Charlotte with the Haunted Eyes

Submitted into Contest #34 in response to: Write a story told entirely through text messages or emails.... view prompt

3 comments

General

CHARLOTTE WITH THE HAUNTED EYES



DANA

As soon as this “stay indoors thing” is lifted, I am going to the movies, I’m going clubbing, I’m going to hug everyone I see.


MADISON

Then you really will get sick


DANA

Always so optimistic. What are you doing right now?


MADISON

Writing a story


DANA

About what?


MADISON

About someone who had a complete nervous breakdown because she couldn’t go clubbing for a few weeks.


DANA

Oh, very funny.  How can you stand being cooped up in that tiny apartment, all alone, every day of the week?


MADISON

It’s not like we’re not allowed to leave. I go to the grocery store when need to. I take a walk every day. And besides, I’m not alone. I have my dolls.


DANA

You’re 40 years old, you live alone, you have an apartment filled with antique dolls. You need to get out more. Don’t you want to meet someone?


MADISON

Not at a club or a bar. I’m a quiet person. And so, what if I collect dolls? Lots of people collect things. Besides, they give me inspiration for my stories.


DANA

You need to get on a dating site. I don’t understand how staring at old dolls inspires you to write. What if you bring a man to your apartment and it’s flooded with dolls? You’re not going to get a man if all you ever do is hide away in your doll cave.


MADISON

1) Dating sites are for people who are desperate

2) I am an independent, successful woman who doesn’t need a man to feel as if I matter or have purpose in life

3) I’ve always had a connection with dolls. They come to life in my mind and tell me stories. And I’ve made a successful career from that


DANA

I know that. I happen to be a fan of your stories. But I’m also your friend. I care about you and worry about you.


MADISON

There is no need to worry. One day I’ll meet someone who respects me and the way I work. And if I don’t, is that really the end of life as we know it?


DANA

How is it possible that you’re not lonely? You’re dolls are lovely things to look at, but they don’t count as companionship?


MADISON

Maybe not for you. But most of the time, they’re all I need. I picked up a real beauty before this quarantine nonsense started—not that I care. People like me weren’t affected by the quarantine at all. But my latest doll is quite large – 30 inches. She wears a gorgeous pink dress, has dark brown hair and haunted eyes.


DANA

Why am I hearing The Twilight Zone theme right now?


MADISON

Hey, that was a good show.  


DANA

What are haunted eyes?


MADISON

Her face has been beautifully sculpted. She’s no more than 18 years old. I named her Charlotte. I don’t have a Charlotte.


DANA

Well, I have heard all writers are mad. Just don’t go the way of Hemingway


MADISON

I never cared for Hemingway. I was always more of a Charles Dickens or Jane Austen person. But let me tell you more about Charlotte. It’ll help me with my rough draft.


DANA

Why not, I have nothing better to do.


MADISON

You probably do but don’t have the good sense to realize there are sources of entertainment beyond Netflix.


DANA

Like Hulu?


MADISON

And you’re worried about me? Anyways…


DANA

Yeah, yeah…Charlotte with the haunted eyes.


MADISON

Someone has broken her heart, and I feel fairly certain she’s going to have some sort of break down and commit murder.


DANA

You’ve never written a story like that before.


MADISON

I know, but I’m so intrigued by Charlotte and why she’s affecting me like this.


DANA

It’s a doll…but she’s not demon possessed, is she? What’s that doll’s name, Annabelle?  


MADISON

There is no real evidence that doll was possessed.


DANA

The doll was real? I thought it was a movie.


MADISON

There was a movie about the Warren doll?


DANA

What?


MADISON

Never mind. Charlotte was a romantic. And some guy broke her heart. Got her pregnant. She had a miscarriage. And her position in society was ruined forever. But being a man, he got away with it of course. And he married someone very wealthy.  


DANA

Guy sounds like a real charmer.


MADISON

Oh, he was. Very handsome. A real smooth talker. Recites poetry. Kisses her hand gently. That’s how it begins anyways.  


DANA

I dated a guy like that once. Turns out he collected Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle memorabilia and it just killed it. You remember Keith, right?


MADISON

Then he moves onto seduction. Takes advantage of her naivete.  


DANA

Maybe not.


MADISON 

Charlotte loses her mind and kills him in a fit of rage.


DANA

Throwing in a gentle reminder that it’s just a doll… (  _  )


MADISON

She’s definitely going to spend some time in an asylum. I’ve always been fascinated by asylums.


DANA

( Ǭ ﹏ Ǭ )


MADISON

She’s either going to escape or they’ll have her so thoroughly brainwashed that she’ll be calm. Or perhaps she’ll learn to fake being calm. But no lobotomies. No, I think she’ll fake being calm and able to function in society. Yes, that will be much more interesting. And it wouldn’t be the right time period for an ice pick lobotomy, as interesting as a topic as that was.


DANA

( ¤ ︹ ¤ )


MADISON

Have you lost your ability to use words?


DANA

Oh, no. It’s just that ASCII faces are so much fun.


MADISON

How do you type them so fast?


DANA

I don’t. I have an app.


MADISON

Of course, you do. Now Charlotte will get out of the asylum and start a life as a recluse somewhere.


DANA

And back to the psycho doll story.


MADISON

Naturally, society will shun her.


DANA

Naturally. (    )


MADISON

For years she will live in isolation. She’ll learn to grow vegetables and hunt for food. But she won’t need much, living alone.


DANA

So, it’s an autobiography now?


MADISON

( ͡ ͦ _ ʖ ͡ ͦ )


DANA

**pride**


MADISON

Perhaps she will make a friend. Maybe an orphaned child, living on the streets, wandering around looking for food. Yes, that sounds good.


DANA

This sounds terrible. Is this haunted eye doll ever going to get a break?


MADISON

This will be the turn of the tide. Now she can finally love someone who loves her back.


DANA

You should totally have a child.


MADISON

This is not about me.


DANA

Sure. Is she going to fall in love?


MADISON

I suppose so, but she’ll be very cautious. She’s broken and wounded. It’ll take him years to win her trust.


DANA

Are they going to have sex?


MADISON

I don’t write sex scenes.


DANA

Right, that would require actually experiencing some.


MADISON

I suppose I’d be wasting my thumb strength to point out that some people can live without sex.


DANA

This is your problem…


MADISON

Anyways… Charlotte will still be haunted by her past, but he also has a past.


DANA

He’s a murderer too?


MADISON

Maybe…I haven’t figured that one out yet. But this might turn into one of those “they healed each other stories.” Ooh! I got it! Maybe his wife died tragically in some horrible asylum! Maybe the same asylum. Maybe she knew the wife and they were friends! I suppose it should have a happy ending.


DANA

If it doesn’t it’ll be the first book you wrote that I refuse to read.


MADISON

Charlotte with the Haunted Eyes. That just might be the title


DANA

Let’s not forget that I’m the one who called her that.


MADISON

I’ll be sure to dedicate the book to you. I’m sitting here looking at those eyes. They’re so life like.


DANA

You’re getting creepy again.


MADISON

The way she’s looking at me right now… watching me…


DANA

Watching you?


MADISON

I wonder if this moment in her face is the moment she cracked and killed.


DANA

Stop it. Now.


MADISON

She’s so incredibly life like. I feel like she’s real.  


DANA

This is what happens when you don’t have a boyfriend.


MADISON

I wonder if she’d kill again. I wonder if she’d kill someone like me.


DANA

Ok. You have officially lost your mind


MADISON

I’m not kidding Dana! I think she’s watching me. I think she’s real. There’s something weird happening here. I…


DANA

Put the damned doll down and just walk outside and take several deep breathes. We can keep you from going completely bonkers if you walk away now.


(1 minute later)


Madison? Hello?


(2 minutes later)


You’re freaking me out Madison! What the hell is wrong with you!


(3 minutes later)


I know you’re just trying to mess with me now.


(4 minutes later)


Damn’t, tell me you’re ok.  


(5 minutes later)


Ok, I’m sorry I made fun of the doll.


MADISON

This is Charlotte. Madison won’t be responding anymore.


DANA

Damn’t Madison! You stop that right now!


MADISON

Oh, she’s stopped.


DANA

Madison! I’m not joking, this is freaking me out! As if a doll from another century would know how to send a text anyways.


MADISON

I am over here laughing so hard!


DANA

Oh, it’s you and not the psycho murdering doll now?


MADISON

Don’t be mad. I’m tired of being lectured because I’m not some man-crazed party animal.


DANA

I don’t mean to lecture you. I just worry about you cooped up with those dolls all day. Do you really want to be a recluse like Charlotte?


MADISON

I want respect. From everyone. And that’s also what Charlotte wants.


DANA

I thought Charlotte wants to be loved.


MADISON

The two go hand in hand. I can’t stand to see women desperate and needy, thinking they’re going to curl up and die without a man.


DANA

Is that what you think of me? A desperate, needy woman?


MADISON

No. You want to have fun. But don’t allow yourself to be taken advantage of by men, like Charlotte.


DANA

Or I’ll have haunted eyes and turn into a murderer?


MADISON

No. But I don’t want to see you broken. Respect yourself. There’re only two things I do well, writing and respecting who I am as a woman.


DANA

I’m an extrovert. I just love being with people. And this quarantine is driving me crazy!


MADISON

When it’s all over I’ll give you a hug and let you go play.


DANA

And you’ll go back to your doll cave afterwards.


MADISON

Dana, I’m fine. We don’t all have to live the same life.


DANA

I want you to have a happy ending


MADISON

Who’s to say I won’t? And who says having a boyfriend is a happy ending?  


DANA

Oh no, I don’t want to do philosophy. Not now. I think I need a brain break.


MADISON

Ah, must be time for binging Hulu.


DANA

That’s an excellent idea.  


MADISON

Fine, you do that, and I’ll write. I’ll see you after the quarantine.


DANA

Let’s hope it’s soon.


MADISON

Me too.


March 28, 2020 00:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Tolu Odel
00:12 Apr 02, 2020

I enjoyed that, it was very engaging. Also, I totally relate with Madison!

Reply

Ann Bryant
19:49 Apr 02, 2020

Thank you very much. I'm very much an introvert, but I do not collect dolls. I believe most introverts have an extroverted friend that they love but also drives them crazy.

Reply

Tolu Odel
03:15 Apr 03, 2020

Yes, that's so true.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.