1 comment

Mystery Fiction

The Photograph

Sara's day started like any other: a dull routine that included waking up, making coffee, and heading off to her monotonous job at the local library. But today, something was different. As she pulled out an old book from the dusty shelf, a yellowed photograph slipped from between the pages and fluttered to the floor. Intrigued, she bent down to pick it up.

The photograph depicted a group of people, their faces frozen in time, laughing and enjoying what seemed to be a summer picnic. The image was faded, but she could make out a familiar face among them – her mother. Sara's heart skipped a beat. Her mother had died when Sara was just a child, leaving behind a box of memories she barely remembered.

Clutching the photograph, Sara felt an inexplicable urge to uncover the story behind it. She tucked the photo into her bag and finished her shift in a haze, her mind racing with questions. Why had she never seen this picture before? Who were the other people in the photograph? And what was her mother doing there?

As soon as she got home, Sara retrieved the old box of her mother's belongings from the attic. She sifted through the contents, a mix of letters, postcards, and trinkets, but found nothing that seemed connected to the photograph. Frustrated but determined, she decided to visit her grandmother, the only living relative who might have answers.

The Visit

Sara's grandmother, Evelyn, lived in a quaint cottage on the outskirts of town. The old woman welcomed her with a warm hug, her eyes twinkling with curiosity when Sara mentioned the photograph.

"Let me see it," Evelyn said, settling into her favorite armchair. Sara handed over the picture, watching as her grandmother's expression shifted from curiosity to surprise, and finally to nostalgia.

"Oh my," Evelyn murmured. "I haven't seen this in years."

"Who are they?" Sara asked, unable to contain her curiosity.

Evelyn smiled wistfully. "This was taken in the summer of 1975. That picnic was one of the happiest days of our lives. That's your mother, of course, and these are her friends from college. They used to spend a lot of time together."

Sara leaned forward. "What happened to them? Why don't I know any of these people?"

Evelyn's smile faded. "After that summer, things changed. Life took them in different directions. But there was one incident that fractured their group. It was never spoken of again."

Sara's curiosity burned brighter. "What incident?"

Evelyn hesitated, then sighed. "It's a long story. Are you sure you want to hear it?"

Sara nodded. "I need to know."

The Incident

Evelyn took a deep breath and began to recount the story. "It was a typical summer day. They decided to go hiking in the woods near the lake. Your mother loved those woods; she said they were magical. Everything was fine until they reached the old cabin."

"Cabin?" Sara interrupted. "What cabin?"

"It's an old place deep in the woods. Legend has it, it's haunted. But they were young and adventurous, so they decided to explore it."

Sara listened intently as Evelyn continued.

"They went inside, and at first, it was all fun and games. But then, something happened. Your mother found a hidden room behind a bookshelf. Inside, there was an old trunk filled with strange artifacts and a diary. The diary belonged to a woman named Eliza, who lived there in the early 1900s. It told a tragic story of love and loss, and a curse that was supposedly placed on the cabin."

Sara's eyes widened. "A curse?"

Evelyn nodded. "The diary said that anyone who disturbed the trunk would be cursed with misfortune. At first, they didn't believe it. But strange things started happening. One by one, they experienced accidents and tragedies. Your mother was convinced the curse was real, but by then, it was too late. The group fell apart, each of them trying to escape the curse in their own way."

Sara shivered. "What happened to them?"

Evelyn looked sad. "Most of them left town, trying to start over. Some didn't make it. Your mother never talked about it again. She kept the photograph as a reminder of happier times, before the curse."

The Journey

Sara sat in stunned silence, the weight of the story sinking in. She looked at the photograph again, her mind filled with questions and a newfound determination. She needed to find that cabin and the diary. She needed to know if the curse was real and if it still had a hold on her family.

The next day, armed with a map and supplies, Sara set out for the woods. She followed the path described by her grandmother, winding deeper into the forest. Hours passed, and the sun began to set, casting eerie shadows through the trees. Just as she was about to turn back, she spotted it – the cabin, hidden behind a thick grove of trees.

Sara approached cautiously, her heart pounding. The cabin was old and decrepit, its windows shattered and the door hanging off its hinges. She stepped inside, the floorboards creaking under her weight. The air was thick with dust and the smell of decay.

She found the bookshelf her grandmother had mentioned and, with some effort, managed to move it aside. Behind it was a small door, just as described. Her hands trembled as she opened it, revealing the hidden room.

The trunk was still there, untouched. Sara knelt down and opened it, finding the artifacts and the diary just as her grandmother had said. She carefully picked up the diary, its leather cover worn and cracked. As she flipped through the pages, she felt a chill run down her spine. The diary's final entry was a warning, written in a shaky hand:

"To whoever finds this, beware. The curse is real. Do not disturb the trunk, or you will suffer as I have."

The Decision

Sara sat back, her mind racing. She didn't believe in curses, but the coincidence of the tragedies was hard to ignore. She knew she had to do something, but what? Destroy the trunk? Leave it alone?

As she pondered, she heard a noise from outside. Her heart leapt into her throat as she turned to see a figure standing in the doorway. It was a man, his face hidden in the shadows.

"Who are you?" Sara demanded, trying to keep her voice steady.

The man stepped forward, revealing a weathered face and sad eyes. "My name is David. I was one of your mother's friends."

Sara's heart skipped a beat. "David? You're one of the people in the photograph!"

He nodded. "I've been watching the cabin, hoping someone would come. We need to break the curse."

Sara's mind raced. "How? What do we do?"

David took a deep breath. "We need to return everything to where it belongs. The artifacts, the diary – they were taken from a sacred place. If we return them, we might be able to lift the curse."

The Ritual

With David's help, Sara carefully gathered the artifacts and the diary. They made their way deeper into the woods, following a path only David seemed to know. Eventually, they reached a clearing with a stone altar in the center. It was ancient, covered in moss and vines.

David placed the artifacts on the altar, arranging them carefully. Sara placed the diary in the center. Together, they recited the words from the diary's final entry, a plea for forgiveness and peace.

As they finished, a strange calm settled over the clearing. The air seemed lighter, and for the first time, Sara felt a sense of relief. She turned to David, who was smiling for the first time.

"It's over," he said softly. "The curse is lifted."

The Aftermath

Sara returned home with a sense of closure she hadn't expected. She visited her grandmother, sharing the story of what had happened. Evelyn listened with tears in her eyes, grateful that the burden of the past had finally been lifted.

The photograph found a new place in Sara's home, a reminder of the journey she had taken and the secrets she had uncovered. She knew her life would never be the same, but she felt a sense of peace knowing that her mother's past had finally been put to rest.

July 06, 2024 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Beverly Goldberg
05:43 Jul 15, 2024

Intriguing story. Scary at moments, stretching the bounds of belief, but forcing the reader to go on. I think her finding the book in the library covered in dust doesn't make a lot of sense. In fact, it almost stopped me from reading on. Why was it there and not in her house. Dust in a library? If you rework that opening, I think the story would be stronger.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.