2 comments

Science Fiction

Dearest colleagues, fellow visionaries, Librans (I know you warned us all), and all our luminous divination students,

It is with a heavy heart, and the resignation that comes with Mars leaving Cancer, that I write this message. As I am certain you already know from the tone I have taken up, it is I who have been chosen to Enter the Rocket. I will be moon bound when you receive this email. 

I am sure you can all visualise the last two months of my terror and hiding, but I have finally accepted my fate, and I understand that it is both my obligation and my calling to enter the rocket. My Moon, Luna, Mother, Maan, Tungi, Inyanga, Goddess of Blood tides, Mood Mistress, Holder of Memories, The Big Cheese, The Old Man, The One Eyed Rabbit with a Shopping Basket will be graced with my presence and I will face my fear and doubt, and receive what she offers.

Let me be clear and up front here, even though this morning’s one card reading, The Oracle Owl, showed that I was the victim of a hidden agenda. Being part of a scorned and maligned community is difficult enough without the bickering and backstabbing that happens within. Once again, Librans, I know you know exactly what I am referring to. So, I can only assume that it was you, my very own peers, fellow adherents, and Ouija board members, that secretly offered my name to be put into the draw. I take that both as a high compliment and also as shocking criticism. While you were able to sell me to the scientists, engineers and astronomers of NAGA as the best divinationist and moonologer our organisation has to offer, you also reveal that you think me totally dispensable should the mission fail. How much did they offer you for me? In the past we have refused to choose one of our kind, allowing for the random selection process, the blind draw, to pick who will go, haven’t we?

Now that I think about it, I was suspicious about how coldly I was treated at last year’s convention. You will know that my paper, ‘Moon, Tides, Revenge and Forgiveness’ has been a phenomenon on the esoteric circuit and has shifted our ability to both interpret and intuit when it comes to the moon. So, the mild and muted response I received from you, my fellow sky diviners should have been telling. Perhaps I was too devoted to the acute and powerful meaning of my work to see that there were opposing forces of jealousy directed at me, even then.

Leila Bear Follower, Jade Goddess, Servan Irudan, Third i@i, I forgive you in advance, but cannot release you from the karmic debt you will surely pay. 

In overcoming my fear, and discovering the dark side,

Heartdrop Lotus Wo-Manifester 

Dearest colleagues, fellow visionaries,

Well take a look at this. I type this email ensconced in a space seat. In two hours, we will be taking off. While my nerves are in shreds, I look to my fellow travellers as examples and they calm my turgid senses.

Now to the essence of what my departure means. Unlike past diviners who have made the journey, I will not be relinquishing the extensive list of my loyal clients to the diviners’ board to be divided up amongst yourselves. I have worked too hard for that.  No, I have established new relationships with my five fellow travellers who are all the cream of the crop in their chosen scientific fields. As you can see, they have set up remote comms for me and I will work, from here on the rocket AND on Mother Moon. While sceptical and dismissive in the beginning, it does seem that they are all coming around to me, and two of them have already sent less cynical emails with probing questions about my abilities. So there!

What is more, as you may have seen on TV, I was able to convince NAGA to launch on Budding Moon and not Hunter’s Moon; three vital days apart, but I don’t need to tell you. I want you to know this. This is the first time a suggestion from one of us has ever been considered. In fact, the new launch project manager sent me a thank you cheese selection and a note that made mention of last year’s disastrous choice of trying to leave on Bony Moon. 

I sit here wondering if your plan to send me off may have backfired a teeny bit. No matter. I am already making the best of a fraught and traumatic situation. 

Love and Moonlight

Heartdrop Lotus Wo-Manifester 

Dear fellow moonologists, astrologists, diviners,

I cannot begin to express what this moment means. I write this from the surface of the chunky, chalkiness of our Womb Moon Mother, looking back at my last earth home with wonder and amazement. 

I have not been able to read cards traditionally since arrival, even though we are still contained inside our section of the rocket, because of the variance in gravity. Instead I throw them and pick out a seven-card selection from air, before they fall down. Today I did a single one card message throw, and I am sitting with the Raven Caller. I can’t shake off the strong sensation that I have slipped through into an alternate space, unrecognisable from the material world we think we know. 

I think of you, my community of visioners, less with the resentment and anger I had on my departure and more with a calm clarity that this most feared experience is the ONLY way to understand the work we do, the world we inhabit. I am almost close to thanking you for selling me to the scientists, even though it is by sheer accident that this journey, from which there will be no return in the psy-sense, has been the most revealing learning curve. 

I can’t see you from here. I am looking in another direction.

Heartdrop Lotus Wo-Manifester 

Dear ex colleagues, ex friends, ex compatriots,

In a truth or dare circle last night (we were celebrating the body timed menstrual cycles of the two females in the rocket) I got to the bottom of why you chose me. Leila Bear Follower, I am shaken by your bold and malicious intent and the deliberate manipulation you employed to get me here. This whole journey. This whole irreversible and life altering mission that you deliberately chose for me, all because you could not ever forgive me for Lenora. I implore you. It was a spiritual connection in the ether. I am not responsible for the fact that she left your readings for mine. I am shocked at the petty truth of your machinations. 

You knew at the outset I was never to return. You chose me because you understood I was the sacrifice. These are not only scientists, engineers, mathematicians and astronomers. They are also Blood Moon believers and I am the blood. They have been waiting for my cycle. 

No matter. The stars, moon, sky, space, galaxy, universe have received me. I am being initiated in the purest way. The door is being prepared. I have no suit or defences to protect me. 

Heartdrop Lotus Wo-Manifester 

July 31, 2020 07:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Crystal Lewis
06:14 Aug 04, 2020

Certainly a very interesting concept and a good story. Nice :)

Reply

Megan Furniss
06:36 Aug 04, 2020

Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.