5 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Elisha found himself standing in front of the door to the tavern. But he could not bring himself to enter. From the inside, he could hear everyone having a good time. Finally being able to engage in revelry after a decade apart. But what would they think of him? How would they react to choices he made since their parting? “Pull yourself together man.” He whispered to himself. He wasn’t afraid to commit the most dastardly crimes all those years ago. He shouldn’t be afraid to see the closest thing he had to a family. Elisha took a deep breath and opened up the squeaky door 

Everyone stopped in their tracks. Familiar faces, old and young, stared blankly at Elisha. Until. An eruption of cheer burst from his old bandit crew. A few came up to embrace and shake hands. 

“The drink’s on me kid.” A scraggly looking man patted him on the back, who Elisha knew as Four Fingered Vance. Though it appeared he lost another finger since they had last seen each other. 

“Thanks Vance.” Elisha looked to the younger, much cleaner looking gentlemen beside Vance. “Kory? Is that you?” 

“At your service.” Kory was wearing very nice clothing, and jewelry to boot. All of it most definitely stolen.

“My god the last I saw you, you only reached up to my hip. And look at you now. All grown up, and still wearing fancy clothes!” 

“It’s amazing how gullible the esteemed folks of Arnid can be.” Kory took off one of his rings. “Here, take this one. Conned it off some Captain for a boat that doesn’t exist.” 

Gods Kory hadn’t changed a bit. 

“Vance what are we drinking tonight?” Elisha asked. 

“Only the finest. We bought, with real money, a barrel of Pelian Blanc.” 

“Real money huh? One of us must have done well for ourselves.” 

“Believe it or not, it was Jester who went legit.” 

Elisha laughed, not believing his ears. “I’ll have to catch up with him tonight.” 

“Yes! Go grab a glass and join us.” 

Elisha took Vance’s advice and went to the bar. Blackjack Gilbert was manning the station, keeping the drinks flowing. 

“Gilbert, my old friend. How are you?” 

“Good.” He replied, handing Elisha the wine glass. 

“Alright. I’ll be over there.” For Elisha, that was one of the better conversations with Gilbert. One word was probably more than the others were able to get out of him. 

Elisha scanned the room. There were many different groups scattered around. He saw Old Dog Osborne reminiscing about their old feats, embellishing them of course. Old Dog was considered old when Elisha joined the gang many years ago. Only the gods knew how he was still kicking. In other parts of the tavern, Helen the Crazy was drunk dancing. No surprise there. Gannon Bandana was comparing weapons with Pegleg Lindon. Where were the twins Elisha wondered. Ah, Steven and Stephen were rough housing in the corner. A wonder they haven't killed each other yet. One face he didn’t find was their old leader. The man that planned this reunion, Angel Eyes. 

Elisha walked up to each group and joined conversations. Nothing was forced and everyone felt right back at home. Like the last they’d seen each other was only yesterday. It was a great evening. Filled with stories, drinking games, friendly competitions, and much dancing and singing. They used to have a singer and banjo player in the gang but he fell out of a castle window years back. 

“Elisha, over here!” Vance yelled across the room. He was speaking with Crackpot Maverick and a woman Elisha had never seen before. 

“It's a madhouse in here. I didn’t expect such a large turnout.” Elisha said to the group once he reached them.

“Me either, kid. Angel Eyes really did something special here. Though I wonder where the bastard is.” 

“I heard inklings that he’s planning to reform the gang.” Maverick chimed in. 

“A ridiculous thing!” The beautiful woman clinging to Maverick’s arm barked.

“Who might this be, Mav?” Elisha asked.

“Oh this pretty thing is my wife Martha.”

“Wow. Out of all the people to settle down, I never expected it to be you. Whorehouses being your favorite place and all...” Elisha saw the concerned look on Martha’s face and the look on Mavericks, screaming shut up.

Vance burst into laughter and raised his pint. 

“So, anyway. You guys seen Peirson around here?” Elisha said, changing the subject.

Maverick’s tone changed. “You didn’t hear?”

Clearly, Elisha didn’t.

“Well, he unfortunately got himself into the pirate scene. His ship was destroyed by the Ebbeth Royal Navy. Fucking bastards.”

Oh gods. The Ebbeth Royalty was exactly who Elisha worked for after the dissolution of the gang. What better way to go into hiding than inside the ranks of your enemy? Elisha’s head raced. Could any of his actions have caused Pierson’s death? As much as he tried to lead the Royals astray of his crew’s whereabouts, he still technically worked for them. 

“I know you and him were close, kid.” Vance patted him on the back. 

Everyone heard the squeaky door to the tavern swing open once more. It was the one and only, Angel Eyes.

More glasses were raised and celebration ensued. Even Gilbert struck a smile.

“Late to your own party!” Vance shouted. 

Angel flashed his pearly whites. He still looked as good as the day Elisha had last seen him. What was Angel doing in his time of hiding, Elisha wondered. 

“Toast!” Many yelled. 

People tried handing cups and goblets and glasses and mugs to Angel. He took a mug of ale and climbed atop a table. “Simmer down folks. Simmer down.” The chaos turned to calm at Angel’s orders. “Seems everyone is getting along nicely. Well, except for Steven and Stephen of course.”

The crowd laughed. Steven had Stephen in a headlock, they both found it amusing. 

“How long has it been? A decade?” Angel asked. 

“Four thousand and sixty five days.” Alize the Snake called out.

“I see our book keeper’s still got it. It only feels like just yesterday we were running jobs in Oxbourne and Ebbeth. Gods those days were good. Who remembers our job with Ezeal?” 

“Is that the one where we dressed as lute players and crashed that mansion party?” 

“No!” Old Dog Osborne shouted. “You weren’t even there for that one. Ezeal hired us to protect her from the mob. We fended off thousands that day in glorious combat! People took us seriously after that.”

“I wouldn’t call five citizens with pitchforks thousands. But your stories did build our reputation Osbourne, and we thank you for that.” Everyone gave Osbourne a round of applause. He brushed it off. “But it's stories like that, that feeling, that I miss. Don’t you all miss that?” 

Everyone murmured amongst each other. Who didn't miss the good ole days? But everyone had it in their heads those days were over. Either due to age, or an actual family, or a job. 

“I want to get right down to it. I brought everyone here today for a very specific purpose. Not just to get drunk.” Angel glared at Helen, who laughed in return. “I want to reform the crew. We still have so much potential. We are stronger together and you all know that! Who’s with me!” Angel raised his fist, expecting cheer. But he received silence instead. 

People looked down at their feet, unsure what to say. It was too big of a decision to drop their lives and join back into danger and uncertainty. 

“Guys?”

“Look Angel,” Maverick approached from the back, Martha still on his arm. “I would love to rejoin again. But I’ve got obligations now. I’ve got a wife. That chapter of my life is done. Martha and I have barely begun our own.” Maverick finished his drink. “Thanks for the night Angel. It was fun seeing everyone again.” Maverick made a swift exit of the tavern.

Others joined him. They said their goodbyes, finished their drinks, grabbed some for the road, and left in a near single file line. About half the crew remained.

Angel Eyes looked hurt. But what did he expect? 

Gannon Bandana stepped forward, his huge claymore laid over his shoulder. “Angel, I’ll rejoin. But on one condition. We kick out that traitorous bastard.” Gannon pointed the claymore directly at Elisha.  

“You better know what you’re talking about before threatening one of our own Gannon.” Vance came to the defence. 

“He’s working for the Ebbeth Royalty! Isn’t that right Elisha?” 

Now people we’re really up in arms. Curses were thrown. Vance stopped Helen from tossing her drink. 

Angel’s demeanor did not change. “Let the man explain himself. Elisha, is this true?” 

Elisha stayed silent for a moment before mustering up enough strength to speak. “Yes. It’s true. It was my only way to live without being caught. They still don’t even know who I used to be.” 

“So you worked there voluntarily?” Gannon stepped aggressively towards Elisha. 

“Let me explain. After the last job, after we fucked them over, I knew they would be after us all. I joined their ranks posing as an Officer from Wintercrest. I knew they would have positions to fill, thanks to us. There was an almost immediate search for everyone. Angel was their first target. If it wasn’t for me, Angel, and everyone else in the crew would have been hunted down and killed. I planted false evidence, leading them to the far reaches of the continent.” 

Everyone thought for a moment. It was a compelling narrative. But the trust was already broken.

“If what you say is true, then we have you in our thanks.” Angel put a hand on Elisha’s shoulder.

“Angel, I’m out if you let him in.” Gannon started towards the door.

“Gannon stop.” Angel turned his attention back to Elisha. “Elisha, don’t think for a second we think of you any less. But the context is different now. You’ll also be worried about our trust in you. We’ll have a constant worry over your other motives. If you really care for us, you’ll step down.”

The others were on the verge of joining Gannon. There would be no gang with Elisha involved and he knew that.

Elisah looked to Angel and smiled. “You’re right.”

A sigh of relief came from the others. Though it still pained them to lose yet another member. 

“God we had some good times though, didn’t we?” Elisha tried to lighten the mood. He already accepted the situation.

“Damn right we did.” Angel Eyes replied. 

“Oh the stories we’ll write of your past deeds!” Old Dog Osborne blurted out. 

“Don’t embellish them too much old man.”

“It’s killing me to see you go kid?” Vance had a tear welling up. 

“Don’t worry guys, seriously. The Ebbeth pay surprisingly well. I’ll keep them off your tail.” Elisha hugged everyone goodbye and stepped towards the door.

“Erm, just make sure they stay clear of Gornath for a bit. We all have some business over there.” Angel winked. 

Elisha couldn’t know if that information was true or not. But he simply nodded and closed the door to the tavern behind him.

February 06, 2021 04:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

12:36 Feb 15, 2021

Hey! This is a great story, very evocative, and the relationship between the characters is very believable. I especially enjoyed the lines, "A scraggly looking man patted him on the back, who Elisha knew as Four Fingered Vance. Though it appeared he lost another finger since they had last seen each other." I also really like your placename choices (Wintercrest, Oxbourne, Ebbeth) they're realistic and not too complicated, which I really liked. Some *very* minor editing points, there is usually a comma before a name in speech (for instance,...

Reply

Ethan Jarmush
01:23 Feb 18, 2021

Really appreciate the critique. Glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:47 Feb 12, 2021

This is amazing! You really captured each individual voice, I really felt invested in each character and their story even though we never saw their adventures. The way the characters separated made sense, and so did Ange Eye's desire to bring them together in the first place, as well as his saddened confusion when they didn't share his sentiments. This is by far one of my favorite stories, it's the kind of writing I aspire to achieve. Well done Ethan, you did a fantastic job!

Reply

Ethan Jarmush
01:25 Feb 18, 2021

You are far too kind. Nice to know people like what I write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Max Pardoe
01:53 Feb 11, 2021

Dam, this guy should have much morer followers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.