0 comments

Mystery

“This summer has been so boring.” My best friend, Julia said.

“You’re right. I mean we were summer camp counselors and did the occasional volunteering here and there for our college applications but other than that we have been bored half of the time.” I said.

My name is Rosalyn Aster and my best friend is Julia Benet. Julia’s parents died in a car accident when she was seven years old so since then, she’s been living with me and my parents. We are about to enter our junior year of high school now and are just waiting for school to open back up again for the year.

We heard a pair of car tires screech and jumped up to see what had happened. A nice new car had parked in front of the house next door and out climbed a tall handsome man. He seemed to be in his late thirties with slicked back black hair and wore a nice silk suit. The passenger door opened and out climbed a beautiful woman with brown hair and slim figure. She also wore a pants suit. This woman was beautiful. I’m sure she could give Angelina Jolie a run for her money if she were to become an actress. Then, the door of the backseat opened and out climbed the most handsome guy I’d ever seen. He had shaggy black hair and wore a silk button down shirt and pants. He seemed to be around our age.

“Whoa.” I breathed out.

“Who are these people?”

“Beats me.” Julia said.

“Though, they all seem attractive.”

The man opened their trunk and the boy lifted out their luggage while the woman went on to open their door.

Just then, a U-Haul truck parked in the driveway and the movers began to move in sofas, dining tables, chairs, desks and a television set.

The moving process might have taken about an hour or so until the man seemed to be paying one of the movers and they drove off in their truck. We watched as the couple and their son went inside their house to settle in.

“I wonder where these people came from. They appear to be too wealthy to live in this neighborhood. They should go live in a mansion or something.” I said.

“Yeah, but they’re only a family of three. Maybe a mansion is too big for them to live in.” Julia pointed out.

“That’s true.” I said.

Julia and I ate a snack and then decided to take a walk to the park.

When we got there, we found our neighbor, the handsome boy who looked much more attractive than Robert Patterson, sitting there on one of the benches, writing or drawing something on a notepad. He wore a casual collared shirt and jeans.

He looked up and we met eyes. I held my breath and quickly looked away.

“Somebody’s got a crush.” Julia sang.

“Shut up!” I whisper-snapped at her and went to the swings.

Julia pushed me until I was able to swing high and then got on another swing. We had a little swinging competition to see who could go higher until we were sure that our swings would flip over the pole holding the swings if we didn’t stop.

We soon stopped swinging and just sat on the swings, talking about random things.

“Excuse me.” I heard a voice say and I looked up to meet a pair of gray eyes. His eyes were so gray; they looked like they could actually be the color of silver. I unconsciously held my breath and stared at this handsome boy.

We seemed to stare at each other for some time until we heard someone clear their throat. It was Julia.

“Well, if you both are going to be just staring at each other like that, I might as well go.” She said and got off the swing.

The boy sat on the swing and the both of us continued to stare at each other like that.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude. I only wanted to introduce myself to you. My name is Adam, what’s yours?” the boy said.

“Rosalyn.” I said.

“Beautiful name for a beautiful girl like you.” Adam said.

“Thank you.” I said, blushing.

“I see that you’re my next door neighbor. You should come over some time.” Adam said.

I stared at him for a second. Did this handsome guy who I may be potentially crushing on just invite me to his house? No way.

“Um, sure thing.” I said.

“Do you want to swing? I can push you.” Adam said.

I let him push me until I was able to swing high again and then Adam got on the swings and we had a swinging competition. We talked about everything, where he came from, what his parents were like and what they did for a living.

Sometime later, Julia walked up to us. I found her staring at Adam.

“Hey, Julia. This is Adam. Adam this is Julia, my best friend who I told you about.” I said.

“Hello.” Adam said.

“Um, hi.” Julia said.

“Rose, we have to go back home before your parents start worrying about where we are. The sun is setting, too.”

“Yeah, we do.” I said.

“It was nice meeting you, Adam.” I said.

“Same here.” Adam said.

“I hope to see you again soon!”

“Same.” I said.

After we said bye, Julia and I were walking back home.

“I knew you had a crush on him.” Julia said.

“Well, he is pretty hot.” I said.

“I don’t blame you.” Julia said.

I playfully nudged her and rolled my eyes at her.

We came back home to see my parents eating dinner. Julia and I got ourselves plates and we sat down to join my parents.

“I see that our new neighbors came in today. We should make a pie for them.” my mom said.

“Yeah, Julia and I met their son at the park today.” I said.

“Oh, really?” my dad said.

“What’s his name?”

“Adam.” Julia said.

“I say we go over to their house right after eating breakfast tomorrow.” My mom said.

After dinner was eaten, my mom and I decided to make a Pecan Pie. Three hours later, our beautiful pecan pie was finally made.

“It looks so delicious that I want to take a bite.” Julia said.

“We can make another one. This is for our new neighbors.” My mom said, putting it in the fridge.

That night, I took a shower and brushed my teeth. Just as I was about to turn the lights off for bed, I pushed my curtains aside and found Adam in his room.

He seemed to come to his window and the both of us just stood there, staring at each other for some time.

I turned away and drew back my curtains in place, turned off the lights and fell asleep on my bed.

The next morning, I woke up, brushed my teeth and changed into a baby blue summer dress that I usually wore on summer occasions. I let my long blonde hair down in waves and put on some makeup. Deciding I looked decent, I went down the stairs.

After eating breakfast, my mom took the pie out of the fridge and put in a cardboard box.

“I hope our neighbors will like it.” she said.

I don’t know why I felt so nervous. I mean Julia and I had already met Adam and I had already learned about his parents. What was there to be nervous about?

We soon arrived at their house and my dad rang the doorbell.

Adam’s mom who looked even more beautiful than Angelina Jolie opened the door.

My parents stared at her in awe.

Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail and wore a tank top and leggings.

“Yes, how can I help you?” she said impatiently.

“Hi, um we’re your new neighbors and we just wanted to say hi.” I spoke up.

“Hello.” She said and then was about to close the door in our face when we heard, “Mom is that Rosalyn? I told her she could come over.”

The door widened and we saw Adam. His hair was dripping wet as if he had taken a shower. He wore a black muscle shirt and gray shorts.

“Yes, they can come in.” Adam’s mom said and opened the door for us to come in.

“Thank you.” My dad said as we all stepped inside.

“Is that for us?” Adam said, eyeing the box that had the pie in it.

“Yes, it is. I hope you like pecan pies.” Mom said.

“Oh, we love pecan pies! Thank you so much for bringing some over. I’ll put it in the refrigerator for now so my parents and I can have it later.” Adam said.

I wondered why Adam seemed more welcoming and polite than his mother. His mother obviously didn’t want us here.

“Well, we’ll just be going along on our merry way.” I said, about to usher my parents and Julia out of this godforsaken place.

“No, please stay.” Adam said, a pleading look in his eyes.

“Just for two minutes?”

“Okay.” I said.

“Why don’t you come upstairs? I’ll show you my room.” Adam said, ushering me towards the stairs.

I took a glance at my parents and Julia and then turned to go upstairs.

“Wow, is this your room?” I asked, looking around.

There were Styrofoam decorated planets, stars, sun and the moon hanging from the ceiling, an artist’s easel, a fish tank, a karaoke machine, guitar and piano in the room. Finally, I looked at the bookshelf, dresser and desk.

“Yeah, it is. Do you like it?” Adam asked.

“I love it.” I said.

“Adam, I have a question. Why is your mom so rude?”

“She just doesn’t like people.” Adam said.

“She feels like she has to deal with enough people at work.”

I stood there, pondering over what Adam said. I looked up to find Adam gazing at me.

“What is it?” I said, softly.

“It’s just that I…” Adam began to say but then shook his head.

“Tell me.” I said.

“I know we barely met yesterday but I like you. It’s okay if you don’t feel the same about me.” Adam said.

“I…I like you too, Adam.” I said.

“Really?” Adam said, brightening up.

I nodded and felt myself coming closer to Adam until we were so close to each other. Adam closed the gap and kissed my lips. He kissed so softly and gently and then slowly pulled away.

I opened my eyes and looked up at Adam.

“You’re even more beautiful close up.” Adam said.

I shyly smiled at him and then jumped when I heard my mom calling, “Rosalyn! It’s time to go, honey.”

Adam chuckled at me and I playfully glared at him. The both of us went downstairs and said bye to each other.

I gave Adam one last look before I waved at him and turned away.

“What a rude woman.” My mom said, shaking her head as we walked back to our house.

“So, what happened upstairs?” Julia asked me.

“We kissed.” I whispered, touching my still tingling lips.

“No way!” Julia squealed.

“Shh!” I said, scared my parents would overhear what happened and disapprove of it.

“Not a word to mom and dad, okay?” I said.

Julia nodded and then squealed some more. I rolled my eyes as we entered our house.

That night just before going to bed, Adam and I stared at each other through our windows. I waved to him and he waved back. I turned and closed the lights to go to sleep.

The days passed as Adam and I would secretly meet up at the park and spend the day together. I felt Adam and I were meant for each other and that nothing would separate us.

Little did I know that I was wrong.

It was the first day of junior year now. I woke up, took a shower, brushed my teeth and got ready for school.

I grabbed my backpack and knocked on Julia’s room.

“I’m ready!” she said as she opened the door.

We both ate breakfast and got in my car so I could drive the both of us to school. I got to school in ten minutes and parked my car in the school parking lot.

The both of us caught up to meet my best friend, Ashley.

“Rosalyn! Julia!” Ashley, our best friend said catching up to us.

“Hi, Ashley!” Julia said and hugged her.

“Hey, Ash!” I said and hugged her as well.

“How has your summer been?” Ashley said.

“Well.” I began to say when we saw a black McLaren p1 GTR car pull up in the school parking lot.

The students who had been hanging around in front of the school looked to see whose car that was. The entire door seemed to open and out came a really handsome guy out of the car.

Wait a second. Was that Adam?

“Adam?” Julia said.

“Wait, you guys know him?” Ashley asked.

“Yeah, he’s our next door neighbor.” I said.

“What? No way.” Ashley said.

Everyone stared at Adam as he walked to the school and opened its doors. There was a stunned silence before everyone began talking about him.

“Who is he? He’s seriously handsome! Does he even belong at this school?”

“He has to be mine!” one of the girls said before her friends started arguing with her.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

“Let’s go, girls.”

All throughout the day, everyone was trying to be Adam’s best friend.

The boys were curious about him and the girls wanted to get into a relationship with him.

“Maybe we should talk to him.” Julia said as we saw what was happening between classes.

I shook my head and walked on to our next class.

The week had passed now and it seemed Adam had forgotten who I was and that we had ever met. We stopped waving to each other before going to bed at night and he had even gotten himself a new girlfriend. It was Dana, the most beautiful and popular cheerleader at our school.

Two weeks had passed and it was Friday. Dana had invited half of the school to her house for a party she would be hosting at her mansion tonight.

“I got an invitation.” Julia said as we were walking to our lockers to collect our textbooks.

“Throw it away or give it to someone else.” I said, rolling my eyes.

“No way and I’m taking you along with me.” Julia said.

 “Why? Just so Dana can insult me in front of everyone there? No thank you.” I said.

“Just give it a chance, Rose. Adam will be there, too.” Julia said.

I sighed.

“Fine, I’m coming.”

Deciding a quick nap wouldn’t hurt; I got into my pajamas, lay down on my bed and closed my eyes when I got home.

The party would start at 7:00 and it was 6:45 now. Julia and I admired ourselves in the mirror.

Julia wore a red lace dress with matching heels and jewelry. I wore a royal blue silk dress with matching flats. The both of us had done our hair in curls.

I felt nervous as I pulled up to the parking lot.

“It’ll be okay.” Julia said and the both of us got out.

I rang the doorbell and opened it to see Dana. She wore a golden evening gown and jewelry.

“What are you doing here? I don’t believe I invited you.” She said.

“I brought her here.” Julia said.

“Well, now that you’re here. Come on in.” Dana said and let us in.

We step into the living room where people are dancing to some music and drinking like the world is about to end.

Then, I saw Adam. He looked at me and we met eyes. He takes a swig from his bottle of beer and turns away.

“Why are you looking at my boyfriend like that?” Dana asked.

I shook my head and went to the refreshments table. Julia and I get something to eat but I’m unable to eat what’s on my plate so I throw it away.

It’s almost 1:00 in the morning now so Julia and I get in my car to go home.

I pulled the car into the street. Just as I was about to drive, I found Adam’s McLaren p1 GTR in front of me. It seemed to be driving sideways on the road until it crashed into an 18- wheeler.

I sat there in shock at what had happened in front of me while Julia fished her phone out of her purse and called 911.

The paramedics arrived in an ambulance and pulled out Adam and his friends’ bloody bodies out of the crumpled up expensive car.

We rushed to the hospital and found out he was in the ICU, on the brink of death.

The doctors let me visit him and I found Adam, his head and jaw were wrapped in bandages and he had a breathing machine hooked up to him.

“Please don’t die, Adam. I really need you. I love you. I forgive you for forgetting about me and being with Dana. I forgive you for never paying attention to me after school started. Just come back to me. Please!” I said and cried.

A week had passed now and the doctors told me he wouldn’t be able to make it. I met up with Adam’s parents and we hugged and cried.

Adam’s funeral had happened and I realized that I would never be able to see him again.

“Rose! Rose, wake up! We’re going to be late to the party!” Julia said, shaking me.

“Huh?” I said, waking up.

“We’re going to be late to the party!” Julia said.

August 01, 2020 03:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.