2 comments

Fiction Friendship Adventure

Broken Talks

FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) Glynco, GA

The Class of 2008, begin their walk to their assigned classrooms. Mack McCauley, a Caucasian man with short lack and gray marine cropped hair wearing a dark polo shirt and khaki pants is joined by Robert “Badge” Mitchell a Caucasian man with short G-man cut brown hair and beard with justice blue eyes and glasses wears a white dress shirt and black plum necktie and khaki brown dress pants and walking with a cane and carrying an FBI PERT Kit escorts Mack to his assigned classroom. “ Okay Mack, it was good to see you again since Baghdad and I hope your manners are professional when dealing with Dr. Fox, she is a hottie but can be a pain in the neck for a Former SEAL like yourself.”

“This isn't Dr. Fox from the USS Comfort or was it the USS Mercy. She was pretty tough on me during my rehab after the Baghdad crisis.”

“She was recruited by the Admiral. So I am pretty sure it's the same Lass. Have fun in her

Forensic Pathology Class. I need to hurry over to my class about Computer Forensics during a White Collar Case. So have fun and I will catch up with you later for that Atlanta Falcons game that I got from the FBI SAC in Atlanta since she had to fly up to New York. Be good I don't want to hear how much of an ass you are from Dr. Fox. See ya later man.”

“You better buy the first round at the game Sunday. I will need it from that woman.”

“Cheer up, Mack, you know you want her. Gotta Run,” comments Mitchell as he heads for his classroom.

“Easy for you to say G-man,” mumbles Mack to himself as he follows several other cadets wearing a similar dress as Mack.

Moments later.

Mack sits towards the back of the classroom next to another trooper who he met at his time of duty overseas. An above-average blonde hair woman in a ponytail approaches the stand wearing a pastel yellow dress and carrying a dark medical bag in one hand and a bunch of folders on the other hand to her stand.

“Good afternoon...I am Dr. Samantha Fox formally of the USNS Mercy and now working with the CDC up in Atlanta. Please have a seat so we can get out of here before rush hour.”

Samantha adjusts her style glasses before her class. “So rather than make a huge hive of hornets about your history. We are going to ask you why I am here?”

“As I said I spent some time overseas with the war on terror but rather than sign on for another tour. I was hired by friends of my family in both the CDC and WHO for their quick response teams.”

“So why am a southern belle like myself here training this class. Pretty simple, what you are about to embark is something not of this world. Is that not correct Commander McCauley?”

“Well, Doc; you might be a virus hunter but as for me and several of the other students here today we are just FLETC Grunts, As for what you are talking about, my friends and I have come across those skeletons in our closet you are talking about. I think it was a few years back you and I were somewhere in either the Black or was in the Baltic Sea that well you saw a few skeletons like me. Am I correct?”

“Commander, if you hold your tongue maybe you can learn something today.” Smirking but Directing her ocean blue-green eyes at Mack.

“I must have missed that last session, Doc?” Mack looks back with his charcoal blue eyes at Dr. Fox.

“” The Admiral warned me you would be a pain in my ass student, Commander.” The rest of

the class laughs at the two love-birds.

“Well Doc, maybe we should get back to your teaching of the skeletons in our closets. And kids we are not talking Serial Killers even though some are of a supernatural origin. I remember one time in the Middle East.”

“Save your stories, Commander. This is my class and not yours.” Comments Samantha as she pounds a small knee checker like a gavel on her podium.

Three hours later.

Dr. Fox drops her suitcase of papers and is quickly picked up by Mack as they exit the classroom together. “Let me get that for you Doc.” Mack reaches down and picks up some of the case reports on the floor. “I liked your talk, today Doc. Sorry, I was rude but I was just being a smart-ass to get your attention.”

“You know Commander, we have been through these shenanigans, many times since we met each other. If it was not for that Israeli Amazon, we could probably make things work. What do you think?”

“That would be great Doc, but there is nothing going on between Opal and me she is just my Cat-woman partner. She has got a lot in her past which makes it hard for her to fall for someone as charming as me.” The two walk as Mack carries the caseload for her back to her office.

“That's weird I'm sure I heard that line once before from your best friend Gauge. Who I think has a crush for Opal.”

“That I do admit, Doc, Gauge is a good guy but even he is more a wise-ass than me. Him and his Boston sports teams. Get him on a lecture of Tom Brady and he never shuts up.” The two stand outside Dr. Fox's interim office.

“Well, this is my stop, Sailor. I hope you learn something more tomorrow after time at the gun range.“ Sam opens her door with a key. Click

“Speaking of gun practice why don't you come down tomorrow and I can show you what a true SEAL can do with a firearm.” Comments mack as he walks in with her case-load of reports.

“Maybe I need to layoff a load of stress. Which do you prefer a P-38 or a Glock 19?”

“Well..”

FLETC Gun Range, next day. Mack stands before a class with a tactical urban blue-gray

camouflage fatigues and wears a flak vest before his class. The students wear dark tee shirts and camouflage fatigues. Samantha joins them wearing a tee shirt and jeans. “Well, it's about time Dr. Fox I thought you were stiffing me today.” Smirks Mack and the rest of his class laugh with him.

“Seriously Commander.”

“Well, I was on time for your class Doc. I expect the same. Okay, campers I'm here today subbing for Master of Arms Beecher Since he had to run to Bethesda for the birth of his grandson. He will be back in a week. So you are all stuck with me.” direct Mack to his class.

“Today we are going to see which is better a handgun or assault rifle. Then after class, if the good doctor will allow it we are going to practice K-bar knife close combat with artificial

rubber blades.”

“What do you say Doc give it a swirl?”

“Oh Really, and where do you want to start, Commander. My handgun or talent with an assault rifle?”

“Them sound like fighting words, Commander.” Comments a Tex-Mexican male recruit.

“If I wanted your comments Flash-flood, I would have you direct the class. Okay Doc, let's see what you got?”

Samantha walks up to the gun range placing her handgun a Glock 20 on the training stand. She places her earmuffs on and adjusts her Ray-ban Sunglasses. Lifting up an AR-15 military

assault rifle. “Okay, Doc, lean in just a little good combat stance,” comments Mack as he joins her at the firing post.

Samantha soon opens up with her rifle firing at the target. Rat Tat Rat Tat.

Her shells strike at the target and by the fourth round, she hits the bulls-eye on the target market. “Good job, Doc, and you lean in quite well.”

“I would have done better with my pistol, Commander since I was a pistol marksman and the navy military hospital academy. Ar-15s are too bulky for a Doctor in combat. As a combat medic, students you want to get in and get out as soon as possible. That's why I recommend for the combat medics carry light arms rather than those machine guns.”

“And by no means carry a Browning 30 or SAW machine gun. Am I correct, commander.”

“Well, you do know your guns.”

“I know guns but can stand them look at all the people killed in crossfire both civilians and military personnel. I just use my gun for self-defense. What about you Commander, Fun, or business with your firearms?”

Well?”

Dinner time. Mack and Mitchell approach a rib-steak restaurant a short distance from FLETC

Academy. Mack wears a blue Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts along with boaters. While Mitchell wears a brown freshly pressed Hawaiian shirt and brown khaki pants and dark shoes.

Mitchell places a bib apron on himself while Mack drinks an Odul's non-alcoholic Beer.. Mitchell reaches for his beer and spots Dr. Fox enter the restaurant entrance with a fellow female friend. Samantha wears a pastel green blouse and jeans her friend a Japanese woman wears a polo blouse and shirts. “ Mack, do my eyes deceive me, or do you see Dr. Fox and Dr. Kim in the same place as us?”

“Oh man, I cannot get away from her Badge.”

“She probably is saying that about you as well.”

“Well I came here to enjoy evening sports and get a decent meal since there is not a lot of sports bar-restaurants here in Glynco”

“Mack, Buddy just invite her and her friend to join us. We will not see her for a little while when you go to Richmond and me to Cincinnati. Go ahead it won't hurt.”

“If you insist G-man.” Mack takes a sip of his beer rising from his seat. He walks in Sam's direction.

“I think you got company coming, Sister.” Comments Dr. Anne Kim.

“ You got to be kidding me, doesn't that guy give up.” Smirks Sam as she sees mack approach her.

“Hi Doc, if you were free my friend and I would like you and your friend to join us for dinner and a sports night. What do you say?”

“Well obviously Commander, We cannot get away from one another; so I think Anne and I would join you since this place is the only good sports bar in town. What are you watching tonight?”

“ I was hoping a Carolina Hurricanes game tonight but it looks like we are stuck with the Atlanta game tonight.”

“Well, you are in Atlanta territory. Come on Anne, let's see what those FLETC Boys are up to.

Commander may I introduce you to Dr. Anne Kim, a friend of mine from CDC, who is teaching a bio-terror class at Glynco.”

“Anne may I introduce this Squid as Commander Mack McCauley former DEV-GROUP operative. We worked together in the Middle East.”

Mack escorts the ladies over to Mitchell who is eating a large breaded onion ring like that of Outback Steakhouse.”Hey Badge, I know you know these ladies are joining us tonight for dinner.”

'Please have a seat ladies, care for a breaded jalapeno onion ring. It's no Outback Onion but it will do.“

The remainder of the evening goes well as both guys and gals learn more about one another while enjoying the Atlanta Thrashers NHL game on TV.

The End. 

January 10, 2021 01:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

18:59 Jan 18, 2021

thanks for your observation it was a tough call on how o make it work out not a big romance writer but thanks for in-put and I will fix it in the future

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Stuntz
03:22 Jan 18, 2021

nice job with the banter between Dr. fox and Mack. I think the description of the characters and what they were wearing was a little stiff and forced. Maybe try spreading it out instead of lumping it all together. or add in some action to describe them instead of just telling what they look like.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.