Zombie's Tale

Written in response to: End your story with someone dancing in the rain.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Science Fiction Teens & Young Adult

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

"Come on! I can see the lights. We can get you saved"

"There is no point, I'm turning too fast"

"NO! There is a reason. I need you to survive this life"

The two kids continued to run towards the base. The younger kid was partly dragging the older kid. Once at the gates they started to yell.

"HEY! LET US IN. HELLO!"

"STOP!" The older yelled pulling their hand away. "I can't be saved. I already have lost the colour in my left eye" The gate started to open. But before it could finish opening the older pushed the younger in the gate.

"CLOS̸̭̲͗͘͝ė̶̢̥̤ ̵͎͋I̸̥͕͆t̵̪͘͘" The second the gate closed the older looked up at their younger brother as their right eye lost its colour.

"Don't f̷̟͙̅ŏ̴̜͖͙͑̆ȑ̴̰͖̲ͅg̶̬͍̲͖͑ë̴̫̺͓́t̷͙̠̃̍ me, I'm your s̸̡͎̹̺i̴̞̱͙̜̅s̷̲̈́̍̒̓͜t̷̤͇́̅̆e̶̪̙̪͔ř̴̡̤̦̳. Kylia."

~6 Months Later~

Kylia was wandering around with the other zombies nearby. Thinking about her brother. She was also confused about why she wasn't falling apart like the others and still being able to speak. She heard the engine of a vehicle racing towards them. Kylia had regained the colour in her right eye. She also never changed her clothes once she seemed to switch back to human, she doesn't know if that's what's happening or not.

"Shoot them all, Fewer zombies are better" The gunmen started to shoot all the zombies but one held fire.

"BOSS, that one looks more human than zombie"

"What." He looked at Kylia and whispered something. Kylia watched as the gunman reloaded but was shot in the shoulder by another gunman.

"Hold fire!" He jumped off the vehicle and raced over to her. "Are you hurt?"

"P-pain" was all she could get out before passing out. Kylia was picked up and brought along on the journey.

"B-boss. She has a bite. It's scared over" The boss looked at the wound.

"She spoke to me, she also isn't rotting" The crew mate looked at her as she opened her eyes.

"Wh-where. pain."

"Did. Did she speak clearly?" They all arrived back at the base safely. The nurses rushed out to gather Kylia to wrap the gunshot. Once she was bandaged up the boss wanted to ask questions.

"I will need to know your name, when you were bitten, and if you have any family to start."

"Kylia, about 6 months ago, and little brother, I don't know if he is alive or not." Kylia was staring out the window at the dead city. "Why did you save me? I'm just one of those monsters."

"You are not a monster. I think you're a halfling, along with your brother. It would make sense 'cause you look young enough to be born during the apocalypse. I know there was a base that was breeding with zombies trying to get the cure."

"It would for me. Not my brother. Different dads, we both saw his die saving us. Do you have a way to test for this?"

"We have two tests. One is to look for the subject number or DNA test."

"Where would this number be?"

"On the lower back"

"You can check, only if you are comfortable doing so" The boss walked over and saw the numbers on her back. 

"015. That is your number. Did you know about the number?"

"No, I have always been told I had a scar there."

~1 year later~

The base had grown stronger. There was a flare from another base nearby. The travel team was ordered to locate the base and help all they could. Kylia was a part of the team. She learned how to use her zombie DNA to help others. Once the team arrived she was surprised to see the amount of fire around. She listened closely for any survivors. She heard faint voices from inside the building. Kylia ran into the crumbling building to save the people. Kylia found the people.

"Come with me, I can get you out." Kylia reached her hand out to the young boy who was holding a crying kid. Once Kylia was out of the building she brought the kids to the truck. "Stay here." She told the kids. Kylia ran into the building looking for people. The building had collapsed with her in the building but she was on her hands and knees hovering above a passed-out kid. She picked the kid up and walked out of the building. Once she could see the kid she was shocked to see her brother in her arms but didn't miss the large burn on his face. 

"Call the nurses, we have three survivors who need medical assistance." Kylia was keeping the kids calm while driving back to the base.

"Gone out." Kylia looked at her brother as he was waking up.

"Hey Hey kid. Calm down. Who gone out."

"Adults. Hours ago"

"Okay, we are almost back try to sleep okay?" Once they were back home the nurses acted quickly. The boss came out asking for information.

"The base had gone up into flames, only three survivors and possibly more that had left earlier in the day."

"Good report"

"Also, one survivor is my brother. I ask for permission to watch over him?"

"Permission granted"

"Thank sir" Kylia rushed to his room. She grabbed his hand right away. 'I'm sorry, so so sorry. I should have never left you' she whispered.

"K-Kylia?"

"Noah. Yes, it's me" The two were talking about the last year and a half. All the drama and stressful times. "I'm not fulling human. I am a halfling, born as one. But not many know that I wear my eye patch to hide my eye. I need to check on the other kids I'll be right back." Kylia checked on the other kids, she watched them play together. 

"Cute kids, huh?"

"B-Boss, sorry I was just checking on them"

"Calm down. You are off duty." He said as he slid his arms around her waist. "The kids will need a mother, and possibly a father." Kylia turned around and faced her lover.

"Yeah, you're right. But they need to meet us first silly" The two went in and talked with the two kids. Kylia looked out the window and saw that it was raining. She stood up and ran out of the room toward the exit. The second she had the door open she walked out further into the rain. She looked up at the sky and started to spin around. She remembered the dance she learned as a kid. She started to dance in the rain. The Boss had walked out of the door and watched her dance. Kylia opened her eye as she finished her dance. She stood frozen for a second, and she started to spin once again.

August 22, 2022 02:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.