5 comments

High School Romance Urban Fantasy

Autumn Dennis hated parties. It wasn't the darkness, or the flashing lights, or even the noise. It was the overwhelming amount of people that got her.

But when her longtime crush, Luke Kent, asked her to prom, she decided that she would give it a try. After all, it had been three years since she had gone to any sort of party, so she was overdue. It was time for a change. And who knows? Maybe she'd even have a fun time.

But only time would tell.

As Autumn got ready, her hands shook. What if she didn't like prom? What if this was all a bad idea? Should she even go?

But it was too late to turn back now.

Her mum, Milly, helped her slip her blood-red open back evening gown over Autumn's head, then stood back with her hands on her hips. "There," Milly said with a satisfied smile on her face. "Now come over here and I'll do your hair and makeup. I have some ideas that would look amazing with your dress." She steered Autumn over to her dressing table, where a brush and some makeup were already laid out.

Half an hour later, Autumn looked into the mirror. Her mum had done a really good job, both with the hair and the makeup. Autumn was so pretty, she almost didn't recognise herself. "Wow, Mum!" She looked hugely impressed, which made her mother smile with pride. "That's super good! Oh my gosh, I love it! Thank you so, so much!"

Her mum had done Autumn's dishwater-blonde hair in two Dutch braids, then wound them around her head like a braid crown, leaving a few strands loose. Then she had put some hairspray on her daughter's braid crown so bits of hair wouldn't come undone if they weren't supposed to.

Milly had started the makeup application with some black mascara. Then she had put some bronze and gold eye shadow on Autumn's eyelids to contrast the blood-red dress. Next came the black eyeliner to make Autumn's eyes seem timeless and romantic.

Finally, she added all of the face makeup. Foundation came first, spread well. Next a light dusting of cherry-blossom blush was added, to make Autumn's cheeks even rosier than usual. Then a thin layer of concealer, and, the final touch, some deep scarlet lipstick to match Autumn's dress.

When Luke's car pulled up to the Dennis' family home, he came up and knocked on the door. "Hi, Mrs. Dennis," he said. "I'll have Autumn home before midnight, don't worry." Milly laughed. "Oh, I'm not worried. As long as my little girl has a good time and comes home smiling, I'm happy!" Autumn kissed her mother on the cheek and said, "Love you!" She grabbed her gold clutch that matched her golden earrings and put her necessities in it quickly. "See you later! Bye!"

"Bye, sweetheart!" Her mum waved from the open door as Luke and Autumn drove away in his red convertible. "Have fun!"

Luke helped Autumn out of the car when arriving at prom, like a proper gentleman should. Her old-fashioned British grandma, Janice, would have approved. "Thanks," Autumn said, untangling her dress from the car door.

"No problem." Luke flashed her a smile, and Autumn felt her heart slowly melting. This might not be so bad, she thought. "Well. Let's face the music," she said out-loud to Luke. He grinned. "You betcha." He held out his hand, and Autumn took it.

There were butterflies in her stomach, from both holding hands with Luke and the fact that she was going to a party for the first time in three years. She calmed herself down. "You're okay," she muttered to herself. "Everything will be fine."

Autumn and Luke walked up the steps to the entrance of their school, Beech Glen High School. Autumn swore Luke could hear her heart pounding, because she sure could. She wiped the sweat off her brow. Why was a party making her so nervous?

Luke held the door for her, and they both strolled into the main hallway of the school.

It was decorated for prom night, with colourful streamers and balloons everywhere. "Wow," Autumn said. "The party-planning committee really went all out." Luke chuckled. "Yeah. It's a bit crazy, honestly."

"Yeah, a bit," Autumn agreed. "But I'm glad I came."

Luke looked into her excited brown eyes. "Me too, Autumn."

The snack bar was where Autumn was laying low with her loyal friend, Kelsea, when Luke came over and asked her to dance. "Sure," Autumn said. "Kels, I'll be back in a minute."

Kelsea shook her head. "Oh, don't worry about me. Go have fun, girl!" She pushed Autumn onto the dance floor.

The band was playing a slow, dreamy song that sounded like a waltz, but Autumn couldn't tell.

Luke, however, decided that it was a waltz, because he took Autumn's waist and clasped her hand tighter than was strictly necessary. She leaned in slightly. "You know, I feel good about coming now," she whispered to him, not wanting anyone else to hear them. "This is kinda awesome." He laughed quietly. "Yeah? I'm glad you're having a good time."

After the surprisingly magical waltz the two shared, Autumn felt very confident. She could stay. She could have fun.

Walking back to Kelsea, she felt like a brand-new person. Kels raised her eyebrows. "Well?" she asked. "Did you have fun?"

Autumn hugged her with happiness. "Oh my god, Kels, it was amazing!" Her eyes sparkled. Kelsea laughed with happy tears in her sapphire eyes. "You've grown as a person, A. I'm proud."

She hugged Autumn back, then stood back, wiping her wet face.

When Autumn went home in Luke's car, they took a little bit longer. He pulled up into Autumn's driveway, but didn't keep the ignition on. "Hey, Autumn," he said suddenly. "I'm glad you came with me to prom."

"I'm glad I went," Autumn replied. "It was really fun."

He grinned, then leaned in towards her. Before she knew it, he was kissing her on the cheek. He pulled away. "Goodnight, Autumn."

"Um...night," she stammered. "See you tomorrow." She got out of the car and walked up to her house, lights shining out of the windows.

May 10, 2021 15:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

22:07 May 14, 2021

I love this story!! I'm a helpless romantic so hahahah but I love the names and all the descriptions, awesome job!!

Reply

Serena Johnston
19:55 May 16, 2021

Thank you! It's one of my favourites too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Nice! I love the names!

Reply

Serena Johnston
13:51 May 11, 2021

They are very original. (Except for Luke.)

Reply

Yes, except for Luke.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.