0 comments

Romance

Val Trent awoke, to the sound of the neighbour’s dog yapping probably at a stray leaf. The sun was streaming into the bedroom, which did not help the situation, thus though she did not need to be, she was wide awake. She had been dreaming; one of those dreams where you are with a group of people, supposedly known to you but in fact, in real life, (your only comparison), are strangers. All except one. He stood giraffe-like at the other side of the room, his blue-grey eyes focussed on the antics of the group. He looked strangely familiar in her dream, but not her waking moments.   It was Nev, Nev Piper, the gentle first love boyfriend from their school years. Nev was the class comedian, slightly mischievous, always polite, never the teacher’s pet, but always there when anyone needed help. She knew he wanted to be a school teacher, but the romance did not last long enough for Val to know if he had done that. She had though: Drama and Music.  

In her heart, Val knew he was special, and for a time it looked as though something good was developing. Both sets of parents were delighted, although during the school years their dates were fairly bland and cheap. She was the envy of a few of her friends because Nev was good to everyone, but those long walks along the sand in summer, or through the park in the cooler months, produced nothing more than long kisses and held hands, Nev was not that kind of young man. Eventually, someone else won a part of Nev’s heart. He was smitten, Val had no option but to let go. Thinking about it, Val compared every bloke she met to Nev. It was probably the reason why at twenty-four she was one of the few spinsters among her friends.

“Someday when you least expect it you will meet the right guy, love.” Mrs Trent had said, “it will be worth the wait.” Val conceded that for her parents this was true, but she wondered, nonetheless.

Her appointment at the hairdressers was time well spent; her dark hair now fashioned in a bob, suited her. Yet she still did not want to go to the party that night. She would know no one and she would leave as soon as possible. There was quite a crowd in her friend’s apartment. By the time Val arrived the music was blaring and the laughter was plenteous. She hung about with two ‘on the fringe’ friends, parroting small talk, wishing she was not there or had her knitting. Drinks were being passed around. She did a double-take. She had forgotten just how tall he was, she, Val did not reach his shoulder.

He stood with the drinks tray, a chore only Eve could volunteer him for. They had had a few words on the way over, none of them pleasant, but then there were far too many incidents these days. He deserved better and he was going to say so. Suddenly he turned and saw her. Oh, her lovely hair was shorter but it was her voice, it had not changed, mellifluous and gentle. Val Trent, well who would have thought. He walked over in her direction noticing her look of recognition.

“Hi Val, fancy meeting you.” he bent a fraction to peck her cheek.

“Hi Nev, I…” no she was not going to tell him about the dream, she said instead “I could do with something soft …” it sounded so lame. He picked a cushion up.

“Will this do, or would you prefer a glass of…”

They talked a little and giggled, in fact, they attracted attention; in particular Eve’s attention.

“My girlfriend is not impressed,” said Nev, rather sheepishly.

Val had no time to answer by word or look, Eve was coming over in high dudgeon.

She stretched up to Nev and slapped his cheek.

“You swine Nev Piper. Was this why we had to come tonight, to renew past acquaintances?” clearly she had been drinking, “Take me home now.”

“Indeed, I will not.” said Nev “I am neither your slave nor your husband. If you want to go home have someone call a cab. Or to put it another way, go to hell, Eve. We are through.” He was aware that there was an audience, an approving audience, but Nev was uncomfortable nonetheless.

Eve stood aghast, Nev Piper standing up to her?! Equally aware of people watching, she considered turning the tears on, or of feigning illness but thought better of it. She remembered goody two shoes Val Trent, of old. Top of the class in English, and debating, a beautiful singing voice, and Nev following her around like a lap dog. Here she was back and…

“I mean it, Eve. It’s over between us. My meeting Val tonight is both coincidental and refreshing.” Nev turned his back on her and taking a deep breath walked away. Uncertain what to do, Val watched him go, until one of her friends tapped her on the shoulder.

“Go now Val, you won’t get another opportunity; who cares what others think?”

 Val felt the gentle push from behind and followed Nev to the corner of the room. He smiled at her.

“Sorry about that.” he said, “are you on your own?”

“Yep”

“What, no husband loitering?” Nev was smiling.

“Oh, very possibly but he’s not mine,” said Val sitting beside Nev. A waitress appeared with a nibbles tray, and serviettes, another refilled their glasses.

Nev was remembering vivacious Val, the debating champion. No other girl in the class compared with Val Trent. He noticed the absence of rings on her left ring finger, but her hair looked gorgeous and her perfume made him heady. “No, Nevin, you are not going down this track, remember Eve. Yet Val was nothing like Eve, and at all costs, Nev was not going to remember Eve, so soon at any rate.

“So, what are you doing these days, Nev?”

“Teaching primary school and loving it. I’m at the college down the road from our old school.”

“St Paul’s?” Val was amazed she had wondered.

“And you, Val?”

“At the risk of sounding like a copycat.” Val smiled “Drama and Music, at our school.”

Nev laughed, slapped his knee “Well blackboards and chalk dust, what a diet.”

Despite the passing of years, he had not changed except he was quiet, perhaps he was reeling after the storm with Eve.

‘She always was a vixen, a spoiled vixen at that.” thought Val.

Do you need to be here?” he asked quietly

“No, I was afraid I would get bored.” she smiled “I wondered how soon I could leave.”

“Fancy a pizza, there is a good place down the road.” Nev winked.

With as little fuss as possible, they left the party, linking arms, watching the stars, ordering and sharing pizza, just like the old blackboard and chalk dust days. It was where they were meant to be.

August 13, 2020 04:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.