2 comments

Funny High School Fiction

Note: Ok, so there is talking in this piece, it is just in italics. That's it have fun reading!

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 - 6:15 AM 

As I woke up and stared at my ceiling, I thought it was going to be a normal day. How wrong I was. I guess I enjoyed this small moment, like the calm before the storm. At this point in time, slinging my backpack over my shoulder and running to the bus stop, I had no idea what was about to happen. 

It was a normal day at school, or as normal as it could be. As soon as I entered the building, I could sense that something was wrong. I clearly remember watching teachers whisper in the hallways, and in front of the doors. I was oblivious though; I couldent be bothered with a bunch of high school teacher’s worries, they were above my own. 

Getting out of school and walking with my friends to the store, I had no idea how lucky I was, or what was about to happen. 

I distinctly recall complaining after my mother dragged me to my little brother’s baseball game, my dance classes, and the grocery store after we were done. I can’t believe how selfish and lazy I was back then.

Laying in bed that night, I fell right asleep before I could even give the day a single thought. I was so naive then, and I had no idea what was to come.

Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 4:01 AM 

My phone buzzed which had woken me up. I remember it was 4:00 in the morning, too early for any sane person to be awake. I noticed a message on the school website that read:

Dear students, staff, parents, and guardians,

Due to a recent outbreak of the COVID-19 virus in our state, we will spend the next week or so learning from home. Students will sign on to classes at the usual time (7:30 AM EST) and will join a virtual Google Meet class with their teacher and peers. Until we get everything situated, you will spend the next week off from school, and we will see you on the Google Meet classes starting on Monday, January 26th (1/26/2020). We will be referring to this time as a belated winter break. Please contact us for more information at the email and phone number listed on the official school website. Have a great break, everyone!

Sincerely,

Principal Anne Marie Thompson 

A break!?!? I remember thinking that this was the best thing to come into my life right now. I immediately grabbed my phone off the nightstand and started texting my friends, who couldn’t believe it either. A whole week of freedom, plus learning from home?! How much better could this get? I was so excited to start my week that I went out to the kitchen and got the box of cookies, and plopped straight on my bed to watch a movie; not before setting up a shopping date with my friends the next day of course.

August 2, 2020 

It had been MONTHS since lockdown started, and I could not be more miserable. It was hot outside, and I was chilling in the air conditioning. As I looked out over my messy kingdom of a bedroom from my throne (bed, of course. No one had the money for a real throne right now), I could not help but think of how it used to look… if I could remember. I could get up and change my week-old clothes, but that was if I could even find the floor at this point. Clothes, magazines, worksheets, blankets, and pizza boxes were strewn about my floor like rocks on a beach. My backpack was nowhere to be found, but my tripod and laptop were front and center in the only clean corner of my room. If I was too lazy to clean, I could at least make people think it was clean in here. But as much as I hated to admit it, the school was starting soon; and I needed to get ready. I hunted through the piles and finally found my backpack. I put it in the clean corner, dusting it off as I went. Then I planted myself at my desk, getting ready for some online shopping. I had barely left my room in months, and as I typed away in the blue glow, I noticed my hands were almost completely white. Jumping out of my chair, I threw open the window shades and basked in the sunlight. Or, at least, as close to basking as I could… it was so bright! My feet crunched on empty pizza boxes and broken pencils as I neared the door. If I was going to go to school, I needed to shape up; and even that might take a while.

June 18, 2021 - 3:10 PM 

Life was good. Different, but good. Now that we could go back to school, I almost felt like things were going to get back to normal! That little spark of hope that was in me during 2020 was finally starting to grow into more than a spark. Companies were pushing out vaccinations faster than we ever thought was possible, and me and my friends were long since vaccinated. I was still paranoid about going to stores and things, but I think 2020 had done that to all of us. I waved to my friends as I walked up my driveway, whipping my mask off as I went. Yes, I did say mask. Even though me and everyone in my school (including the teachers) are fully vaccinated, I still wear a mask. Some may consider this strange, but it’s how I feel comfortable. 

Finally I sighed, closing my computer. Homework had gotten harder after lockdown was over. It seemed like the teachers felt like we forgot everything during this time. They weren’t completely wrong though, a lot of grades had dropped for many people. The average? Yeah, it was a C now. But no worries, I had straight A’s as always. My phone dinged on my desk, vibrating the wood slightly. I closed my eyes. That sound was almost new to me since everyone was holed up and doing nothing during the lockdown, it was such a sweet sensation every time someone texted me. I pucked up the phone and my eyes went wide. Dropping the phone, I ran to my mom. What what is it, honey? Is something wrong? I held up a hand and ran to my room. I handed her the phone,  pointing frantically at the screen. What? Oh, ohhhh. Honey, it’s fine, it’s just your friend Julia inviting you to a party! She didn’t understand. I hadn’t been to a party in weeks! months! Years! Actually, wait, it was only a year but still! You should go, it would be so good for you to finally be with your friends unmasked! She said. I clamped a hand over my mouth. Unmasked?!? That was even worse! My mom knelt down, looking up at me. Honey. She said, with much more force than I think even she intended. You are going to that party. You have not been ANYWHERE but the house and school in over a year. You need to get back out there! Seeing that I wasn’t convinced, she shook her head. Maisy, it’s your Junior year, enjoy it while you can! 

And that is how I ended up driving to a party with a trunk full of provisions. 

June 21, 2021 - 5:30 PM 

Maisy!!! Julia exclaimed, running towards me. I dodged her hug. Oh come on, you still hung up about that? Were all vaccinated! It’s completely safe! She went to hug me again, but I wasn’t so fast this time. She trapped my arms against my sides and practically tackled me in a hug. I felt myself starting to sweat. I broke out of the hug, running to my car. Aaaaand there she goes. I heard her sigh. What’s wrong with her? She never goes to parties anymore, and I barely see her outside of school! A male voice commented. I know but we just have to be patient, she’ll come around, I know her! I could hear the doubt in her voice. She didn’t think I could do it. What had happened? I used to be liked! Popular even! But now I was just that weird girl who paranoid and afraid. Which I was! And I had perfectly good reasons for this… ok fine I sighed again. I turned back towards the strobe lights and the overbearing smell of… people. And I made my way back into the world.

May 13, 2021 14:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Iris Orona
12:26 May 18, 2021

GOOD STORY...SO REAL..SO TRUE... SO SCARRY

Reply

17:29 May 18, 2021

Thanks! this is based on my own experiences and those of my friends. Most true story I've ever written :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.