0 comments

General

Fashionably late, a semi-formal word used to make the term tardy sound more elegant to the listening ear. In this case, being fashionably late had always been part of the plan. Very strategically plotted, systematically fashioned and careful enacted the plan was now in play. Over the course of time that it took to fit every piece into place for the event taking place only two people knew of the plan’s existence. Those people were yourself and your mother.

Your mom had always been free spirited and loved to leave her mark on any part of life she could grasp the opportunity to do so. As a child you could always remember friends and family joking about how she was always late for everything. Those same individuals even joked how she would be late for her own funeral. That was the little words that sparked your mother’s imagination and started her planning how her funeral would be held.

She only wanted a few specifics and they seemed simple enough. No crying, no sad music, no flowers that would soon wilt to die, she wanted to be cremated then set free to the wind to go to the places of the world she never had the chance to go and lastly she wanted her body to be late arriving. She would joke to you, her only co-conspirer, about how everyone would be waiting thinking they were at the wrong service then when they were about to go investigate her body would be brought to join in the service.

What seemed like a small joke for a woman’s last wish for this life would leave a mark on funeral services held for many years to come. Memorable is a word that will barley describe how her service well be viewed by any and remembered. As her partner in crime you made sure every little wish, she wanted was now on this day coming true.

No flowers plagued the service, but instead beautiful photos gathered in all corners showing beautiful reminders of her contagious smile to all. Not one tear gathered in any eye in the room, but instead you could hear laughter as they spoke amongst themselves about her memories. When the music began to play it was not sad funeral music that she did not want, instead, it was a recording of piano playing that she herself done as she loved to play the piano daily. Then as everyone took a seat, they slowly one by one noticed no coffin sat before them. Instead it was an empty corner of a room. Using every method to keep from busting out laughing at the thought of how much your mom would have rolled in glee at what was happening was hard, but today for her you made it possible.

At that very moment, the recorded music changed to a louder and livelier song playing. Your mothers talented piano playing was still what was booming from the speakers, but instead of calm soothing music the notes of Bob Segar “Take the Old Records Off the Shelf” blasted for all to hear. That was the que for the doors to open and the ushers to bring her casket from the other room into where it was supposed to have been in front of her guests. Once her casket was in place it was your turn to speak.

“My mother never could be on time. She even swore that at her funeral she would be the last in the door. Well momma you were right you’re the last one to join us to celebrate your vibrant and sweet memory of life,” smiling you announced to your audience as the photo slideshow began on the back wall.

This was the way you wanted to remember the woman who gave you the gift of life. The way she was meant to be remembered as the smile that would light up every corner of ever room. As one tear slowly climbed down your cheek, you quickly swept it away and could have sworn you heard her voice chiding you for crying on her happy day. Smiling you watched all your memories of her slide by with each photo on the slideshow along with Bob Segar from your moms piano played by her own very hands and recorded for this very special day.

The service went along without a glitch. Although, no one else wanted to stand and speak as to they did not believe they could hold a candle to the bar your dear mother had raised today. Listening to her piano playing on the recorded track and just silently remembering her in their minds seemed to be the general thought as well as action as every person in the room. Today would be a day that many future stories would be told of. It would be forever known as the day the funeral guests beat the guest of honor to the service. Your dear mother will be historically known for being late to every event in her natural life as well as her own funeral in her death.

This very day itself will be a story you will enjoy telling your grandchildren and possibly even your great grandchildren. Your sure this story is one to be told more than just a time or two for the future years to come. Reciting the story of your mother’s fair well to life plan and silently planning your very own to take place one day. Even though it would be rather nearly impossible to out do her the thought of any trying and leaving your mark on those you love sends a vibration throughout your inner self. It is not what you did in your life, but it is how you leave this life with what you’ve left them behind.

It is all about memories and the legacy that will keep the story retold for years to come. So how will you make your mark on this life, or better yet how will you leave this life while leaving your memorable mark behind?

June 24, 2020 13:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.