12 comments

American Inspirational Fiction

The sun disappeared behind the clouds. The leaves in the trees rustled due to the chill air. The clouds grew darker. The stars were twinkling in the night sky. It was a beautiful night time. Macy was awake after a long nap. She got up from her bed and poured the tea from the kettle. Her hands were so weak enough to hold the kettle frimly. The bonfire glowed upon her loosened skin. Her white hairs displayed clear sign of old age. As usual, she sat on the armchair kept in the balcony. Macy's evenings are the same everyday. The love birds in the cage and the ever growing plants are her only company. Taking a sip from the old fashioned mug, she looked at the window opposite to her balcony. A beautiful young woman, probably in her 20s was arranging the furnitures in the room. Macy remembered that the previous tenants of the home vacated a week before.

As Macy was looking keenly at the window, she was interrupted by a sharp noise. It was the door bell. Macy shouted loudly , "I am coming". She took small steps forward and reached the door. She opened the door. A middle-aged guy probably in his 50s, tall and fat , with grey coloured moustache , was standing upright with a flower bouquet in his hand. He smiled weakly and handed over the bouquet to Macy and said, " Happy anniversary Dear ". Macy smiled with a child-like excitement in her eyes. She hugged him and said, " Same to you dear". They planned for a dinner date at home. Macy said, " John, it's been atleast forty years since we got married. Not even once,  had you ever thought of leaving me ?". John laughed louder and said, " If I have had any thoughts about leaving you, then, I could have left you after our first fight itself. Also, if I leave, who will take care of you dear? You are like a child". Macy laughed heartily and felt grateful to have husband like John.

The next day, Macey and John went to the nearby children park. Macey loves children, so they used to visit the children park atleast once a week to play and interact with the children. They sat on the park bench and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. A rainbow peeked from one of the nearby mountains and stretched wider so as to bend it's angular curvature steeper. As Macey was staring at the rainbow, a young girl, in her late childhood, hopped on the ground like a frog. Her soft legs and fingers penetrated through the wet mud, making deep impressions. Macey laughed at watching the childish acts of the little girl. She further thrust forward with force near Macey. The wet mud splashed in Macy's dress. A distant voice shouted, " Leah, what have you done?". A lady ran towards the little girl and picked her up. She was the same lady who Macy watched through the window...

The lady apologized to Macy. She said, " I am very sorry mam! My daughter is so naughty. I am extremely sorry for what she has done". Macey laughed and said, " It's okay dear! When I was of her age, I did many childish things". The lady smiled and said, "By the way, I am Mia, and this is my daughter, Leah. We are new to this town". Macey said," Nice to meet you dear. Myself Macey and this is my husband John". Mia greeted John. Mia said, " If you don't mind, can I go now? My husband is waiting for us". Macey nodded her head.

That night, as usual, Macey drank her evening tea sitting in the armchair in the balcony. She looked at the opposite window. She saw shadows of Mia and her husband laughing and speaking. After a while, they kissed. This evoked past memories about her youth love life. She remembered the day she met John. The days she were madly in love with him. Not only did she recall her budding memories, she also felt jealous about the couple. She missed her youth life. She longed to go back to her youth life and relive her past. But the thought of being stuck in the present, the thought of being old, the thought that she lost her youth life crumbled her emotions. She quietly went to her bed and wept quietly. She didn't want John to know about her insecurities. She hid her feelings beneath her pity filled heart. Her pillow drowned in her tears.

Macey made it as a daily habit to look at the neighbour's window. At times, she felt guilty for doing so. But, she could not resist watching the lady and her husband showering love to each other. One day, as usual, she was watching the neighbour's window. A terrible argument broke between Mia and her husband. Mia was crying while her husband was abusing her. Macey felt bad on watching the fight. Since that day, there was no sign of Mia or her husband in their house. Macey felt that something was wrong. She thought of going to Mia's house directly and ask her about it. But, she hesitated to do so. Days passed, there was no sign of Mia....

One day, Macey went for shopping in the nearby super market. While she was picking up a cereal box from the top of the rack, it tipped out from her hand and fell down. She let a sigh. When she bent over to pick up the cereal box, a small hand reached the box and picked it up. It was Leah. Macey smiled at her and said,

"Thank you dear". Leah smiled and ran away. Macey stood at the bill counter. She saw Mia approaching her. Macey smiled at her. Mia smiled weakly. Macey asked Mia," Hey Mia! How are you?". Mia replied, "I am fine mam". Macey said, " Don't call me mam! Call me as Mace". Mia smiled and said,"Okay Mace!". Mia's face drooped down low. Macey said," Are you alright dear?". Mia controlled her tears. Macey said,"Let's speak somewhere else dear, come with me". Macey took Mia to the children's park.

Macey and Mia sat on the park bench. While,Leah was playing with the sand. Mia said," Me and my husband had a fight. He was having affair with another girl. I suspected him and asked about it. He shouted at me and threatened to forget about it. But, I didn't want to live with such a guy. So, we separated". Macey felt bad for Mia. Macey said, "I am very sorry dear. Trust is key in any relationship. If he has broken your trust, he is not the right man for you". Mia cried. Macey consoled her and said," Listen Mia! I think of you as my own daughter. Stop by my house whenever you want. I am there for you. Don't worry dear". Mia felt bit relieved. Macey and Mia walked to their houses.

It was a lovely evening. The birds chirped in unison, emitting a musical tune. The small children played football on the streets. The shops were lit with bright neon lights. Office goers were returning happily to their homes. But, it was not an usual evening for Macey. Instead of holding a cup of tea in her hands, she was holding a knitting needle. Her hands moved swiftly so as to fill the white cloth with colourful patterns. John returned home after his usual evening walk. He was surprised to see Macey knitting. Macey saw John. She hugged him and said, "Good evening!". John asked, " What is so special today? It's been a long time since I saw you with your needle". Macey said,"Nothing special. It's good to remember and cherish old things. We have a special dinner date today. Get ready John". This was a double surprise for John. 

Macey was neatly decorating the dinner table with roses and candles. She placed the apron which she knitted on the chairs. She made the special tomato soup and noodles for John. John was awestruck on seeing the table arrangement. John asked, " What has gotten into you dear? ". Macey said,"Nothing dear! See, I have made special aprons for us!". Macey showed the aprons to him. In one of the aprons, it read "Love you John" and the other apron read "Love you Macey". John felt excited, he said,"These are so lovely dear!". Macey and John said their usual prayers and started eating. John lifted the noodles in chop sticks and kept in his mouth, the next moment, he felt like he was out of the world. He had never thought that Macey would cook so well. He was indeed surprised.

After a while, Macey said, " John! I wanted to thank you for everything. You have been by my side for all these years, resisting me. I don't know how I am going to repay you back. Sometimes, as our lives move on, we forget to be grateful for the people in our lives. We take people for granted. But, people are meant to be loved. You loved me truly. You are the only reason our relationship has lasted for a long time. I apologize if I have ever treated you badly or if I have not understood you at any point of time. I am very blessed and lucky to have you as my husband". John was spellbounded. He immediately stood up and hugged Macey. He said," I am lucky to have you as my wife dear". At that moment, Macey felt that love knows no age and boundaries, it can only be fel by heart......

June 10, 2021 04:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

VINCI RUPA
09:25 Jun 13, 2021

Well done !

Reply

Sanju Vikasini
14:20 Jun 13, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:49 Jun 13, 2021

This is really good✨✨... Great work✨✨

Reply

Sanju Vikasini
10:49 Jun 13, 2021

Thanks mate!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shripushkar G
07:23 Jun 13, 2021

Great piece of work!

Reply

Sanju Vikasini
10:49 Jun 13, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:08 Jun 13, 2021

Wonderful story!!

Reply

Sanju Vikasini
07:21 Jun 13, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarath Chandra
04:37 Jun 13, 2021

Well written story👏

Reply

Sanju Vikasini
04:46 Jun 13, 2021

Thanks dude!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:35 Jun 13, 2021

Intresting story 💥

Reply

Sanju Vikasini
04:40 Jun 13, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.