Break it Down

Submitted into Contest #2 in response to: Write a story about someone who's haunted by their past.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Caleb loved his new girlfriend, Faith. She was beautiful, smart, and funny. He looked at her as if she was the only woman on earth, but something kept Caleb from popping the big question. His previous engagement had left an emotional scar that was a constant reminder of how badly love can get. He would recall the pain and torment he felt the last time he placed his trust on someone, but that was not all that he remembered. There was also a phase of bliss, happy thoughts that could persuade a smile on his face. However, that relationship left a bittersweet taste that he could not wash down with numerous affairs, until Faith came along. She knew about the bad breakup, but did not know how strongly Caleb had been hung up about it.

“I love you,” said Caleb.

Faith looked at him and smiled. “I love you too babe,” she said, while she read a book. Faith was laying on the sofa while she rested her legs on top of Caleb's lap.

“Faith, we've been together long enough for me to know that there's no way I can do any better,” said, Caleb.

Faith heard the solemnity in his voice that she had to put the book down. She sat up and leaned into him, then rubbed her nose on his.

“What's eating you up babe?” she asked. Her voice was soft and sweet.

“There's something I've been wanting to tell you, but I don't know how,” he said.

“Caleb, you can tell me anything,” she said. “So what's up?”

Caleb thought about the repercussions if he were to say what was on his mind that he refrained from telling her what was really bothering him.

“I was thinking of getting lunch,” he said. “Want to go with?”

“I know you far too well to know that's not what you were going to say,” said Faith. “So come out with it.”

Caleb weighed in on the thoughts that had been running through his mind. He thought about how incredibly wonderful his current relationship is, and how it does not compare to the previous one. He looked into Faith's eyes, and he saw love in its truest form, but still the looming doubts hindered him from accomplishing what he had set out to do.

“Let's go to the park instead,” said Caleb.

“Sure, I could go for a walk,” she said. “It's a nice day out.”

On the way to the park, Caleb put his hand in one of the pockets of his pants and felt for a small, flocked container to make sure he had it on him. He reminisced about a pleasant time.

“Do you remember when we first met?” asked Caleb.

“Of course I do!” replied Faith. “You stuttered whenever you tried to talk to me. I thought it was cute.”

“I stuttered because I didn't think a super hot girl like you would even talk to some guy like me,” said Caleb. “I was so nervous, but I knew I had to try.”

“And look how that ended up,” said Faith. She looked at him in a way that melted his heart.

“God that look is just—”

“Just what?”

“You get me every time with those eyes of yours,” said Caleb.

“Ditto,” said Faith.

They took their stroll towards a tree and took refuge underneath its shade. Caleb was nervous and the tension grew that Faith could sense it.

“Okay you're beginning to freak me out,” said Faith. “Caleb, what's wrong?”

“Nothing is wrong,” said Caleb.

“Oh, something is definitely wrong,” said Faith. “You do realized that you just stuttered.”

“Shit!”

“Come on babe don't do this to me,” said Faith. “I feel like you're going to break up with me. Please don't tell me that you're going to break up with me.”

“I am not breaking up with you,” said Caleb. “That would be the dumbest thing ever.”

His words inspired a kiss, but the anxiety still lingered that Faith was almost angry with him. Caleb sat her down on the grass and they talked some more.

“Do you remember our first date?” asked Caleb.

“Yes, it was a dinner and a movie,” replied Faith.

“But it wasn't a plain old dinner and a movie,” said Caleb. “It was a home cooked dinner and a movie projector movie.”

She laughed at the shared memory and gave Caleb a kiss. He loved looking into her eyes, they were captivating and sensual, and always lured a smile from him.

“You are so beautiful,” said Caleb.

“I know you keep telling me that,” said Faith. “I'll never forget.”

“What if I stopped telling you that,” said Caleb.

“You better not,” warned Faith.

“I could never,” he said. “Loving you is the easiest thing for me to do, because all it takes is all of me.”

“You are such a dork,” said Faith.

“But you love this dork,” said Caleb.

“I'm in love with this dork,” said Faith.

There was something in the way she said it that seemed to have peeled the remaining layer of emotional trauma that Caleb forgot why he held on to it for so long. It was at that moment he came to a sudden realization.

Caleb stood up and told Faith to stand up as well. Then he knelt down on bended knee and pulled out a small black, flocked container out of his pants pocket. He opened it to reveal a ring.

“Faith, will you marry me?” he asked.

Faith broke down into tears and could not utter an answer. The rush of emotions had overwhelmed her. Caleb smiled and was satisfied with her reaction. He stood back up and pulled her in, and brushed her hair over her ear.

“You asshole,” said Faith. “I really thought you were going to break up with me.”

“No way babe,” said Caleb. “I love you until all the stars fall out of the sky.”






The End


August 10, 2019 19:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.