0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Funny

And the Winner Is

Suzanne Marsh

“So, what’s the catch?” How was I supposed to answer that? I am simply a small-time leprechaun, with a big mouth. I had no idea what this catch thing could possibly be. Johnny O’Dell was the lad that captured me; so, I am supposed to turn over this pot o’ gold. Yes, I have a pot o’ gold, every leprechaun does, the question is how did this mere mortal lad outsmart me, a leprechaun? I suppose I should replay the events as they occurred.

I was sittin at the end of a rainbow, in the forest near Dublin, that is Ireland of course. Most folks know that leprechauns like gold, we add it to the pot o’ gold at the end of the rainbow. Johnny laid a trap for me with several gold pieces; much to much temptation for a leprechaun like me. The forest after a rainfall always smells so sweet, and clean. There is always a rainbow, the one I was sittin under had hues of yellow, green, blue and purple, oh it was a dandy. Just sittin mindin me own when I saw the gold coins, before I could jump out of way Johnny had me in a box. That is a rotten thing to do to a leprechaun, really rotten. I banged on the box:

“You be lettin me out o here do you hear me?” My voice was a bit loud.

“I captured you fair and square. I want the pot o’ gold for me own.”

“I can’t just give it to you me boyo.” I was playin for time you see, I needed to figure out a

plan to get me out of his clutches. Nothing in my world is ever easy, convincing a mortal that there is no pot o’ gold is like trying to convince your mam that you will pick up after yourself. Leprechauns are supposed to be agile and wily I am neither. If I were agile, I would not have ended up in Johnny O’Dell’s clutches; there was one choice that might work for me if I could get the big lummox to look in another direction, long enough for me to escape. King Brian used that ruse many a time. Ah, yes, I still remember when I met King Brian, I was just a wee little lad. He had bright red hair, a large red nose and watery blue eyes; too much drink mam said. Everyone knows that leprechauns like beer and ale and of course whiskey.

I did have myself in a bit o a bind then I smiled to meself: I could give him some ale, get him drunk, then I could leave him in the forest, minus the pot o’ gold and perhaps something valuable to himself; like his gold coins. To me way of thinking a gold coin is a gold coin, and that was my plan. I wanted to be like King Brian or smarter but then again as I told ye I’m a big mouth leprechaun. I also remember a banshee I once encountered. Oh, she was a screamer, her wail could be heard from one end of Ireland to the other. She cursed any and all whom she met. I hoped on Saint Patrick’s staff that this banshee would appear. She always seemed to when she was needed. The sound grew louder as O’Dell squirmed around looking for what was makin the sound. I already knew; twas the banshee, herself. A vision of white and gray, no eyes no feeling. What a welcome sight she was. O’Dell, I could tell wanted to leave after all a banshee is a harbinger of death. A black horse appeared on the horizon, with a carriage, O’Dell knew it was for him, if he did not leave right then and there. He was in a panic if ever there was panic. His face began to turn white; his red hair became a shock of white. Oh, things were shaping up nicely at least for me. I was not asked whether I wanted the O’Dell dead, but if he was my poto' gold would be safe from him.

Shapes began to fade as O’Dell and I watched her depart, a whirl of wind and a howl. Time for me to leave O’Dell shaking like a leaf, he would not have the nerve to follow me deeper into the forest. I happen to have a thatched cottage with a very cozy hearth awaiting me return. That cottage also has my pot ‘ o gold and the rainbows. It tis in stark contrast to the rest of the forest. I am going to have to find a way to tie O’Dell up so I can make my get away.

I have me plan. I am goin to place a rope between two trees, run like a deer and watch O’Dell fall. I can tie him up and go home with honor. O’Dell if he can’t recapture me will forfeit the pot o’ gold. I must admit it is a good plan. I just hope it works.

I slip out after dark, tie me small rope around two trees. I whistle to O’Dell. He jumps up and begins to run after me. I am quicker than he, he stumbles and down he goes. Yes, so far so good. I quickly tie him up and run for me life.

I run almost through the entire forest; I can see me cottage now. Oh blessed Mary I made it. I don’t bother to look for I know O’Dell is not going to be any where around. Oh, no I look back, I see O’Dell in hot pursuit. Now what is a poor leprechaun to do? Simple, I will vanish. O’Dell can’t find me, perfect. Suddenly King Brian appears:

“Ah, Shamus, tis been a long time. You know you must give up your pot o’ gold to O’Dell.”

“I won’t King Brian, I was smarter than he.”

“No, Shamus you were not. He captured you, you know the leprechaun oath: if caught

give the pot o’ gold to the one who captured you and build a new pot.”

“Aye, I will.”

King Brian vanishes, I mumble and stumble over toward O’Dell:

“O’Dell, ye got me fair, I will give you my pot o’ gold. Ah, and there is no catch as you asked.”

March 07, 2023 23:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.