0 comments

General

I have a secret to tell. I have too many children to remember the dates for the birthdays so I end up having to notify myself. I don’t know why I do it because none of my children want these parties. Anyways, I always insist on them regardless. 


The most recent notification that popped up was Morty’s birthday is tomorrow. 


Truth be told I don’t know why I wait until the day before to start planning. Since it always stresses me out, I should probably set the notifications a few days earlier or stop having the parties. I have a suspicion that although my children are not grateful, they would probably start complaining if I stopped these parties.


At least, most of our neighborhood is used to these last-minute calls to tell them of the party the next day. They usually go something along the lines of


Hey, is this Cindy?

 

Yes. 

 

I would like to invite you to Morty’s party tomorrow. Are you available?

 

What time is it?

 

12- 4 pm.

 

Great. I’ll see you then!

 

I also have trouble keeping track of what each child’s hobbies are. 


Right now, I’m blanking on Morty’s hobbies. I believe that he likes cars and that his favorite color is blue. 


I think that he is turning 5. Wait, was it 4 or 6? I don’t know  why I even bother. I should be at work right now working on a report due by midnight tonight. If I miss a few more due dates, I’ll bet I’ll be fired. 


In the past I’ve asked my other children what age their siblings are but they always find it funny. They tell their sibling that they have a party tomorrow. I’ve stopped doing that because I want it to seem like a surprise although it has been routine for us. Sure, I have missed one or two by accident. On those occasions we have the party a few days later.


I remember one instance when I called a friend’s family.


Hello, is Michelle here?

 

No, she’s not available. Could I take the call for her?


Yes, I wanted to invite her to Rick’s birthday party tomorrow at 4pm?

 

Yes, we are available. I’ll check to see if she wants to come as she barely knows Rick. She’s best friends with Rebecca. Will Rebecca be there?

 

Let me think. No wonder that I messed up. Is it Rebecca who does swimming or Rachel because one of them has a swim meet during that time? I think that she’ll be there but I can’t promise it. 

 

Thank you! I’ll check with her but she’s less likely to be there as she doesn’t have a guarantee Rebecca will be there. Good luck planning.

 

Sometimes, these parties just end up being a family gathering. Other times we have a decent number of people. 


Back to the task at hand. I need to plan Morty’s party.


Did I remember to call for the cake? What’s the website for the company? 

 

Is it bestcakesforbirthdays.com or carcakesspecialty.com? I think it was carcakesspecialty.com. 

 

Where IS THE PHONE NUMBER ON THIS WEBSITE? How do they stay in business? Wait, I found a form. Let me fill this out. I ignore the text at the top of a page

 

Cake ordering form

Cake orders must be placed a week in advance or they won’t be processed.


Name: Jenna Scott

 

Who is the cake for: Morty Scott

 

When do you want it for: January 12, 2020

 

What type of icing: white icing

 

Any decorations: a blue car in the middle

 

I go into the pantry and look through the party supplies. Darn it! We’re out of plates and napkins with cars on them! Well, I better head to Party Supplies Supreme store. 


I head outside and notice that my car isn’t in the garage. Did someone steal it? Was it Emma who has driving lessons at this time or Emilia? Is that what she’s doing with the car? Did I ask someone to go on an errand? Oh wait! I think I remember someone drove to college in that car. Was that Sue? 

 

Well, well, well. What should I do about party supplies? Maybe, the car will be back tomorrow morning. Maybe, I should look online. Shipping always takes too long. What should I do? Maybe, I should just skip the party. I can’t do that. Yes, I can. No, I can’t. The kids will complain plus I’ve spent hours calling the guest list. I can’t wrap my mind around having to spend hours notifying the guest list that the party has been canceled. I’m getting so worried I think I’m just going to get to bed now.

 

Naturally, I’m a restless sleeper so I barely get any sleep. I keep looking at the alarm clock. It says 7: 00 pm, 7:10 pm, 7:20 pm. Well, I admit that I’m staring at it in hopes of it becoming tomorrow already.


Well, should I get up again? Are my kids in bed yet?

 

That’s another thing they hate. Being called kids. 


Let me go check. Wait, it’s too early for them to go to bed. Oftentimes, I’m in bed before them. 

 

Mom, I can hear you restlessly moving around in bed. How about you come read with us?


Thanks for the offer. I can’t focus on books. I need to check something on the computer. I head over to the computer. I sign on and check my email.


Wait, I didn’t get a confirmation email for the cake. I went back to the form and read the small print. Darn it! I should have ordered it from somewhere else.

 

Let me walk to the party store and get supplies. I think that it will be open. 

 

I grab my phone and put in my headphones. What, should I listen too. Hmm. How about my stress free playlist?


I walk and walk and walk. Before, I know it, it is dark out.


I get to the party store and see the sign that says Sorry, we’re closed now. Come back another time. Darn it. I look in the window and see the plates and cups I need in the front of the store just out of reach.


Maybe, I’ll have better luck at the grocery store. Maybe, it will be open tomorrow morning.


I start heading to the grocery store but I realize I don’t have any money with me. 


Why am I so forgetful? Maybe, they’ll let me pay for it later? It’s doubtful, so should I head home? Well, I’ll see what they can do at the grocery store? 

 

My worries are naught when I reach the grocery store because the store is also closed. This party is not to going to be good. So much for the stress-free playlist I was listening too. Hmm. Some of the neighbors like to bake but it’s too late to call them.

 

I head back home defeated. 


When I arrive home, Morty says, “I know what you’re doing. Don’t worry about it. I don’t really care but I appreciate you trying to surprise us.”


That was so nice to hear. “As I’ve called the guest list, I still plan to have a party for you.”


“Let me help. I’ll make the cake. Clara, can you look and see what party supplies we have?”


“Yes’, comes Clara’s reply from the living room ‘but I don’t want to use plastic or paper.”


“Never mind then. Ernie, could you look for the party supplies then?”


“Why are you giving orders to me, Morty? I refuse to do what you say as you are younger than me! I should be telling you what to do instead. Isn’t that right?”


“In this instance, I am trying to make it easier for Mom. Well, I’ll go look for supplies. It’s Rebecca who likes to bake. Could you bake a cake for the party tomorrow?”


“Sure, thing! What type would you like? How large? Any decorations?” Rebecca replied.


“Surprise me!”


I was shocked when I watched this entire ordeal. “Is there anything for me to do? she asked wanting to be part of the planning.


“Go, get some rest and stop worrying,’ Morty replied, ‘we’ve got it under control”.


For the first time, on the night before a party, she got a decent night of sleep. 


The next morning, she wakes up late and is surprised to see that her clock read 11: 45 am. 


Well, I better go downstairs to shower. I head downstairs and am stopped in my tracks because the house has been transformed. 


Ribbons are strewn up on the ceiling, balloons are tied to chairs. There is a large assortment of food. Cakes, cookies, chips, guac, and salsa along with any foods  you could want. 


I look at the largest cake. It is three stories high. Each layer is shaped in form of a book that Morty apparently liked to read. Well, good thing that the car plan was foiled because that would have been embarrassing.

 

I see Sue in the corner of the next room. In the room, Sue is standing it, there is a pile of books for guests to take to read along with gift wrapped presents. 


“Hey, Sue. Aren’t you supposed to be at college? I ask.


“Yes, Rachel called and asked me to take the day off. Plus, all of your children took the day off of school so I figured I should do the same.”


I survey the rest of the floor. I see so many games that I don’t recognize most of them. There is also a room full of toys for the younger kids. Suddenly, I hear the doorbell ringing. As Charlie is closest to the door, he opens the door and a flood of people streams in. I don’t recognize most of them. 


Each time, the doorbell rings, another stream of people arrives holding gifts of some sort. Soon enough, our house is crammed that we have to open up the basement and the top floors. Despite having a mansion, our whole house is packed with people. When we hear the doorbell ring again, we are not sure what to do with those people. 


Morty says, “How about we set up same games outside for the younger children?”


They all head out and start playing games. That frees up some space until more people arrive. 


“Hey, my house is across the street. We can extend the party over there if you want,” a friend or neighbor calls. 


“Looks like we’re going to need it,” I call still blown away by the magnitude of the party at hand.


From that day forward, the children took care of the parties for each other so that I never had to worry.

August 09, 2019 16:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.