31 comments

Drama Fiction Romance

 “Are you sure you want to do this?” Pete said, leaning on the bathroom door and picking at his nails. “Everyone would understand if you gave it a miss.”

Claire perched in front of the mirror, scrutinising her make up. “My bloody lipstick’s bled. Doesn’t that only happen to old people?”

“Just blot it with a tissue. You look fine.” Pete crossed the bathroom and put his hands on Claire’s shoulders. His hands felt warm and strong.

She reached for a tissue, but Joe’s toiletries still sat on the vanity.

“Can you get me one?”

Pete’s hand skirted around the shaving cream. 

Claire dabbed at the thin red lines running from her lips, seeking redemption further afield. Lips tell lies.

“They’re my friends too. I can turn up without him.”

Pete rubbed her shoulders. “Of course you can. It’s your first party in a while, of course you feel nervous.”

Claire shrugged Pete’s hands off her shoulders. “Christ, Pete, that’s a bit harsh. It’s hardly a bloody party.”

“Sorry, I…” Pete trailed off.

Claire lifted her chin. “Just so you know, I’m going to say my piece tonight. My truth.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Pete picked at his nails, smearing blood over his fingertips.

Giving herself a final look in the mirror, Claire adjusted her cleavage and smoothed her dress. Joe always said this dress accentuated her legs. The fabric didn’t hang quite the same now.

“Right, let’s get this over with then,” Claire said, heading for the door.

*

Claire dithered at the bottom of the stairs to the hall. She wiped her palms on her thighs, the sweat leaving streaks on the fabric.

Simon and Jun walked up the footpath, arms linked, chatting. She wiggled her fingers in a hint of a wave. Simon froze, and then dropped to tie his shoe, failing abysmally at pretending not to see her.

Pete rubbed Claire’s shoulder. “You’ve got this, babe.”

“I know.” Claire lifted her chin. “It’s all the other idiots who don’t. I feel like I need to write them a handbook or something. Here’s how to deal with your friend after a massive, life-changing ordeal.”

Pete chuckled. “It’d be a best seller, for sure.”

“It’s probably easier if we go round the back.” Claire pointed to the path running alongside the hall.

Joe kissed her for the first time on that path. He ran his hands through her hair and pulled her close, his lips whispering promises about always and forever. Lips tell lies.

*

Pete held the door open, and Claire peered inside. People gathered in groups scattered around the hall, talking, laughing, drinking. Balloons hung tastelessly from the ceiling in bunches, and two trestle tables sagged under the weight of asparagus rolls and other poor substitutes for happiness.

“His parents are here,” Claire said, backing into the foyer.

Pete pushed her into the hall. “What did you expect?”

Claire tried to turn, but Pete pushed her forward. “Let me go,” she hissed. People stared. A hush fell over the room. She swallowed, tasting bile.

Joe’s parents stood next to Reverend Tamati. The reverend spoke into Joe’s dad’s ear and gripped his elbow. Joe’s dad shoved it off and walked towards her. Joe’s mum shuffled in his wake. Claire rubbed the patch of white skin on her ring finger.

“Claire,” Joe’s dad said, giving a curt nod.

“How lovely to see you here,” Joe’s mum said, clasping her hands to her chest and ignoring Pete.

Claire nodded.

“I’m surprised you came.” Joe’s dad shoved his hands in his pockets.

“I’m not the one who did anything wrong.” Claire stared at her feet. The leather of her boots was pristine, not a scuff on it.

They stood for a moment, an uncomfortable silence hanging between them, before Joe’s dad nodded and shuffled his wife towards the snacks table.

“That could’ve been worse.” Pete shrugged.

“This might be.” Claire said, jerking her head towards three of Joe’s rugby friends as they staggered towards them. Reverend Tamati followed at a distance.

“Claire, you turned up.” Simon’s eyes were bloodshot, like he’d been crying.

She spread her arms and gestured to the people in the hall. “These are my friends, too. I can be here.”

Simon wiped his eyes. “Of course, it’s just that with everything, we wondered if you were feeling up to it.”

Ben leaned on her chair, his breath stunk of whiskey. Claire turned her head away. “Joe loved you,” Ben said, a sob catching in his throat.

“Not enough, obviously.” Claire swiped Ben’s hand off her chair.

The rugby mates pulled back, confusion written on their faces.

Jun bent down. “Claire,” she said. “You mustn’t blame yourself.”

“I don’t,” Claire replied, her voice louder than she intended. “I blame him.” A year’s worth of venom spilled into her words and another hush fell on the hall. Pete put a hand on her shoulder.

“He was drinking.” The pressure in her chest built, her truth trying to escape. “He lied. He bloody lied.”

A vein throbbed in Simon’s neck. “This is a bloody memorial, Claire. You can’t spout this crap here.”

 “Joe loved you,” Ben said again, his sobs echoing around the hall.

“Claire, no one could’ve known what would happen.” Jun licked her lips. Lips tell lies.

“You could’ve.” She stared at the three standing before her. “You all knew he was drinking. You let him get in the car.”

Reverend Tamati stepped forward, joining the circle. “This isn’t the place Claire. If you can’t keep it together, you’ll need to go.” He put his hands on his hips.

“Why?” Claire answered. “Is my truth too uncomfortable for you? You come here to celebrate him, his life. Yet no one got away unscathed by his actions that night.”

“God works in mysterious ways,” Reverend Tamati said.

“What a copout. There’s nothing mysterious about it. Joe got wasted. Joe got in a car. Joe crashed. Joe died. Everyone suffers.”

Across the room, Joe’s mum clung to his dad and sobbed. Claire’s stomach twisted and she felt the bile rising. People stood in small groups, pretending not to stare. People were always pretending not to stare.

“You should go.” Simon held the door open.

“Far out Claire, it’s pretty stink to speak ill of the dead, you know.” Jun put her arm around Ben.

Claire moved towards the door. Pete rubbed her shoulder. She paused before the threshold and then spun around.

“I don’t just blame Joe. I blame all of you too. You could’ve stopped him. Taken his keys. Anything.” She wiped the tears from her cheeks.

When her truth finally emerged, it was so fragile, it came out as a whisper. “You could have at least told me he’d been drinking.”

Ben shuffled and Jun looked at the floor, but Simon held her gaze.

“You seem to have forgiven him.” Simon pointed to Pete.

“Don’t you remember? My brother wasn’t even there that night.” Claire shook her head and turned back for the door.

Ben and Jun stood with their arms around each other, crying.

“I’m so sorry,” Ben whispered.

“Sorry doesn’t cut it. You are not forgiven.” Her voice rose. “None of you are forgiven.”

“It’s time to go Claire.” The reverend spread his hands wide and herded them towards the door.

She crossed the threshold with Pete by her side, leaving her truth in the hall.

“You need to let it go, Claire. Get over it.” Ryan called after them. “It’s not like Joe got to walk away from this.”

Claire spun her chair around, pausing on the ramp. “Neither did I, Ryan.”

May 13, 2021 09:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Eliza Villette
03:11 Oct 16, 2021

What a compelling story! Awesome.

Reply

Beth Jackson
00:20 Oct 19, 2021

Thank you so much! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lee C
03:20 Oct 11, 2021

Succinct, easy to follow . This is a warning against drunk driving brewed to its finest.

Reply

Beth Jackson
05:43 Oct 11, 2021

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhevalence .
08:41 Aug 30, 2021

All Blacks... Yay! First, thx for liking. What a wonderful story. You certainly know how to use words. As in the earlier comment, it was a bit confusing, but only a small bit. I'm wondering if you considered writing it in first person, I kinda feel like it's meant for that... But that's just me. But a wonderful story.

Reply

Beth Jackson
09:08 Aug 30, 2021

Thank you so much for your comments! I really appreciate it! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
14:02 Aug 29, 2021

Beth! I read this story again and I am still loving it! :)A

Reply

Beth Jackson
00:37 Aug 30, 2021

Awww, thank you!! Your kind words made my day!! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megara Jackson
11:11 May 22, 2021

The bad thing about being a slow reader when it comes to understanding things is that you DON'T understand things easily! Loved the story, but I have a few questions: 1. Pete is her brother, right? 2. Did she and Joe get divorced or did he just die in a car accident? 3. Why is everyone so uncomfortable with Claire? Is it because of the divorce? P.S. - I'm so sorry, I'm just super dumb, so I was hoping to get some answers so that I could better understand the story.

Reply

Beth Jackson
08:36 May 23, 2021

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story! Yep, Pete is her brother. I think people are uncomfortable with Claire because they feel guilty. They could have stopped Joe from driving drunk, or at least told Claire he’d been drinking. The last line suggests she’s in a wheelchair as a result of the crash, which helps to explain her angst. P.S. Asking clarifying questions totally doesn’t make you dumb! It makes you an inquisitive individual seeking to deepen their understanding of the world! :-)

Reply

Megara Jackson
12:28 May 23, 2021

Thank you so much! Both for answering my questions and telling me that I'm not dumb. I spend a lot of time thinking that about myself~~~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:23 May 20, 2021

Great job! There's nothing more I could add that everyone else hasn't already said. What a powerful story and hopefully a reminder to anyone who would drink and drive or allow their friends to. You did a fantastic job conveying the MC's feelings and everyone's discomfort with the truth she was telling. The twist at the end defintely put a major exclamation point at the end of this cautionary tale!

Reply

Beth Jackson
00:32 May 21, 2021

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your thoughtful comments! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Safaa Ismail
01:29 May 20, 2021

Love this story! “Lips Tell Lies” is such a deep part of the story and makes it so much better! I also love the twist at the end, and it really portrays the real feelings here. Great job!

Reply

Beth Jackson
07:23 May 20, 2021

Thank you so for your comments! I really appreciate it! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
01:22 May 20, 2021

That got uncomfortable fast! And the plot twist at the end... GREAT JOB!

Reply

Beth Jackson
07:23 May 20, 2021

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind words! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
R. B. Leyland
09:10 May 19, 2021

You did so well showing how one person's actions can impact so many other peoples lives, and how even a year later their lives are fractured. The 'Lips tell lies' really built up a tension that exploded at the end. Leaving it till the last line to see she didn't only suffer his loss but also the loss of her own body was great. Well done!

Reply

Beth Jackson
18:07 May 19, 2021

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback! :-)

Reply

R. B. Leyland
18:30 May 19, 2021

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Monica June
02:01 May 17, 2021

This story was so wonderfully paced, I hung on to every word! I really liked how everything slowly unfolded; I was really very interested the whole time. I loved the whole thing. Outstanding job!

Reply

Beth Jackson
02:22 May 17, 2021

Thank you so much for your lovely comments! I really appreciate it! :-)

Reply

Monica June
04:17 May 17, 2021

Of course!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:09 May 14, 2021

This was such a good read. “Lips tell lies.” I love that. You did a wonderful job setting the scene and wrapped it up so nicely. I could feel Claire’s emotions through the way you portrayed her. Great job!

Reply

Beth Jackson
01:00 May 15, 2021

Thank you so much! I really am grateful for your feedback! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruth Smith
12:42 May 14, 2021

Wonderful story. I held on to every word of it!

Reply

Beth Jackson
18:55 May 14, 2021

Thank you! I really appreciate your comments! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
10:42 May 14, 2021

Fabulous last line, love the finish! I like how you closed the story. And, great dialogue!

Reply

Beth Jackson
18:54 May 14, 2021

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gerald Daniels
08:22 May 14, 2021

Great story, intriguing plot and well written, loved it.

Reply

Beth Jackson
08:54 May 14, 2021

Thank you! I really appreciate your feedback. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.