Faraway The Gownboys

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write about someone who’s been sent to boarding school.... view prompt

7 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

Boarding school drop-offs are bound to be an angst-ridden affair. Not that I have much experience. For me, n = 1. But everyone's bound to be charged up. Happy. Sad. Scared.


Three weeks ago, mum and dad broke it to me that they were sloughing me off to Charterhouse for the next four years. My best mates—Shawn, Edgar, Tyler—are off to Eton or Wycliffe or else they're staying home. It’s not like we don’t have top schools here in Birmingham. 


In soft rebellion, I put off packing. I’m going away from mum and dad, and Janey and Charlie--and then what? Off to university. So, I get thirteen years or so at home, and then out, and I have nothing to say in the matter?


They try softening the blow. “It’s one of the top boarding schools in the world.” They try talking me off the ledge. “It’ll be great for your future—for university and beyond.” 


At thirteen, I wonder if I’m the only adult in the room. I ponder whether playing me like a chess piece in the name of setting me up for a 'bloody good future’ is good for me. The person


Sure, I’ll meet new mates and we’ll get on and we may be tight into young adulthood. But, this side of growing a forest in my armpits, I’m whisked away from my parents, my sibs, and my best mates. This is good for me?


The three-hour drive down to Surrey was deafening silence between us for most of the way. Mum asked as we drove off, “you sure you have everything, sweetie?” I was sullen. “This’ll be an adventure,” dad said. 


I know without looking that my face is a portrait of red and blotchy. Big emotions always bring out the blotchy face. And I feel like I’m being hauled off to Belmarsh, to live with a hectare’s worth of captured terrorists. The lord only knows what I did to deserve this, and it's no use asking. They've already spun my sentence into a sort of magnificent gift. 


Dad plays classical music for most of an otherwise quiet drive. We finally pull into the grounds at Charterhouse and drive around a bit. It has an ancient and sort of pristine academic vibe. Well, ok. It looks nice


Dad asked an older man and woman for directions to my dorm. Knowing we were new, they both turned up all the octogenarian charm they could muster. Follow Queen's Drive. Right on Princess Avenue and left after Founder's Court.


That's the way to Gownboys, my new home away from home. It appears I’m moving into a castle here in Surrey. A quasi-Blenheim Palace, only not.


Instantly I’m an omelet of emotions. I cried when I hugged Janey. I tried not to cry when I told Charlie to “be good to your sis' and your parents!” I stewed the whole way here. I'm angry, and a wee bit nervous about, well... missing everyone. And, having seen the place, I wonder if this is as bad as I imagined. 


Anyway, I do not want to cry when mum and dad pull away and wave bye-bye. For now, I’m just keen to see the castle. 


We walk inside over ancient stone floors and immediately come upon a girl at a table. She has magnificent brown hair, wide brown eyes, and perfectly American-looking teeth, which are a gate that opens to a mellifluous Irish accent. “Welcome to Gownboys! You must be the Chopman family. I’m Ruby!” 


I plunge out my hand. “I’m Ollie. This is my mum and dad, Thomas and Eleanor.” Ruby’s still glowing and self-assured. Wait! Am I still blotchy?


She insists it’s a pleasure meeting us and announces that “Gownboys is the oldest house on campus, going back to 1614 as the original house of scholars. It’s the most centrally located of all the houses and," dropping her chin and her voice, "has all the best views!” 


My room is on the second floor. My roommate is a bloke called Elgin, from Queensgate, London. Breakfast is every day at 7:30. There will be an orientation tomorrow morning at 9:30 in Founder’s Chapel. 


Looking right at me she asks, “What will you study?”


Oh, uh. Well. I’d like to focus on government and politics, and also study some in religion and ethics. I want to work for Her Majesty at MI6 or MI5.


Ruby, I'm hoping..." I stop, lean in slightly, and suddenly begin speaking in a faux library tone, "I really wanna be a spy.” She half-smiles and I immediately wonder if she thinks I’m a total wanker. 


I wish I could take it back. How many times has Ruby rolled her eyes at some wanna be ninth year slipping in here fresh from their mum and dad's house and pretend they're the next 007?


Another family trundles in behind us. They drop their luggage in a thunder onto the old stone floor. They're speaking Swiss-German in a volume they'd employ if they were at opposite ends of Wembly Stadium.


Ruby becomes a model of efficiency. "Right!" she says, stowing a piece of hair behind one ear. And then, here’s a campus map. Here’s the key. And that’s that. 


We fetch my bags and slog them two flights upstairs with a landing in between, and then we open room 202 at the far end of the hall. The window is propped open and a gusty breeze greets us. 


The flat amounts to a square room with bunk beds against the wall on the left. There are two desks with green bankers' lamps on them. The navy coloured walls look decently clean and unchipped and the floors are old-world wood. Our room needs stuff in it--even a mum's touch. 


My face was blank while dad wondered, “what do you think, son?” 


“She seems really great!” 


“Not the girl. What do you think about the room, silly!” 


“Oh. Yeah. I suppose it'll be fine.” 


Then dad does one of those moves that plays much better with toddlers, placing a flat palm on the top of my head and tossing my hair around like Caesar's salad. I love my father, but that move is way past its expiration. 


We throw my stuff on the bottom bunk and then turn and head down to the car to say goodbye. Ruby's in full flow. She's holding court with three families who are all captivated by her beyond-her-years poise. I keep walking and check my shoes for no reason whatsoever. 


Don’t cry. Don’t cry. You’re not a baby. Don’t cry. 


The moment my chukka boot lands on the parking lot, the floodgate opens. It’s mostly silent at first, as I’m trying to force a modicum of maturity and composure. As much as I may have thought I’d blurt out something about not wanting to be here, that’s not even my first thought. 


I’m thinking about missing my whole family. Since I’m the oldest, I'm trying to sound a bit grown up. My shoulders start to riot and quake and I ask them to “take care of J and C for me, will ya?” It's beyond pathetic.


They grin. We all hug in a little circle for what seemed like twenty minutes. I cry like I just fell out of my crib. I wonder--though I couldn't care less about the answer--where in the world all this water comes from; my eyes and my shirtsleeves are soaked. 


They drive off in a blur of tears and taillights. When will I see them? When will I see Charlie and Janey, much less Tyler and Edgar and Shawn?


I'm exhausted from it all. Scary as it is--if only for a time--it's just me and the Gownboys. Room 202. Down the hall. It's the last door on the left.

October 21, 2020 01:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Sabrina Smith
19:36 Nov 01, 2020

Hello! I am here from Critique Circle (I apologize for how long it took me to get back to you). I was so immersed in this story as I read it. The tone was immaculate, and one of my favorite aspects of it were his thoughts inserted. It made his feelings shine through the work in such a unique way. Such an amazing job, well done!

Reply

Dale Westervelt
20:06 Nov 01, 2020

Thank you so very much! So kind and wonderful!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AJ Hensley
16:51 Oct 31, 2020

Hi Dale! I'm here from Critique Circle. Thank goodness they sent me your way because this piece was BEAUTIFUL! As I was scanning through the first time, looking for edits and critiques, I found that halfway down I had stopped looking for edits and was fully enraptured in the story. I had to go back and start over so I could fully immerse myself in the content. The raw, real emotions of this young boy shone through the page. I could feel the angst and the fear. I could see the splotchy face and at one point also found it hard to breathe, f...

Reply

Dale Westervelt
21:28 Oct 31, 2020

AJ, My goodness! What a kind and extraordinary commentary! "Gownboys" was my first public submission of any story anywhere, and you are my first review. I am beyond flattered and grateful! Thank you for taking the time to share with me your gracious and very specific comments!!! You made my day! Dale

Reply

AJ Hensley
21:46 Oct 31, 2020

That's wonderful! The boarding school submission was also my very first submission ever, so I know how exciting (and nerve-wracking) it is! You created a beautiful piece. Kudos!

Reply

Dale Westervelt
23:29 Oct 31, 2020

May I ask if there's a way (on Reedsy) to publish a story that's not part of a weekly contest?

Reply

AJ Hensley
06:40 Nov 01, 2020

I don't believe so - at least not a way that I've seen. Although I'm pretty new here myself! That feature could be lurking somewhere I'm not familiar. Wattpad is a great resource if you're looking to put pieces out there for consumption and discussion :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.