9 comments

Fiction Sad Friendship

In a month, I will be twelve. The end of my childhood and the beginning of my adolescence. The start of high school. My birthday falls on August 25th, and a week later I will be attending a new school. Luckily me, I have a few friends from last year that will be with me. That is a relief. I am a quite shy boy. Especially at first, in new surroundings.

I told my parents that I did not want a birthday party at home with friends. Like we have been doing for several years now. I felt like I was too old for that. But you know how parents are. They will insist. They will convince you. Give you a lecture. I had time to decide whether I wanted party at home or just take it easy, and spend it the way I want it. Maybe hang out with my close buddies at the mall or the movies.

By mid-August, I get a call from Jake. Jake has been my best friend since we were five. He explains to me that Melanie will not be attending to our new school in September.

‘’Ah I see. Do you know which school she will be attending?’’

‘’I have no clue but if I were you, I would invite her to your birthday party,’’ tells me Jake.

‘’Why would I do that? Are you calling me just for this?’’

‘’Common Daniel…you know why I am mentioning this?’’

‘’You explain to me why? My ears are all yours,’’ and that did not sound to convincing when I said that.

‘’Since the third grade, I have seen you the way you look at her, and the few words you have uttered to her like a broken tape recorder. Tell me that you don’t have a crush on her?’’

‘’Whether I have a crush or not, why would I invite her?’’

‘’I just told you. She won’t be attending our school. Perhaps, this is your chance to talk to her, say more then three consecutive words and show your feelings to her. Be a man.’’

Maybe Jake is right. But…how do I invite her? I don’t have her number. I have Facebook but my parents keep an eye on what I am doing on it. I am trying hard not to show my feelings to her but I do like her a lot. She is the only girl in my class from the past three years, who took time to write a few words for Valentine’s Day. I did not have the guts to give her a Valentine’s greeting card because I was too afraid and shy.

I am a pretty introverted person and prefer to be alone most of the time. Except when I can hang out with Jake and Brian. I have known Brian also since I was five. I don’t have too many friends and so imagine to befriend a girl. I can see how Melanie was grown up and is almost a woman. A very beautiful young girl. What do I have to lose, right? Maybe Jake is right. Maybe I should stop being a chicken and man up.

I decided that, I will have this birthday bash at home after all. Maybe not more than fifteen people. I told Brian and Jake, who was coming over and I gave the list to my parents. They will need to prepare ahead in terms of decorations, cake, food, soft drinks, supper, etc. Perhaps, with a larger group of people that I have known for years, that will help me break the ice with Melanie. 

The D-Day has arrived. It is a Friday which is perfect. The party can go on late through the evening. Now, I did not invite directly Melanie. I asked Jake, and he asked Glen, then I believe Glen asked Joy, who then asked Melanie. Oh boy…not sure what she is going to think about me.

My parents got everything ready. The whole nine yards. The time was set for 6 PM. The first guests got around 6:20 PM. It was my two close buddies. Jake and Brian. They both got me a little gift. I did tell them it was not necessary. Just to be with them on my birthday was more important. As time went by, almost everyone was there. Now, it was close to 8 PM and no news of Melanie. I ask Jake if he was sure that the message was relayed to her. He told me she should be aware of today’s special event. I know Melanie never came to my past birthday parties. It was the first time.

Now it is almost 10 PM. Parents are picking up the kids that were at my party. The evening was great. Unfortunately, it is ruined without that special someone I longed to see. Jake and Brian stayed almost till midnight to help my parents and myself to pick up and get the house in order. Also, their parents are close to my parents. 

‘’Look guys…you were great. I want to thank both of you,’’ as I shook my hands with Brian and Jake.

‘’Daniel, I wish…I wish she would have been here. Maybe, I should have called her or talked to her in person. She would have been here,’’ as Jake looks down with disappointment.

‘’Guys…this will not be the last birthday party. Cheer up! Look, I will try to talk to her over the weekend. Maybe over Facebook, email, call her if I have to,’’ explains Brian.

‘’Guys, you have done a lot already. I am the one who should have initiated the first contact. I am so stupid. More stupid than me can exist,’’ expressing my disappointment.

Jake’s and Brian’s parents came over around midnight to pick them up. Another birthday has gone by and I am feeling old. I should not feel that way. I guess I am no longer a little kid now. Teen years have begun.

I regret so much. I do have feelings for Melanie. She is pretty, she is smart, and she is not like the other girls of my class that ignores me. She takes the time to say hi to me. She is not shallow, and a very modest girl. Humble. Now that I am thinking about my situation. I feel like Charlie Brown who had a crush with that lovely redhead and he was never able to tell her how he felt. Will I ever see her again?

May 14, 2021 15:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

02:13 May 19, 2021

nice but agreed wt comment [KEEP WRITING]

Reply

Show 0 replies
Xitlaly Lopez
03:31 May 18, 2021

It gives off the meaning that if you want something you should take charge first. It's a good story. It shows the way how some teens have trouble expressing their emotions too eachother. I would loved to see more description of how exactly he was feeling during the party like if he was nervous or scared to see if she would have arrived. Also, when she didn't arrive. You could have introduced more about him and his friends a little more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jaquelyn Castano
02:59 May 18, 2021

This was a great story but I'd have to agree with some of the comments, some sentences feel a little choppy and there's no background to the characters. I do appreciate the sophisticated route you took but I think a more laid back writing style would suit the story more and help with the choppy sentences, since some words look like they were shoved in there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:21 May 17, 2021

The story is very cute but I feel like it could have flowed a little better because at times the sentences felt a bit choppy. The characters seem likable so it would be nice to see their personalities explored more. Overall a nice story :)

Reply

Tessa Synder
19:44 May 18, 2021

sameeeee!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marissa Stutzman
15:49 May 17, 2021

I am so invested in this story please write a sequel but we need a little bit more background but you are an amazing writer and i would love to read the sequel!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charlie Murphy
16:17 May 15, 2021

I don’t think 12-year-olds can join Facebook. I don’t think Daniel would shake hands with Brian and Jake. Are they from another country? Other than that, great story! Are you going to write a sequel?

Reply

Tessa Synder
19:53 May 18, 2021

Actually 12 year old's can have facebook. and yes Daniel and Brian would gladly shake hands.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Virginia Rand
11:25 May 15, 2021

You've introduced us an interesting character that I'd like to see more of, but I feel like a lot of this story was shown instead of told. I'd love it if you were able to give us a bit more of the background through characters interacting rather than internal explanation. Keep writing! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.