96 comments

General

Someone looking up at the stars, slowly and carefully, tears falling apart. I walked into that space, I carefully noticed him. Oh! He was a dear friend, a friend I had lost contact with in my school days. He slept on the grass, full of mist, put his hands under his head, and kept looking up. He gazed those stars with heavy, passionate and dedicated eyes. He looked as if he had lost himself there somewhere in the sky.


I walked upto him. In that space of garden. "Hey! Hailey here, from high-school" "Hey Hailey! I umm. I didn't recognise you." "It's ok, It has been like 5 years to high school, but I clearly remember you Joe,the last bench loafer." "Hey! Are you Hailey? Hailey,the one who used to score full marks everytime? The topper? Oh my gosh! You look so different now!" "Haha! Yes, puberty hits everyone hard I guess, it has been good to me too. Umm, do you mind if I ask you something?" "Sure Go ahead?" " I was watching you from a distance, you look a lot worried and upset. Is there something bothering you?" " Ah! Come sit with me." He was lying down on the grass as I sat beside him, I brought spread my legs straight and took the support of my hand laying it behind on the grass. He pointed towards the sky and asked me to watch their uneven shape.

 "Do you see that star?" "Yes, I do. It is the pole star I guess." "No, that's my Mother there, I come here every night just to talk to her." "Oh, I am so sorry to hear that, when did it happen." "Do you remember the Tsunami that came last year here? She was there on the beach that time, having absolutely no idea about this, and the worst that could happen to me was, I didn't even got her body." "I am so sorry to know that, I hope you're okay." "It has been one year, I am getting better every day. She used to often tell me to take care of things, but I never did. And now that she is gone, I care the most. Why does  it happen that only to know the importance of something, that something has to be dead."

      As he was expressing all of this, I could see the pain of sorrow in his eyes, the tears expressing his guilt. I held his hand, tight and firm. He was shivering, his blood flow went high, he kept on crying, but didn't utter a sound. Somewhere, I felt he is still stacking all of his pain inside, he just needed to vent it out. I took a deep breathe, got together all of my gut and hugged him and I said, "It'll all be okay, just take care of whatever you have now, Maybe the Mother Earth needed you Mother more than you, so she took her away, maybe she wanted you to take care of her, and yourself and your life." 

      He started crying loud, his voice was powerful, powerful enough to move me from within. I was shocked, terrified and moved by his pain. I just found myself lucky enough to have everything in my life, and decided to not take even the slightest thing for granted. I wasn't as strong as him to face any pain. My eyes were full of tears, but I didn't chose to cry because I had to support Joe. I was there for him. I closed my eyes and hugged him tight. 

He asked me if I'll support him in working for the good cause of environment, so that nobody loses their mother like he did. I was numb and quiet, I didn't know what to say. But I had to support, because whatever he was saying was right. 

     But suddenly, I felt as if he was going away, The tighter I grabbed him,the more I lost him. I felt as if I hugged a body of sand than blood and bones. I was slowly losing him all. I opened my eyes. I actually found no one around. I was sitting in that space all alone. All of a sudden there was nobody around. I got up, I ran. I ran so fast and so far, in search of Joe. I didn't find a single human around. "Somebody there?" I screamed aloud, I kept on screaming, running and I didn't find anybody around. 

I felt unsafe and alone, I ran straight back to my place. I kept knocking the door, there was nobody responding. I decided to go and jump from the window. I ran behind the house. I tried looking in through the window, I saw nobody around. I was freaking out slowly, I started losing my mind. I jumped in from the window,looked around the house. Neither Mumma, nor my sister, there was nobody there. I ran out of the house and decided to check in the neighborhood. I ran and ran and kept on running. I didn't find anyone in the neighborhood. 

       I was tired, done and dusted. Suddenly, felt a hand on my shoulder. "Mom, I knew you were here." I turned around. It was Joe, standing there, I asked him where was he gone. 

     "Just to tell you, you are last human left. There is no one there on the earth and soon even you will be dead." Saying these words he vanished away.

      I got scared. I got so scared. I kneeled down and put my hands on eyes, and cried.

I kept crying and prayed to God to please give everyone back. 

     As I opened my eyes, I saw Mumma lying besides me, I walked down the stairs and saw my sister sleeping on her bed. I walked up to the neighborhood and saw their lights on. While coming back to home, I saw a bunch of guys and girls eating the Street food.I walked upon terrace, I realised and I prayed to God, I thanked him for blessing all the humans with such a beautiful life and told him how he has expressed himself in my dream and how I have understood each and every part of it and promised him to take care of Mother Earth and he smiled and looked down at me as if I was someone looking up at the stars.

May 01, 2020 17:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

96 comments

P. Jean
01:46 May 04, 2020

Yes, engrossing! Liked it very much!

Reply

Nandita Mishra
12:58 May 04, 2020

Thank you so much :) Means alot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Varun Kondreddy
00:08 May 04, 2020

Very well written,Keep going!

Reply

Nandita Mishra
12:58 May 04, 2020

Thank you so much :) Means alot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Srijan Saha
23:43 May 03, 2020

Beautiful writing! Keep it up😊

Reply

Nandita Mishra
12:58 May 04, 2020

Thank you so much :) Means alot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shrey Sachdeva
22:20 May 03, 2020

Beautiful story! Keep going!

Reply

Nandita Mishra
12:58 May 04, 2020

Thank you so much :) Means alot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sushma Tiwari
21:21 May 03, 2020

Very well written Nandita, keep up the good work 👌

Reply

Nandita Mishra
12:58 May 04, 2020

Thank you so much :) Means alot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jaydeep Patel
20:25 May 03, 2020

Emotions penned down very well💯💯

Reply

Nandita Mishra
12:58 May 04, 2020

Thank you so much :) Means alot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shashwat Shukla
20:02 May 03, 2020

This is a beautiful, beautiful story. I loved it so much I reread it immediately. Keep up the good work.👍🏻

Reply

Nandita Mishra
09:46 May 07, 2020

Thank you so much,it means alot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anirudh Pareek
19:49 May 03, 2020

This is very well penned. The emotional build throughout the piece is nicely done. I thoroughly enjoyed how it led up to such a raw exposure of emotion. Nicely done.

Reply

Nandita Mishra
19:57 May 03, 2020

Thank you so much,it means alot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Priyesh Sharan
19:42 May 03, 2020

Really well written!

Reply

Nandita Mishra
19:57 May 03, 2020

Thank you so much,it means alot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Abhishek Dey
19:35 May 03, 2020

Awesome.... Keep adding more... Good luck 👍👍

Reply

Nandita Mishra
19:57 May 03, 2020

Thank you so much,it means alot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aprajita K
19:22 May 03, 2020

Beautifully crafted.

Reply

Nandita Mishra
19:57 May 03, 2020

Thank you so much,it means alot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhruv Upadhyay
19:22 May 03, 2020

Alludes existence. This read makes one value life :)

Reply

Nandita Mishra
19:58 May 03, 2020

That means a lot, thank you so much. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Manish Kumar
19:22 May 03, 2020

Beautiful written!! Loved it.

Reply

Nandita Mishra
19:58 May 03, 2020

Thank you so much,it means alot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anisha Mohanty
19:13 May 03, 2020

This was really well written. Loved the concept, and how it unfolded. Keep up the good work!

Reply

Nandita Mishra
19:58 May 03, 2020

Thank you so much,it means alot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Par Esh
19:13 May 03, 2020

In starting only it's took my heart♥️

Reply

Nandita Mishra
19:58 May 03, 2020

Thank you so much,it means alot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mercy Akinyi
20:21 Sep 29, 2020

Nice story with a strong imagination ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jyoti Bhoskar
16:30 May 09, 2020

Wonderful story...bit scary ...with nice and strong message... Liked it... All the best fr yr future... Keep writing...beta. God bless you...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dey Knight
15:50 May 09, 2020

I like your story! There's a really interesting twist right at the end--well done! The only thing I could suggest is some revision for sentence grammar. I really like the message of gratitude, and making every moment count :) I was wondering if you would mind taking a look at one of my stories, and letting me know what you think/how I can improve?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jyoti Tiwari
05:00 May 09, 2020

A deep and beautiful story nandita keep writing good luck !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jpsharma Sharma
12:02 May 07, 2020

Very great thinking congatulation

Reply

Nandita Mishra
19:08 May 07, 2020

Thank you so much. Means alot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.