Fantasy Island

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Center your story around an unexpected summer fling.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Fiction Romance

Content Warning: Language, Mature Content

"Say I do. I do, I do, I do...." I have to laugh, if I don't I may burst into tears. The universe just had to dig the thorn a little deeper.

Here I am, on my honeymoon. Well, what should've been my honeymoon. Now, I suppose, it's just a vacation, a definitely needed vacation.

I was left at the altar by my now ex fiancee. He ran off with, you guessed it, my now ex best friend. It was a total cliche, something you only see in a movie, but never actually think it could happen to you. Until it does, exactly like it happens in the movies. Marcy and Joe had been best friends since childhood. BLECH! It was actually Marcy that introduced me to him. Said he'd be good for me, as I had a track record of shitty men.

Marcy and I met in college. We were roommates at NYU, and after that it was history. After we graduated, me with a degree in Musical Theatre and her with one in Architecture. Two completely different souls, but I think that's why we got along so well. She helped keep me grounded, and I helped bring her out of her shell. During our friendship, I would always hear her talk about Joe. How good of a friend he was, how they grew up together. I first met him over a weekly Facetime call, I was simply introduced as her roommate. After that, I talked on the phone with both of them every week.

One spring break, I was going to do what I usually do, spend time reading. I was feeling sorry for myself, and was planning on staying in the dorms, but Marcy begged me to come spend it with her. She promised fun, and distraction, and a face to face introduction with Joe. She told me he ha[ a string of bad relationships, and thought meeting him would help both of us. So I went with her, and I had a great time. I loved her family, and I got along great with Joe. Like really great. Joe was tall and lean, with straight blonde hair swept away from his face. His blue eyes always shone with unheard laughter, and he was one of the nicest people I had ever met.

The both of us started messaging back and forth, which turned into nightly calls, which then turned into us visiting back and forth on weekends. That, of course, turned into a long distance relationship. Finally he moved out here to NYC, and our relationship thrived. We were together almost all the time, he would come to all of my performances, and we'd go to lunch on his work breaks. He was a finance man, so he was busy, but always made time for me. It was better than I could've dreamed. With Marcy at our sides, we were inseparable. Then he proposed.

I was beyond myself, I had an inkling, but never thought it would actually happen. Marcy planned the whole event, and I had no clue. I thought we were just having a fun girls day ending in cocktails and pretty dresses. Then out pops Joe, down on his knee, with a beautiful ring. I immediately burst into tears, shouting yes. From then on it was a true fairytale. Marcy, of course, was my maid of honor, and she took it to the next level. She took over, I literally had nothing to do. In her element, it was the smoothest transition from engagement to wedding. That is, until I found out they were getting together behind my back. It had been going on almost the whole two and half years we were together. I had thought Marcy was happy in her relationship, just as I thought Joe was happy in ours. 

Apparently, it started out as a drunken kiss, a mistake. Well that turned into a very sober night together. Neither of them wanted to hurt me, or Marcy’s boyfriend, Donnie, so they said it was a one time thing. Yeah, a one time a day type thing. For two whole years. 

Once I found out, I immediately broke it off. I had dealt with cheating too much in my past relationships. I really thought Joe would never do that to me, but I was very wrong. They both tried apologizing, but I was done. I couldn’t handle looking at either of them. I had nowhere to go, so I went and stayed with my parents. Then I remembered our honeymoon.

His family had already paid for the honeymoon trip to the Caribbean, so I told them I was going to take that trip myself. Thankfully his parents were on my side. They were livid with their son and Marcy. His parents were so apologetic, and so kind, that it made me feel worse. They told me if I needed anything to let them know, but the vacation was mine.  I gave them my thanks, but told them I just wanted to get away, and needed my space. 

Which is how I ended up here, on the island of St. Lucia all by my lonesome. The resort I am staying at is great, and the scenery is beautiful. As crappy as my almost wedding was, this little getaway is worth it. I’ve been sitting by the water reading, sipping on delicious cocktails, and dancing with strangers in the evening. It’s incredibly freeing. It’s my last day here, and I promise myself I am going to end it with a bang. I haven’t let myself even think about kissing another man. Well, no that’s not true. I’ve thought about it. A lot. I’ve just never gotten the courage up to do anything about it. Tonight’s gonna be different, though. It has to be.

As I survey the area around the bar and dance floor for my new dance partner, I lock eyes with I think the most beautiful man I have ever seen. I know I am gaping, but I truly can’t help it, and at this point I don’t care. He smiles, looks away, then back towards me. I am still staring, but this time I gain back control of myself, and smile. This time I am the one to break eye contact. A few moments later, Mr. Dark Haired Adonis is next to me. He is taller than Joe, so much so I have to crane my neck to look at him. He has dark, curly hair that hangs just above his shoulders, and  a dark beard to match. 

“Hello, there.” Adonis says in a thick accent. My knees threaten to melt beneath me. “My name is Kostas.” So, I was correct about the Greek thing. His smile widens, and I realize I have just been ogling him. 

Clearing my throat, I stammer, “H-hi. I’m Pip-Pippa.” I take his outstretched hand, and he shakes it slowly. 

“Pippa…I like it. Very pretty. Is it short for Philippa?” He smiles again, and I notice how neither of us is pulling our hand away from each other. 

“Thank you, yes. It is short for Philippa. It always sounded too formal for me, though. What about you, Kostas? Is that short for Adonis? I know it’s not, but that fact cannot go unnoticed anymore.” I finally pull my hand away, and use both to gesture to all of him. He laughs, and full rich laugh. Smooth like butter. I am in danger. 

Kostas wipes at his eyes, “That is far too much, and far too kind, Pippa.” He leans his hip against the bar I am sitting at. “So, what brings you out here?”

My eyes instantly shift away, and I feel uncomfortable. “I uh…It’s a very uninteresting story, boring really.” I look back up at him. “Let’s just say I needed a vacation, a getaway.” I finish with a smile that’s a little too big. He gives me a look like he doesn’t believe me, but doesn’t push it. 

Nodding, Kostas says, “I don’t think anything about you could be boring.” He ducks his head, to look me more in the eyes. His are like two dark pools that I want to swim in. I take a deep breath, because I fear I will lose myself. 

“What about you, Adonis? Anything special planned while you’re here?” He laughs at my nickname, and looks away himself. 

“I was supposed to be here with my fiance. It was a trip for both of us before the wedding, but she decided a marriage with me wasn’t what she wanted.” I touch his arm that’s placed against the counter. I can’t help myself. He looks at my hand before continuing. “So I took this trip for myself. Like you, I needed a respite from life.” 

“I’m sorry you had to deal with that. I can’t emphasize enough how much I understand, but I do.” We smile at each other, then hold eye contact. I feel my heart stutter a bit, biting my lip, I swiftly change the subject. “Do you dance, Adonis?” 

He shakes his head. “Kostas.” He laughs. “Call me Kostas, and yes, I do dance.” He steps closer into my space. “Especially when a beautiful, single woman is asking.” 

I chuckle, and hop up from the stool I’ve been sitting on. I hold out my hand, and without another word he takes it. I lead him to the dance floor, and the band starts a new song. Adonis pulls me close. He wraps one hand firmly around my waist, making our bodies flush together. He takes his other hand, and lifts my chin so our eyes meet. 

“Eyes on mine, Pippa.” He says taking my hand in his, and we begin to move. He moves really well. 

It’s like riding a wave while surfing. He knows exactly when to plant his feet, and when to let them fly. There are several times when he grips my waist, and lifts me into the air. I can do nothing, but let him lead. I don’t  know the steps, but I don’t think he does either. He simply lets the music take over. After twist and turn, our eyes always lock onto one another, and he makes it impossible to look away. My breathing is becoming uneven, and I don’t know how, but our bodies feel like they are fusing closer together. There are moments when I feel like he is about to kiss me, and I so badly want him to. Every time we face each other, I tip my head back a bit further. He never takes that last leap though.

We dance through, I think, about four songs. We are some of the last people left on the dance floor, everyone else retiring to their villas. He asks me if I am thirsty, and all I can do is nod. We walk off the dance floor hand in hand, and he asks one of the bartenders for two waters. We drink them in silence, our eyes flitting to the other. He is the one to speak first. 

“So, Pippa..” He moves imperceptibly closer to me. “I-” He groans, shaking his head. 

Like earlier, I grab his arm. “What? What is it, Adonis?”

His gaze jumps back to mine, while one of his hands makes its way to my hair. His hand tightens, forcing my head back. “How many times do I have to tell you? Call me Kostas. If we are doing this, I want my name, my real name on your lips.” I don’t hide my coy smile. He shakes my head a bit, sick of waiting. “Well?” 

I lick my lips, and watch his gaze fixate on my mouth. “Fine then…” I lift up on my toes, my mouth an inch away from his. I want him to feel it when I say his name. “Kostast.” I barely get it out of my mouth before his is on mine, and I am lost. 

He kisses me with abandon. Free, and wild, and I give it right back. I wrap one arm around his neck, my own hand tangling in his hair. It’s as soft as silk. He moans as my fingers curl on his scalp, and the sound sets me on fire. I don’t know how long we are glued together like this, but it’s long enough that I feel like I am floating. That’s because I am. He has completely lifted my feet off the ground, holding me up with one arm. 

Kostas finally pulls away, both of us breathing hard. He looks at me, and the smile that lights up his face is breathtaking. My brain has short circuited, and I can’t form any coherent thoughts. Apparently he’s in the same boat. We both laugh at ourselves, at each other, at nothing really. Just laugh for the sake of joy. He sets my feet back on the ground, but that floaty feeling stays in my head. 

Taking my face in his hands, he says “I want to be a gentleman. Court you, properly.” I giggle at his words. “But, I don’t know how much time I will have with you, and I want to use it to my full advantage.” He takes this time to push our bodies together again. I can feel exactly what he means. 

I am not one for one night stands. I have never slept around, or cheated, because I have only had one serious relationship. If ever I was going to do something, now is the time, and I really want it. 

“Kostas,” He smiles against my lips, brushing hair out of my face. “I want to be honest with you.” He nods. “I am fresh off the altar.” I feel him freeze, but I grab his wrists in my hands. “My fiance ran off with my best friend. Yes, I know how it sounds, but it’s true. I am not one to do things on the fly, I’m a thinker.” He’s looking directly at me now. “But this, whatever this is. I want it. Even if it’s just for one night, I want you.” 

His lips attack mine again, and this time I am the one moaning. I am forced back up on my toes, as he is too tall for me to reach otherwise. I finally break the kiss to finish my point. 

“I am leaving. Tomorrow. This is my last night here. I will understand if you don’t want to spend the night with me, not knowing if this is going to go anywhere, but-” A quick kiss. I laugh, “But, you need to walk away now. If you don’t, I am taking you back to my room, and we are going to sleep together.” 

Kostas doubles over in laughter. I can’t help but laugh as well at my bluntness. Once he stands back up he says, “I’d rather not spend my night kicking myself for leaving you. If it’s what you really want, sweet Pippa, I will spend your last night worshiping you.” He says the last few words in a whisper, right next to my ear. I don’t hide the shiver that runs down my spine. 

No need for any more words, I take his hand and lead him back to my villa. We spend the night doing things I only read about in my romance books. He is true to his word, and he worships. With his hands, his mouth, and his words. He makes me feel more beautiful than I have ever felt in my life. Every time I feel like I can’t take any more, he somehow manages to keep going. We spend the entire night like this, in perfect bliss. Once we are both sated, we wrap our limbs around each other, and fall asleep together.  

My alarm goes off the next morning, and I am fuming. I slept more soundly than I have in the last few weeks. As I try to get out of bed, Kostas pulls me back into bed, and we go again. I don’t know how, but we do. Afterwards, after a few failed attempts, I begrudgingly pull myself out of bed. Kostas follows behind, we dress, and he helps me pack. Kind of, it’s more so just throwing things haphazardly in my suitcase. My cab is going to be here soon. 

We run outside just as it pulls up. Kostas leans down and asks for a pen. The cabbie hands him one, then Kostas grabs my hand. “This is my number, and email.” He says, quickly scribbling the information down. “I want you to promise,” He flicks the tip of my nose. “Promise to contact me. I don’t care that we live on other sides of the world. I want to get to know you better.” 

I promise him, knowing that it is going to be an empty promise, because I know my old self is going to come back. I’ll have to deal with the aftermath of the called off wedding, with Marcy and Joe. I’ll have to deal with my parents asking what I’m going to do. I’ll go back to three jobs, as anyone with a theater degree does. 

As I get into the cab after one last kiss I wave goodbye to my Adonis. There is a slight pang in my heart, knowing that this will only ever be a memory. That no one would ever believe I let go of myself for a moment. At least I’ll have it to look back on. Even if I only ever see him in my dreams, I’ll know that for one night, I allowed myself freedom of love.

August 05, 2024 18:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Arpad Nagy
01:36 Aug 25, 2024

Good setting and character development, but I was hoping for some escalation in the plot or a crisis. I thought the second half, meeting Kostas wasn't as engaging with switch from past to present tense.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rudy Greene
22:42 Aug 14, 2024

Good intriguing beginning, I was engaged immediately. Your story telling is good and you evoke emotions well with your descriptions. The first person narrative is effective. I thought the narrative was more effective when you used past tense. The last part was not as crisp as the first. Overall, good job, enjoyable reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.