THE BERDACHE

Submitted into Contest #204 in response to: Set your story in a desert town.... view prompt

29 comments

Romance Transgender Western

“Bartender, whiskey, and a jug of water, if you don’t mind.”

Wynonna Belle’s lips were parched after a long day trundling through sage brush and dusty trail on her way south toward Fort Apache, Arizona. Her arrival in the sleepy little town of Holbrook bade well for resting her horses and her achy bones. Tired and hungry, Wynonna had initially sought out the hotel saloon hoping for a hot meal, a drink of rye, and a comfy bed for the night. However, she quickly doubted her decision of a drink first when the ornery herd of cattlemen and scallywags vociferously debating all kinds of man issues, suddenly went quiet in her presence.

“You travelin’ alone, Miss?”

The bartender’s direct question irked Wynonna to the point of irritation. It was all too common for a woman travelling alone to be labelled one of ill repute, and the bartender’s loud question interested some of the all-male clientele, now posturing to listen with ears pricked up for her answer.

“I’m meeting a gentleman friend here,” she replied. “He’s a cavalry officer coming up from Fort Apache. Not that’s any of yer business.”

After the closing of her library back in Canyon Diablo, Wynonna had the unenviable task of finding new homes for her large collection of homeless books. As part of her plan to disperse them to various locations around the Southwest, she telegraphed her friend, Captain ‘Irish’ James Calhoun at Fort Apache, letting him know of a surplus stock of books that might help alleviate certain boredoms associated with cavalry outpost living. When Captain Calhoun gratefully replied, he told Wynonna that he would rendezvous with her at the small town of Holbrook and provide a troop escort for the remaining leg of her journey to Fort Apache.

“I meant no disrespect, Miss,” the bartender apologised. “We don’t often see a pretty face drinkin’ with the men.”

“Get this straight,” Wynonna hissed. “I ain’t drinking with nobody. I’m minding my own business, and I suggest y’all mind yours.”

“Again, I meant no frump. It’s just that you’re…”

“Packin’ two six-shooters, ready to despatch anyone that tries any funny business,” Wynonna warned.

“Sure thing, Miss. Are you needin’ a room fer the night?”

“I am,” Wynonna curtly replied. “And some hot food… please.”

Her timely manners on recall, helped allay Wynonna’s trail-travelling anxiety. It had been a long journey hauling a wagonload of library books across rugged terrain, so she expected that the lonesome dusty trail would challenge her librarian’s resolve to remain calm and to maintain a certain sense of social decorum. However, after a full day of driving a loaded wagon over bone-shaking terrain, swatting pesky horse flies - whose painful bites turned into tormenting itches, and a scorching sun testing her will to live, even a saintly nun would have been pushed to the jagged edge of irritability. Added to that, Wynonna’s worst enemy was herself – when alone. So, the passage of self-accompanied time, had sardonically eroded the civilised manner her parents had so meticulously engrained into her.

A lady must be patient, understanding, and above all, in charge,” her mother would repeatedly tell her.

However, although Wynonna held those values in the highest regard, when pushed to vexation; an understandable calming period was usually required before reacquainting herself with society and all its shortcomings. But on this occasion, she had forgotten the necessity of good manners, currently forsaken for the uncontrollable desire of hot food, a soft pillow, and some wet whiskey.

“Hay-ell!” Shrieked a dusty cowboy upon seeing Wynonna. “Y’all see this vision of beauty in here?”

He asked like he had just seen an apparition of the Virgin Mary. “Ain’t she mighty purdy,” he stated. “I see you come ridin’ in on that big black wagon. Wot-joo transportin in there?”

“My library,” Wynonna replied before downing another shot of rotgut.

“I reckin’ yer the prettiest thing I ever did see. Will you marry me?”

Aware that her arrival was greeted with quieted interest, she cringed distastefully at the multiple sets of ogling eyes looking her up and down, like she was a prize piece of beef. Deciding that this was the best opportunity to relay her intentions, Wynonna addressed the inquisitive nosey parker.

“Where’s that accent from, Cowboy?”

“I’s from Bolivar, Tennessee ‘an I reckin’ I lurv you.”

Observing several leering sneers emanating from some of the saloon’s patrons, Wynonna’s returning poise took a step backwards on its path of recall.

“Well, Tennessee,” she prepped him for his unsuspecting put-down. “I ain’t available. But I’m sure you have at least half-a-dozen first cousins back in bumfuck Bolivar - some probably with a few teeth still in their heads - that would be more than happy to take you up on that tempting matrimonial offer.”

In an outburst of spontaneous laughter, the whole saloon agreed with Wynonna’s remark, sending the dusty cowboy shucks-ing away, tail affixed tightly between his legs.

“Where can I get something to eat?” Wynonna enquired with the bartender.

“We got a dining room,” he replied – to Wynonna’s surprise. “It’s through that door off to my right. You can check into the hotel through there as well.”

Leaving a couple of coins on the bar, Wynonna headed for the dining room, leaving the rest of the bar patrons to return noisily back to life.

Entering the lobby of the hotel, Wynonna spotted an adjoining room with several male diners seated and eating. Quickly checking in, she instructed the clerk to fetch her bag from her wagon, then take it to her room. Graciously Accepting the clerk’s offer of unhitching her horse and dropping it at the livery stable, Wynonna pressed a silver dollar into his hand, then delicately dusted herself down before entering the dining room.

A young girl of no more than sixteen years of age, motioned for Wynonna to take a seat at a vacant table situated at the opposite end of the room - next to a window that looked out onto the town’s only thoroughfare.

“You got any steak and eggs?”

“Yes, mam,” replied the young girl. “This is cattle country. Steak, we have in abundance.”

“And coffee, strong, please.”

“One Six-Shooter Coffee comin’ right up, Mam.”

“It’s Miss.”

“Yes, Miss.”

“Wynonna.”

“Yes, Miss Wynonna. I’m, Ruby.”

“I couldn’t help notice,” Wynonna noted in attempted conversation. “This is a remarkably large building for a small town.”

“It is, Miss Wynonna. First in town. I hear there were big plans for Holbrook when it was built.”

“So, what happened?”

“Well, if you believe my daddy – the mayor. The local Injuns got madder than an old wet hen - what with more white folks tramplin’ on their lands. So, they’d often rampage through town stealin’ and killin’ whatever and whoever they wanted.”

“It looks to me that things have quietened down a bit.”

“Thanks to the cavalry at Fort Apache,” stated Ruby. “But that’s all over and done with now. In fact, we see a lot of local Injuns comin’ into town trading this and that. There was this one time, when an old Injun tried to trade a stolen saddle back to the man he stole it from. Ain’t that a screamer? After the sheriff was called, the Apache agreed to take a Stetson hat for the saddle. I sure feel sorry for them - being forced onto reservations ‘an all that. I reckin’ white folk would have had a lot to answer for, if the cavalry hadn’t been sent to protect us. You know, there’s a very handsome captain at that there Fort Apache. I seen him ride through here once or twice. He’s just rightly dreamy all over. A right Belvidere of a man.”

“That, he is, Ruby. That, he most certainly is.”

“You seen him too, Miss Wynonna?”

“Captain Calhoun is a dear friend.”

“Oh.”

Ruby’s disappointment at hearing the target of her schoolgirl crush had a female friend, was visibly apparent, and did not escape Wynonna’s attention.

“I’m sure he’ll make someone a fine husband someday,” Wynonna added – trying to prop up Ruby’s fallen crest.

“So, why don’t you marry him, then?” Ruby boldly asked.

“My dear child. I ain’t the marrying kind. There’s still a big old world out there to discover before I ever think of settling down.”

“Well, you better watch out, Miss Wynonna,” Ruby’s enthusiastic tone happily warned. “Coz next time you come through here, he just might be taken. I’m almost a grown woman and my daddy says when the time comes, I can start a-courtin’. An, I plan allot upon startin’ at Fort Apache, don’t you mind.”

“Your ambition is quite refreshing, Ruby, but don’t you have any interest in anyone here in town?”

“Hell, no, Miss Wynonna. It’s bad enough they all look upon me as being an Angelica – you know, an unmarried woman. But suddenly, someone’s got a bee in his bonnet about some festival in Irishland across the sea and so has started a copycat one here.”

Thinking out loud, Wynonna clarified Ruby’s statement with, “You mean the matchmaking festival in Lisdoonvarna, Ireland?”

“How’d you know?”

“I read about it recently. Seems, it started several years ago where farmers too busy to court, started a wife-finding festival.”

“Well, I’ll choose who I want and when I want. No man’s gonna decide who I hitch up with. Unless it’s that handsome Captain Calhoun.”

“I would imagine he may have a few other suitors, don’t you?” Wynonna interjected.

“Look around you, Miss Wynonna,” Ruby instructed. “You see a lot of women folk in here?”

“Come to mention it,” Wynonna whispered. “We do seem to be the only two females in this building.”

“Uh huh,” Ruby confirmed. “You get proposed to, yet?”

“As a matter of fact, in the saloon.”

“You didn’t see the Wanted posters?” Asked Ruby pointing to a poster mounted on the wall right behind Wynonna’s head.

Wanted, Spread for a wife,” Wynonna read out loud.

“Uh huh,” Ruby once again confirmed. “You know how many proposals I had today already? Twenty-five and countin’. Only a man could make a call for romance resemble a Dead or Alive poster.”

“That’s why I pack my six-shooters,” Wynonna explained. “There’s not many a contemptible hombre willing to tackle a girl with big pistols.”

“Why, Miss Wynonna,” Ruby blushed. “You are playin’ to the gallery with that one. But what’s this world comin’ to when a girl can’t get through her day without being accosted and objectified by some lonely old Banco, Bunko Steerer, Roper, or Barber’s Clerk that hates his own company and is tired of batch-ing himself?”

Batching?” Wynonna queried.

“It’s when a man keeps house without a woman’s help. You know, as a Batchelor.”

“Oh, of course,” Wynonna chuckled.

“I’ll go get your coffee.”

Giggling to herself, Ruby hurried back to the kitchen, leaving Wynonna studying the poster.

“Are you part of this nonsense?” A male voice interrogated from an adjacent table.

Turning to face him, Wynonna addressed his question with the bluntest of replies.

“Do I look like a bitch in heat, Mister?”

Taken aback, the smartly dressed man recoiled slightly, then clarified his question.

“Begging your pardon, Miss. You must forgive my intrusive manner. Walter Higgins – the Lord’s disciple at your service. I too deplore the lascivious undertakings this festival has brought to the town. There are decent people living here that are put under threat by these activities. The Lord did not make Eve to be auctioned off to the highest bidder offering a piece of land as a prize. He created her as a companion to Adam, and not as a commodity for sale. This festival makes it unsafe for any woman to walk the streets unaccompanied.”

“Yeah, well judging by the lack of females I ain’t seen so far, there’s not much for folks to worry about,” Wynonna pointed out.

Before the preacher could say anything further, a man ran into the dining room shouting, “There’s an Injun in the saloon dressed as a woman,” before rushing back out. All, except Wynonna, excitedly followed the thrilled messenger through to the saloon.

Exiting the kitchen, a breathless Ruby ran to Wynonna with further news.

“Did you hear, Miss Wynonna? I don’t know what to make of it. A grown Injun dressed as a female, walking like a female, and talking in a feminine way, in Apache. He’s catchin’ all sorts of hell from the cowboys. I think they wanna string him up.”

Hungry and tired as she was, Wynonna had a feeling about the cross-dressing native, so resigned herself to eating later than desired and stood up to follow Ruby into the saloon. As she entered the bar area, a cacophony of voices divided into scornful and derisive catcalls, hollered in unison at the feminine-looking native man. Some bullies took it upon themselves to jostle him and push him around while imitating native war cries and blowing kisses at him. However, no matter the level of hostility displayed toward him, he remained calm, like he was waiting for the whole place to quieten down. There seemed to be no hope in hell of that happening, but when several men started tugging at his leather-beaded purse and clawing at his long dress and leggings, Wynonna felt the need to intervene. One discharge of a Colt pistol into the rafters silenced the whole room.

“Now, I want all you Chuckleheads here to listen to what I have to say, cause I’m only saying it once,” Wynonna declared. “I don’t care for those that show a lack of hospitality to newcomers, and I certainly despise bullying of any kind whatsoever.”

“Amen, sister,” interrupted the preacher. “But it is ungodly for any man - red, white, brown, or other, to act like a woman. It is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.”

The preacher’s words caused more verbal abuse to spread across the room, but Wynonna quietened them again.

Luke chapter twenty-three, verse thirty-four,” Wynonna shouted. “And Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

“Why are you quoting the good book to me, sister?” The preacher asked.

“First of all,” Wynonna stated. “I ain’t your sister, and secondly, I’m just letting y’all know what ignorant fucks you all are.”

Unexpectedly, the crowd in the room took offence at Wynonna’s comment and several angry insults were thrown in her direction, until, once again; she chose to fire another bullet into the ceiling rafters, resulting in everyone giving her their undivided attention.

“Does anyone have any idea why this Apache is dressed like a woman?”

“Yeah,” shouted a voice from the back of the room. “He’s after a piece of old Blind Booney’s land. But I reckin’ Booney will quickly figure out what’s pokin’ him in the back at night.”

The room exploded into raptures of laughter.

“This man, gentlemen,” Wynonna shouted. “Is what the natives call a Berdache – an Indian man who dresses and lives entirely as a woman. If any of you ever chose reading over drinking once-in-a-while, you would have come across an article by a good friend of mine who writes for the London Illustrated News. He once wrote about the time spent living with an Indian tribe not too far from here. In this article, he discussed in detail the life of a Berdache, and discovered that Indians living as women is a common practice among tribes. Some - Preacher Man - are given religious powers. Some are leaders of ceremonial dances, visionaries, predictors of the future. And some – as I suspect in this man – are responsible for matchmaking. So, I would hazard a guess that his arrival today during your buy-a-wife festivities is to help you find a solution to y’all’s conundrum.”

“Say what?” The reappeared Tennessean asked.”

“I believe, Tennessee, that this man is here to solve your female shortage by offering some of his tribe’s women as wives to those accepting. The wife receives a spread of land, the population grows, trade flourishes, and maybe this town won’t end up like Canyon Diablo.” Continuing in jest, Wynonna cheerfully explained, “So, Tennessee, you can go telegraph your cousins to tell them the wedding’s off.”

Murmurs of “I hear Injun women are animals in bed” and “Is it legal?” spread around the room. The crowd seemed to favour the idea, until the preacher with bible in hand and an intent to dampen spirits, mounted a chair to recite the gospel.

You shall not intermarry with them giving your daughters to their sons or taking their daughters for your sons,” he yelled above the chatter. “For they would turn away your sons from following me, to serve other gods. Then the anger of the Lord would be kindled against you, and he would destroy you quickly. Deuteronomy Chapter Seven, verse three to four.”

“Reverend,” Wynonna interrupted. “When it comes to preventing female companionship for these love starved Lushingtons, your Deuteronomy can stick his preachings up his ass. Now, who here speaks any Apache?”

“That’ll be me,” the Tennessean volunteered.

“Why, I declare, Tennessee. You certainly are a dark horse, indeed.”

“Shucks, Miss. I’m a sucker for sweet talk. You sure you don’t wanna marry me?”

Striking up a conversation with the Apache matchmaker, confirmed Wynonna’s theory, as Tennessee translated the Berdache’s terms for the partnering of native women with palefaces. The matchmaker explained that the local tribes were suffering from a shortage of men, so their combined situation presented a prosperous opportunity for all.

As the saloon returned to life with talk of “Injun wives,” a distracting movement at the saloon door caught Wynonna’s attention, causing her to flash a warm smile toward the figure entering. The smart cavalry uniform, dark hair, and piercing blue eyes were unmistakable. Captain ‘Irish’ James Calhoun had arrived a day early, causing a rush of blush to Wynonna’s cheeks at the possibility of a handsome companion joining her for dinner. Even though she was dog tired, the night – she thought – was still young…

 

June 28, 2023 07:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Laurel Hanson
18:44 Jun 28, 2023

A good read. A librarian is always my hero, but I love this whole concept overall and the excellent characterizations. I really like this phrase (an the idea): "So, the passage of self-accompanied time, had sardonically eroded the civilised manner her parents had so often meticulously engrained into her." I am just wondering if it wouldn't be clearer as: The passage of self-accompanied time had sardonically eroded the civilised manner her parents had so meticulously engrained into her. Does it matter? Not at all. It's just a cool line ...

Reply

Chris Campbell
01:08 Jun 29, 2023

Thank you, Laurel. Great comments. I've noted your suggested correction and made it so. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. So glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:56 Jun 28, 2023

I do like Wynonna. With this week's prompts you could write a whole serious series on her.

Reply

Chris Campbell
00:59 Jun 29, 2023

Thanks, Mary. I totally agree. Wynonna will return soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
02:44 Jul 21, 2023

Hi Chris, Oh gosh, I saw these prompts and thought of you immediately! I’m so delighted that you decided to grace us with a story for this week, and I absolutely love revisiting these characters that exchange between Ruby and Wyonna was absolutely wonderfully written. I identified with it, not only as a single woman with hopes and dreams of love, but has a married woman, who has found work to accomplish those dreams. I also appreciate it where you decided to take the tale, and I thought that it was wonderfully well written with reverence and...

Reply

Chris Campbell
15:18 Jul 21, 2023

Thanks, Amanda. I like that Wynonna will never be a victim and that she stands up for what is right. Plus, has the skills to defend her actions. This is the sixth installment of Wynonna and I promise there will be more to come. Such wonderful feedback. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
20:47 Jul 19, 2023

Wow — Wynonna is a great character, and her blunt but witty dressing down of the rabble and the Rev was priceless. And on top, a great examination of social mores and biblical distortion and rationalization. Awesome!

Reply

Chris Campbell
08:46 Jul 20, 2023

Thanks, Martin. She is my favourite. Thanks for the great feedback. In case you didn't know. This is the sixth episode of Wynonna. The other five can be found in the following links (in chronological order): 1. Afterclap: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/o5sqn0/ 2. Sanctuary on Hell Street: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/bwzs6w/ 3. The Last Scupper: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/b606xn/ 4. Maladie: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/6pjbcb/ 5. A Town For The Dying https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/fk1gc6/

Reply

Martin Ross
14:19 Jul 20, 2023

Wow — I’ll be checking those out! Thanks!

Reply

Chris Campbell
15:47 Jul 20, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marvin Furman
11:50 Jul 06, 2023

Hi Chris: Thank you for writing such a fascinating tale. I'd love to read more about her future ramblings.

Reply

Chris Campbell
12:11 Jul 06, 2023

Thanks, Marvin. Wynonna is my favourite character to write about. This is the sixth episode of Wynonna. The other five can be found in the following links (in chronological order): 1. Afterclap: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/o5sqn0/ 2. Sanctuary on Hell Street: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/bwzs6w/ 3. The Last Scupper: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/b606xn/ 4. Maladie: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/6pjbcb/ 5. A Town For The Dying https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/fk1gc6/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
13:19 Jul 05, 2023

Really enjoyed this Chris. Great pacing, just when I thought it was going to kick with Tennessee she refuses with humour and earns her place amongst the roughens. Great word choice too, really set the western vibe. Educational and with somewhat of modern message too. And I am delighted that this is Wynonnas' sixth tale, now I've some catching up to do!

Reply

Chris Campbell
14:50 Jul 05, 2023

Kevin, Thanks for the great feedback. I like to input a little knowledge with my stories. I think it adds authenticity. Wynonna is my favourite character to portray, so she'll be riding again, soon. So glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:16 Jul 04, 2023

Wynonna returns! As expected, this is a rip roarin' tale, completely and irrevocably Wynonna. I'm glad she still has the acid tongue, even throwing out the odd "fuck." I like her progression. It's so genuine and intriguing. Tennessee is a hoot! I love this character, and I'd love to know more about him. I can see him popping up from time to time in your tales, Chris. He's a keeper - just not for Wynonna! LOL Two scenes, one building, and yet you managed to write a terrific tale. Nicely done, my friend. Nicely done indeed. Cheers, mate!

Reply

Chris Campbell
14:30 Jul 04, 2023

Delbert, As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated and insightful. Wynonna has indeed progressed - a kind of assimilation into the Western way of life and vernacular. She manages to keep her level of confident control on high, but possibly she's regressing toward the wild side a bit. She will - no doubt - be moving on to tougher challenges and perhaps a side romance. However, she will always truly remain someone not to mess with. I'm glad that Tennessee turned out likeable. I "reckin" he was a scout for the cavalry at one time. I m...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Werner
15:41 Jul 02, 2023

Chris, I really liked this story! Well executed introduction of the Berdache! I'm also happy to see that Wynonna has other tales to explore! I'll be checking in with those as well! Excited to read more!

Reply

Chris Campbell
00:53 Jul 03, 2023

John, Thanks for your great feedback. This is the sixth episode of Wynonna. The other five can be found in the following links (in chronological order): 1. Afterclap: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/o5sqn0/ 2. Sanctuary on Hell Street: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/bwzs6w/ 3. The Last Scupper: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/b606xn/ 4. Maladie: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/6pjbcb/ 5. A Town For The Dying https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/fk1gc6/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
17:33 Jun 30, 2023

Ha! Well, of course a Wynonna story is a perfect fit for this prompt, and I see she's finally left Canyon Diablo behind. I like how this all ties together. You give us kind of a scattershot of unrelated events - Wynonna arrives, she's harassed, there's some festival, she's meeting someone, Ruby, the arrival of the native - and we wonder where it's all going. The resolution was a twist I didn't see coming, but it's neat as it turns frustration and hostility into a win-win for everyone. Well, except maybe the preacher :) "Unexpectedly, the c...

Reply

Chris Campbell
03:28 Jul 01, 2023

Thanks, Michal. I wanted to create an environment going about its business, before tying it all together with the arrival of the Apache Berdache (pronounced "Berdash"). Never judge a book by its cover, and Tennessee proved just that. A hick from the Midwest, turns out to be a United Nations interpreter. Indeed, Wynonna's time in Canyon Diablo has come to an end. The town is dying after the railroad bridge construction completed, and most have moved on following the work. Nothing today, is left of the town. It's just a patch of dirt and a...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:19 Jun 30, 2023

An amazingly detailed scene and amazing work writing so much dialogue in the western vernacular. In the story, I kept thinking that Wynonna was going to reveal herself as transgender, but then it shifted to something a lot more true to the times it was set in. Reading about transgender indiviudals in native american culture reminded me a lot of how being transgender has always been such a common and accepted practice in Thailand as well. Intermarriage was definitely common in the early settler days. One branch of my family goes back about 6-...

Reply

Chris Campbell
08:09 Jun 30, 2023

Scott, Thanks for the great feedback. I had planned a different storyline, but when I discovered the Berdache fact, I knew that it needed to be written. It's such a fascinating topic for that period. Also, having a Western dialogue reference book has helped me a great deal in using the vernacular. So glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
01:27 Jun 29, 2023

Chris, I enjoyed the story. Wynonna is quite a character. A mouthful that says much, "However, unbeknownst to Wynonna, the small cowboy population had a reputation rivalling the lawlessness of Wynonna’s previous residency in Canyon Diablo, and she had walked right into the middle of an ornery herd of cattlemen and scallywags vociferously debating all kinds of man issues." about her environment and the characters. Not that’s any of yer business.” - Not that it's any of yer business. ears pricked for her answer. - ears perked? “Get his stra...

Reply

Chris Campbell
02:01 Jun 29, 2023

Thanks, Lily. Your comments are always greatly appreciated. I've added "up" to pricked. I think the cowboys would imitate their own horses, who "Prick up" their ears when suddenly becoming alert. The use of bad grammar by Wynonna is intentional. Gradually through her stories, she has transformed from her Eastern states upbringing and education to a woman of the prairies. A kind of Old West assimilation, like anyone emigrating to a new country that picks up the nuances of the local dialect in their speech patterns. In this case, she is so ...

Reply

Lily Finch
02:07 Jun 29, 2023

Okay, I just wondered about a librarian with poor grammar, but I get it now. Cool. thanks for the clarification. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
21:29 Jun 28, 2023

Wynonna's back!!! Much to my delight and I'm sure others as well. You've really created a priceless character here Chris and I have a feeling there is a lot more mileage to be had from the Wynonna stories. Some of my favorite lines: an understandable calming period was usually required before reacquainting herself with society and all its shortcomings. (for the philosophy) ..driving a loaded wagon over bone-shaking terrain, pesky horse flies with painful bites, and a scorching sun testing her will to live, anyone’s resolve would be pushe...

Reply

Chris Campbell
01:41 Jun 29, 2023

Wally, Thanks so much for your great feedback. Wynonna will most definitely be back, as she is my favourite character to write about. Your Village People joke is very funny. The thought did cross my mind. Like you, I am surprised at the cost of things back then. Depending on where you drank, whiskey was 25-50 cents a shot. Pretty pricey for the time. Seeing as Wynonna was drinking in a hotel/saloon, I opted for the higher hotel prices. Nothing's changed since then, has it. I'm sure that if the saloon was a gambling joint, drinks would be...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:56 Jun 28, 2023

This was very interesting. I enjoyed the link with your previous stories. Wynonna is the kind of character I enjoy reading about. Her sass and spit is so good. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Chris Campbell
13:08 Jun 28, 2023

Thanks, Michelle. Wynonna is definitely my favourite character to write about. I wouldn't want to get on her bad side.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.