0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Teens & Young Adult

He has a penchant for collecting rare items. But I never thought he'd be after me.


I wake up, catching my breath. The neon red digits show it is already 7:15 A.M, Friday, April 30, 2021. I am shaking my head, trying to force out sleepiness in my systems.


A myriad of books is cluttering up the corner of the room. But I do not pay attention to most of them. My eyes are only glued to that upended, ancient-looking book a few inches next to me.


I mentally calculated the days passed since I was gone. The night I was reading that book was after hell week—examinations week—Thursday, April 22, 2021.


Wait.


Wait.


Wait.


My squinting eyes widen at my realization.


That long?! Oh, crap, this couldn't be!


It has been more than one week past the due date of this book. I was not expecting that I'd be sucked in it and be trapped there for a whole week. I thought I was just away for an hour or two. I did not know that time dilation is not the book's cup of tea!


My heart skips its beat when I hear the book pages starting to flip by themselves. I dive and shut it with all the force I can muster. Panicking, I grab the vase on my desk and place the book under it. I hope it can serve as a paperweight while I prepare myself for school.


I rev up the engine and hit the road with the speedometer almost hitting the maximum speed limit. It has been one week past the due date for this book, and every minute the book stays within a one-meter radius from me, my agitation increases terribly. After the vase, now, it is my bag's time to be on paperweight duty as I place the book on the passenger seat.


I cannot bear being near that book any longer. Everything in it screams peril. The hairs at the back of my neck stand whenever I reminisce my frightening adventure of that book. Although, I can barely call it an adventure since my world-hopping to that place gave me quite a fright.


The only consolation prize of wandering there is the silver band around my finger. I did not really plan to steal this, I am just tempted. I know it is wrong to covet things I don't own but I am just mesmerized by this.


Gladly, I am just living alone with no family to call and check on me. I just need to formulate a convincing lie to tell my professors about my absences. But the very first thing that needs to be addressed is to return this book to the library—to the librarian, to be specific. She lends me this book that she owns personally. This is not exhibited in the library, not registered in the school systems, and certainly not the school's property.


I am greeted with bustling hallways. I am very much aware of the busy to-and-fro of the students as I make my turn to the farthest area in the west wing. Gripping the book, I maintain a brisk pace, avoiding any collision with anyone. A pointless banter with a person you accidentally bump into is the last thing I need this morning.


I reach the library. The letters in the signage are engraved in a lopsided slate, displayed over double doors.


Upon entering, my eyes seek for the busty librarian who is dusting an array of medical, and astrological books stocked in one of the cabinets in the Science Nook.


I am trembling as I keep a firm hold of the book. Beads of sweat start to form in my forehead.


"Ms. Gertrude," I call out softly.


She stands erect after hearing the disturbance. She spins a good 180 degrees and stomps towards me, with eyes filled with disdain and lips stretched into a frown.


"Quite a surprise to see you still alive, Alicia. How was your trip down the rabbit hole—or should I say, into the book of Amberland?" She holds the frame of her spectacles, focusing on me.


"A-ahm, I barely escaped. I had pursuers on my trail before I jumped to the vortex," I stammer, remembering the vicious snarls and chilling howls of the dire wolves behind me.


"I told you, didn't I? Don't fall asleep while reading that book. The deeper you are asleep, the longer you stay there. But it seems like you nodded off too well to be stuck in that book for more than a week." She scolds me as she folds her arms and knits her brows.


"I'm here to return this, Ms. Gertrude," I say as I pass to her the monstrous book that keeps on vibrating in my arms. The pressure leaves me as soon as it is out of my possession. Needless to say, I do not plan to borrow any of her books anytime soon.


I give her a small nod and murmurs, "Thank you."


Her guarded expression softens as she pats my shoulder with genuine concern. “Alicia, I'm glad you come back. Honestly, after three consecutive days of not hearing anything from you, I thought you're already a goner. The wicked character of the story will never let you go because you're an anomaly, and a criminal," she whispers, looking at the ring I stole from the sorcerer. For some unknown reason, she knows that this ring comes from that world. "If he captured you, you'd be added to his rare collection."


She's right.


If I am held captive by that man, there's no way I can make it out of that book ever. But then, here I am. Almost close to captivity but by sheer luck and with enough motivation to escape the jaws of the hideous beasts, I was able to jump through the vortex on time.


"I'm just happy I am back here," I utter with relief.


"Take care of that ring. It's one of a kind. You won't find it in any place here on earth." She then leaves me and attends to the piles of papers on her desk.


The day is exhausting. I go home, and without regard to my surroundings, I slump myself on my bed, not bothering to switch on the lights. I'm planning to skip dinner and sleep early tonight. I breathe deeply and close my eyes; when the lights magically turn on.


I squint at the blinding lights at first, adjusting my vision to the sudden brightness of the room. Then, my heartbeats rapidly escalate at the sight of the man in my room.


Oh, shit! How could this be? I've already returned the book!


I'm dead! I'm really dead!


The dark sorcerer poses there in the corner and hefts a wine glass in a toast. He smirks at me and drawls, "I believe you already know why I'm here, thief."


He has a penchant for collecting rare, prized possessions. His precious ring is in my fingers, and he sees me as a collectible, rare item. I believe I have escaped him. So I’ve never thought he'd still be after me.

May 01, 2021 01:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.