0 comments

Contemporary Fantasy Fiction


(SUCCUBUS: Is a supernatural entity in female form that appears in dreams to seduce men usually through sexual activity.)

The clubhouse for skiing was on top of a hill in the Himalayas. I’m the skiing expert and needing to be here, I sent Arnold and Bernard who were my lieutenants to town downhill to get supplies. I was alone in the club house. From the chair where I was seated I could see a long way and it was all full of snow. I had muted the TV as I didn’t like the program and I could see the pictures of hospitals with Covid patients being helped or treated. I thought it was disgusting. I decided to make a cup of tea for myself and set the water after switching on the gas stove. Suddenly power failed and lights went off. I switched off the gas. My flashlight batteries were weak and I thought of asking Arnold to buy them. I called him on my mobile but found I couldn’t get through. I checked the landline and saw it was also not functioning. Remembering batteries I knew I had only recently fitted a new battery to my laptop. I switched it on only to receive the message ‘no internet’. I didn’t know when power would come back. It was just 3 in the afternoon and I estimated my lieutenants could return at about 8 if the roads weren’t blocked by snow which I noticed was falling in heaps. If the roads were blocked they would only return the next day. I sat wondering what I could do to pass the time. To help me think I opened the fridge and brought out a bottle of beer. I poured myself only half a glass and wishing myself sat back.

 I thought I would think up an article to be published in the Snow Club’s magazine. They had been asking me to do it. I thought of starting my article describing my entry into the field. I would start this way: I was born in a town amid the Himalayan mountains and was fond of hill climbing. I had dreams of climbing Mount Everest some day. I would play in the snow and was sure footed as a mountain goat. Seeing me climbing the rocks and playing in the snow, a Swiss citizen used me in an expedition and said “You’ve the possibility to make a name in the snows. Come with me and I’ll train you on skiing. One of your entrepreneurs can then use you to start a ski club here. I’ll get someone to sponsor your trip.”

I lost no time and joined him in going to Switzerland. There I took to skiing like a duck to water. I was trained on slalom trails and could find my way even on difficult routes. One day as I was on my way on a difficult route I was startled to find somebody going off from between the poles. I knew it was a dangerous thing to do as the trail was close to an unfenced crevasse. I immediately swerved and went to the person who had strayed. I was able to restrain the person in time and with the help of 2 other skiers brought the person back to safety. Once the person lifted the helmet I saw it was female. She had been about to reach an unfenced crevasse from where she would have fallen to her death. That was how I made the contact with Sibilla. She expressed her profound thanks to me.

Sibilla told me she was a widow and her husband had left her enough money for her to live without having to work. We had now descended to an exit ramp where there was a cafe. As we had refreshments she asked me “You may not believe it! A succubus is guiding me. That was how you came to my help.”

I couldn’t follow what she was saying and said “I’ve learnt French since coming here. But I don’t know the bus you’re talking about.”

She laughed and said “I’m not referring to any bus. A succubus is a female spirit. It is guarding me. Some people call it witchcraft. I’ve a ring on my finger which was given to me by a lady who was said to be a sort of witch. Let me see if it will fit your finger.”

She pushed the ring on my finger and said “Fine. It fits you. You can have it. The lady who gave it to me gave me two identical rings saying I could use the other in case I lost this one. It isn’t of gold but some alloy and it looks nice.”

I thanked the lady and said “I’ll keep this in memory of having saved you from the crevasse.”

She said “It’ll surely bring you good luck.”

I had been wearing the ring since then. Now with snow still falling I had serious doubts either of power returning or of my lieutenants coming back this evening. I continued to think of an article for the ski club but my mind drifted to Sibilla. She was quite nice to look at. She had a splendid hour glass form and I was reminded about what one Sanskrit poet had said:'I wonder how her slender hips are able to sustain the weights above!' My mind shifted to the sensual beauty of the one I had rescued.

I rubbed the ring and she suddenly appeared before me. She smiled and said “I came since you rubbed the ring. I had been trying to contact you since the rescue through the succubus but you’ve been elusive. What you didn’t know was the doctor’s verdict: That I would soon die of the cancer which had spread. I tried to end my life but you saved me. Since then the doctors have reversed their diagnosis. I don’t have cancer.”

I gaped in astonishment. She said “I want to thank you for your help.” She kissed me and sat on my lap.

I was hesitant to make the next move. She said “You’re hesitant about handling me.”

I said “Madam, my wife won’t approve of me taking liberties with you.”

She laughed and said “She isn’t here and there is no one here to tell her. Be a man. I’ll help.”

She rapidly divested her clothes and said “Now you can see in the limited light that I’ve just one item of clothing left to be completely nude. You should take that off while I help you to come out of your attire. See that blanket there? I’ll get it. It will help as you might feel the cold. Then we could’ve a night cap and we hop into bed.”

I was doing her bidding. She said “The succubus is prodding me. Now remove the one item of clothing on me and hold me within the blanket as the cold seems to be suddenly hurting.”

I said “My two lieutenants might return any time now. We can’t be bare together.”

“Remember the succubus is prompting. You’ve to consent.”

I said “Seated on my lap, I can see you look charming with all your assets on display, However let’s not irritate my wife. She’ll be furious if you even stood near me let alone sitting on my lap almost nude.”

“Remind her that you had saved my life and this is my recompense.”

I said “From the loud noises I can hear my lieutenants have returned. I can hear the tailgate of the van opening. I’ve to clothe myself and rush to open the door. Dress yourself.”

“I won’t. I’m proud of my body.”

“So climb down and let me open the door.”

“Give me a kiss before I disembark. Let it be noisy.”

“Alright. Anything to go to the door. And where will you be?”

“Don’t worry.”

 I again looked to see if I was completely covered and was satisfied. Had I been in slumber due to the comforting warmth inside? I looked around: Sibilla and her clothing had disappeared! Obviously it wasn’t Sibilla with me. It was the succubus!

Only Arnold had come. Arnold said “Bernard will come later in Kurt’s van. I’ve brought all the supplies we need.”

 Looking around Arnold said “It looks as if you were trying to burn the place down. See how many pieces of wood have been burnt.”

“It was cold. I sat thinking of writing an article in the Ski journal but the thought seems to have been somehow spirited away.”

END


January 17, 2021 13:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.