Caught in the elevator powerless

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about a character who’s stuck in an elevator when the power goes out.... view prompt

0 comments

Funny

                 CAUGHT IN THE ELEVATOR

                                                                                 SIMONS LAW

QUOTE


“EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU SAY IT, THAT, THAT IS ALL YOU NEED OF ME. JO`BURG CITY, JOHANNESBURG. THERE IS NO FUN NOTHING OF IT WHEN YOU LEAVE WOMEN AND MEN WITH SUCH FROZEN EXPRESSIONS.”


Being Namibian born and never far out of his country. Neels winning the five million Namibian dollar jackpot decides to visit neighboring South Africa. All these years he never had the money to visit the country although dying to. He even gets into the transport business on hopes of getting a contract to travel to the country. He drags no feet in planning and organizing his trip. His first destination was Johannesburg the city of gold. Booking himself a ticket on the luxurious coach service Inter - Cape he travelled to South Africa. At his destination he booked into the Sandton Sun Intercontinental Hotel. A big mega million-dollar structure in the vicinity of the biggest shopping center in Africa. All around him was marble, gold plated rails and red carpets. Making him think that a lot of serious dollar gets spend here. He also ready to splash some serious dollar. His first intention is to enjoy his hotel room and surroundings while resting from the trip. He orders a large ice - cold brandy and coke from room service. Being shown by the hotel porter carrying his luggage and showing him to his room. Not knowing there is more sophisticated drinks available he opted for the drink he is used too.


It was a hot day in Jo`burg and it chases Neels into the cold shower to cool off. Emerging from his shower he lay down on the soft luxurious mattress of the double bed, his mind full of plans on where to visit and what to visit first. Such a lot to experience and visit could not bring him to a choice. While planning his excursions Neels doused off. He aroused in the evening fully rested and eager to start on his adventure. He chooses the mall as the first place he likes to visit. It is a walking distance from his hotel and six floors high. Being open till late at night will give him the time and also the assurance of safety. Aware of the gangs roaming Jo`burg it would be his safest bet to stay close to his hotel on his first night. This shopping center has a lure and attraction of its own luring all types of visitors. There are over three hundred shops and he aim to dive into it with abandon. Johannesburg is a city who never sleeps or rest and Neels intend to keep up with it. As the evening grew older, he intent to visit the big cinema the brochure`s talk about. Him having a love for watching films and television it being a favorite pass time of his. It was as though he was anxious to fit in all things remarkable in his one night. After dressing he rushes out of his room to wait on the elevators taking him down to the streets. His pad was on the tenth floor and with eager anticipation he enters the elevator for his ride to adventure. Inside he pushes the knobs instructing the elevator to take him down. While descending he stand back against the side closing his eye`s his mind on his spending spree. The elevator jerk to a halt, shaking him out of his reverie. Lights inside twinkling on and off shutting of promptly leaving him in the dark. It was pitch black inside letting him grope for his phone at least he could use its light he thought. Remembrance strike the phone was on charge in his room. OH Boy!! What now as a non-smoker he had no lighter on him. Panic sets in for the dark was like a cloak encircling, pressing down on him. With the elevator squeaking a loud squeak intensifying the panic. This made him squeal like a pig on slaughter, while he hammers on the sides the door ought to be. He shouts and scream with fear gripping a hold of him.


 “Damn!! All the money available to me can`t get me out of this. What if I die while not having a chance to enjoy my money?”


 These thoughts alone make him hammer anew intensifying his screaming. Claustrophobia induced by panic sets in making him feel squeezed in a vice. Not allowing him to breath. The more he screamed the more agitated he become. Never realizing to calm down and think. His mind filled with all the what if`s envisioning all bad scenario`s. In his state of agitation there was no reason or time to reason. Luckily the elevators are equipped with speakers and the front desk sends out assurances that they are working on the problem. Them being accustomed to this happening all over the city in regular intervals. Hearing the voice, he calms down tears bursting from his eye`s. He sank down to sit on his backside holding his head in his hands. The message assured him to remain calm the hotel has back up generators for emergencies like this. Only at him calming down did he remember reading in the newspapers about electricity load sharing all over the country. In a few minutes the problems will be resolved. He was embarrassed and ashamed of his behavior luckily, he was alone in the elevator. If he was with others, he would not be possible to look them in the eye. He remembers his fear of the dark from a young age. Thinking he has outgrown it already but this did show him that he still holds on to it. Soon the elevator starts, lights start to sparkle and it was a relieved Namibian stepping out on the ground floor. He makes a pact with himself never to ride in an elevator as long as he stays in Jo`burg. During the duration of his stay you could see him climbing the stairs to his place of abode.


“Oh! JO`BURG CITY INDUCING EXPRESSIONS WITH TEARS LIKE FURROWS OF SOIL EROSION, JO`BURG CITY, YOU ARE DRY LIKE DEATH, OH!!! JO`BURG JOHANNESBURG.”



                                               THE END     

September 09, 2020 13:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.