Souls Shrouded in Guilt (Part 2)

Submitted into Contest #161 in response to: Write a story where someone finds comfort in an unexpected event, place, or person.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fantasy Horror

This story contains sensitive content

TW: Language and Violent Implications

Mindy

In all my years, I never thought Hell could be so beautiful. My mouth dropped as I gazed upon a blood red sky filled with millions of glittering stars. A large black moon with a pulsing white rim of light glowed in the distance. The city was a giant black landscape, with bright orange and white lights peppering the windows of each building. Even if Hell’s air smelling of blood, smoke and sweet fruit took away from the fantasy, it still retained a type of savage beauty.

“Wow,” I gasped, “I never imagined Hell would look anything like…this.” A throaty laugh emanated from behind me, along with a gentle grip on my shoulders.

“Is that good or a bad thing?” The demon duke Vulcar said, “You were a little vague there.”

“Definitely a good thing,’ I said with a laugh, “It’s so gorgeous. And colder than I imagined.”

“Yes darling. For everyone, demon or damned soul, life in Hell can be quite lovely. Usually the souls who are sent here are still good people that didn’t follow God’s plan to the letter. But for the true sinners that come down here, Hell is exactly as advertised.” I shivered a bit at the sinister tone mixed with Hell’s windy chill. Vulcar swung his black fur cape off his shoulders and put them around mine.

“Oh no, you have to do all of that.” I said.

“Nonsense, you’re my guest. I won’t have you shivering on my watch. If I were a perfect host, you wouldn’t be in this condition at all.” Vulcar’s beady black eyes roved over my injuries before looking back at the red sky. My hands and back still stung, even after they were cleaned and bandaged. Just the memory of my blood spilling out the night I was sacrificed made me shudder. Vulcar looked down at me.

“Is everything alright? You’re not still hurt are you?”

“I was just thinking… Why are you treating me like a guest? I was sacrificed to you, shouldn’t you be, like, eating me?” Vulcar’s face fell. He tried to laugh off the uncomfortable moment, but worry still swirled in his eyes.

“I was hoping you wouldn’t ask that. At least not so soon.” he said. He extended his arm out to me, “I feel this would be better to show you my answer. Would you mind flying with me?” I nodded and he swung me into his arms. He unfurled massive black and purple wings and flew into the air. He swooped between chandeliers and flew me close to his intricately painted ceilings. A smile spread on my face as I ran my fingers over the centuries old artwork. Eventually we landed in front of a grand set of double doors.

  “Now you are right, I usually eat souls if they’re sent to me. But with these last few girls, the situation has changed.”

“There are more girls here?” I asked.

“Yes, in this very room in fact.” Vulcar set a hand on the doorknob, “I warn you, this may be… shocking.” He swung open the door and stepped back to let me see.

Saying that the sight in front of me was horrifying was an understatement. I had already known I was going to hear and see terrible things while I was here. I was now residing in Hell after all. But nothing, absolutely nothing could’ve prepared me for this. My stomach turned, and I quickly put my hand over my mouth. “What is this? What happened to them?” I choked out. Vulcar’s hands gently grasped my shoulders. Despite his blackened fingers and the razor sharp talons on the ends of his hands, the grip was comforting.

“That, my darling,” Vulcar said softly, “Is what happened to the others before you. The others that were… “given” to me by your captors.” In front of me was a bedroom, just as fancy as mine, with plush red and black furniture, a gorgeous diamond chandelier, a fire crackling merrily in the fireplace, and a massive bed with red and gold sheets. But it was the things inside the bedroom that made me tremble in fear and disgust. 

There were six women sleeping on the massive bed. But their skin was black, rotted and flaky, their heads were missing massive chunks of hair, their clothes were stained with patches of old blood, and their hands and feet appeared to be wrapped in chains. And the worst part was the smell. The horrible, sour and slightly sweet smell of rot and death clung to the air in the room. It was so strong, it seemed to seep into my skin.

“Whenever Camilla and her family sacrificed girls to me, many weren’t meant to journey to Hell,” Vulcar said darkly. He gently pulled me from the room and closed the door. “Now granted, some of those girls were terrible and deserved to have their souls eaten. But if you’re sent to Hell when you’re destined for Heaven… Your soul begins to deteriorate.” 

I couldn’t take it anymore. I pushed Vulcar away and fell to my knees, vomiting all over the shiny black tiles. As I heaved and gripped the wall, I could feel Vulcar pulling back my hair. 

“Sorry… I’m sorry about all of this…” I said weakly.

“Don’t worry about it, my servants will clean it up.” Vulcar said.

“You have servants?” In response, Vulcar tapped the nearby wall and a black tentacle of darkness appeared from the black pillar. In its grasp was a jeweled chalice of water, which Vulcar handed to me. Vulcar laughed at my mystified expression as the tentacle disappeared into the wall. I downed the glass of water and coughed weakly. “Vulcar, is that going to happen to me? Am I going to turn into… into that?” 

I imagined my usually vivid green eyes lightening to a strange milky white, my blonde hair falling out into massive chunks, and my freckled skin turning black and slowly flaking and peeling off my body. Vulcar fixed my borrowed nightdress around my shoulders, being careful not to shred the delicate material.

“I won’t deny it's a possibility.” Vulcar said slowly. “But I doubt that it will happen to you. Camilla sent you down here with enough time.”

“What do you mean?” I asked. Vulcar helped me up from the ground and we began walking down the hall.

“Do you remember the view outside? How the moon was completely black with a white rim around it?” I nodded, “Well, the moon was in what we call “Void State”. It’s that stage when the gate between the human and demon world is weakest. Meaning that more traveling and human sacrifices will be happening during this period.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that if you want, we could go up to the human world and get revenge on Camilla and her clan.” I whirled around to face him.

“We could… do that?”

“A few girls before you have tried. Some were unsuccessful, but a few succeeded.” My brow furrowed.

“If they were successful, then why is Camila still alive? I would’ve thought she’d be dead as of now.” My eyes widened as I realized what I said, “I don’t want to kill her or anything, but with everything that’s happened…”

“Simple. Camilla wasn’t a target for some. Take Jessica, Camilla’s fourth victim. She’d been assaulted by Camilla's brother Sergio, but managed to record the entire incident. Camilla and her family got rid of her when she threatened to expose him to the police and the Witches Conclave. Since we finished her revenge, Sergio’s been forced to relive the experience from her perspective every night.” Vulcar snorted with laughter, “His family is having him committed soon, because he keeps hallucinating Jessica’s image. It’s quite sad really. But since Jessica finished her business on Earth, she was allowed to ascend to Heaven. And I plan to do the same with you.”

“But what happened to the others? Why are they here, when they had the chance to go up?”

“Wrong place, wrong time,” Vulcar said gravely, “They’re usually careful about when they sacrifice people. I usually receive the girls during the moon’s Blood State, when the gates between the human world and demon world are the most heavily guarded. And of course, that’s the longest stage of the moon, so they couldn’t do anything to save themselves. I try to keep them comfortable, but I can’t stop them rotting everyday…” Vulcar looked away from me, but I already saw the black tears brimming in his eyes.

“Vulcar? What’s wrong?” My heart broke a little as I saw the black tears brimming in his eyes.

“You need to understand Mindy, I tried,” he choked out, “When I made the contract with Camilla’s family, I had no idea this was going to happen. I was so happy I made a contract with this powerful family, I didn’t even register the damage I was doing. When I learned more of the rules, and what I’d done… I was so ashamed. Humans believe that demons are just animals who lust after souls. And most of us are. But I would’ve never made these girls suffer if I knew more about my role…”

More tears fell, leaving long black streaks down his sunken cheeks. I leaned against his bony arm. I didn’t know what to say to comfort him, but I had to try.

“Power, opportunity and influence can cloud people’s heads. I didn’t live long, but I lived long enough to see what happened to those people. I promise I don’t blame you for being happy about getting more power.” Vulcar shook his head, furiously wiping away his tears.

“It’s not fair,” he said with a sniffle, “None of this was fair. Not to you, not to all those girls… I could’ve prevented all this if I wasn’t such a fool. But those wretched humans tricked me. Usually giving someone wealth and power would be such a human downfall. And yet here I am, falling for it as we speak.”

“What’s important is that you’re fixing your mistakes now. You could’ve shifted the blame, you could’ve left the girls out in Hell, but you didn’t.” I gave Vulcar what I hoped was an encouraging smile. “I’d be happy to have your help with my revenge. I don’t like revenge, but other girls will  be in danger if we leave Camilla up there. She needs to pay.” Vulcar grinned and wiped his face.

“Well said darling. And I’d be happy to help you get to Heaven where you belong.” We smiled as he handed me a beautiful purple hanky from an inside pocket.

“So… What should we do? What’s the plan?” I asked, my nose filling with the soothing smell of lavender from the hanky.

“First, you need to eat again. You threw up your first meal all over my floor.”

“Sorry.” I said.

“I’m messing with you, don’t worry. But you need to eat, you need to sleep again. I gave you a lot of shocking news tonight.” We reached my room and I quickly climbed into bed, sighing in relief at the softness again.

“Is there anything else we need to do?” I asked, pulling the covers to my chin. Vulcar sat down on the foot of my bed.

“We’re going to pay a visit to Kiko. I’ve got a plan, but we’ll need a witch to execute it. And who better than her right hand lackey?” I shivered and looked down at the embroidered blanket. “Don’t worry,” Vulcar said, stroking my hair, “I won’t let anything happen to you. Not one thread of magic shall ever harm you again. I promise.” 

I smiled and held onto his blackened hand, “Can I ask a favor?”

“Anything.”

“Could you keep me company until I fall asleep? I don’t know why, but I feel safe when you’re nearby.” Normally the smile he gave me would send people running from the room. But I found Vulcar’s giant, fanged grin practically angelic.

“It would be my honor. I’ll stay as long as you need.” And he did, gently stroking my hair as I drifted back to sleep.

Kiko

My phone’s chime jolted me awake. I raised my head from the unforgiving hardwood floor, temples ringing with pain. I felt around my nightstand, pushing past half-full wine bottles and trash until I finally grasped my phone. The phone’s light stung my eyes as I read the message.

“Camilla: Did you send out the invitations? I’ve invited the family to my coronation, and I haven’t heard back from most of them. Did you do as I asked?”I growled deep in my throat. As much as I wanted to tell her to shove her invites up her ass, I was already on thin ice. I glanced at the bright red scars on my hands and arms. Thanks to my disobedience the night of the sacrifice, Camilla decided to lash my hands twenty five times.

“These aren’t your hands!” Camilla had screamed, “These hands are mine. They do what I say, when I say, and they don’t have a fucking opinion about it!” All I could do was sob and take the punishment. She was right after all. I was there to do what she said. As long as she was above me, I was just a puppet that danced around and followed orders. And sometimes puppets need to be tweaked and readjusted if they don’t dance properly. I gently rubbed my hands as I responded to Camilla’s text.

“Kiko: Yes, I sent the invites. And I made sure your coronation and reception dress designs were sent to the dressmaker’s. They’ll be ready in a week.” Camilla’s reply came immediatly.

“Camilla: Thanks so much sweetheart, you’re the best! Isn’t life so much easier when you follow orders?” I stared down at the response. Three seconds passed. Then five. Then ten. Lightning magic crackled in my hands and I flung my phone across the room. Two wine bottles followed, smashing into the already hole-filled wall. Dust, glass and sweet wine settled on the remains of my bedroom. After I’d come home from the sacrifice, I went on a bender. Wine was chugged, lighting, rain and wind threw everything across the room, and I screamed myself hoarse for two days. Thankfully, Camila hadn't ordered me back to her side, so no one had to see what a wreck I was.

I pulled myself from my bed, turned on my bedside light, and staggered over to clean up the mess. But as I neared the pool of spilled wine, the liquid began to ripple strangely. I gasped and backed away as a pair of jet black eyes blinked through the liquid.

“A wine bender,” A smooth voice said tauntingly, “Very classy Kiko, very classy indeed.” The wine swirled away from the floor and into a familiar pattern on the ground. In an instant, Vulcar’s symbol shone wetly thanks to the massive puddle of wine on the ground. I fell to my knees as the wine began to glow. It was faint at first, but grew brighter and brighter, until it was practically blinding. My bedroom furniture rumbled and shook as the demon Vulcar rose from his personal summoning circle, his tall, raven-like form looming over me.

“What are you doing here?” I said shakily, “I didn’t invite you here, you need to leave!”

“Kiko, darling. You know that’s not going to work on me, stop embarrassing yourself.” Vulcar slowly, brushing invisible dust from his cloak.

“If you’re looking for Camilla, she isn’t here,” I squeaked, “I haven’t been out of the house, so I don’t know if she’s home or not. And if you’re here to hurt us, you know you can’t. You can’t harm anyone underneath Camilla’s rule.”

“Yes, unfortunately I remember the rules of the contract,” Vulcar said lazily, “But I didn’t come here to deliver the punishment you know you deserve. We just came here to talk to you.”

“Who the hell is ‘we’?” I asked. Vulcar grinned and nodded down at the summoning circle. Another figure rose from the circle, their blonde hair flowing over graceful shoulders, and their bright green eyes filled with sadness. Tears filled my eyes as Mindy stared down at me, her face impassive.

“That’s what I mean by we,” Vulcar said softly. They sat together in the circle, his black claws gently playing with Mindy’s hair, “Now that we're all here, shall we talk?”

To Be Continued…

September 02, 2022 06:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.