156 comments

Fiction Friendship Contemporary

โ€œWanna try again?โ€

โ€œWhy not? We have nothing to lose.โ€

Blythe and Katharine stepped out of Blythe's car to get to school on time. It was a chilly October morning, the leaves on the trees were bright flames like the tops on a candle. It was the 49th day of 7th grade as theyโ€™ve both been counting. Blythe and Katharine both have gotten bullied many times, together and separate. They made a resolution to try and overcome that, to stand up to the year-long bullies that had ruined their lives. They tried every day, so far they have only failed, but they kept going, just in case some miracle happened.ย 

โ€œWhere do you think they are?โ€ Katharine asked, shivering in the brisk October air.ย 

โ€œI donโ€™t know, maybe near their lockers. Theyโ€™re always there,โ€ responded Blythe.

โ€œYeah, or maybe in the bathroom.โ€

โ€œOr the cheer stadium.โ€

โ€œOr the staff room, stealing all the food and getting away with it!โ€ They both shouted, giggling and smiling at each other.

It wasnโ€™t funny at all, but they had just made it into a joke to make it easier to shrug it off.

No matter what Blythe and Katharine did, the bullies never could get caught. They were the teacherโ€™s pet, probably so the teacher would favour in their opinion, even if they had done something wrong.

The bullies had a quite interesting definition of wrong.ย 

Once, Blythe had witnessed a 2nd-grade girl named Sarah get bullied by Julia and her crew of girls. They were teasing her about her clothes and her hair, about how her little pigtails looked babyish. One of Juliaโ€™s crewmates almost punched Sarah, until a teacher came by and asked what they were doing.

You what their answer was?

โ€œWe were just giving her fashion advice,โ€ Julia had said.ย 

Her girls just nodded along, and the teacher walked right away.

Julia had sneered at Sarah and sashayed off, leaving Sarah with tears welling in her eyes.

Blythe had went over and asked, โ€œI saw what they did. Did you know that I get bullied too?โ€

โ€œYou? A big kid like you?โ€ little Sarah had asked, little streams of water flowing down her face, to her chin and dripped on the granite floor.

โ€œYeah, Julia is one of the meanest.โ€ Blythe had responded, brushing the tears from Sarahโ€™s face. โ€œYou should be proud, you survived them and didnโ€™t get hurt. The first time Julia bullied me, I got a big bruise on my forehead.โ€

โ€œIโ€™m sorry,โ€ Sarah said. โ€œIโ€™m gonna tell Mommy that I survived a bully, a monster, a giant big dragon with pink lipstick and a ponytail!โ€ย 

โ€œOkay, tell your Mommy that when you get home,โ€ Blythe had answered.

Sarah had nodded and skipped away, a newfound happiness woven into her step.

***

Another time, Katharine was in Grade 4 and just went to the bathroom during class when she got ambushed.

โ€œOh hi, Katharine. What a basic name, the alphabet is shaking.โ€

It was Elizabeth, and this time, she was alone.

Katharine didnโ€™t understand how Elizabeth called her name boring when Elizabeth was like the most commonly known name ever, but she stayed silent.

โ€œHaha, not responding huh?โ€ Well, if you donโ€™t say anything, things will have to get rough,โ€ Elizabeth threatened, balling up her fists with an evil grin on her face.

โ€œWhat should I say? Thereโ€™s nothing for me to say, you said my nameโ€™s boring and thatโ€™s fine by me,โ€ Katharine answered, swallowing the other words down her throat.

โ€œWhat should I say? Oh, why donโ€™t you change your name then, to something prettier?โ€

โ€œMom said my name was pretty. . . โ€œ Katharine murmured, looking down at her feet.

โ€œWell, guess what? Your mom lied to you, Katharine. Itโ€™s not pretty at all. Itโ€™s so ugly a caterpillar wouldโ€™ve won a name contest even if it was named Smurfy McCuddlepants,โ€ Elizabeth said, advancing onto Katharine by the second.

โ€œCaterpillars are cute though, they have little legs and-โ€

โ€œCute? Youโ€™re a nerd Katharine, and an ugly one at that.โ€

Smack

Elizabeth slapped Katharine across her cheek, long and hard. It gave off a strong sting, like when you cleaned an open wound with alcohol. Katharineโ€™s breath caught and she almost started to cry when Elizabeth walked out of the bathroom and slammed the door.

Click

***

This memory was recent and fresh in both Blythe and Katharineโ€™s minds.

It was about a month ago after the bell had rung and everyone was tired, exhausted and ready to get home.

โ€œKatharine, can you carry my backpack for me? My arms are getting sore from the dodgeball game earlier,โ€ Blythe had asked Katharine.

โ€œOkay.โ€

Blythe slipped off her grey backpack and stretched out her arms while Katharine bent down and hoisted it up onto her back.

โ€œBlythe, the one who gets tired after a dodgeball game. Isnโ€™t that so lame girls?โ€

Giggles swarmed the air around Blythe and Katharine, making them stiffen up.

Kylie stepped up, as the leader and said, โ€œWeak Blythe, how are your legs? Youโ€™ve been sitting so much today that Iโ€™m sure they must be sore.โ€ย 

Hyena laughter found its way into Blytheโ€™s ears, twisting her emotions.

โ€œBlythe is the weirdest name ever right! It has a โ€˜thโ€™ and โ€˜yโ€™ in the same word and none of your teachers know how to spell it right,โ€ Kylie exclaimed, clearly having a good time.

Blythe looked at Katharine with pleading eyes.

Katharine knew for a fact that none of Blytheโ€™s teachers could spell her name on the first try, but she ignored that and spoke up.

โ€œSheโ€™s tired because she has competitive swimming before school for 2 hours. Thatโ€™s why sheโ€™s tired,โ€ Katharine lied, trying to undo the mess that Kylie made.

โ€œOh. Well, swimming isnโ€™t that tiring, all you do is wave your arms around and bring your head up to breathe every few seconds. I bet you I could race against Blythe without any practice and win,โ€ Kylie said.

Katharine looked over to Blythe and saw her normally calm cheeks a bright red, with her body vibrating as if trying to shake Kylie away like she was a dream.

But she was not, and nightmares donโ€™t normally end with a happy ending.

โ€œStop it,โ€ Blythe forced out, the words rolling out her mouth like a trail of marbles.

โ€œStop what?โ€ Kylie asked obliviously.

โ€œLeave us alone now or else I will hurt you,โ€ Blythe responded, her hands curled into fists so tight that her knuckles were white.

โ€œItโ€™s not like youโ€™re gonna hurt me. Youโ€™re too weak.โ€

That was it for Blythe.

Her right fist shot out from her side and aimed for Kylieโ€™s chin, followed by a strangled cry from the leader of the gang.

Blythe had just punched Kylie, and it looked like she knocked out a tooth.

โ€œOh my gosh oh my gosh thereโ€™s blood, THEREโ€™S MY TOOTH someone help me! Nurse! Principal! ANYONE?!โ€ Kylie called out in desperation while her gang helped her up from the floor.

โ€œWhat seems to have happened here?โ€

A teacher appeared at the exactly wrong time, in the wrong place with the wrong people.

โ€œBlythe punched me!โ€ Kylie called out, pointing a shaky finger at Blythe.

โ€œNo, she didnโ€™t!โ€ Katharine started. โ€œWell, Kylie was-โ€

โ€œWhy did you do that Blythe?โ€ the teacher asked, her hands on her hips and an eyebrow raised.

โ€œKylie was bullying me! I said to stop, but she didnโ€™t so I punched her.โ€ Blythe said simply.

โ€œOh Blythe, Iโ€™m afraid Iโ€™ll have to send you to the principalโ€™s office.โ€

โ€œBUT-โ€

โ€œThere are no buts. Kylie, go to the nurseโ€™s office. Blythe and you there, beside her, follow me to the principalโ€™s office.โ€

And that was the end of that.

***

โ€œWhat about all the others? Standing up to one of them wonโ€™t stop all of them,โ€ Katharine stated, the fall wind whipping at her ears.

โ€œLetโ€™s try once first, one is better than none,โ€ Blythe responded and looked up to the front doors of the school.

They looked at each other and yanked open the door and walked inside, confident that today was the day that they would succeed.

***

Katharine followed Blythe to her locker near the bathroom, aka the bully hotspot.

โ€œHahaha look at this, Katharine is hiding behind Blythe cause sheโ€™s scared. Whatcha scared of Katharine?โ€

It was Julia.

Perfect timing.

โ€œIโ€™m not scared,โ€ Katharine said confidently, โ€œI was just gathering my fists in case Iโ€™ll have to use them.

Julia looked a little taken aback but bounced back quickly. โ€œHoney, itโ€™s fine if youโ€™re scared, youโ€™re just a little girl anyways.โ€

โ€œLittle girl? Youโ€™re only 2 years older than us!โ€ Blythe spat out, coating her words with hate.

โ€œ2 years can be the difference between babyhood and maturity,โ€ Julia scoffed.

โ€œFirst of all, could you explain that to us? Second of all, we should be older than you guys,ย  since you act as if youโ€™re five,โ€ Katharine said with a satisfactory grin.

โ€œHoney-โ€

Someone cleared their throat.

Click clack click clack

โ€œStudents, who started this brawl?โ€

A teacher.

โ€œJulia!โ€ Blythe shouted before anyone could interrupt her. โ€œJulia came out of the bathroom and said Katharine was a baby.โ€

The teacher gave Julia a look, not of sympathy, but of disgust.

โ€œCome with me Julia, the principal would like to speak with you.โ€

โ€œBut you didnโ€™t even ask my version of the story-โ€

โ€œFollow me please.โ€

The teacher strutted away and beckoned Julia to follow.

Julia hesitated but finally followed the teacher with her head hanging low.

โ€œKatharine,โ€ Blythe said. โ€œI think we just did it.โ€

โ€œI think we just got Julia in trouble.โ€

โ€œIs this a dream?โ€

โ€œOh, I hope not.โ€

Katharine jumped into Blytheโ€™s open arms and as they hugged each other, the whole world seemed to melt away.

Mission accomplished.

***

January 31, 2021 22:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

156 comments

Maya -
15:06 Feb 01, 2021

Hey! Hope you're having a nice day! :D โœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœชโœช We're playing Skribble again today at 3:30 EST, would you like me to send you the link? :)

Reply

hi maya! i go to in-person school so i won't be able to play on weekdays

Reply

Maya -
00:20 Feb 02, 2021

Okay! How was the first day back? :)

Reply

it was REALLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY good SO SO SOOOOOOOOOO much better than online only downside is masks, but other than that its super fun :DDDDDD

Reply

Maya -
00:22 Feb 02, 2021

That's so so great!!! :DDDDD

Reply

can i be part of the skribbls even if I don't play everyday?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
23:05 Jan 31, 2021

Yay! This was great, Amy! It fit the prompt perfectly and the ending was great. You did a great job of making the main characters really sweet and the bullies awful. Like Laila said, I like how the story ends with the title, that was creative. And, again, wow that was fast. XD Nice job! :DDD

Reply

thanksssss! :D yay :) im glad you could tell. XD yeah I don't know how I did it thanks again! :DDDDD

Reply

Maya -
23:12 Jan 31, 2021

Of course! I always love reading your stories! :DDDDD

Reply

Maya -
23:23 Jan 31, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Oh my goshhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! This was such a cool idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those bullies tho, gaghh they were driving me crazyyyyy!!!! This was amazing Amethyst + you're super speedyyy!!! lol sry for all the exclamation pointsXD

Reply

:) thanksssss ikkkkkk they are annoyinggggg thanks, this is my fastest story ever :D I wanted to write another story before my week started so here it is hahahahah its fine :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I love stories when the title starts with the same thing as how it ends. I think you wrote this story really creatively Amy! Great job! :)

Reply

yay me too, that why i chose it :) thanks! I'm really happy you like it! p.s. I may or may not have based Sarah off of myself

Reply

This is how I would describe you (as in personality) Bubbly, Sweet, Kind, Friendly, Optimistic, Hard worker, Active, Extrovert Amirite?

Reply

hahah you're spot on XD what type of active?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
19:11 Feb 12, 2021

If you want to play Skribble at 3:30 EST I'll put the link at the bottom of my bio. :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Maya -
04:36 Feb 11, 2021

Reedsy-cast out! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
17:16 Feb 09, 2021

A question for my Reedsy cast, you said you want to be in the Artist Guild so which type of art would you like to do? Like painting, sketching, sculpting, singing, playing an instrument, etc.

Reply

i would like to paint, because that's the main thing I do in real life and its fun hmm, let's say realistic oil painting I do NOT do that in real life XD

Reply

Maya -
22:45 Feb 09, 2021

Great!!! Thanks! :DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
17:54 Feb 08, 2021

We're playing Skribble again at 3:30 EST, and if you want to join the link will be at the bottom of my bio. :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
02:03 Feb 05, 2021

๐Ÿฅ—

Reply

Kate Reynolds
02:12 Feb 05, 2021

Ofc!! :DD I will try to read some of your stories as soon as I can!!!!!!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:32 Feb 05, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
22:32 Feb 04, 2021

The skribbls now have a doc for chatting (kinda like Aerin's doc) and if you want to be on it the link is in my bio! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Maya -
19:38 Feb 04, 2021

We're playing skribble again at 3:30 today, if you want to join the link will be at the bottom of my bio. :)

Reply

can we play on weekends? i miss u guys and I wanna playyyyy

Reply

Maya -
23:30 Feb 04, 2021

Okay sure we can do weekends! CHECK OUT MY BIO WE HAVE A CHATTING DOC NOW!!!! :))))

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:18 Feb 03, 2021

If you don't mind, could you check out this person's first story? https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/79/submissions/53256/

Reply

Maya -
21:49 Feb 03, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
05:21 Feb 03, 2021

I posted a new story! :) Also, I love your new pfp! XD

Reply

yayyy ill check it out after I'm back from school thanksssss

Reply

Maya -
21:49 Feb 03, 2021

Thank you!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:34 Feb 01, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?WiwlzjGzBwuU

Reply

Show 0 replies

hi! (again) i wrote a second story for this week cause I was bored (lol) i wrote this FAST. started at 12:30pm and posted at 3pm, so its not gonna be very good please critique if you have any feedback, and title suggestions if you don't like the current one :) hope you like it! ~ Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.