3 comments

Adventure Drama Inspirational

It was a breezy Saturday morning, and the sun was shining quite bright on the bustling streets of the neighborhood. 


Amongst the numerous stores floating around in the air, a quaint florist shop caught the attention of Harper and her friend, Elena. The beautiful pink and white arrangements, with sprinkles of daisies and sunflowers, were a sight to behold. Harper, who had a fascination for beautiful flowers, decided to step inside and explore the shop. And in no time, Elena followed suit, also admiring the beauty of the arrays of beautiful colors upon colors that graced the shop.


Harper's eyes sparkled with a childlike wonder as she wandered through the aisles of the flower shop, admiring the vibrant petals of each bloom. She couldn't help but feel a sense of awe as she gazed at the delicate petals arranged so artfully across the shelves.


The shop itself was a rare gem in the bustling city, with its tranquil atmosphere and soothing pastel blue walls. It was a haven of peace and tranquility amid the chaos of the city outside. The sunlight poured in from the large windows, casting a warm glow over the meticulously arranged arrangements of flowers, each one more beautiful than the last.


Harper felt a sense of joy and excitement bubbling up within her as she took in the breathtaking beauty.


Harper took a deep breath and let it out slowly, feeling the sweet scent of the blooms fill her lungs. The floral shop was a sanctuary of beauty and calmness, and she felt drawn to it every time she passed by it. Today, she had finally mustered the courage to step inside and lose herself in the colorful world of flowers.


The shop owner, a kind old lady with a twinkle in her eye, greeted Harper with a warm smile and offered to help her find what she was looking for. Harper blushed and confessed that she didn't have anything specific in mind, but that she simply wanted to experience the beauty and peace of the shop.


The old lady nodded knowingly and gestured toward the different bouquets and arrangements in the middle of a thought of who would be her true love.


She imagined what it would be like to have a partner who would buy her beautiful flowers and show love through every petal. 


A soft chuckle escaped her lips as she reminisced about her high school days when she used to attend proms with her high school crush who always brought her roses.


Suddenly, Elena snapped her fingers, and Harper's trance was broken. "What are you thinking about so deeply?" Elena asked, eyeing her friend inquisitively.


"Nothing, really," Harper replied, distractedly picking up a bouquet of purple blooms. "I just feel at peace being here in this beautiful flower shop."



Elena smiled warmly, taking in the beauty of the flowers themselves. With a shrug, Harper grabbed a bouquet and paid the pretty lady kissing goodbye. 


The late-morning sun beat down on them, and Harper felt alive and free. She had no cares or problems in the world. Everything was going just fine, and the future seemed bright.


They continued their walk, Harper reflected on the fact that their college journey would be coming to an end in no time, and she felt a sense of melancholy wash over her. She had loved her time here, but she was also ready for a new adventure. 


They walked past the towering buildings, talking about their life plans once school was over, and the possibilities that lay ahead.


As they neared Elena's house, the two girls stopped by a bench, and Harper took out her phone to snap a picture of the blooming cherry blossoms that lined the street.


Harper was about to take a picture, she saw something out of the ordinary: a man was rummaging through a garbage bin, picking out scraps and pieces of whatever he could salvage. Harper felt a pang of pity and hurt in her heart. It was a cruel sight to behold, and Harper knew they had to do something.


"Excuse me," she called out to the man, who was startled at the sudden voice. "Would you like us to buy you some lunch?" Harper's heart ached with empathy for the man who looked like he was a victim of life's circumstances.


The man looked up at her in surprise, and for a moment, Harper thought he would refuse their offer, but then he gave a small nod.

 

Almost immediately, Harper got her phone and quickly purchased some food for the man.


The man, whose name they later found out to be Marcus, was more than grateful for the food, and in no time, he was telling them his life story. 


As it turns out, Marcus lost his job as a welder a few months ago due to the pandemic, and since then, he had been having a hard time finding work that he was qualified for. Harper listened intently, taking in every word and empathizing with him deeply.


At the end of their conversation, they hugged him and bid him farewell. It was one of the most profound experiences of Harper's life; purchasing flowers had turned into a meeting with a homeless man who reminded Harper what life was all about: people and compassion.


She walked away, and Harper felt more connected to humanity than she had ever felt before. She realized that we are all connected, the one and the many and that as long as we keep an open mind, the possibilities of kindness and love are endless. 


At the end of the day, Harper's journey to buy flowers had turned into her journey toward a more significant purpose, a purpose that involved touching the lives of people.


As her day came to an end, and she crawled back into her bed later that night, 


Harper found a sense of peace in knowing that kindness could change the course of our day, and lives, too. 


It was a day of love, hope, and the wide-open possibility of making a deep difference in the world.


March 24, 2023 18:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Milicent Kaimuru
14:47 Apr 03, 2023

This was a beautiful story, thanks for sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jody S
00:57 Apr 03, 2023

I always enjoy stories that focus on how seemingly random events can take you to a profound place. This was a lovely read.

Reply

Deborah Cabral
02:05 Apr 03, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.