0 comments

Contemporary Happy

A young man entered her room. He had such pretty eyes and a bright white smile. He must have been a new nurse at the nursing home or one of those volunteers who came in every once in a while to talk to the residents. Either way, she didn’t mind having him in her room.

“Good afternoon,” Leda said to him sweetly. She hadn’t had that many visitors lately. It was nice to see a friendly face.

“Hello. How are you feeling today?” He sat down in the chair beside her bed.

“Good,” she admitted. “I had a bit of trouble sleeping last night, so I am a bit tired.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Did you want to take a nap?”

“No. There’s no time for naps. Not when I have a visitor.” Leda reached out and took the man’s hand. “Can you tell me your name?”

“Levi,” Levi said. 

“Levi,” Leda repeated. “That’s a nice name.”

“Thank you,” Levi said. “My mother once said my grandmother picked it out.”

“Your grandmother has nice taste.”

“She does. She’s the most amazing person I know.”

“How sweet. I’m sure she feels the same way about you. How could she not? You seem like a kind, sweet, and a very handsome young man.” Leda patted Levi’s hand.

“Thank you.” Levi blushed.

“It’s certainly a nice day outside.” Leda looked out the window. It was a sunny day. The sky was a brilliant hue of blue, birds chirped outside her window, and she saw grandchildren getting ready to spend time with their grandparents as the parents took them out for a day of fun.

“It is. After all that gloomy spring weather, it’s nice to see the sun. Everything’s better in sunlight.”

“That reminds me of my grandson’s wedding,” Leda said. “It was so beautiful. One of the most beautiful weddings I’ve ever been a part of.”

“Your grandson’s wedding?” The young man’s eyes widened. “I’d like to hear about that.”

“Well, my grandson and his lovely bride got married at this beachside resort.”

“Sounds like the perfect venue for a wedding,” Levi said. “Tell me more about your grandson’s big day.”

“I wore this sparkling, sequined number in a navy blue color,” Leda said. “I saw that dress and I knew I would be the belle of the ball! My grandson got the dress for me.”

“That was generous of him to do so,” Levi said. “He must love you a whole lot.”

“My grandson spoils me rotten,” Leda laughed. “I guess we’ve always been two of a kind. I raised him after his parents went through a nasty divorce. Poor child. But, he grew up to be a lovely man.”

“With you as his grandmother, what other option was there?” Leda chuckled.

“You give me too much credit! That boy was just born with a kind heart and a sweet personality to match. I was only there to gently guide him down the path we call life.”

“What was he like on the big day?”

“He was so nervous!” Leda laughed. “I went in to check in on him before the ceremony. You should have seen him! His tie was crooked, he was sweating up a storm, and his fly was down!”

“Good thing he had a good grandma like you,” Levi said. “You sounded like you were his guardian angel that day.”

“After I fixed up his tie and got him to zip up his pants, he was still nervous. He wasn’t second guessing his choice to marry, but he questioned the timing. Should they wait until after they have finished college? He also wasn’t sure how their marriage would turn out. He was afraid he and his bride would end up like his parents.”

“What did you tell him?” Levi asked.

“We had a good heart to heart,” Leda said. “I told him that he and his bride were not his parents. They would have to figure out this marriage for themselves. But, as long as they know that Love is the most important thing, they’ll never have to worry.”

“Sounds like good advice,” Levi said thoughtfully.

“It was. They’re still together today with three beautiful children. They’re the cutest lovebirds I’ve ever seen!” For the next couple of hours, Leda and Levi chatted about whatever it was that Leda wanted to chat about. 

“Unfortunately, it’s time for me to go.” Levi stood up from his chair.

“So soon?” Leda enjoyed having Levi around. She couldn’t explain it, but she knew that there was something about him that made her feel safe and loved. “I loved talking to you.”

“I do too,” Levi said. “How about I come back in a couple of days?”

“I’m already counting down the seconds.” Levi gave Leda a hug and then left, leaving Leda to finally take the nap she so desperately tried to put off.

“How’s your grandmother?” Gail, one of the nurses at the nursing home, asked Levi as he exited Leda’s room.

“She was cheery today,” Levi told her.

“That’s wonderful! Did she remember who you were?”

“No, it didn’t seem like it. But… but I know she still loves me.”

“She does. She may not remember you, but that feeling that she has for you will always be there you know.”

“She told me a funny story. One that I couldn’t believe she would know.”

“Really? What was the story?” Gail shifted her clipboard to her other hip.

“She told me about being at her grandson’s wedding.”

“How sweet!”

“The thing is, I’m her only grandson. She told me about the venue, how nervous I was, and that my wife and I are the cutest love birds she ever saw.”

“Your wedding? Levi, I didn’t even know you were engaged! Congratulations!”

“That’s the thing, Gail.” Levi looked at Gail and blushed. “I’m not married. I don’t even have a girlfriend.”

“You mean… your grandmother…” Gail couldn’t finish her sentence.

“I’m not sure what I mean. I’m not sure what my grandmother told me,” Levi said. “But it’s nice to think that she would be around when that day finally comes.”

“Either way, you know your grandmother loved being at your wedding,” Gail said. “All she ever wanted for you was for you to be happy.” Levi smiled.

“With my grandmother around, I will always be happy.”

October 09, 2020 15:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.