The Power Of Love

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

4 comments

Drama

Her blindness made her feel powerless and she loathed it. Powerless and helpless and it was awful, absolutely bloody dreadful. She knew her one inordinate fear had always been that of losing her sight, but it was an irrational unease as she had no reason to think it might happen.  Now, as Claire sat on the bus with her guide dog Benny, taking their first solo (well duo) trip to the coast, she knew she had to rely on him - but still found it difficult to put her complete trust in him, thus prolonging the indescribable feeling of vulnerability.   But today she knew she really had to try.

Up until now their walks had been to the local park so this was a new experience and, so far, was going relatively well, despite her anxiety. They had trained together for six months and made a pretty good team – even if she did say so herself. She was so thankful to have Benny as her total blindness was taking a lot of getting used to and, try as she might as she bumped along in the bus, she couldn’t tear her thoughts away from it. She remembered drawing her breath in sharply as the Consultant Ophthalmologist had uttered the words “permanently blind” - her worst possible nightmare since that night five years ago, when she lost everything.

She and Tom had been on a honeymoon in Wales that had been absolutely perfect until the tragedy. They had thoroughly enjoyed bumbling around the countryside, drinking in the magnificent scenery that, for once, was bathed in sunshine all the time they were there.  They had hired a camper van which meant they had the freedom to stop when and where they liked to have a meal or a drink – or whatever else might take their fancy! They loved finding places off the beaten track, with bubbling streams of crystal-clear water meandering over polished stones or, better still, magnificent waterfalls big or small to marvel at. Water gave them both such a feeling of contentment and peace – hard to put into words, but then they didn’t really have to because they always seemed to know how each other felt. 

They had taken a trip on the Snowdon Mountain Railway and made the whole journey in thick mist so missed most of the vista spread before them. When they reached the café at the top they were a little disappointed to find the place smelt of wet wool (due to human clothing not sheep) with windows running in condensation. Fortunately, they were able to see the funny side of it as, had the windows been dry, they still wouldn’t have seen beyond the mist anyway.

The night before they were due to return home they were coming back to the campsite, having been to their favourite pub for their last dinner. The evening light alternated between pitch black and silver as the moon dipped in and out of the night clouds. The road was particularly steep and consisted of some nasty hairpin bends. This part of the, now familiar, uphill road always made them laugh at the thought that she might have to get out and push when, suddenly, a car coming down the hill, on the bend above them, lost control and nosedived over the edge, ripping through the barriers and rolling on top of their camper van before bouncing off and plunging down into the ravine. It hit the bottom and burst into flames. The mangled camper van slithered backwards embedding itself in the side of the mountain at the hairpin bend below.

Tom died instantly but Claire survived, although she knew nothing of the accident or the next two weeks as, with her distraught parents by her bedside, she slipped in and out of a coma. It took her many months to recover. Mentally she was making progress, but the crash had left her with a badly scarred face. This was something she really struggled with although she wasn’t a vain person. However, she didn’t want people to be put off by the way she looked, not realising that her indomitable spirit and genuine kind heartedness and warmth was the thing that all her family and friends appreciated about her. Looks really weren’t important – something easier to tell someone else than believe yourself, she thought.

Now, as she jolted along on the bus, locked in her darkness and her hand resting comfortingly on Benny, she thought back to the good times she and Tom had had together. They had been so happy and so much in love. They had met at work, when she joined the Company and he offered to help her settle in. From the first time he introduced himself she knew she was attracted to him. As time went on he showed he felt the same, often going out of his way to stop at her desk and speak to her.  Over time the attraction grew until, one day, they decided to go for a drink after work. Once on their own they realised just how many things they had in common – sense of humour, values, music, sport – so many things. Their evening consisted of intense talking alternating with uproarious laughter as the date continued over dinner. They were the last ones to leave the restaurant absolutely amazed at how quickly the time had flown by. 

From then on they were inseparable and a year later had the most beautiful wedding day full of joy, love and laughter – particularly good as both sets of in-laws got on extremely well!

Claire had asked the bus driver to let her know when they had reached the sea front - which he duly did, so she and Benny got off the bus and then she stopped. It was so frustrating to feel so helpless as she tried to remember which way to go. She had no option but to have to ask someone, which she did and then set off slowly in the direction she’d been given.

Her anxiety levels were at high as she realised she couldn’t tell Benny where she wanted to go, so she gingerly stepped forward and hoped for the best. He was a brilliant guide dog and gently steered her out of harm’s way every time she got too close to a hazard - although, to be fair, most people did their best to help by stepping out of her way. She could hear the waves crashing on to the beach and the gulls screeching overhead – a sound she always enjoyed. The soft wind on her face felt good and, gradually, she found herself being able to relax a bit and rely on Benny more.

She began to feel in need of a sit down and, following the delicious smell of freshly ground coffee and donuts, made her way to a small café. A waitress saw her arrive and went out to greet her.

“Good morning,” she said in a cheerful voice, are you joining us for coffee?”

“Yes please,” answered Claire smiling towards the pleasant voice.

“Well we are busy this morning so, if you don’t mind sharing a table, you could sit right here and I’ll come back for your order in a minute.”

“Thanks a lot and I’m quite happy to share a table - just as long as no body else minds,” she smiled.

Then a very nice sounding man’s voice joined in the conversation saying, “please help yourself but don’t fall over the dog he’s sticking out from under the table.”

Claire smiled, “yes I thought Benny was showing an interest in something and now I know what!” She sat down and Benny did the same although, he and the other dog did have a little nose to nose under the table – and got on very well! “What’s your dog’s name?” she asked.

“Trixie,” again came the warm honeyed tones, “and I’m Richard.”

She laughed, “Well hello Richard, I’m Claire. Benny say hello to Trixie.” Although the two dogs didn’t really need telling as they were getting on like a house on fire – a very quiet house on fire though as they were two very well-behaved dogs!

At that point the waitress came back for her order of coffee and a scone and Claire sat back to wait and enjoy the warmth of the sun and the lightness of the breeze on her face.

Meanwhile Richard was lost in thought. As an ex-soldier, a Corporal in the Parachute Regiment, he too had suffered a terrible injury when he was serving in Afghanistan.  During a patrol, a member of his section was shot and seriously injured in open ground. Richard led an assault against a building, causing the enemy to retreat, allowing the evacuation and treatment of the wounded soldier. Later, on another patrol, his section again came under heavy fire, with two soldiers being wounded. The section was forced to take cover so he continued and assaulted the enemy single-handedly, even after he himself was wounded. This inspired the remainder of the platoon to renew their attack and force the withdrawal of the enemy.  His single-handed action and his determination, though wounded, to push on against a superior enemy force stood out as an act of inspirational leadership and the greatest valour. For this he received the Victoria Cross.

 To look at him now, with his soft voice and gentle demeanour it was difficult to realise he had once been that Corporal. He, too, had suffered head injuries and also knew nothing more could be done to improve his looks – which weren’t exactly handsome, he thought ruefully. He also experienced the feeling of total helplessness at his situation. However, just like Claire, he wasn’t one to give in easily so continued to fight his inner demons.

As Claire sipped her coffee and enjoyed the delicious scone, they started to chat. It began, as usual, about the weather and gradually encompassed more subjects. Second coffees came for both of them and still they were deep in conversation.

Eventually, though somewhat reluctantly, Claire thought she ought to continue her walk and, moving her chair back, looked towards Richard saying, “I think I ought to get going but thank you, I’ve really enjoyed our chat, I’m so glad I sat at your table.” She had failed to realise that her worries about her condition had melted away. She had felt so comfortable with Richard as, indeed, he had with her. They both sensed a strong connection that overcame all their fears and inhibitions. Bringing two unhappy people out of the depths of despair and into the light.

He knew there was more to this that just a fleeting conversation over coffee so, suddenly feeling braver than he had for a long time, he asked, “would you mind if I walked along with you?” Adding to himself that he didn’t want to lose her.

Her smile lit up her face as she answered, “I’d be delighted.”

They moved away from the café and, as they turned into the promenade, Richard asked softly if she would like to hold his arm so, as she couldn’t think of anything else she’d rather do, she accepted.

They walked arm in arm with their guide dogs on either side of them. Neither aware of the other’s physical imperfections. Anyway, it proved the point that personality counts for as much, if not more, than looks! They were two people whose hearts and souls had found each other and nothing else mattered.

Individually they had been powerless but together they would be strong.

September 06, 2020 20:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Jan Querubin
05:59 Sep 09, 2020

This is really sweet. The connection between Claire and Richard isn't rushed and the built up was good. Benny and Trixie are the best parts of the story.

Reply

Chris Manders
23:15 Sep 09, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phil Manders
06:02 Sep 07, 2020

That’s really good. I particularly like the very last line.

Reply

Chris Manders
20:35 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you that means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.