1 comment

Suspense Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Elenor’s POV

As I look into the mirror, I admire my perfect reflection. 

Knowing I look jaw dropping in my crystal teardrop earrings, and my bold red lip. I smile knowing in fact, I look irresistible.everything sets off my fair skin quite nicely, my golden eyes gleaming back at me. Brushing my golden hair behind my ears, I turn to my lavish closet. Now time to pick out a delectable outfit Ravi will want to practically rip off of me, instead of being preoccupied making us his extravagant dish. 

Tonight was going to be a night, unlike our usual endeavors, where I cooked for him. Ravi was finally going to cook for me. He said it was a passed down family tradition, and I was in for a real treat. Spotting a little red number, with lace accents I decided, quite gleefully, this was the dress. 

I would knock his socks off. 

Ravi’s POV 

Setting my knives one by one, on the table in front of me. 

I admire each blade, the perfect etches and groves each blade possesses. I knew this night would be grand, and lavish just like Elenor would expect from me. This night would be one, she wouldn’t forget. Going to my bathroom, I turn on the vanity mirror and take a look at my face, checking for imperfections. Tonight had to be perfect. Nothing could go wrong. 

Getting out my personal razor, I start to shave my 5 o'clock shadow that was stubbornly starting to grow in. Looking at my reflection I can finally see myself as I’m used to. A clear face, my dark brown eyes with flecks of honey shine. My dark olive complexion, and my natural freckles haphazardly spread across my face. 

Heading to my bedroom, I start to slip on my clothes I already laid out the night before. Such a big night. Though extremely nervous, I was also extremely excited. 

I couldn’t wait for tonight. 

She was in for such a surprise. 

Elenor’s POV 

Finally arriving at Ravi’s house, I get out of my Uber and take the familiar path to his grand house. I could never get over how big it was, even though at this point I had been here at least 2 dozen times. His childhood home was nothing but spectacular. 

And his parents from what I’ve seen are lovely, they never seemed the most supportive of me, always encouraged me to be nicer, but all in all seemed to accept me well. 

Finally approaching the door, knocking three times my anticipation for tonight at it’s peak. I couldn’t wait to see everything, from the decorations, to the food. From what Ravi was hyping it up to be, what I’m imagining is pure delicacies. 

Without making me wait long, Ravi opens the door and his charismatic smile draws me in. 

“Welcome love” he soothes with his soft yet husky voice.

 I instantly swoon, sometimes I wonder how I could’ve gotten so lucky to find a guy so, perfect

I smile in return, and kiss his cheek. 

“Hi babe, something certainly smells delicious. You’ve been cooking up a storm, I can't wait to taste what you’ve been making. Is dinner ready?” I trill at him softly. 

His eyes practically devour me, 

“Smells delicious? You look delectable” he playfully growls, and I beam from ear to ear. 

Guiding me to the kitchen, I see the massive spread he has set up, from. Cranberry, feta, and walnut salad. With a balsamic and olive oil dressing. To garlic potatoes, roasted and glazed vegetables, I couldn't believe all the incredible smells. And to top it all off, the ambiance. 

The scattered red rose petals, the dozens of lit candles. The champagne, ready to be popped. The flute glasses calling our names. I was so ready to get this night started. 

One thing I hadn't seen was the main course. 

Turning to Ravi, “Babe, what’s the main course for dinner?” I ask him  

Something in his eyes falters, and his own grin extends. 

“Oh darling, don’t fret, the main course is nothing but perfection. I know your standards, and I definitely have mine” he looks at me, and eases me with his gaze. 

And like that, we take our seats and he goes to the kitchen to pour the champagne. 

After a toast to dinner, taking a refreshing sip. Several moments pass, and I notice my surroundings going a bit off, reaching out to Ravi. I notice he’s not there, immediately I start to panic. Then a sharp pain to the back of my head, and everything around me fades to black. 

Coming to, I can feel my wrists burn from rope that has me secured to one of Ravi’s dining chairs, testing my ankles, them as well. Panic overflows my system, and I start to struggle and scream but instantly gag from the sock stuffed in my mouth. 

This can’t be happening. 

What even is happening? Where is Ravi, did they get him too? Oh god no, is he dead? Before my mind can wander too far the answer to so many of my questions, and frankly causing even more to stir within me. Ravi steps in front of me, holding a carving knife. 

What the fuck.. 

“Hello Elenor, and welcome to my family tradition, I told you, the main course was indeed, perfection” 

My mind started to spin, I couldn’t believe this was happening. What was he doing, what is wrong with him, why doesn’t there seem to be anything wrong with him?

Trying to sort out what to do I struggle more against my restraints.

”Oh, my darling, don’t you see? You struggling it’s pointless. Elenor, let me disclose something to you. I despise you. In fact, I despise everything you stand for, the way you address people, the way you value status over basic human nature. I despise all of it. I personally am surprised I held out this long. All be honest, there were times, many times” he crouches before me looking me dead in the eyes, any feeling I once perceived gone, replaced with hatred, disgust. 

“There were times I wished I could’ve just killed you already” he says with disdain. 

He smiles, a cold and domineering smile. 

“You don’t know how thankful I am for today. How thankful, I am, to be rid of you.” 

My heart practically shatters, and I start to sob uncontrollably. How can the man I love, who just hours before. Seemingly so in love with me, say these things. As I looked at this man, in his eyes. I could tell, this wasn’t the Ravi I fell in love with. At this point I wondered if that Ravi ever existed. Testing my restraints once more, I find that my attempts of escape are futile. And with tears in my eyes I look to this man, this unrecognizable man, and plead for my life. 

To my dismay, it seems to fall on deaf ears, and a cruel grin twists on his lips. He walks behind me, and I hear the familiar whirring of the carving knife turn on. 

And the last things to befall my ears, 

“Bon Appetit Elenor.” 

September 09, 2022 15:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Trebor Mack
07:28 Sep 13, 2022

This story certainly came to a dead end. Grammar issues and overuse of adverbs were found,

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.