6 comments

Fiction Drama Sad

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives, or so she thought. Today was the day! June 1st would become a new holiday for the Mr. and Mrs., and it would be one that Amelia would mark on the calendar just for Wesley because she would always remember the date. In terms of planning, Wesley was along for the ride, but he had faith in Amelia. All that mattered to him was the marriage; he would have been content with a courthouse wedding. He had no qualms giving Amelia the reins. If she sought his input he would oblige, but when she didn’t ask, he didn’t offer any advice. Every proverbial "i" had been dotted and every "t" crossed. Amelia was a perfectionist and very detail-oriented. Her dress was a traditional white ball gown with a sweetheart shaped bodice, and it was bedazzled with sparkling jewels. To complete her princess look, she would wear a tiara with her hair worn half up and half down. The bridesmaids were to wear long lavender dresses with capped sleeves, and the groomsmen would have matching bow ties and vests with their black tuxedos. Everything was going to be perfect. Amelia and Wesley decided to do their own vows. Amelia’s were written, but she didn’t know the status of Wesley’s. She didn’t want to see his. She wanted to hear his words for the first time at the altar.          

           I Amelia Jaeger, take thee, Wesley Quayle, to be my partner in crime.  I promise to love you wholeheartedly and to not nag you, too much anyway. My dear Wesley, as we stand before our family and friends I vow to you that I will put your needs over mine.  I will always share my food, unless it’s too good, kidding, and I will give you my best jokes. You are my soul mate, my forever, and I will cherish you all the days of our lives. Through thick and thin, regardless of whether we live in a shack or a palace, I will stand by your side because there is no one else I’d rather live for.     

Amelia opened her eyes and immediately squinted. Where is this bright light coming from? She attempted to move, but panicked when she noticed that something was in her throat. She reached her arm up and felt a tube. As she moved her arm she saw that it too was connected to wires. She looked at her left hand. Her ring was missing! Scared, she attempted to call for help, but only a pathetic whimper escaped. At that moment, a familiar face came into view. Daddy! She thought.

           “My baby! You’re awake!” He said. Tears sprang from his eyes. He ran to the door and called for the medical staff. He came back over to Amelia and hugged her tightly. Everyone processed in at once, including Amelia’s mother and sister. All were elated and there wasn’t a single dry eye in the room. Amelia, however, even in her confused state, noticed his absence. 

           “Amelia, when I tell you to, I want you to breathe in and then blow out through your mouth. Okay?” The doctor asked her.   

           Amelia did as she was instructed and soon she was free from the ventilator. Her throat was scratchy and raw. A nurse gave her a glass of water. The doctor had told her not to try talking just yet, so the nurse handed her a pen and paper. 

 “What happened?” She wrote.

           “You were in a car accident.”

           “How?”

           “You were on your way to Wesley’s when a drunk driver hit you.”

“I have to get to my wedding! Where’s Wesley?” She scribbled.

“Honey.” Her dad picked up her hand and squeezed it gently. “The wedding date has passed.”

“What?”

“You’ve been in a coma for six months now.”

“Where’s Wesley?” She wrote again.

Her dad, mom, and sister all looked at each other with knowing glances.

“Tell me! Is he dead?” This time she spoke, her voice quivering and barely audible.

“No…no…he’s okay. He wasn’t in the car.” Her mother responded. “He left. We did everything we could to get him back, but he wouldn’t listen.” 

           Amelia became hysterical. “You’re lying!” She yelled. “I don’t believe you. Why would he do that to me?” 

The doctor walked over to Amelia. “Shh, it’s okay. Let’s not get too excited. We need to give Amelia some space. One person can stay, but everybody else needs to step out please.” 

           Amelia’s mother sat down next her and patted her shoulder without saying anything. Amelia appreciated this because sometimes she didn’t want to talk. Just knowing her mother was beside her, gave her comfort. She didn’t know what to think or how to feel. How had so much time passed? She can’t remember anything. Why did Wesley leave her? Apparently “in sickness and in health” was a vow he wasn’t prepared to take? Did he think she was a goner? Had he really loved her? Why did he give up on her? Overcome with emotion, Amelia drifted to sleep. 

           Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Quayle the DJ announced at the reception as everyone cheered. Amelia and Wesley walked into the ballroom with their hands clasped and held high in victory. They took their place on the dance floor and waited for the song to begin. In preparing for the big day Amelia had asked Wesley if he would go to dance lessons. At first he dismissed the idea, but he didn’t want to disappoint Amelia.   As they took their position, Amelia felt like she was auditioning for a dance competition, but when she heard Elvis, her nerves melted away. 

"Wise men say

Only fools rush in"

1, 2, 3. 1,2,3, she counted in her head as she and Wesley moved about the floor. Amelia was proud of the two of them. They had put in a copious amount about of hard work and dedication and it had paid off. They gracefully glided around almost as if they were professionals. 

"But I can't help falling in love with you

Shall I stay?"

And spin. 

"Would it be a sin

If I can't help falling in love with you?"

As the song ended, Wesley hugged her tight and then dipped her into a kiss. 

Amelia woke for a second time. This time there was less pomp and circumstance. There were only two people in the room, Amelia’s mother, who was asleep in the chair next to the bed, and a nurse who was tending to Amelia. Amelia’s new reality hit her like a ton of bricks, and she wished she could live in her dreams. Satisfied that Amelia was on the mend, the nurse was almost out the door when she stopped and picked up something from the floor.

“What is it?” Amelia asked.

“Looks like some kind of letter.” The nurse said.

“Who is it for?”

“You.” “Here.” She gave the paper to Amelia.

Amelia opened the letter.    

My dearest Amelia,

           You are my world. You are my everything. I love you with all my soul. I couldn’t bear to see you asleep, knowing that not even true love’s kiss could wake you. I panicked. I don’t know if you know the whole story, but it’s my fault that you ended up in that hospital bed. You were on your way to see me because I insisted and I was being a jerk. You wouldn’t have been hit if I had driven to you. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me, my love, for all the pain I have caused you. I don’t deserve you. You deserve all the happiness in the world. You’ll be forever and always in my heart.

                                                                                               XOXOXO,

                                                                                               Wesley                                                                                          

           Amelia re-folded the paper. She didn’t forgive Wesley about the accident because he didn’t need forgiveness. It wasn’t his fault; she didn’t blame him. Could she forgive him for leaving her? That would come with time. She wanted to wrap her arms around him and kiss him again. What she wanted to do the most; however, was rewind time, but by then it was too late.   

November 16, 2020 02:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Abbi Kazoo
18:52 Nov 30, 2020

This was really good! I loved the way you put in flash backs and them making their own vows. On a critic note, perhaps you could divide some of the longer sentences into two smaller sentences? Just a bit of nitpicking to make it more professional.

Reply

Kate Winchester
21:25 Nov 30, 2020

Thank you for the feedback! I could probably cut down on some of my sentences. I tend to be long winded lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aisa M
05:18 Nov 16, 2020

Oh, this is really sad. The music inserted made it even more sad. But why would Wesley leave her at the time she needs him the most..... *_* Well done here! Keep writing. Cheers!

Reply

Kate Winchester
13:47 Nov 16, 2020

Thank you! I agree, it is really sad. I felt like the prompt just lead me that way although next time I should challenge myself to twist it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nikkole LaForest
04:27 Nov 16, 2020

I think you are getting better with each story nice job!

Reply

Kate Winchester
04:59 Nov 16, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.