6 comments

Adventure Fiction Funny



Larson McNabb and Joy Malloy were on a first date. Larson had invited Joy to a cruise on Lake Erie aboard his Yacht, the “Kahlua.” The weather was picture-perfect. The hot sun shone down on the water, dancing atop the waves. Larson thought that they would set a course for the middle of the lake and drift for a while. He and Joy shared some wine as they jetted through the water, the wind blowing through their hair. Larson desired more than a mere journey with Joy on the Lake.  


True to Lake Erie’s legends, the weather suddenly turned for the worst. The waves were fierce, and they washed over the "Kahlua." Joy guessed they were easily six feet tall. The storm raged. The waves crashed into the hull of the yacht. Joy had heard plenty about the lake's treachery. She trembled, and fear consumed her. 

The waves pounded the boat. Larson yearned for his own kind of pounding, and Joy did all she could to flee, evading his advances. 


She stepped onto the deck. She witnessed the wheel's swift rotation. Nervous energy consumed her. She knew the boat had drifted the entire time they spent below deck. She no longer wanted his attention. She noticed a glimmer of light. She had faith in her swimming skills. She swam lengths every week and did college swimming. She trained in water rescue with Canadian agencies. So she seized the opportunity and resolved to depart from the yacht. She watched the approaching wave and dove into the swell. 


Larson walked on deck and noticed Joy missing. Panic washed over him. He took hold of the captain’s wheel. He plotted the course for Colchester Harbour. Larson, a seasoned sailor, understood how to handle such huge waves. He drove into the waves, aq11qsplitting them, as he returned to the harbour alone. He fabricated a reason for her disappearance as he made his way back to shore. 


The harbour master chastised Larson for his failure to adhere to dock protocols since his destination log and his compass coordinates were not filled out. 

Larson stated, “I went on deck, but she wasn’t anywhere in sight. She disappeared. I threw a life preserver into the water, knowing she had to be out there, but I couldn’t find her.” 


“Give me the GPS coordinates where she disappeared. We need it to begin our search. 


Joy noticed the flickering light from an island. She worked the wave to escape her situation. She hoped it would carry her to the island. She bodysurfed the wave. She thought, It was working, as the water's power hurled her onto the jagged shoreline. Her head struck a large rock. Then she plunged into darkness.  


Joy awoke the following day in pain. She had constant ringing in her ears. Her eyes fought to remain open against the glare of the sunlight. She found her way to the forest floor. She discovered the tall pines gave her a respite from the sun’s glare. She relied on the trees to help her find her way through the woods. Walking proved to be a challenge for Joy. 


She had no recollection of the previous evening. She couldn't recall how she got to the island, or even that it was an island. For all she knew, the island was abandoned. Her ears rang like the clanging sound of church bells. 


Weary, she gathered moss from the forest floor to try to keep warm. She wrapped herself in it. She awoke often throughout the night. She was hungry. 

Ravished with hunger, she ate whatever she could find. She struggled along the jagged shoreline. She fell several times and finally decided to crawl on her hands and knees. She made her way back to the forest. Her knees collected twigs, silky moss, insects, and peculiar mushrooms. Everything went awry. She curled up and fell asleep.


Sometime during the night, she awoke to the scent of earth, mushrooms, and wild onion. And the sound of rushing water. She got up and followed the sound until she found a pure spring of sparkling, clean water. 


The clear water enticed her to drink. The water was frigid, and the taste was sweet. As she looked up from the water, she noticed a vibrant row of berry bushes. The berries lay scattered among the foliage. She left the spring, ate her fill of berries, and then wandered until she found a wigwam. 


She entered the wigwam and discovered a large number of containers stacked three high. The containers were full of strange packets of used DNA swabs. The swabs were from Genes.com. The packets were all pink. It looked like someone had gone to a lot of trouble to collect female DNA specimens. She knew, somehow she had to expose this travesty. 


There is no way women who gave their DNA to Genes.com would have ever allowed the storage of discarded DNA swabs by such means. She recognised she had stumbled onto something wrong and potentially dangerous. The wigwam was not a good place to be. 

She tried to hide any signs that she’d been inside the wigwam. 

She hid in the woods with a clear view of the place. She was determined to see if anyone came to the wigwam. 


The containers bore the inscription "CANUSA." She thought about Canada and the United States and wondered if this was a joint venture. Then she wondered if they sold or disposed of DNA this way. 


Joy encountered a boy. He walked right by. Curious, she followed him. She burst upon the scene of a large group of children. They were sitting on the edge of the forest. They looked as if they were waiting for something to happen.


 Joy stayed out of sight. The children's eyes were focused on what looked like a helicopter pad. Moments later, a chopper touched down. Mēlon Cuss was sitting in the pilot’s seat. She knew his face because it was plastered all over the newspapers. Mēlon Cuss exited the chopper and greeted the children warmly. They ran to greet him.  


"Daddy, Daddy!" They screamed. Mēlon visited with the children while his men unloaded and transported supplies to the house the kids called home. Mēlon leaves, and the children return to their shelter; Joy follows them. 


A disturbing realisation dawned on her. The reckless handling of DNA and the protocols from genes.com allowed Mēlon Cuss to purchase the otherwise discarded swabs. Genes.com was double-dipping and profiting from the sale of human DNA. Highly illegal. It means that now, the DNA swabs could be sold on the black market to the highest bidder, unbeknownst to the donors. Somewhere hidden on the island, there had to be a large facility with sophisticated equipment to birth all those children. 


Undaunted, Joy had uncovered a credibility issue with genes.com. It involved the same DNA swabs. Mēlon Cuss, on the other hand, fathered 55 children using the discarded DNA swabs. 


The island held beauty, secrets, and horror. Joy knew the truth. As she unearthed Mēlon's covert laboratory, she discovered Mēlon's scientific manipulation. He created a baby mill. His twisted masterpiece was hidden in the forest, and Joy found it. Mēlon Cuss, your days are numbered. 


Human life on the island began in the lab. It served as an incubator rather than a mother's womb. The story dares to defy conventional wisdom. Mēlon, driven to unleash his boundless creativity, fathered 55 children, all with different female DNA, from all over Canada and the USA. 


Joy went to visit the children. Their eyes were filled with wonder and awe when Joy appeared. She hoped the kids really missed being cuddled. She told them a story, and it captivated them. 


  “There are plenty more stories; if you’ll allow me to stay in this house with you, I’ll tell you as many as you like.” 


The children clapped and danced around with happiness, so the deal was made. 


The harbourmaster dispatched his boats to where Joy disappeared. The seasoned agents from both sides of the border headed toward the island. Larson was arrested.



The American SWAT team displayed their might with every measured step. 

They made their move on the house, expecting the worst. But, instead, they found children. 


A detective appeared, emerging from the shadows. He saw Joy and asked about her well-being. She led him and the SWAT team to the wigwam, where they saw the huge stockpile of contraband. The detective developed the story into a headline. The SWAT team was faced with the task of separating the children by country and mother. 

The agents searched for DNA samples with names and countries of origin. The information unravelled the enigma of Cuss’ plan. 


The children’s hair blew in the wind, as the boats rocked against the waves. New adventures beckoned the children, as they reached the harbour. The authorities met them at the border. Those that were going to the USA. 


Dr. Malloy was immediately taken to the hospital, where she began concussion protocol. She understood, as much as she could, the reason for her behaviour on the island and her inability to recall information. She commented briefly on “CANUSA,” but nothing more. 


The stories broke in both countries. The headlines read: Mēlon Cuss’ 55 Secrets Revealed on Desolate Island! And Genes.com Caught Double Dipping on Discarded Female DNA! 


The island had given up their secrets, and Mēlon Cuss’ was arrested. Joy uncovered those secrets because of her tenacity. Joy, despite having the brain power of a wounded mallard, confronted the challenge and triumphed. She uncovered the year's most critical news story. In the process, she discovered that, despite the hardship, she conquered adversity on the island. 


August 04, 2023 17:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Aoi Yamato
00:56 Sep 06, 2023

good story Lily.

Reply

Lily Finch
01:30 Sep 06, 2023

Thank you. LF6

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:35 Sep 08, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Lily Finch
03:24 Sep 08, 2023

I think you should write one. I'll read it. LF6

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:53 Sep 11, 2023

Maybe.

Reply

Lily Finch
13:01 Sep 11, 2023

No pressure. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.