10 comments

Science Fiction Fiction Adventure

A few college students of geology and history were granted access from beyond the great wall to study the land of the “old world”. One of the students, Liza, was collecting dirt samples and discovered a very old door in the ground. She called to her twin brother, Kevin, to come over to help her open it to explore what was inside. 

"Liza, you're always getting me into trouble," he said as they pried the door open. 

To their surprise, it was like stepping back in time. In much excitement, Liza scrambles to find a flashlight to show more of what was partially hidden under the flickering lights. "Whoa! I think this is a bunker of sorts!" 

The air inside was musty with dust particles floating around everywhere. They covered their noses and mouth with their shirts to try to breath better. They saw very old technology, whithering fabrics, dingy bunk beds, and lights that keeps flashing green in the distance. They went into a corridor and found thousands of corpses that time stripped its flesh from. They gasped and thought what these people could have endured. Liza ventures off into another large room and there are two skeletons seated by this very odd-looking arc shaped machine, both grasping a container. Liza slowly approaches to remove the container from the skeleton’s hands and opens it. To her surprise, it was a letter dated 70 years ago in 2025.

"Kev! Come here! Hurry! I think there's a letter inside!" Liza was so full of excitement that she can barely contain herself. She hands Kevin the flashlight, and then begins to read aloud,

My name is Dr. Gerrad Crownin and I hope this letter is never read because that would mean we have failed. I live in a time of desolation, hopelessness, death, lands void of life, and wildlife slowly disappearing. I live in a time where 50% of civilization is dwindling in number all due to an engineered global famine called Project Paragon. From the ground-breaking scientific research of Winston and Hughes, the world’s major corporations built a society of those with chosen traits, IQ, and family lines to thrive and ensure Project Paragon’s success for a prosperous global rebirth. Outside of this society are the outcasts...the “Forgotten” left to starve. Some “Forgotten” cannot bear to watch their children die of starvation so they do whatever is necessary to process...well deal with their truth, all while others are murdering and stealing from those who are in the same situation as them. Even rumored cannibalism has begun to emerge. Dear reader, this is a time of true despair. I too was supposed to be one of the “Chosen” inside that walled society, but my colleague Dr. Sylvestor J. Gatts and I refused to support a global genocide. We disobeyed orders, along with other Forgotten and some armed military, and have taken shelter in an abandoned underground science facility in Quebec, Canada. Here is where my colleague and I have been working tirelessly for years to construct a functional machine to send two brave individuals into the past to reverse the inconceivable from ever happening. Calling it a time machine makes it seem quite impossible. It’s a term used in science-fiction novels and movies never to be taken seriously or to be believed. In our time where hope is fleeting, we need faith to carry us into the next day. We, therefore, have named this vehicle of salvation, “Hope”. We hope to send these two people to August 15th, 1927 to do what they must to prevent Winston and Hughes from ever meeting. They have been instructed to kill them both, which will in return create a new timeline… one of truth and life for all. Why you may ask? Well, that is where it all started in the minds of two evil masterminds, who truly believed that in 200 years the world will overpopulate and humanity will be extinct. They felt it was their God-given duty to save the world from itself no matter the cost. Dear reader… If you were born and raised inside the wall, chances are, you have been indoctrinated with altered history. Charles Winston and Sir George Hughes are not saviors as they may have taught you but rather two very powerful and disturbed genocidal men. Real history, tells us they met at a very renowned Gatsby on August 15th, 1927. The agreement between these two men made our reality, as we know it today. However, today is launch day, the day Hope brings us a different future. Very soon, the countdown will begin (10, 9, 8, 7)… and all who have sought refuge here will witness, awaiting the “green light” to flash. The walled society you call home, the peace you think you have is a lie! That too will end and a new era of destruction will emerge. I hope you never read this letter, I pray that what we have set out to do is successful, and YOU don’t have to put yourselves in danger for the sake of truth and what is right.

Yours truly,

Dr. Gerrad Crownin"

Liza’s hands were shaking so rapidly that she could no longer hold the letter as Kevin stood in shock and disbelief. Their whole lives they were taught that the United Nations found a way to save everyone from the great famine and in this salvation, brought about world peace among all nations. Their class chaperon, Mr. Lockeson was there spying on them from the side of the entry. 

Lockeson came out from lurking in the shadowed corner pass. “What will be, will be. It’s best to forget what you have witnessed here”, he said, motioning them to come along and leave. 

Liza balls her fists, and proclaims, “What is and what was is wrong! We gotta tell everyone the truth! We have to do something!” 

The chaperon sighs and shakes his head, and says “I was hoping you wouldn’t say that” as he pulls out a gun!

The sound of the gun cocking into place to make the shot echoed throughout the bunker. Luckily, Mr. Hollenstein, another chaperoning professor noticed that Liza and Kevin trailed off southward from the rest of the class so he heads that way to find them. He saw Mr. Lockeson entering the bunker with a gun in the back of his pants. He follows him and witnesses Mr. Lockeson clearly sent on the kid's trip with a different motive. Without thought, he quickly picks up a broken pipe and strikes Lockerson on the head rendering him unconscious. He drops the pipe and puts his hands up to show he means Liza and Kevin he means them no harm. They were backing up as far as they could away from the scene. Hollenstein contemplated on how he can get them to trust that he was on their side. "Well, can't go wrong with the truth, right?" he says to himself.

"I volunteered for this field trip hoping to find traces of the truth. It looks like you may have found some! Come along, we have much to do.”

July 11, 2022 18:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

22:24 Jul 20, 2022

Very engaging story! It reminds me of the show The Time Tunnel and if they could go back and make sure the two evil men never met, the world would be a better place. It just goes to show that educators and politicians can push evil intent and destroy humankind for their own agenda. I hope there is a sequel!

Reply

April Lillard
23:04 Jul 20, 2022

Thank you for taking the time to read my story! I love time travel so I am shocked I have never seen "The Time Tunnel"! I will definitely look that up! Did you also submit to the contest? If so, whats the name of your story?

Reply

10:34 Jul 21, 2022

You're welcome! I enjoyed reading your story! You can find The Time Tunnel for sale on Amazon, ebay or barnes and noble. It is produced by Irwin Allen. The same guy who produced Lost In Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. It ran for only one season but was really good show! The main stars are James Darren, Lee Merriweather and Robert Colbert. I did enter the contest. The title of my story is "The Intergalactic School for Secretaries".

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
April Lillard
23:08 Jul 20, 2022

Oh and yes there is a sequel! Friends say I should make it a novel. I'm heavily considering it!

Reply

10:35 Jul 21, 2022

I would read it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
05:43 Jul 22, 2022

Hi April, I love the concept of this story and Im a huge fan of time travel. Its too bad we didnt actually get to see them go back in time! I will definitely come back for part 2. That being said, I have some constructive feedback, and I hope you take it as it is. Which is me wanting to help you improve. First, you seem to jump around your tense as the story moves forward. I would recommend keeping this whole thing in past tense. This sentence is in past tense: One of the students, Liza, was collecting dirt samples and discovered a very old ...

Reply

April Lillard
08:11 Jul 22, 2022

Hey there! Thanks for the feedback! Tenses and writing etiquette for conversations are both my Achilles heel. I tried getting alpha readers for months now and no one has wanted to do it so I’m left results like this. However, the great news is that I’m gathering all my short stories, adding a bit more to each, and will publish it as a collection of short stories! I’m in the process of hiring an editor. Thankfully, they’ll catch these things and help me out. I’ve read and re-read all of stories and can never catch those things so this help...

Reply

17:43 Jul 22, 2022

You should definitely join critique circle. You review a few stories for others, then you can submit yours, usually 5 or 6 full alpha reads per story. And it's free.

Reply

April Lillard
04:36 Jul 26, 2022

Thank you so much for sharing that with me! I'll definitely join!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Diana Margaret
13:28 Aug 01, 2022

I am Diana Margaret by name from England, so excited to quickly Appreciate Dr Kachi. who helped me win a lot of money a few weeks ago in the lottery, I was addicted of playing the lottery game, I’ve never won a big amount in the Euromillions lotteries, but other than losing my ticket, I always play when the jackpot is big. I believe that someday I might as well be the lucky winner. I was in the Aldi supermarket store buying a lottery ticket when I overheard Newsagents reveal saying what happens when someone win a National Lottery jackpot in...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.