1 comment

Mystery Romance Teens & Young Adult

In the breezing weather of California, sat Josephine with her lover Jack. The Crape Myrtle tree sat in a full bloom, with the florets toppling on them. To add more studs to this glamorous aura, the moon or rather the full moon blushed forward to make it the perfect scenery for anyone, especially two lovers. The chilling winds, added more ambience and make Josephine tuck together with Jack in a single stranded blanket.

 “Ah lord! It’s a lot of fog and cold here, isn’t it?” asked Josephine to Jack. She was not a cold weathered person and didn’t like the winters much.

“It is! Definitely…. But your hotness makes the entire room sweat. Look, I am drenched with perspiration!” said and smiled Jack, making Josephine blush. Her white cheeks gained the colour of red roses and her smile stood wide apart, stating the fact that how she felt.

Jack bent forward to light a bonfire, he knew and couldn’t bear the fact of anything bothering Josephine.

“So, any future plans you have Jack? I mean it has been 5 years us dating and now even our parents know it. You have a settled carrier, and even me! If you persist, I can also take up one more job.. But that totally depends on you!” Josephine asked Jack, but in a serious mood now. Her pink, blushy smile of a teenager had faded and she had come into the life of a proper woman.

“One more job? No Jose, darling I don’t want you to have any burdens on you. My job is enough for both of us, even I insist that if you want to quit your job, which too you can do!” assured Jack.

A silence sat still onto the faces of both of them. The scary mist of darkness roam around both of them that made not only the female but also the male, feel anxious. A few minutes later, Josephine spoke up as if she was analysing something.

“Ummm….You still didn’t reply to my question Jack. I had asked that what next? Carriers are ok, but the question rises that what next?”

“Hmmm…what next? Jose, what are we up to? What should be do the next?”

Josephine grew more annoyed with Jack, loved him a little less and said “we must settle down somewhere, shouldn’t we?”

“But, Jose, we are already settled. You are happy in your own corner, I am happy in my own corner and needless to add, we both love meeting each other on the sly, don’t we?” grinned Jack by saying this as if he knew that what would have happened the next.

“Arrggghh! Why do you keep irritating me, oh Jack? Shouldn’t we marry?” Josephine said and then regretted saying the same. She wanted to hear all this from her partner, who was busy enjoying the situation and annihilating her.

The scarlet like face of Josephine again lit up with smile and she cupped her hands over her face, like a newly wed. She had spoken up, that how she had imagined her future with Jack and now her ears grew eager to hear the reply of Jack, that what he said!

“How can I even imagine to marry you Josephine? I don’t even know that whether you love me or not? First you must prove me that you love me, then only I can take this chance of marrying you!”

“What do you mean by that I don’t love you? I see my present in your presence Jack. You want me to prove it right, ok then, let me think that how to prove it to you!” Josephine replied with a certain anger, her velocity of being annoyed went up and up, word by word.

Without a second thought or without even consoling or pampering Josephine, Jack stood up, went straight to the fire, stood up there to speak something, and as he stood, his leg tumbled and he was about to fall into the tremendous fire, when Josephine grabbed the chance, threw her blanket and pulled Jack up, who was twice of her weight. When Jack was safe, she grew much agitated with him.

“What on the earth did you wanted to do? What if, you had got hurt? What if you fell into that fire? Sometimes, you just pretend and behave like a notorious child. I don’t know, what you are up to sometimes!” Josephine reprimanded Jack like his mother and went to fetch some water. As she arrived, with some cold water, she again said “You and your tactics, oh god! Sometimes I wonder that why I even love you?”  

“You have passed Jose! I just wanted to see that till what extent could you go for me, and yes, certainly you are meant for me, mi Amor!” said Jack as he looked up to the half angry and Josephine’s face, trying to control her smile.

“Silly you! Sometimes you just make me anxious and the other times, you pretend as if you are mature! I wonder, how I love this foolish man, or this small kid with a grown beard!” laughed Josephine.

“Where are you living currently Jose?”

“Residing in your heart currently, and will always be there if you allow, Jack!” said Josephine as if she was making Jack realize once again that she was his own love.

“Well that was a clever one, so Jose, you are an introvert right?”

“Ummm…. … … Partially right Jack. I am an introvert for the whole…. World but an extrovert whenever I see you. You are as if, a medicine for my eyes, treatment for my wounds and oxygen for my heart!”

It seemed as if the whole scenario, the moon, the crape myrtle and the breezing winds were hearing their talks and laughing at them. Their innocent love, which they were determined that they will prove to the whole and their childish talks, which they prayed would never turn into fights. It seemed as if the whole mundane was playing a melodious tune, soothing the environment.

But do you think that the story ends here? No, not at all, and how can it end without a huge time lapse, giving the reader a much bunch of information of that what happened the next, after this melodious night.

So, begging with my favourite story phrases, exciting the reader and flaming up your curiosity, presenting you with the lapse for 5 years later.

5 years had passed now, but as the people say that love, trust, respect and some things never age with time, instead they grow much fonder, being more stronger and of course, being more tough.

Josephine, went to the same place, where she sat with Jack 5 years ago, sat there, touched the tree of the crape myrtle, saw the moon and felt the breeze. She had come alone, not as the executive director of world’s largest company, but simply as Josephine Wood. Instead of spending the entire night here, she burnt a bonfire, sat there warming here hands, and left.

As she boarded her own car, she took out her phone, and read

“Will you ever leave me Jack?”

“I can’t even dream so Jose!”

“Then, do you love me Jack?”

“More that you can ever imagine Jose.”

“Jack, I love you!”

“I love you too Jose, we are two birds, who have to come together, whatever happens! Trust me whatever!”

With tears in her eyes, Josephine deleted the screenshot.

She and her heart had known the feeling of not being loved by someone with whom, they had planned their entire life. They both learnt the lesson of not trusting anyone, never again in life!!

October 18, 2020 14:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

B. W.
16:19 Oct 18, 2020

This was a decent story and i really don't know what else to say, i'm terrible at giving advice or whatever you want. I'll just give it a 10/10 for now. Also, why were you asking me to check out your bio? You didn't even leave feedback or anything for my story since you just came and said to check out your bio, i'd like it if you at least actually looked at my story and gave some feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.