0 comments

Fiction Mystery Suspense

It was a beautiful fall day. Summer had ended. Another day, another dollar. I am on my way to work. As I am walking on the busy streets of Manhattan, I see a hobo. Right there, standing in front of the entrance of the Subway. He was skinny, dirty, stinky, clothes torned, with one shoe missing. It was the first time I was seeing him at this corner. Perhaps, I did saw him before. How am I supposed to remember? They all look the same to me. I was about to step down to enter the subway, the hobo calmly asks me if I can spare some change or food.

‘’Son, do you have some spare change, food?’’

‘’No, sorry.’’

‘’Please…even a nickel would help…’’

‘’Look, I don’t have time for this…’’

‘’I am just trying to survive. Change, money, food…’’

‘’Why don’t go look for a job like everyone else?’’

‘’Sonny, it is not that obvious as you think.’’

‘’Anyhow, I don’t have time to talk to you and I am in hurry now for work. Otherwise, I will end up like you.’’

The homeless was about to utter another word but I just ran down the stairs of the subway station. As I crossed the counter to swipe my pass, sprinted to the train where the doors were closing. Wow! Just got in on time. If I had missed this train, I was going to be late for work.

I work in the computer business. Sales and after sales support. That means, technical support after we sell our products and service. A job that would keep me busy all day to be honest. I was happy with my boss, colleagues, and our clients were great to us. Thanks to them, I have a job and a paycheck.

Another working day completed. All went well. Time to go home. I took my normal route. Back in the subway. Out of the train, climbing the stairs of my subway station to get home. I see again the bum again. 

 ‘’Hello Sir! I believe it is pay day today. It is Thursday. Can you spare a few dollars or get me a pizza slice with a Coke?’’

‘’Look, I don’t have time for this nonsense. I need to go home, and work on a school project.’’

‘’Why are you lying to me?’’

‘’I am telling you the truth.’’

‘’You are a horrible citizen…you know that.’’

‘’I work and earn a living. What do you do?’’

As he was about to open his mouth, I ran away. Yes, that was impolite but I am young, I work, and I got other things to do in life. Yes, I don’t attend any type of academic institution. I just wanted an excuse to leave him and his pointless conversation.

Finally, reached my apartment building. Before I take the elevator to my place, I always check my mailbox. Again, nothing special. Just bills, flyers, credit card pre-approvals letters, etc. Oh! What is this? A dark yellow envelope 8.5 inches by 11.5 inches format.

I open the envelope. A will? A heritance? It seems that I have an uncle from my dad’s side. Uncle Harry? My dad never mentioned to me that he had a brother. I am a little confused. The letter mentions that I inherited three million dollars and that, after paying taxes. Damn! Three million dollars tax-free??? If I am careful, I can live up to maybe a hundred twenty! No financial worries and that will help me spend more time to focus on my health. I am only thirty years old.

Reading the full document till the end, and I see a special condition posted in dark bold letters. It mentions that I will need to spend a full night in a mansion, upstate, near Lake George, alone, from 7 PM to 7 AM, in a total lockdown. Is there a catch? This seems too good to be true. Also, I this seems like a horror movie and I get scared easily by them. I guess when you have seen The Exorcist in secret, alone at home, at the age of five, you are traumatized for life! I am doing this only for the cash, and not for any thrill. This is for tonight!

I just got here by Uber. It cost me a fortune to get here but for three million dollars…. why not? I see the will executor waiting for me in front of the main entrance. He explains to me the conditions to be eligible for the sum mentioned in the will. In details and verbally.

I enter the mansion. Right on the dot, 7:00 PM, I am inside, and a security process actions the premises to a full lockdown. I got twelve hours to go. This place has three levels. A basement, the main floor, and a second floor. About twelve bedrooms, two bathrooms, a recreation room and vast living room on the ground level. Almost like a castle. I see a painting on the wall. Above the fireplace. I walk closer to the portrait and I see the name at the bottom. Harry Miles. You know what? Let me call my dad now. No cell service! I guess that was in the fine prints of the will.

Let me see if there is something in the kitchen. I am hungry. A quite large kitchen with all the facilities to cook for an army. Let me check the fridge. Empty!!! No way??? I don’t believe I saw that in the clause.

Let me just take a good hot shower. That will unstress me. Switching on the faucet in the shower, and no water! No hot water, no cold water. I can’t brush my teeth also. So now, I will need to go to bed, with no food, no shower, no brushing…

Let me look for a bedroom that is convenient for me. Where I can fall asleep. When I entered the premises, I saw most of the bedrooms were quite empty. I will have to look around where I will spend the night. After checking all the rooms, there are no beds!!! This can’t be! I feel like a beggar in my own home.

The night is young and I have several hours to kill. I am hearing abnormal echoes, sounds, and footsteps. Am I alone here? Honestly, I should have read in details the fine print of that document. I am regretting my decision. What a man can do for money? And look where I am now.

I am going to have to sleep on the floor, empty stomach, with no blankets, with a dirty body and a dirty mouth. Why me? Not sure I will be able to fall asleep. I am just going to look for cozy corner and try to get some rest. Maybe just put my head on the kitchen table while sitting on the chair. Sleep like I used to sleep in my college days in the library to get a power nap.

I see the sunrise. What is a stressful night! I barely got rest. The main entrance door opens up. I see a man standing at the gate. Approaching towards me. In a fine suite, shoes, tie, hair extremely well combed. The face seems familiar.

‘’Remember me sonny.’’

‘’I…recognize your voice…you are the…homeless from the…subway station…’’

‘’Yes. And no one in your family knows me. Including your dad. I am the half-brother of your dad. Your grandfather had an affair. And here I am.’’

‘’Why all these?’’

‘’I have no kids. I wanted to leave some good chunk of my fortune to a potential good person that I had a blood relation with. Someone within the family. I got the prove of what kind of person you are. I am no hobo. I own a great amount of real estate. The real test was when you did not help me for who I was. And this challenge you went through, was to make you realize your error.’’

‘’Ah…Uncle Harry….’’

‘’Too late sonny. You are not getting anything. If I live a long life, and we are both still around, maybe with time, I might change my mind.’’

He just walked away and drove away in his Porches 911. While I was having huge regrets of my actions. Lesson learned and it was a costly one…

December 18, 2020 20:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.