2 comments

Fantasy

CHAPTER ONE

Ever since my parents died in a car accident, I was set in an orphanage. The place was okay I guess, we were fed on time, we had electricity, water and all other supplies we need for our daily life.

I had a friend called Alev, we shared the same room and we were connected through our past, she lost her parents too. On Saturday mornings, after breakfast , we all head down to the parlor to watch cartoons or play video games, that is when I beeline for the remote, but before I could reached for it Aunt Zehra came in and called for me . Together we went to her office, once we were seated Aunt Zehra said “I hope you had a goodnight sleep” “yes I did” I replied. “good, I called you here to tell you that you've been adopted by your uncle” count on Aunt Zehra for getting straight to the point, wait a minute what am I hearing “uncle?” My dad is the only child and my mom, yes I remember know she mention him once or twice something about him being weird. I think I saw that coming or thought I did. I am leaving this place I can't believe it after three years of staying here, I reached for the necklace my mom gave me on my last birthday and held on to it. Sighing Aunt Zehra said “Listen if you do not want to go with him just tell me and I’ll kick him out” wait “he's right here” I said “yes he is in the lounge room” suddenly curious about him “can I go talk to him” “of course you can Romina” I stood up and went to the lounge room heart pounding, ears ringing, I suddenly feel like I want to throw up. I stopped at the door took a deep breath smoothed down my hair an went in.

 

  CHAPTER TWO

I immediately spotted him sitted on a chair next to the fire place he stood up and faced me. He was tall with long dark hair tied back in a pony tail, he has a nice pointed nose, almond shaped eyes the color green just like my mom, heart shaped lips and a strong defined angular jaw what took me by surprise is the necklace around his neck, just like mine he took a step closer startling me out of my trance “you look just like her. Sorry hey my name is Adam and am your mom’s brother am sure Zehra told you that and too and I am here to take you with me and I hope you come with me and I have gold fish, gosh what am I saying” I can’t help it I burst out laughing, for a moment he seemed embarrassed but smiled at me, that smile so much like my mom’s, my face must have betrayed me “are you okay”

“yes am fine”

“Ok, Romina” we stared at each other when the knock came , Aunt Zehra came in looking at me then at Adam “is everything OK” “yes everything is” then an awkward silence followed

“So did you decide whether you are going with him” I looked at her and thought of what I am going to leave behind and go with my uncle and the future that awaits me a chance to get to know more about my uncle that mom barely talks about, a chance to go somewhere and start anew a place where people won’t look at me with pitiful eyes treating me like a kid, like am going to burst out crying when my parents are mentioned. Yes I am ready, ready for this new life and whatever obstacle is thrown at me.

“Yes I will be going with him” I said looking now at him “when do we leave?”

“ right now, if you can pack real quick it will help we don’t want to miss the plane”

 

CHAPTER THREE

 

Saying goodbye to Alev was the hardest part, but I made it through, and I’m going to miss them all .

I didn’t have that much stuffs but I gave Alev a bracelet and packed. Leaving the town was a whole new experience for me, I sat in the backseat and drank in the view, I really appreciate the fact that Adam understood I needed to be left alone and didn’t try to start a conversation which am grateful for, every now and then I catch him looking at me in the review mirror he seemed nervous because the he keeps on tapping the steering wheel. We finally arrive at the airport.

Once we landed the first thing I noticed is the heat it’s unbelievably hot, and crowded so many people

“welcome to Chad niece. What we are gonna do now is try to make out alive out of this crowd and look for a taxi” He gave me his hand and I took it surprised at the firm grip and pulled me towards the crowd

We bump into someone “sorry” a couple were right there talking “excuse me” somebody opened his armpit directly o n my face, oh my gosh he stinks like rotten eggs the smell making my eyes teary “coming right through” and we finally made it on the other side of the road.

“ Are you okay”

“ Is it always this crowded ?”

“This is nothing compared to the holidays” he replied whistling as a taxi came passing by, it he gave him the address put my baggage in the back and hopped in.

The city is beautiful despite its heat .

“So what do you think of Chad”

“it’s okay except for the heat and besides I saw a really huge bookstore I might go check that out and the park it seems so nice and peaceful”

“Good you're observant, the park is peaceful that’s where I go when I want to refresh my mind and the bookstore is really great I bought this book that wasn’t even out, an advance copy”“we are here just stop right there, here is your money”“thanks man”

“Anytime” replied the driver.

The house is big kind of like the 1900s style

“It’s cool right, inherited it from my grandfather”

“Let’s go in am hungry and a nap sounds good don’t you think”

We are in was just as magnificent as it is outside with maghony polished floor a huge fire place a chandelier on the ceiling 

“make yourself comfortable this is your home go ahead and check it out your room is upstairs left the second door in the mean time I will heat up the food”

I walk around the house which is awfully silent with so many room as I walked around I try to come up with any weird habit or maybe an object but everything seemed almost too perfect except for the dust which I’d have to take care of that’s the least I can do I finally reached a room with paintings not two but a whole lot of it but it was the one that seems comforting like I can stare at it for long and never be bored I am reaching toward it when Adam yells “you doing okay up there”

“yes”

“well then hurry up to come eat” I left thinking I have to come up and check it out again found my room and opened the door there is a huge bed, with a drawer next to it the room is plain white and bare I’ll have to take care of that plus it has a bathroom bonus point for me, I head in the bathroom and splashed water on my face washed my hands and head to the kitchen. Together we ate in silence till I couldn't stand it any longer “so how long have you been here?” “a couple of years 5 to be precise”

“and you’ve lived alone”

“yeah”

 “must have been kinda boring”

“sometimes”

“well am really tired and want to rest so I’ll see you in the morning”

For a moment he seemed like want to say something but decided against it

“good night”

“good night”

 

 

CHAPTER FOUR

The next morning I woke up brushed my teeth and went down for breakfast

“good morning”

I mumble back and sat on the counter

“rough night” “ehhmmm”

“I got a call from work and wont be back till four, food is in the fridge to heat it and cereal is in the side cupboard”

“hmmm” chuckling he picked his bag ad left “see you soon make yourself comfortable”

Once I finished my breakfast I searched for the cleaning supplies and started dusting the parlor I was cleaning the fire place humming to myself when a key fell down. I took the key and inspected it. It was definitely an old key with beautiful design I decided to keep it and see which room it will open to. I finally arrived at the room filled with pictures and went straight for the one I saw yesterday drinking in its beauty the frame is big it almost covered the wall I moved closer and touched it swiping the cobwebs away that’s when I felt an uneven rough patch beneath my fingers, I looked more closely to see the mistake but instead saw some kind of small hole, wait can it be

Suddenly excited at my new discovery I took the key out and insert it in the frame and guess what it fits perfectly, twist it open and heard the firm click. I swung it opened trying to look closer and fell, like am literally falling from a sky I started screaming and landed on soft snow.


                I must have passed out cause I woke up to find myself in a bed and a blanket covering me

“you are awake” said a voice. Turned toward it is a boy sitting by the fireplace with a book in hand.

“what am i doing here, who are you did you kidnap,what…”

“girl relax no I certainly did not kidnap you, I was walking minding my own business when you fell from the sky and landed on me”

Yes now I remember the door in the frame, tripping and falling down.

“for how long was i out”

“lets say about 2 hours”

“ 2 hours!”

“well you’ve hit you head pretty bad” I reached touched my head when I was overdose by dizziness

“whoa! you need to stay in place you have been given a drug that will ease of the pain, it will wear off soon”

“ I can’t stay here any longer my uncle will be home by then and”

“you can’t go back”

” “what do you mean I cant go back I will go if I want to”

“but you can’t, you came in through a magical portal and once you are in and want to get out there is another portal like an exit door”

“ so I will just get out by there”

“no, the portal is broken, am sorry you are stuck here



April 24, 2020 21:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

08:38 May 01, 2020

First off, I'd like to say I enjoyed your story. The orphanage setting you portrayed was really nice. However, you definitely need to work on your grammar and use of punctuation marks. Adding periods and commas where it counts will really make your story easier to understand and more enjoyable. I wish you were clearer on some parts of the story though, like when Adam took his niece out of the orphanage. You never its location so it will be hard for the reader to know why a flight to Chad was important. You have ...

Reply

Hapsat Mohammed
19:23 May 03, 2020

thanks i really appreciate the advice,and I will work on my mistakes

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.