0 comments

Mystery Romance

What a beautiful town it was! An idyllic setting straight out of a fairy tale, with its small but pretty houses, scattered hither and thither, and people gathered under trees or coffee shops to talk about the weather and exchange pleasantries. The innocence of people around seemed very pleasing to the eye but the second they saw me from the corner of their eyes they started exchanging looks, that judged by a newcomer like me, weren't exactly meaning hospitality. The impression that I had on them was abysmal at best. Their furtive and suspicious glances irritated me more than ever. But I, being prepared for anything chose to embrace ignorance and wandered in and around trawling for a place to take shelter for the night that slowly but evidently was about to fall on the place.

I walked into every building that I thought assumed the appearance of a hotel but people drove me away, either with impolite words or impolite gestures. I had enough of it and I chose to rest on a bench with my baggage as an uncomfortable pillow, lying supine under a big tree away from the main town. That was when I heard footsteps approaching. The edifice looked like an apartment and somebody had snuck out of it and was coming out that very instant. I had no intention to stir from my place for I was exhausted from the day. A few seconds later I noticed a young girl chuckling and running all by herself. She had not seen me yet but I had, her beauty was breathtaking. The way she hopped holding on to her nightdress was graceful. And her long golden locks dangling onto her shoulders were a pleasing sight. If earlier I didn’t move out of weariness now I didn’t, to linger and admire the lovely girl and not to scare her away. But contrary to my intention, my shapeless pillow tumbled down from the bench making a rather abrupt sound that was loud enough for her to hear and be shocked. She ran away hastily but not after sparing me a glance, not as suspicious as that of other town folks, but that of a defenceless deer surprised by the headlights of a car.

I was disappointed once she left but I assumed it was to meet her lover. She obviously must have been in a dalliance with a gentleman. Why else venturing out at that hour? Disappointed by her swift disappearance and even more by the very idea of her association to a different man, I lay there pensive, and eventually fell asleep.

Early hours of the next day, and I was already up on my feet, hoping to see the girl I saw yesterday. But as the sun rose higher ruling the centre of the sky, my daydreaming gave way to rational and practical thoughts, like getting a job perhaps. 

Despite my frenzied efforts, I failed and I was still unemployed in the evening as newcomers weren’t received and honoured as guests. From the maltreatment I was privileged to get, I deduced they believed that newcomers meant trouble.

I could afford a three seasons hotel maybe with what I had, but I chose to sleep outdoors where I slept the other night, reluctant to face the wrath of the people, and also because deep inside I was hoping to meet the mysterious girl.

I was right, sharp at midnight, the usual timing I suppose, I heard the door unlocking followed by footsteps. She was directed to her usual hideout but not before checking if the strange man from last night was there. I could see a hint of disappointment in her eyes. Maybe I sound delusional but a fleeting reaction was evident, for I hid behind the tree. That was an impulsive act from my part, but what was even more surprising was me following her. I must admit it was hard to keep up with her swift passes but I managed to cope, purely out of my curiosity. Once done, I wasn’t sure if I was in the right place or if she would stop her trip there, for it was a field, and nobody was waiting for her or in today’s case- us. 

I was waiting eagerly for the lover boy when surprisingly, our beauty laid down then and there, made herself comfortable on the grass propping up her head with her arms.

 “You can come join me if you want, I am not scared of strangers “

Caught by surprise I advanced, mortified.

“ I am sorry ma’am I didn’t mean to…”

“Stalk me and hurt me later … I am sorry for I don’t accept your apology”

“I am no stalker ma’am, I wanted to see where you were going and whom you were meeting, on second thought yes I am a stalker for it was none of my business “

“Alright call me Charlotte”

“I am Robinson”

“Now come join me for I am meeting no one tonight or any other night, I come up here to enjoy the view, the night sky with the millions and millions of stars”

That was strange, why trouble oneself at night when you have a comfortable bed to sleep and a roof over your head? But I joined her, laying down beside her. 

“Are we looking at the stars or are they, the ones looking at us ?” She asked innocently, putting the awkward start behind us. 

“ It’s beautiful, isn’t it? He, who is the artist behind this masterpiece, is the one looking at us and the stars”

Pleasant silence.

“May I ask you, Charlotte a quick question? Because the night grows short when you have pleasant company”

“The moon and stars are jealous” whispered I

I could sense her blushing. Her soft white cheeks acquiring a rosy tint and her lips curving into a shy smile. I could behold the sight by myself tilting my head but I chose to leave it to my imagination. 

“ Why do people in your village ill-treat me? Why do they look at me suspiciously?”

“You are an outsider!”

“That doesn’t make sense”

“They go hard on every newcomer, every stranger to this town, a series of mishaps have been taking place here...murders to be precise”

“Couldn’t it be anyone from the inside?”

“Here they trust one another, all are brothers and sisters; they would never hurt their neighbour “

I thought for a while, or at least pretended to be absorbed in thoughts, for I was slightly rendered uneasy by the whole murder talk. 

“Aren’t you scared the tiniest bit, a young unarmed girl out in the dark, late at night … not to mention in company of a total stranger “

She looked at me and I looked at her. Her deep blue eyes had a magical effect on me. I could be lost in the sparkle of her eyes forever, her pink lips curved into a guile smile. She never answered or never spoke to me again. No more questions, no more answers.

The sky was indeed beautiful, but the woman next to me was as beautiful and captivating as the majestic and vast moonlit sky hovering above. So we lay there, savouring every moment of each other’s company. 

After a good while, Charlotte rose to her feet and not to seem rude I did the same. 

And we both acknowledged the fact that it was time to bid goodbye. 

She came closer and closer, inches away now from each other. I knew in my head it was a bit forward to kiss each other goodbye but my heart didn’t agree for I fell in love with her, I believed she fell for me too. I didn’t stop her, neither did she, closer and closer. Inches away.

I closed my eyes. Then suddenly felt a searing pain in my heart. I forced my eyes open and looked down to the source of pain, I was stabbed, blood gushing out; tears flowing down, betrayed by love. Wait...she never said she loved me. I fell this time, not in love, but on my knees, looking at her, or was it the night sky? Her sparkling eyes or were they the shining stars? She was still smiling, the same innocent smile she wore right from the beginning. 

Another cold-blooded murder in town, this time a newcomer, from that day on, the people started doubting not just the outsiders but their brothers, sisters, and themselves.

September 17, 2020 08:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.