78 comments

Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

This story contains sensitive content

CW: Mentions of suicidal ideation, mental health struggles, anorexia nervosa

**

First of all, I very much know how much it hurts. Quite literally, it does.


You sit in your wheelchair as they push you bumpily and help you up the maroon leather-backed banquette at the very front of a coffee chain’s branch in the hospital’s lobby. You’re fully aware that the mobile chair is but standard operating procedure for leaving the medical centre, yet the mere idea of your willpower being excised along with that gangrene bit of your small intestine the surgeons took out just six days before makes you wince and sigh. No worries, though, when you look at the amethyst-backed menu as intensely as you would a Snellen Chart, beam, and watch your almond-shaped cocoa eyes sparkle.


You’ve walked up to similar marble counters across the city, asked for the same three-cheese and mushroom fusilli bowl and Moroccan Mint tea latté from some aubergine-aproned barista, almost as if the routine were doctor’s orders. However, you knew that today, your usual gooey pasta dish and the slight hint of aromatic cinnamon and chocolate in your beverage would be extra delectable. After all, one week of subsisting on intravenous fluids and then, flavourless jellies made even the simplest fare seem like Beluga Caviar.


You fork a mouthful into the cavernous expanse on your face, practically shovelling every morsel despite the undeniable acrid disinfectant smell permeating the air. Soon, your belly expands and then, you feel it. The staples holding your core together, the very same ones that will sting once Doctor Cinco dislodges them from your skin three weeks later, start pressing into the rubberised abdominal binder that keeps making you perspire. That burning sensation makes you wish they still pumped the sweet release of morphine into your circulatory system You will your mind to press on, though, keep your lips stiff as a limb in a cast, and jolt energy to your spine so you could sit up straight. Well, didn’t they call you the same thing your entire stay, anyway: The Fighter?


Of course, this wasn’t the first time you have been dubbed that. No, there have been moments, way too many instances where you’ve clawed your way out of a medical team pronouncing you dead.


As soon as you were born, you’ve had to take your first punch. You were scurried away to the neonatal intensive care unit where the healthcare team poked and prodded you, tsked, and declared “Yep, it’s a liver ailment.” Your barely open eyes scanned the room to gaze at your mum and dad’s stony expressions belying the petrification, the tempest inside making their pulses race.


Somehow, though, your minutes-old brain had taken all of this in scrupulously, almost like an intern observing the most critical quadruple bypass, and decided to pump determination into you, almost as if you were on a drip. You balled up those miniscule fists and gritted your way to leaving the NICU two weeks later. When your parents were finally able to take you home, you vowed to hang on, to make sure those lines keep going zigzag on a monitor. Of course, you still do.


When you were 16, you were thrust into Round 2, so to speak. Your beloved English teacher would find you doubled over on the classroom floor during a lunch break. The very next day, an A&E physician would examine you and frown as she pressed her hand onto your abdomen. She’d immediately ask for a sonogram, one that reveals a dark-coloured, malignant-looking tumour strangling your left ovary.


Suddenly, you dashed from chatting with your mates about books to seeing an oncologist, from worrying whether or not you’re done editing the features articles in the school newspaper to fretting about whether or not the possible round of chemotherapy would annihilate your strength. Nevertheless, you command your soul, that integral bit of you that no MRI machine can detect, to bear down, to kick and jab. As you lay on a table and scalpels slice you open, you rivet steel onto your consciousness to go on, to heal. When you hobbled out of the gynaecology ward, you smiled at the second chance at life handed to you with the discharge papers. Of course, you still do.


All those hospital stays, though, were nothing compared to the guerilla campaign you had to wage in the arid fields of your psyche. If going under the knife was a boxing match, in your head was all out war.


You always knew that you marched to the beat of your own drum, did not follow the yells of the invisible drill sergeant of “normal”. The girl who constantly dove into the trenches of her world of stories, who sloppily devoured every new language rule of the tongues she was interested in learning, would obviously find herself repeatedly stepping over social landmines. In the battle arena of secondary school, you were the unlucky target of verbal AK-47s, of unknown bodily fluids secretly smeared onto your uniform. All of those bullets were too much for your adolescent mind to bear, and so, you started fantasising about waving a white flag on existing, about surrendering to the cloaked assassins holding your heart hostage.


The only thing that went on a rescue mission to save you from the dark jungles of your emotions was your love of writing. Every word scrawled in flowing cursive in your old exercise notebooks was a helicopter ride out of the wilderness; every plot conjured up was a shoulder carry from an officer out of the bomb out of the frontlines. Your passion for creating tapestries from words gave you a mission, a reason to continue. To this very day, whenever you churn out a story, you breathe a sigh of relief that you did not let the mental enemies capture you. Of course, you still do.


It's battles like this that led you to a stapled-up tummy in a café.

Growing up, the sentence “You’d be so pretty if only you lost weight” pierced your ears consistently, almost as if it were a bugle call. You’ve learnt to put up a shield, to subsume yourself in doing your own thing. However, repetition left kinks in the armour until it was completely deformed. Once again, you reached for your sword, stood firm, and decided to fight…only you had decided to slay yourself.


It started innocently enough; you cut down your portions and stopped cramming down those sweets you adored. Eventually, you whittled down to your ideal weight and the praises for your new body became the shiny golden medals you proudly adorned yourself in. By that time, though, you became addicted to the adulation. Like an expert marksman, your eyes were trained on every roll on your belly and the roundness of your face. Despite dropping down to a staggering six and a half stones, your scrutinising gaze landed on the minutest of skin folds and desired to obliterate them. Soon, you’d spend three hours on punishing work outs, a solitary bunch of grapes the only thing that fuelled your strained muscles.


Then, one day at work, you found yourself vomiting all over your office’s floor, the sensation like a million steel-toed combat boots kicking you in the abdomen. A CT scan would reveal that a bit of your small intestine’s walls adhered to each other due to the lack of sustenance and that you needed emergency surgery or else the gangrene might infect your whole body. As they wheeled you into that operating theatre, you sobbed at your self-mutilation. You promised yourself to cherish this borrowed life you were handed. Of course, you still do.


The car arrives, and your mum helps you into the back seat. You do not know it yet, but you’re driving off into learning to wrangle your demons, to let the affirmations you speak into the mirror cover your heart like a breastplate. You do not know it yet, but you would find comrades --- friends and, eventually, a loving partner --- along the path who’d stay beside you in every skirmish. What you do know, though, is that you’re going home. What you do know is that you have a new lease on life and that you're grateful you can continue to fight again. Of course, you still do…as always.

July 30, 2024 16:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

78 comments

05:07 Aug 04, 2024

Oh, dear. You have been through so much. A well written and emotional journey of your life. We have so much to be grateful for. We have to constantly fight to not be worn down by the uncertainty in our lives. It takes courage to look for silver linings.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:17 Aug 04, 2024

Thank you so much, Kaitlyn ! Precisely that. I think having gone through all of that makes me very aware that, well, all I have could have been impossible if I passed. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
16:33 Aug 03, 2024

Oh goodness Alexis, I loved your story. Those words ‘you’d be pretty is you lost weight’ really resonated! I have a family member who is always speaking before she thinks and used to say this all the time when we were growing up! Thank you!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:36 Aug 03, 2024

Hi, Rebecca ! Like I mentioned in other comments, the "you" in the story...is actually me. It's such a cruel, pointless sentence. Glad you liked the story.

Reply

Rebecca Detti
16:45 Aug 03, 2024

Hi Alexis! Oh my goodness you are a warrior and I’m so pleased you are surrounded by loving family and friends!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:36 Aug 03, 2024

Hi, Rebecca ! Like I mentioned in other comments, the "you" in the story...is actually me. It's such a cruel, pointless sentence. Glad you liked the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Jeremy Burgess
20:22 Aug 02, 2024

Very powerful! I always find the second person perspective super interesting to read in the way it grounds me in the experience. Really well portrayed, very raw!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:08 Aug 03, 2024

Thank you so much, Jeremy ! Yes, it's one of the things I appreciate about second person. So happy you liked the story. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M.D. Adler
20:24 Aug 01, 2024

I absolutely loved your story. Reading it felt like portraying a war movie in my mind and I was rooting for 'you' to make it. It was brave, raw and vulnerable, stunning, vivid imagery. Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:52 Aug 02, 2024

Hi, M.D. ! Thank you so much ! Like I said in previous comments, I had no idea what to write, so I just went with a confessional. Glad you liked the imagery. Huge thanks for reading this !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom D
11:53 Aug 01, 2024

A very powerful piece - unflinching in its honesty. I particularly liked the line “If going under the knife was a boxing match, in your head was all out war” - I felt that this underscored the vital importance of mental health as well as physical. Thank you for sharing with us.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:00 Aug 01, 2024

Hi, Tom !!! I'm very happy you liked it. And yes, for me, healing from surgery was easy. Healing from mental health issues was not. That's why it always irritates me when people belittle mental health issues. I'm happy you liked the rawness of it. Thank you for taking time to comment on this piece, as well as "Chez Moi".

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
16:22 Jul 31, 2024

This is a beautiful piece of writing that really benefits from use of second person narrative. It allows for objectivity and prevents the story being over emotional or maudlin. The metaphors and repetition of the war theme hold everything together. Very honest and brave. I hope the gratitude continues and the enemy is at bay. Well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:36 Jul 31, 2024

Hi, Wendy ! Thank you so much ! When I was writing this, I really intended to use second person. I love the idea of speaking to my younger self. I'm happy you liked the imagery theme too. Glad you liked it. I'm happy to say I'm still very much thankful to still be here!

Reply

Wendy M
17:46 Jul 31, 2024

🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
13:07 Jul 31, 2024

God bless you always.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:26 Jul 31, 2024

Thank you, Mary ! Happy you liked this very raw piece !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
11:23 Jul 31, 2024

This is - please forgive me for stealing your phrase - really a verbal AK-47 (weird how I was just watching a video about the Vietnam War that explained why that gun was more effective than the American M-16). I thank you for your honesty and courage in writing this. 👏

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:27 Jul 31, 2024

Hi, Kendall ! I'm glad you thought so. I was having a hard time coming up with ideas for the other prompts, so I decided to make a bit of a confessional piece. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
01:32 Jul 31, 2024

A powerful story. Painful, but ultimately victorious. Marvelously written with raw emotion.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:08 Jul 31, 2024

Hi, Linda ! I'm happy you liked it. I couldn't think of anything fictional this week, so I decided to go with raw and honest route. Indeed, I feel Victorious simply because I'm still here. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
00:57 Jul 31, 2024

A raw, painful topic - series of topics - told powerfully. Using the "You" form brings it in our face without self-pity. Great job. Alexis.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:06 Jul 31, 2024

Hi, Trudy ! Actually, the use of second person POV wasn't really that well-reflected. I just thought it felt right. But now that you mention it, I get what you mean. Now, if I could only master third person. Hahahaha ! I'm so happy you felt all the emotions of the MC (a.k.a me). Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
00:32 Jul 31, 2024

Wow, what an amazing story! Thank you for being so vulnerable and sharing that (I'm guessing these are experiences you've had). I love the fight and I love the gratitude you expressed throughout, no matter how hard things got. This was very inspiring and very well written!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:03 Jul 31, 2024

Hi, McKade! Yep, the "you" in this story...is actually me. Hahaha ! I kind of enjoyed writing in full second person, I realise. Now, if I could only find the same enthusiasm for third person writing. Hahahaha ! 😂 Like I said, I'm just happy to still be here. Even when I was lying in a hospital bed, my goal was always to get back at life. I guess save for that period in secondary school where I did have thoughts of ..well..., I always viewed life as an opportunity. I don't want to waste it at all. Once again, thanks for reading and comment...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keba Ghardt
23:21 Jul 30, 2024

Thank you for being vulnerable in your own badass way. It's easy to feel alone, especially as a young woman with a stigmatized crisis, and you prove that the ordeal does not diminish you.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:57 Jul 31, 2024

Hi, Keba ! I couldn't think of anything for this week's set of prompts until I decided to just be raw and honest. The way mental health issues are stigmatised is absolutely infuriating. Like I said in the story, though, I'm grateful to still be here. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Keba Ghardt
03:46 Jul 31, 2024

Your bravery inspired me. I'm grateful you're still here, too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
18:54 Jul 30, 2024

Marching to the sound of your beat. Reminds me of Sinek blog of old. Fine work.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:54 Jul 31, 2024

I always have ! I don't quite get the Sinek reference, though. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
19:07 Aug 01, 2024

Simon Sinek. Start with. The Why guy.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:53 Aug 02, 2024

Oh, business speaker. I see...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
18:08 Jul 30, 2024

The fighter indeed!! This was a wonderful story about overcoming challenges and learning to fight through them. I loved the title, of course, and I really felt for the main character's ordeals. I think too much emphasis is placed on how we look, but the only thing that matters is how we feel about ourselves. The challenges that we read about here are very relevant and real. I know the plague of society is based on looks, but we must all realize that we are all special in unique ways. This story was very touching, heartfelt, and inspiri...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:53 Jul 31, 2024

Daniel, as usual, what a lovely comment ! Your comments are always just so sweet, and I really appreciate your support of my writing. It means a lot. The title was kind of a no-brainer for me because every time I ended up in hospital, there was always a comment on how much of a fighter I was. For this one, I decided to just be honest. I'm happy you felt the main character's --- well, my --- emotions. I think that pressure to look good is always prevalent, especially for women. I must admit that sometimes I still feel a bit insecure about...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Isabella Montoya
00:19 Aug 28, 2024

Great story, Alexis! I like how you used the POV of a second-person to tell a personal story of yours. I love how you told the story with such honesty and such descriptions that I felt like I was transported into the story. You're a very brave and resilient person. Keep fighting and writing great stories Fighter

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rudy Greene
16:17 Aug 08, 2024

A good story of perseverance and strength despite a life of Jobe with physical trauma after trauma. You capture the emotional aspect of illness and physical trauma well. I like some of your metaphors. My only mild criticism is that a few run on sentences at the beginning weren't as effective as your later writing. Over all, good job!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:21 Aug 08, 2024

Hi, Rudy ! Thank you so much for the comment. It is indeed not just a physical ordeal but a mental one. As for the long sentences...yes, I must admit I tend to favour them. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.