3 comments

Adventure Urban Fantasy Fiction

“Se-ren-di-pi-tous!”

* chair is levitating, Harry Potter theme playing in the background. *

“Oh, shit.”

The air felt heavy. It smelled of flowers and wet cloth. In the dead of night, a light breeze brushed the treetops. It reminded him of the sea for some reason. The clear sky led up with stars. He could see her face, white and smooth.

“Do you mind me being here? she said.”

“No, I like talking to you,” he said blinking fast.

“Why’s that?

Her smile was so inviting. Tiny pearls glistened in the low light, a blue tint radiating behind her full lips.

“I don’t know… Maybe because you’re new. You don’t know much about me,” he said leaning back against the stone pillar.

She laughed. “So you lie, make up a new person. Someone interesting, mysterious even, is that it?”

“I could do that. But everything I’ve said is true.”

“I know. I can see it in your eyes,” she said extending the tip of her tongue beyond the borders of her upper lip.”

He shook his head, a broad smile on his sharp features. “That’s good, you should be an actress."

“Thank you,” she bowed, “I took an online class.”

“Really? What method did you master?”

She didn’t mind his tone. She touched his shoulder and leaned forward way too much. It’s a good thing they were alone.

“I’ll show you.” She froze and rolled her eyes left and right. He laughed so hard he was forced to embrace the stone pillar on the porch to keep himself vertical.

“That’s great. Buffering, right? “

“That’s right…”

Her gaze stirred things inside him. Warm, pleasant things. Distant memories.

“Should we go back inside? You know how people are…” he said exhaling for an eternity all the air inside his being.

“No. Let’s stay a while longer.”

Her hair flickered in the wind, her breath was shallow. “Touch me.”

To say that he was dumbstruck was an understatement.

“Go ahead. Put your arms around me.”

He glided his hands across her waist. Like two magnets he could feel his palms pushed away, a static energy that fought back his touch. But her gaze drove him over the edge. He crushed her waist, his fingers digging deep into her bare skin. Her face lit up in the most beautiful smile he had ever seen. She breathed fast, her hands cradling the back of his neck.

“This is nice,” he said close to her cheek.

“I like how strong your arms are,” she said moving her palms up and down.

“Thank you, I like how soft your skin is. Hope I didn’t leave a mark.”

“I don’t mind.”

Woo, ain’t that something? Godamn…

“We should kiss.”

“You’re right.”

“What’s stopping you? Don’t you like my lips?”

“I love them. I love your teeth too.”

“Thank you, I don’t have any cavities. Or strep.”

“That’s great. I have a filling on my molar but it’s a small one. Better to be safe than sorry, that’s what my dentist said.”

“That’s excellent advice. Are you vaccinated?”

“All of them. My antibodies are through the roof, did some blood work last month.”

“I took all my shots too. I haven't had a cold in years.”

They kissed on the porch, his back against the pillar. Under the cover of night, the two of them blurred the lines between individuals, like strands of dye passing through paper. Their youth and health joined forces. Vitality blossomed feeding things that dwelled in the night, things that bared witness to their union. Time once in abundance and slow to pass now raced bringing with it the first rays of light. The warmth from their bodies brushed away the chill, their laughter snuffed the loud music raging inside the house. Touching each other's skin sent jolts of energy through their hearts. If they were to open their eyes one would say a storm’s approaching on the horizon with flashes of white rippling across the clouds. How can two beings bend nature to their will like that? How can they shield themselves from the world, generating a barrier impossible to penetrate?

They watched the sunrise. The music died down, all were sleeping inside. With the fire that they kindled a bond was forged. It locked their wrists together, neither ever having the means to break free. A bond that would taunt time to try and shatter. Two people blinded by each other's essence, dreaming and hoping.

“Should we get some sleep?”

“I’m not tired. How about breakfast?”

“Sound’s great, I know a place close by. What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never been this happy before, it’s weird.”

“I trust you, nothing scares me now. Nothing will.”

The night turned to day. The sun shone and kick-started another lazy Saturday. The city was quiet and empty. They drove slowly enjoying each other's company while music played on the radio. The world granted them the day. They had the place all to themselves. Laughter filled the space. They couldn't take their eyes off one another. Strolling in the street with tunnel vision, instinctively shielding themselves from the outside world, protecting what was precious and rare. Just sitting next to each other was enough to set their bodies into healing mode. New blood flowed, and new tissues and cells sprouted all because they fell in love. Too early in the relationship for promises, the bond came instinctively, like birds choosing flight paths. No need for possession when one surrenders willingly, recognizing fresh fruit that will nourish and grow.

But unlike in nature where there can't be renewal without death, they didn't have to give anything up. Everything he had piled onto what she had. If one dies the other waits their turn in stasis missing a chunk of their body unable to function properly.

"I should get going before my mom files a missing persons report."

"I'm so happy I've met you."

"Tomorrow, I'll text you the address."

"I'll be waiting by the phone."

"Keep it in your pocket. It's easier."

May 21, 2023 09:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Jexica Marcell
16:34 May 23, 2023

"I'll be waiting by the phone." "Keep it in your pocket. It's easier." Okay classic, "I'll be waiting by the phone" moment, but modernized. That's what really got me, but the overall story was so well put together. The way they talked felt like I was listening to a conversation that was not meant for me. That's not a bad thing, it was just rather intimate, and made me happy. Amazing writing as always love :)

Reply

Miles Gatling
10:24 May 24, 2023

Thank you so much, I'm happy you've read it! I appreciate you putting it the time and look forward to your stories. Big hug

Reply

Jexica Marcell
22:05 Jun 01, 2023

:) it would be nice to write but i dont think ill be writing for a while. im out of energy and im tired of everything...life hasnt been going too well lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.