The Encounter

Submitted into Contest #18 in response to: Write a story about a very skilled pickpocket. ... view prompt

0 comments

General

“You do what you can to survive, Mary. That’s all you can do. That’s all any of us can do.”  

The words of my late mother pounded through my head as I raced down the cobbled streets of London. As my cheeks slowly reddened in the crisp morning air, I couldn’t help but tear up as I thought of her soft hair, the warmth of her reassurance, her voice waking me in the morning... 

No. Not now. There wasn’t time to get trapped in memories, though I knew they would come back. They always did.   

A day of nourishment was on the line. 

 Without so much as a glance, I bolted across the bustling road, narrowly avoiding a skittish horse and the run-down carriage it dragged behind. Shouts of dismay echoed from the interior as the frightened beast reared up, crashing down inches away from where my feet had once been.  

I didn’t flinch. I barely even noticed. I had spotted my target in the distance, and I was in an entirely different world, one that felt much more comfortable and familiar. My life was a game of survival, and the chase was on. 

The unsuspecting gentleman in the distance was blissfully unaware of his surroundings. As he strolled down the road, his boots echoed loudly up and down the way. He flipped a sparkling gold pocket watch in a heavily jeweled hand, tipping his silk top hat to any passing lady that happened to look his way.  

A few yards away from the man, I slowed my pace to a brisk walk. Slowly, I approached the man from the side.  

“Good morning, good sir! I was walking by and I just happened to notice your incredible hat! Please, where did you find this? My father would adore a hat like this.” I was nearly twenty, but the round nature of my face and the pitch of my voice managed to convince most that I was no more than fifteen.  

The man turned and smiled at the apparently naïve young girl next to him. I had made sure to obtain clothes that gave no indication of my status whatsoever. I could be anyone, but right now I was a silly girl entertained by a silk hat.  

As he reached for his head, his hand released the golden pocket watch. Too easy.  

My hand quickly followed his, unhooking the watch and sliding it into my jacket. By the time he noticed that it was missing, I would be gone.  

I politely nodded and smiled as he very carefully explained the country of origin, the price, and the limited number of this hat that existed.   

I was busy planning an escape route.  

As he replaced his hat, he patted my cheek and gave a wink.  

Men.  

I smiled and gave a polite curtsy, restraining my urge to kick him as hard as I could. 

I turned and walked back the way I came. As soon as I heard an exclamation of surprise echo from the direction of the gentleman, I booked it into an alley. No way would he be able to catch me, and no doubt he had enough money to simply replace what I had stolen.  

The shopkeeper a couple blocks over knew me well. He knew that I scarcely paid with official currency, but these were desperate times. I exchanged my findings for bread and meat, and he often sold my bartered items in his shop. He must have suspected that I stole, but like I said – desperation. The lower-class cares for each other.  

As I rounded the corner near his shop this morning, all seemed well. The birds were busy waking the rest of the stragglers still asleep in their warm beds. Water dripped from icy patches on roofs, and horses pushed their way through the bustling streets. The store was open, glittering windows dotted with water droplets from the morning dew.  

My mouth watered at the thought of bread hitting my tongue. I hadn’t eaten since yesterday-thank god for the fools in this world. Thank god for silk hats.  

As I approached the store, a woman cut in front of me. Her long silver hair was tied in beautiful ribbons, each strand perfectly brushed and secured in place. Her dress flowed to the ground, coming just short of the cobblestones and revealing beautiful ruby shoes.  

She clutched an expensive looking purse.  

No telling what that purse had inside. If I just dashed up, grabbed it... 

No way she could catch me in those heels, in that dress. Normally I would calculate my moves, plan everything out, but...this could feed me for a month.  

She was nearing a more populated area of the street. I needed to move, or I’d lose this opportunity.  

I kicked into action. I raced toward the woman, quickly clearing the distance between us. Easy. I’d snatch it and go. I reached for the purse... 

...and suddenly I was soaring through the air. I hit the hard ground, landing sharply on my elbow. I screamed in pain.  

Suddenly the woman was standing over me, heel poised at my throat. I couldn’t see her face in the blinding morning sun.  

No, no, no, no. NO.  

“Who do you THINK you are? Do you take me for a fool? You think I wasn’t on the streets once? "she practically screamed.  

She bent closer to my face. Immediately, I gasped. That face...  

“Mother?”  

She reeled back in shock.  

“M... Mary?”  

She put her hand over her mouth. She reached out to me. I slapped her away.  

“Mary...please...”  

I stood, wincing at the pain in my arm. It was bruised, or worse. I turned to face the woman.  

“You died.” I hissed.  

She shook her head.  

“I ...I didn’t. I didn’t.”  

She reached into the purse. She pulled out a pristine white envelope.  

“I intended to give this to you when you were old enough. I didn’t realize how bad it had become...” she glanced at my clothes.  

I took the letter. My hands were shaking. I needed to leave.   

“I mourned you for SO LONG. I’m still mourning you,” I whispered, “And I’ve come too far to stop. I loved you...but you’re dead to me. You have to be dead.”  

She gave a sad smile. She nodded.  

“You’re better without me. You’ll always be better.”  

I nodded slowly.  

“I know,” I said, slowly backing away.  

Without another word, we turned and parted ways. I would return for food, but for now I needed my peace. And this damn letter... 

I didn’t need to dwell on the past any longer. I didn’t need her explanation. She left. She wasn’t there. It was my turn to make a life for myself. And I was doing just fine on my own.  

I placed the white envelope in a pile of sizzling embers on the side of the road. I watched until the corners of the paper turned black, and then I walked away.  

I am Mary. I do not dwell on the past. I steal, but only to find my way to a better life. I am on my own, and this will not be the last that the world hears from me. 

December 06, 2019 22:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.