Contest #265 winner 🏆

111 comments

Fiction Drama Inspirational

When the doctors asked him if he wanted to hop into a frying pan, Alexander of Severe Level III, long acquainted with doctor tongue, knew they meant they wanted to trial a new drug or a new treatment. Alexander said okay because he was tired of being shut up all day in the institution, and wanted to travel to the testing lab. More importantly, he had lost a central piece of himself to shrapnel when he stepped on a landmine eleven years earlier, and continued to perplex what was left of his cerebral cortex with the hope of its recovery.


The doctors assured Alexander that the new treatment, which had to be administered far from the city to avoid electrical effects, had worked well on animal subjects, and if Alexander of Severe Level III would scrawl his agreement on the bottom of a standard form, he could find his way home again.


Home seemed a dream, but a pleasant one.


Once, when he was a small child at the county fair, Alexander, then of Innocence, had far wandered from the hand of his mother who was busy with cotton candy or ice cream. He had been blinded by the midway bulbs, deafened by the shouts of shills, and had begged a tall cowboy for help. Home at that time was not only a pleasant dream, but the possibility of its loss a nightmare.


Now, absent an essential piece of himself, and with the prospect of finding it again without the need to return to the war jungle of snakes and booby traps, Alexander scrawled his agreement, and climbed into an institution van with a doctor, and a driver who somehow resembled a beautiful cow. They both wore important badges and faces.


Alexander watched the bridges and buildings pass as the van moved through traffic toward the point where the natural earth escaped the clutches of the city. He hadn’t been outside the institution in eleven years and stared at the apartment towers with their multitude of windows and balconies. Some of the balconies held human figures aloft.


Why don’t they jump? he asked the doctor.


They aren’t missing a piece of themselves, replied the doctor.


That made good sense to Alexander of Severe Level III. He knew something in his head had blown into the treetops all those years ago when he walked point in the jungle with his brothers, but he wasn’t sure what it had been. He might have been a painter before the war, or maybe a carpenter. The only thing he knew with some certainty was a faith that tickled his blood. Somewhere lived a god that smiled.


Once outside the city, but still a long distance from the testing lab, they left the main highway, and drove past fields of corn and wheat.


Cultivation is the most vital labor, said Alexander. It was something he had read long ago. He wasn’t sure it was true, but it did make a certain sense.


Yes, said the doctor.


But why is that? asked Alexander.


Well, we all have to eat, I suppose.


Alexander of Severe Level III sat back in his seat, satisfied with the answer, and chewed a memory that had ripened into an edible fruit of a time in the war before the landmine blew him into the institution. He had stood around a fire with three or four other soldiers and tossed live shells one by one into the flames. The idea was not to flinch when they exploded, and with any luck, not to get bullet pierced. One guy did receive a hit that fractured his jaw, and through the wonder of medical evacuation and the benediction of medical discharge, returned home where the only institutions he had to suffer were those of reconstruction surgery, family life, and a dull factory job.


Those were the lucky ones, thought Alexander, as the institution van climbed into the mountains above the husbandry. Some never came back at all.


Some came back without a leg, without a functioning set of organs, or worse, without a memory of who they had been, or why they had thought it necessary to offer their youth when the government called.


If he had to guess, Alexander would say that, at the time, he had volunteered to protect his way of life, but since he had lost whatever that way of life had been, he couldn’t say for sure it was worth protecting.


The doctor reached over and poked Alexander’s arm.


We’re almost there, he said.


Alexander of Severe Level III nodded, and shifted in his seat. He was ready to find what he had lost.


They came to a gate with a sentry station, and after the ritual of identification, entered the grounds of the testing facility. It sat on a gently sloped hill, and had the look of a former ranch. Alexander thought he heard an animal.


Do you have cows? he asked. The long afternoon shadows could hide most things.


It’s just the wind, said the doctor. We’ll start in the morning.


The next day, the doctor came for Alexander early. After a light breakfast, they walked outside and sat on a bench. The sun birthed a blue day.


I wasn’t honest with you, said the doctor.


When?


At the institution, when I said the animal tests worked well.


What happened?


Some of them died.


The sun feels good, said Alexander.


Do you understand?


Not really.


You could die here, Alexander.


Why then?


I want to help you, son.


Alexander of Severe Level III nodded. That too made good sense. And he imagined it made his god smile. The way things were, he wasn’t living. Not as living should be, anyway. In the morning at the institution, they unlocked his door. In the evening, they locked it again. The food was predictable. Until yesterday, he hadn’t seen a real tree for eleven years.


That’s okay, Doc, said Alexander. Maybe I’ll find my missing piece.


The doctor stood. Let’s get started then, he said.


They walked toward the testing lab. Alexander raised his face to the sky. It hosted a few cumulus clouds, like pillowed kingdoms from a softer time. A hawk circled.

August 29, 2024 15:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

111 comments

Wayne Adams
19:59 Sep 07, 2024

Memories of a distant past.

Reply

Victor David
23:08 Sep 07, 2024

Thanks for checking it out, Wayne. Yes, memories.....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Saber Ihsanne
16:17 Sep 07, 2024

I loved it truly... I hope this comment finds you thriving! Could I get your opinion about the short story in my profile?

Reply

Victor David
00:00 Sep 08, 2024

Thank you, Saber. I'm glad you liked the story. I'll take a look at yours...

Reply

Saber Ihsanne
11:19 Sep 08, 2024

I'll be thankful. You are kind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zakirah Green
15:27 Sep 07, 2024

Love this and Alexander certainly paints a picture of hope and faith. '' Somewhere lived a god that smiled.''

Reply

Victor David
17:06 Sep 07, 2024

Thank you, Zakirah. Let's keep the faith!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
14:17 Sep 07, 2024

Classic tone, brevity, ideas. Yum.

Reply

Victor David
17:04 Sep 07, 2024

Thanks Tommy. I'm glad you liked it. And I appreciate you taking the time to drop a comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stephanie Racine
13:44 Sep 07, 2024

I love your writing style. Succinct and poetic at the same time!

Reply

Victor David
16:02 Sep 07, 2024

Thanks much, Stephanie. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I do have fun writing, that's what's about for me, and it's good to connect with others. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pete K Mally
13:30 Sep 07, 2024

I read this twice and enjoyed it equally both times. Very poignant and hopeful with great detail without appearing bogged down in unneccesary text. Loved it. Thank you for writing this

Reply

Victor David
17:02 Sep 07, 2024

Thanks much Pete. Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Becky Parker
13:19 Sep 07, 2024

What a powerful story. I feel like Alexander is well on his way to finding his missing piece. Great job!

Reply

Victor David
16:06 Sep 07, 2024

Thank you, Becky. I appreciate your comment, and am glad you liked the story. I hope Alexander finds his piece, too. I think he will... ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:46 Sep 07, 2024

Congrats on the win.

Reply

Victor David
16:15 Sep 07, 2024

Thank you, Darvico!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lena Solomon
04:43 Sep 07, 2024

Impressive, brilliant ! Well deserved win definitely

Reply

Victor David
17:01 Sep 07, 2024

Thank you, Lena. I'm glad you liked it, and glad that we're slowly getting closer to those days of 25 hours... :) I learned something new...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Marshall
03:42 Sep 07, 2024

Congratulations on a great story. I really enjoyed it.

Reply

Victor David
16:58 Sep 07, 2024

Thank you, David. Really appreciate you reading it and taking the time to comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lonnie Russo
02:44 Sep 07, 2024

Congratulations on this well-deserved win! I enjoyed your take on the prompt and what you managed to create here. Right from the start, the line “and continued to perplex what was left of his cerebral cortex with the hope of its recovery” really struck me. What are we, after all, but a combination of pieces left to ponder themselves? Kudos!

Reply

Victor David
16:09 Sep 07, 2024

Thanks, Lonnie. I'm glad you liked it. And yes indeed, we are those pieces, connected inside and out, with plenty of room to ponder. Really appreciate your comment; it's a lovely one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:31 Sep 07, 2024

Congratulations, Victor! An excellent story, as always.

Reply

Victor David
15:39 Sep 07, 2024

Thank you, James. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You're such a wonderful supporter, and I really appreciate that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jenny Cook
22:32 Sep 06, 2024

The first line grabbed me and the story that followed didn’t disappoint. An eye opener that shows what happens to a person when they lose a part of their brain. This also holds true with certain neurological conditions. A poignant story with a glimmer of hope at the end.

Reply

Victor David
23:15 Sep 06, 2024

Hi Jenny. That's very nice of you to say so. I'm glad you liked it and got that glimmer of hope at the end. Thanks for reading and for your lovely comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Victoria West
22:08 Sep 06, 2024

This story is so detailed. I could feel his pain and I wanted more. Though I love to ponder what could be and hope that he lives. Maybe he could go back to his own life. Whatever that would be. You well deserved this win. Thank you.

Reply

Victor David
22:28 Sep 06, 2024

As I've mentioned before, I frequently leave the reader with their pondering, as you have done. And since I feel we're all connected in various ways, it's my pondering, too. Thank you very much Victoria for reading and your lovely comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Margarita L Love
20:35 Sep 06, 2024

Yes! The short story is well written and clear. I like the ending of the story line positive imagery, hopeful: "Alexander raised his face to the sky." However, the beginning line imagery is not that satisfying: "When the doctors asked him if he wanted to hop into a frying pan, Alexander of Severe Level III,"

Reply

Victor David
22:20 Sep 06, 2024

Thanks Margarita for checking it out and for your feedback. I always appreciate hearing from folks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Leslie Parado
20:23 Sep 06, 2024

This is beautiful storytelling...congratulations!

Reply

Victor David
22:14 Sep 06, 2024

Thank you, Leslie for reading and your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had fun with the prompt... they're stimulating.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gina Kelley
20:20 Sep 06, 2024

This is beautiful, Victor! At the end, I wanted more for just a second. Then I realized that more words would have been an injustice. It leaves the reader space to ponder and hope for what could be.

Reply

Victor David
20:26 Sep 06, 2024

Thank you Gina, for your beautiful comment. I do tend to leave things up to the reader at the end. As you have noted, it does leave space for ponder and hope, which is my intention. Thanks much again. Really appreciate your thoughts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arwen Aungle
19:58 Sep 06, 2024

I was pulled in to the inner world of the protagonist. An excellent story. I thought it would go on, can you write part two?!

Reply

Victor David
22:18 Sep 06, 2024

Many thanks Arwen for reading and your comment. Much appreciated. Sometimes I do go back and write another piece with the same protagonist, but I have to admit that rarely happens.. :) Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Alexander
19:56 Sep 06, 2024

Kind of like an old dog going out for that last long walk.. simple but strong writing. Good job, Victor.

Reply

Victor David
22:33 Sep 06, 2024

Ah... Love the old dog thought.. :) Thanks for checking it out and the comment Philip!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan McNeill
19:00 Sep 06, 2024

This is wonderful Victor, a well-deserved win! I love your descriptions, elegant and poetic.

Reply

Victor David
19:58 Sep 06, 2024

Thank you, Megan. Was a pleasant surprise this morning. I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.