My story is entitled Tensing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary the mountaineers in the year 1953 climbed the Mountain to the summit of Mountain Everest.

Written in response to: Write about a character who’s climbing a mountain, whether internal, external, or both.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Mystery

My story is entitled Tensing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary the mountaineers in the year 1953 climbed the Mountain to the summit of Mountain Everest.


Once upon a time the two climbers and mountaineers Tensing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary were the first to climb Mountain Everest,they made a decision to climb. The climbers climbed Mountain Everest because they had physical qualities such as endurance, will power and persistence.

Climbing is the act of surmounting a steep object generally using ones hands and feet.

Also both the two climbers were known to be skillful ,brave, and experienced in all their endeavours.

The two mountaineers both Tensing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary often climbed mountains for sports.

Mountaineering is also called mountain climbing mainly for pleasure.


However mountaineering or mountain climbing is the sport of reaching or trying to reach high points in mountainous areas mainly for the joy and thrill of the climb.

Actually the sport of mountain climbing involves the intense physical activity.

Again mountain climbing includes hiking ,rock climbing and traversing slopes that are covered with both ice and snow.

Also regular mountain climbing can improves your overall stamina.

The four main types of climbing adopted by the mountaineer or climbers includes

Adaptive Climbing that is the climbing for people with a variety of disabilities.

Alpine Climbing.

Artificial Wall Climbing

Big Wall Climbing

Bouldering


Climbing done by the climbers or mountaineers strengthen both your hands and forearms ,biceps, neck,shoulders glutes, thighs and calves.

Also apart from the mere fact that the two climbers climb Mountain Everest they also do rock climbing and other times mountain hiking.

It can be noted that a climber is someone who often climbs both rocks or mountains as a sport or hobby.

The Mountaineers both Tensing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary lived and worked in the mountains and the wilderness often known as a pioneer or a frontiersman.


In addition some Geologist do classify a mountain as some sort of landform that rises at least 1000 feet or 300 meters above its surrounding area or ground level.

Also most mountains that the two mountaineers often climb were described as follows.

The mountains were bone white in colour.

A wall of snow comes crashing down the mountain that creates an enormous sound.

Also the mountains were crinkled at the top in shape.

It can be noted that mountains were sky piercing.

Again the foot of one mountain is always covered in mist.

The peaks of the mountain were like a row of arrow tips.

Most climbers and mountaineers could often see deer clattering across a mountain.

The air surrounding the mountain was often ice cold

The mountains seeks to give us time to take a moment in order to be in awe of the natural beauty surrounding the world.

Again the mountain helps in escaping the rush and the pollution of modern life and then alters their perspective.


In addition the idea of a trip to the mountains with loved ones can have some sort of positive impact on our mental wellbeing.

The three stages of climbing a mountain as mentioned by the two climbers Sir Edmund Hillary and Tensing Norgay includes the following.


As mentioned by the climbers there are three separate phases of mountain climbing that includes hiking, rock climbing and snow and ice technique.

The best type of climbing is the indoor bouldering in a Climbing Gym.

Again free climbing is also called sports climbing and read climbing that involves some protective gear such as rope ,harness and clips.


In addition rock climbing is also called Bouldering that is both indoor or outdoor which is a form of climbing usually practiced on small rocks and boulders on artificial outdoor climbing structures.


It can be noted that the climbers or mountaineers had survival skills including physical and mental strength ,endurance, resilience and cunning before they were given the task to climb Mountain Everest.

When climbing a rock or mountain the lead is the person leading the climb.

Also the second is following the lead up. The Belayer is the person that manages the rope protecting the climber against a fall from the rock or mountain.

The pitch or a part of a climb is completed using rope length.


When climbing a mountain the Mountaineers or climbers need the following equipment that includes climbing pack, Ropes ,Helmet, Harness ,Crampons, Ice axe, Belay or Rappel device and a Pulley.

The mountain seeks to teach all climbers and mountaineers to look beyond what appears to our eyes.


However what we can possibly learn from the mountain does not involve just the technique , physical endurance and climbing it also refers to everything we cannot possibly see either to touch but we do perceive under our skin.

The mountain symbolizes constancy, permanence, motionlessness and its peak spiritually signifies the state of absolute consciousness.

The people of the mountain are both peace lovers and peace makers.

Also the mountains are a unique example of beauty ,peace ,austerity ,spirituality eco-yoga and creativity.


In addition the mountains are an extraordinary environment of biological diversity.

When climbers and mountaineers like Sir Edmund Hillary and Tensing Norgay stand firmly vertical they both observe that the mountains defy the gravity of the Earth and then peek out from the sky.

Most climbers and mountaineers are cautioned to have these qualities before climbing a mountain.

Among them includes

Unwavering self belief.

Ability to then visualize success into detail.

The ability to also accept and deal with fear.

Again the ability to manage doubt.

The climbers must have bullet proof positivity.

Also the climbers must have the enjoyment of suffering.

The climbers must have mental endurance and a sharp focus.

As can be noted the highest mountain in Great Britain is Ben Nevis where climbers and other Mountaineers often climb.

Most mountains often occur much more often in oceans than on lands.

Also some islands are the peaks of mountains coming out of the water.


Finally ,I will like to argue that people or climbers like Sir Edmund Hillary and Tensing Norgay often climb because they demand strength of body and force of mind.

In conclusion climbing is more of a lifestyle than hobby it brings people together doers, daredevils,conquerors ,wild ones and other adventurers.

There is always a mystery as to why people often climb.


January 17, 2023 05:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.