0 comments

Inspirational

           Close Encounters of Two of a Kind                                  


    There have been stories on a meeting of east meets west or the convergence of two sides to a political argument with divergent ideas, or comparable situations resulting in some resolution. However, what is often overlooked is the chance of one character meeting another who may have both similar and different ideas, and who have started out not exactly against each other, but more like dissimilar to one another, or rather unrelated, to each other depending on one’s outlook. However, in a short time they would endure a similar experience to claim bonding and a more familial like resolution which is something each would value singularly and plurally

     One of these characters is not myself, neither is the other but in some way I feel an obligation to admit some responsibility of their shared encounter and their affinity of recognizing me as a spark to their movement, and as a plug to curtail it. This was what they said to me after their experience and I knew that they were speaking my language since, despite that I although I was not a driving force, I did a little of the steering, and changing lanes, of thought and this was written in my driver’s manual. One can’t say that this type of word use was one of the things that brought these two individuals close enough to share an experience, but it did not take a back seat and I am not referring to an overdrive of motion but this was a factor in their connection. The two characters may have developed the strands of family and enjoy that condition but each may not be ready for a family meeting to be illustrated.

         I recall seeing the two of them, Alan and Kevin walk down the same street and I surmised that if they had met, one might have said to the other at the beginning “I think whatever we go through will make us both better” and the other could have replied “One of us would be enough and if that person is you, then perhaps that is better for me.” This was the unspoken bond that each have with the other and I was there first as an observer and subsequently more like a facilitator. If they had said that statement in front of me they might ask me to explain what that means and one or both of them may alter their statements, but I was out of sight when they walked past each other so now wasn’t the time. However I learned that this did not prevent them from discussing the possibility of myself as a plain clothes observer so I realized that although each did not know me well, they knew enough, because each looked at one another several times as they crossed paths. How whether this would emphasize their intensity of their experience is something that we may not know, as I had already included myself in their future encounter and they would let me in cautiously.

Kevin who was east bound, a young guy in his twenties was someone trying to find his way but knew he had some talents in certain areas although he was both anxious and eager to find out more. He would walk to and from his part time job saying “I have only to wait for an opportunity to show what I can do and if the first person happens to be myself, I might have to wait for a more suitable spectator or perhaps see myself as another might. Alan who was west bound was in his early thirties and went to school part time which for him was better than a part time job because although he did not receive a paycheck, he would receive a grade check which kept him both honest and inquisitive. He also was aware of some talents were part of his makeup and wished to find out more about it and about what he can demonstrate and he then said “I await my chance to show this to someone, and if that person turns out to be me, I might have to wait for another or perhaps see myself as another would.’ They only knew me vaguely, however, each on his way home had said to me, not exactly word for word , “I await for an opportunity with open arms and clenched hands and if there was a place we all could meet and have you bear witness Charles, it may bring us closer so you may have to stick around, for a while.

         I had met both of these guys a few months before but I cannot remember who I met first or where I met him but from what I heard both imply, each had some initiative to self-discover their talent and some uneasiness about the method of discovery and how this would this would bring some type of unity. I did not tell either of them this since I wanted to let them know each could follow his own path without any one to draw the road line, however, I could help them with their conversational lines if they needed it so this type of unity between them would take its course.

I also believed that by “Unity”, that they might accomplish this concept with each other, a team effort of familial connection with a natural inclination to belong.

 I reinforced this type of information to each of them and then I knew that they had met one another some time ago, but whether I was there or not was unknown. Sometimes this occasional dialogue between myself and each of them brought them closer together, in what they thought of one another. However, as a corollary, sometimes it brought me further apart, which I accepted solemnly. Two or three times I said to each of them at different times ‘This oscillation of closeness is fine with me as long it energizes both of you, however I would help either of you in a moment’s notice even if things get sticky, and if I do come between both of you, it would only in mediator form, not by position. These two were accepting of things as they are but both often desired something more than they could talk about, however, they declared, not with their grandchildren but with their neighbors. I responded to each by saying “In this time that is a good thing since sometimes for guys like us, the good neighbor policy is way behind schedule and its cash value is often not the amount we had hoped it to be. Both concurred and we departed.

I remember walking down Colman St and Alan approached me and said to me once “I would like to accomplish something beyond the natural sciences and literature that I could impart to others who are close enough to be neighbors but far enough not to be overly neighborly, and when I say ‘Close enough’, I mean close, more in terms of pleasurable affinity and less in terms of measurable proximity. “ Later that day I walk walking down Colman street the opposite way when Kevin approached me and said something similar to what Alan had said, and although I may not have recognized the meaning of the similarity of their statements at that time, I did recall the vitality of their affirmation. Kevin stood across from me and said ‘I would like to achieve something further than the literary devices and naturalness of science, that I could convey to others who are far apart enough to not be overly neighborly, but close enough to be considered neighbors.’ and before I told him that I heard someone else say a very similar thing to me earlier from a slightly different direction, Kevin made my anxiety more alerting by continuing “ And when I say ‘Close enough’, I mean close, more in terms of pleasurable vitality and less in terms of measurable vicinity.’ When I revealed that I had heard something related to this statement before, Kevin somehow knew that I meant it was from Alan, but we both agreed there was no need for me to mention this at this time. Several minutes later I then knew that if, or when, these two were to convene together I would be there, someway if not to explain the similarity of the way they talk but the fraternal competitiveness they would experience. I left with this ultimatum and I would soon be the passive observer.

A week later I observed both Kevin and Alan in the same room at the hotel and they were discussing something that would be both educational and entertaining to those around them and if these two were like me in any way, offer both stimulating anxiety and enticing tenseness, butt the good kind, the type you use to motivate you to speak your mind and embrace the moments. I approached them and introduced myself as Charles and although this was the first time they where all three of us had met in the same place and spoke to each other, they looked at me like they knew I had seen them before. If these two had met briefly without realizing it, there was no need for me to know Kevin and Alan also looked at each other like they knew I had not spoken to either of them about the other, but that I might something to say if they divulged this information to me. Kevin approached me and said “Charles I was contacted by someone who worked from this hotel and he told me he had heard about some of the things I wanted to make known to others about what can offer in life and some of my attitudes of this and he wants me to speak at the public forum meeting today.” Alan then came closer and said “I was given the same opportunity from the same person and although he had heard my views or ideas were somewhat different than Kevin, they would serve a purpose.” I wished them both luck and we then I added in “If you guys ever need someone to explain or illuminate anything that occurs today, then I shall try to this.” They both confirmed rather quickly.

The three of us entered the room where the forum was to occur. The spokesman came in and pointed in our direction with anticipation and excitement and he spoke to Alan and Kevin and gave them their topic to discuss. Alan then shook Kevin’s hand to wish him luck and prepared himself for his talk. They each looked at the topic and thought about what he was going to say, but then glanced at each other like the other person would know that more vividly. I could also see that each would share in the celebration of his contribution, of not just himself, but of the other person who was to speak, and then they both looked at me to encourage me to stay around for anything that needs to be explained with both a firm and comforting hand. I was ware far as the first person to see them together, in a connection that would surpass mere position I was to be the first observer, and I would be ready, in a moment's notice.

         Alan walked up to the podium and looked at the audience and then looked down at his notes that he had prepared, and then spoke. He described his part time job and some of the duties he performed and demonstrated his desire to accomplish things beyond the natural science and literature and wished they he could inspire and motivate others to seek out their talents. He proclaimed his interest in helping others see their talents and overcome any obstacles that they have and how he would illustrate ways that they could use find their ability that may go beyond what they normally see. Then he paused a few seconds and began to describe an instance in his part time work where he had helped to discover a certain piece of information that would help prevent some misuse of data and how this informative process could be used to help others to encourage themselves to seek support. I remember his sincerity, his motivation, and his candor, but then I remember something that Alan had disclosed to us. He said that for a short period of time during his speech he felt more like how Kevin would feel if he had been in this situation and that he could see how it felt to show another’s point of view, and knew things Kevin knew.

         After Alan stepped down and received a short ovation, Kevin went up to the podium. He seemed to understand what Alan had said and showed no signs of doubting his display of emotion. Kevin began to describe his part time experience in school and what he had learned and how he hoped to use it for aiding others. Then, similar to Kevin, he talked about his aspiration for achieving things beyond the natural sciences and literature, and although his words were somewhat different from Alan, his ideas had a striking resemblance to his predecessor speaker. He had spoke for almost the same time as Alan when Kevin paused for a few seconds, and also described how in his part time course, he had helped discover a certain piece of information with close to the same purpose as Alan had described. He had a similar awe of energy and emotion and he Kevin described that for a short time period in his speech, he felt more like how Alan would feel if he had been involved in this event, and his recognition for feeling as another point of view. Kevin looked at Alan like he had not planned to say this, and then he looked at me like I may have to answer a couple of questions and this was an experience to be remembered by both for they both congratulated each other and sought a third party to watch closely.

         Kevin then returned to his seat after a short ovation and then the three of us went to the next room. I had reminded them of their reference to us being in the same room and having me there to explain things and they, as a family unit may do, let me make the first move to acknowledge this. Then Alan said “I guess Charles you did bear witness and let this bond take its course and now Kevin and I do feel closer." I both thanked them for remembering my input and cautioned them not to become too involved in this process and then I reminded them that their were indeed closer, and they knew that I knew what they felt, up to a point. Kevin then described to Alan his experience of seeing things as Alan did and knowing and relating information as if he were Alan, and for a brief time, he had felt that he was indeed related to Alan, in a more familiar context. Alan returned this family type account to Kevin and then they looked at me as if I knew but that that they would appreciate it more if I had learned about this emotional encounter at about the same pace as they did. I confided that I was not sure how much I was able to predict all this, and how much I was able to learn, on the job, or on the school notebook, whichever the case may be, and each knew what both types meant, for each had felt the affections of the other.

         As we were discussing the emotions and family ties that each felt, I reminded them that each had informed me the idea to be close enough. However  Kevin had recalled what he had felt about close enough, as more in terms of pleasurable affinity and less in terms of measurable proximity. “, which had been what Alan had said to me days earlier. Alan then explained his idea of close enough, recalling what he felt about this subject, as meaning close, more in terms of pleasurable affinity and less in terms of measurable proximity. “, which was the same thing that Kevin had said to me, seemingly only minutes apart from when Alan had said it. They now know that they had experienced a family type experience and each felt like he was part of a family of two. I decided to put them to the test by offering myself as source of inducement. Each expressed both competitiveness spirit and the contentment of resolving issues with each other and also took advantage of the chance to both praise and deride me. They allowed me in and then asked me politely, but rather firmly to leave them be and I reminded them of their newfound unity, which they accepted with a quick wit as they acknowledged their family type bond by giving me a polite exit option.

However, as we all began to leave I then stood up and spoke “You both certainly have experienced a family, almost brotherly type of experience, and the way you looked at each other, especially when you were looking at me shows that you have a special type of bond that each that you can share.” Both Alan and Kevin concurred with me and thanked me for my support and near total recall, but soon after, as a small family unit may do, each asked me to depart until further notice, while they both further celebrate the day. Perhaps they would go to a coffee shop on Coleman street, where it all started, but neither of us would admit to knowing that piece of trivia, for a few things would be better left unexplored. I was thankful that I could be a part of this experience, waved at Kevin and Alan as they left, and now I must, in good faith, take a back seat, and let Alan and Kevin do the steering.













February 05, 2021 19:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.