The Poison of Love

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story in which the same line recurs three times.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fantasy Romance

Some words should only be said in the most intimate of times. Times when both parties will remember the words forever, letting the memory dance as they fall asleep. For both Zamira and Kavvan, words haven’t passed that meet that degree. Both have lived a life of pure direction, with no affection or love insight. 

Zamira was a captain of one of the most infamous ships. She had found the land by accident while trying to find the lost city of Atlantis. When they landed here, she had promised to stay for a week. As they explored this unknown city, she fell in love. She met the king at a Gala, she met Kavvan at the Gala. 

Kavan was the king of the unknown city, though to him this had always been home. He had led them since he was a teenager, growing with it in adulthood. When the crew of a pirate ship had appeared on his shore he welcomed them with open arms. He invited them to a Gala, suggested they explore the city in the meantime. He met the captain at the Gala, he met Zamira at the Gala. 

When they met they recognized the loss in each other, and it drew them closer. The overwhelming pressure of leading, of being the eyes to an operation out of your control. Eventually, Zamira had asked him to a picnic, only after talking for a few moments. In those moments, they lived a lifetime together. 

They shared details of the home, of childhood, and the life they wished they had. This made them feel affection they hadn’t felt, something they didn’t know they were capable of feeling. When Zamira asked, Kavvan already knew he would do anything to make sure they lived their lives together. If that meant a picnic, then of course he would agree. 

***

  Zamira laughed as Kavvan told another corny joke, one that shouldn’t have been told in such a public setting. The picnic had lasted long until the evening, the setting sun had left the field bright with warmed colors. Food had been forgotten about by now, and laughter had filled the silence. 

After the four ‘that’s what she said’ joke, the stars gleamed from the heavens. Zamira hadn’t been very keen on staying up late. She had wanted to go home and watch a movie with her family. Yet, Kavvan had promised the stars would be magical, and she had agreed. 

He hadn’t lied, and she was grateful. The stars shone brightly, looking like fish in another endless ocean. One that Zamira hadn’t studied yet, one she hadn’t explored. She was excited to investigate this new ocean with Kavan. She looked toward Kavvan, he was already looking at her. 

“You look so beautiful right now. Your eyes reflect the stars, and I feel like I can see more in your eyes than the entire galaxy,” he said softly, reaching for her hand. She grasped his hand and began to rub his knuckles. 

“I love you,” she whispered, her breath stopping once she realized what she said. Zamira let go of Kavvans hand, looking toward the ground. He looked at her, then gently lifted her chin. 

“I love you too. I thought you didn’t feel the same way,” Kavan said, his voice was softer than it had been all night. Zamiras heart fluttered, and she leaned into his hand. 

They fell asleep under the stars, holding each other throughout the night. 

***

Over the months, there were many whispered nights, and eventually a blossoming relationship. Days were spent in the field listening to the chirping birds, and nights were spent watching the stars. 

Even when the occasional fight broke out, the two would reconcile within hours. Never lasting long away from each other. They flourished together and became irritated when apart. Though more Kavvan than wasn’t Zamira, he had become reliant on Zamiras snarky comments to keep his anger at bay. 

This seemed to worry Zamira and she was determined to help him find his peace, even when she wasn’t there. 

She had come up with the idea of painting, a relaxing way to get their minds off the world. Kavan had been overjoyed by the idea, and immediately rushed to the shops to buy the most luxurious shops. Though he did falter when she said she wouldn’t be heading to the store with him. Besides that, the day had gone amazing.

Turns out Kavvan was quite the painter, especially when painting Zamira. He seemed to be able to catch the way that her hair fluttered in the wind. Exactly how her eyes sparkled in the sunlight and made her eyes a glistening hazel. He watched her etch the sketch of her design, minimally adding things to his own drawing 

She looked up at him and smiled when she saw his soft look. 

“Is there something wrong?” she asked, her eyes drifted to his painting. Her heart fluttered, and she seemed to get lost in her own eyes. The painting was more than what she had imagined, he made her look like a goddess without erasing any blemish. 

“Of course not Darling, I was simply just taking inspiration for my painting,” he complied, smirking at her amazed expression. He added a freckle he hadn’t noticed before. He looked at her once more, and she gazed at him. 

“I love you.” they both said at the same time, Zamiras a whisper and Kavvans a declaration. They laughed at the moment, basting in the moments that shine. 

Zamira recovered first, and a moment of bitterness filled her. She knew this wouldn’t last forever. Eventually, she would have to leave and make her way to the sea. She had a crew to lead, he had an empire, this could never be forever. 

She had to tell him, she had to warn him that she would be leaving soon. Zamira had to prepare herself, to leave the man she had dreamed to marry. 

“Kavan, we need to talk.” she addressed, knowing this wouldn’t be easy. His heart dropped, he had messed up. “I might be leaving soon to continue my mission.” 

He looked at her broken face, she wasn’t lying. But he wanted her to stay, he was a king, he always got what he wanted. He didn’t understand why she couldn’t give up this dream. It was for sure she would find Atalantis, but marrying him could be forever. They could settle down in the palace, she wouldn’t have to work a day in her life. 

“I just don’t think I understand,” Kavan admitted, after a few moments of pondering. Zamira looked confused by his statement, she didn’t think there was much to understand. “Why don’t you want to stay?”

Zamira faltered and chose her words carefully. 

“I do want to stay, but I have this mission. I would have wasted all that time if I didn’t finish it. It had nothing to do with you.” she replied, fiddling with the sleeves of her coat. This wasn’t the stress reliever date she had hoped for. 

Kavan looked at Zamiras’s broken face, clearly wanting to comfort her. He restrained, an idea started to formulate in his head, if she wanted to stay to then he could make her stay. 

***

After a few weeks, Zamira decided it was time to continue her quest. She alerted Kavvan, and he deemed to have no quarry with the idea. They had promised each other, after painting, that Zamira would come back after her mission. This promise appeases Kavvan, and afterward, he seemed to be much calmer with the proposal of her leaving. 

When Zamira had announced her departure, he only asked she had one last date with him. Hastily, she agreed, they hadn’t had a date since painting and Kavvan had begun to recluse from her. Leaving her without a kiss, never coming to say goodnight, not holding her hand when walking the grounds. Zamira had stalked it up to the Gala that was in a few weeks. He must be becoming nervous with all the preparations. 

The date was set at the palace, they would be having dinner before they head to the beach, where Zamira would be heading off. Maybe some dancing would take place or a declaration of love. 

Zamira had gotten an elegant dress from the tailor with beads and amazing colors, and perfect for dancing later. The fabric was silk, and her jewelry was fine gems from the ocean. Her hair had been braided and intertwined with ribbons and clips. Her makeup was natural and only highlighted her already natural beauty. 

Zamira walked down the elegant staircase, that led to the entryway of the palace, Kavvan’s eyes lit up and his heart began to flutter. He made sure the box was securely in his pocket before heading to see her. He dipped his head, and kissed her hand, Zamira giggled at the romantic gesture, her head becoming fuzzy. 

“Shall we head to the dining room my darling?” he advised, Zamira laughed as they walked hand-in-hand. The dining room was decorated with small trinkets from the sea, shells, dried sponges, and multitudes of jewels and gems. Zamira’s jaw dropped as they walked through the door and Kavvan squeezed her hand. “Only the best for you my dear.” 

They sat in the thrones at the end of the table, which had a coral centerpiece, and dinner was set immediately. Zamira had never really gotten used to the servants at the palace, she was used to doing things for herself. Making her own meals, and picking up her own plates, the months in the palace began to make that idea seem foreign. 

Zamira sighed and realized it would just be another thing she would miss at the palace. Kavan looked at her downcast expression and put a hand on her shoulder. This shook Zamira out of her thoughts and turned to face Kavan. 

“Sorry, I was just realizing how much I’m going to miss about the palace,” Zamira admitted, grabbing Kavvan’s hand from her shoulder. He nodded and reached for his fork. 

“Well Darling, I can promise we will miss you just as much. And you don’t have to go, you could always stay.” Kavvan offered hopefully, holding on till the last moment. Zamira shook her head and looked to her empty plate. 

“I have to go back. My family has been searching for Atlantis for so long if I stop now I’ll be giving up on my dreams,” she said, whispering the last part to herself. Kavan squeezed her hand and went into his pocket to fiddle with the box. 

“Of course Darling, whatever you believe is right. Oh, it seems you have some broccoli in your teeth. Why don’t you go to the bathroom and get it.” Kavan said he needed everything to be perfect. Zamira looked puzzled for a moment, she hadn’t had any dinner yet. Embarrassed she got up for the bathroom, praying it wasn’t a part of her lunch. 

Kavan watched as she left, he made sure to watch her close the door. The guards were just posted outside, he knew they would be there when he called. He pulled the box out of his pocket, getting the vial that rested inside. 

He had made sure the poison wouldn’t kill her, only leave her immobile for a few days. He would convince the kingdom she had died, then he would lock her in the palace. Where she would be safe and would not have to worry about a silly adventure again. She would live with everything she needs inside these very walls, including himself. 

He smiled as he dripped three drops into her cup, the color changed to purple then clear. Kavan let out a heavy sigh as he sat back down, he would soon get everything he wanted. His wife, his love, his life he would finally be able to rest easy. Knowing they would have no more silly distractions, like adventures, or long-time family promises. 

Zamira walked back into the room, she smiled when she saw him. His face was practically gleaming. 

“What’s that face for?” Zamira asked as she sat down smoothing her napkin across her lap.

“Oh nothing, I was just memorized by your beauty.” he lied, he reached for his own glass. 

“Thank you. Though I must say that tie really does entice your eyes,” she whispered, reaching for her own glass. 

“I love you,” he said, as she sipped from the glass he poisoned. Zamira blushed and took a helping of potatoes. But her hand was numb, and her head felt fuzzy. 

“Oh gosh, I really don’t feel well.” she wheezed, her breathing became labored and her voice sounded hoarse. Kavan reached for her hand, he didn’t seem nearly as worried as her. Panic rushed through Zamira as she started to cough into a napkin he had handed her. She felt faint like the world was rushing and she couldn’t catch up. Her vision blurred before everything went dark. 

Kavan held her as she passed out, before dropping her to the floor. The thump made his heart squeeze, he hoped he hadn’t broken anything. 

“Guards!” he yelled, making sure his voice sounded panicked. “Lady Zamira has passed out!”

Guards swarmed the room within seconds, one called for a healer, and the others lifted her. Kavan requested she be taken to his quarters, the healers could treat her there. The guards obliged, and Kavan watched as they exited the room, and he reached for the vial. 

He stared down at it for a moment, before looking back towards the door. 

“Now we can start our story, my love,” he whispered to himself.

July 09, 2021 20:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.