0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Funny

The bungalow ROMOLA was old but spacious with many windows and a large garden. It was on the outskirts of the city and had been built with a high roof such that the heat outside wouldn’t seep in and windows such that sunlight wouldn’t overly brighten up the inside. Daly had his eye on the bungalow and decided it would be the ideal place for his wedding. The guests could be accommodated within and events such as garden parties could be held in the spacious garden with place for an orchestra. Daly knew the bungalow was vacant and had been told it would be one day demolished to make way for a star hotel. He approached the owner who was willing to rent it out as furnished for 3 months. Daly accepted and the deal was finalised.

Daly was a software engineer and had returned after a spell of work in the USA and had the money. He moved in and found that the building had been well-maintained and had only a few bats hanging oustside windows besides lizards, but what he didn’t know was that there were 2 more inmates! They were Tom and his wife Lily. Tom had been an inspector of police and had had a motorbike with a sidecar in which Lily would travel. One night, after he had consumed one drink too many, Tom who had been riding his motorbike with Lily, speeded up and lost his balance with the pull of the sidecar in which Lily was seated. The vehicle hit a tree and fell into a ditch. That was the end of the human lives of Tom and Lily as they had now attained the fourth dimension! ROMOLA was nearby which was empty and the two took up abode there.

Lily said in their dead language “This Daly is a nuisance. He seems to like my room where I hang around in the shadows within. I wish I could evict him.”

Tom said “Do as you please. I am going to wander around as usual.”

Lily said “I know how to handle the situation without you since my ectoplasm is high. Due to it my touch is restored. Bye!”

Now a little introduction to where the matters stand: Daly was a tall handsome man with a clean shaven face. He fell in love with Marge, a colleague, and it was expected they would get married. However it so  happened that Daly met Angel a TV personality. It wasn’t his intention to dump Marge and marry Angel. Somehow it so happened that he had to escort Angel to visit someone in a hospital and they had eats in a restaurant. The news went to Marge who dumped Daly. Following this he accepted Angel. He had invited Marge also to his wedding and she had agreed to be there.

Now Daly received his first guests. They were the Benjys with their daughter Angel whom he was to marry. They settled in the room allotted. However there was confusion about where they had placed their belongings. Benjy found that his phone wasn’t in the same place where he had placed it. Angel asked “Dad, did you shift my dress?”

“No. I didn’t.”

“I had placed the box containing my dress on the corner table but now I find it near the cupboard.”

“May be your mom shifted it.”

She wasn’t convinced and merely said “She is in her bath. I’ll ask her.”

The mother later said “Don’t worry too much about it as long as our possessions haven’t been stolen”

The next to arrive was Marge. She was as tall and good looking as Angel and inwardly wasn’t reconciled to Daly marrying  Angel. Daly received her almost apologetically as he had longed for her. Escorting her to her room he said “Marge I’m sure you’ll find this place comfortable.”

She said “It’s undoubtedly spacious. Let me open that window and ....”

She stopped abruptly and said “Daly my charming man! I never knew you would pinch me there. I’m also reminded of the....”

Daly said “Marge what’re you saying?”

“You’ve never done that before. I suppose you want to practice before going ahead with Angel.”

“I’m innocent.”

“I forgive you for taking out Angel. I’ll tell her to get lost so that you’ll be mine and mine alone. How abruptly you pinched me before I could open the window! No one has dared to pinch me there. You did it very well. It shows you still love me.” She smothered him with kisses.

He said “I didn’t do anything. Marge I don’t understand.”

“You will. You will. I’ll get you out of Angel’s clutches. I’m now on the war path. I’m going to tick off that Angel. I’ll accept you back. When you come next you’ll see me in my new dress. Or would you like to see me you know dressless?”

Daly was totally surprised and said “You freshen up. I’ll come again and take you to breakfast.”

Meanwhile Angel and family were ready for breakfast. Angel was fabulously dressed and glowing as the TV personality that she was. She said “Take my parents first and then come for me. I want to go only with you.”

Daly returned when he saw Marge had come and was talking to Angel. Seeing Daly, Marge said “I was just telling Angel that I want you back. Angel, I won’t let you steal my old love.” Angel looked surpsrised. Marge continued “Do you remember the song ‘Can I kiss you there?’ Daly almost did it just a little while ago. Only he didn’t kiss but pinched me there.  And i was thrilled at how gently and accurately he did it. I won’t let him go. You must find someone else for you.”

Daly said “I am innocent.”

Marge said “That is what he has been saying. Within himself he knows the old memories with me were kindled and he chose to do what he did.” Now a fist fight between the women followed leaving both with torn clothes. Daly couldn’t really separate the duo.

Marge shouted “Daly, I’m fighting for you. Remember it.”

Both women had to change. Fred who had been courting Angel now arrived and went with her. Fred had been an unsuccessful suitor due to Daly.

 Marge said “Daly, why are you denying what you had done. I liked your guts. Come with me. I’ll get dressed again and we can go to breakfast.”

Just as they entered her room she looked startled and said “You did it again. You naughty fellow don’t say you didn’t! I approve of what you have done.”

And it came to pass Marge married Daly and Fred got Angel for wife.

Lily was waiting in the shadows when Tom breezed in. She said in their language “There’re now two newly married couples here. I don’t want to be here any more as I’m shy. Let us shift to the barn till Daly clears out.”

END

May 05, 2021 14:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.