5 comments

Suspense

(This is part 4 of a story written under a different category)

Kingston and I were watching a weird cartoon from the 80s. It was my mom’s idea for us to spend a little more time together and apparently I’d had no time to spend with Kingston because I’d been hanging out with Isabella every day. Someone rang the doorbell. 

“Who could be here this late?” I wondered aloud, “It’s almost eleven.”

“I’ll get it,” Kingston said quickly and jumped up from his chair to answer the front door.

“Kathleen, it’s your friend.” I went to join Kingston at the door and I saw Isabella standing there.

“Hey, Bella, what’s going on?”

“Can we talk?” she asked me. 

“Sure.” We both headed outside onto the porch. Isabella burst into tears.

“What’s the matter?”

“Let’s get out of here, Kathleen, you and me.”

“Woah, what are you talking about Isabella?”

“I need to get away,” she said, “And I want to take you with me.”

“Where is this coming from? I thought you loved it here.”

“It’s not the place that matters, Kathy, I just need to get away from them.”

“Who?” I asked

“My family, I’ve had enough of this. I can’t take it anymore.”

“Had enough of what?”

“Everything. I have to leave now.”

“Isabella, answer me. What happened?” I said. She choked back her tears.

“Two years ago we joined them, and there was no going back,” she cried

“Please elaborate on that,” I said.

“Daphne and Lincoln. They’ve always been my brother and sister but no one else.”

“What do you mean?” I asked her.

“We were looking for food and money and we crossed paths with him.”

“Who’d you cross paths with?” I inquired.

“Eric. Him and most of the others. We wanted money but he told us to join his family instead. We didn’t say no because Thomas, or dad, and Andre were threatening us. He could kill people.”

“Andre or your dad?” 

“Both of them,” Isabella said, “But especially Eric. He was in charge, and he was so scary. We couldn’t say no.”

“So the Simpnoias aren’t your real family?”

“No, they’re not. They’re all criminals. Fugitives.”

“Oh man.”

“And we were unlucky enough to get involved with them,” she cried.

“What’s the purpose of you pretending to be a family?” I asked her.

“It’s this sick dream of Eric’s to have the perfect family. It’s because his family didn’t love him or something. His dad was killed by his mom who was thrown in jail, and he killed his sister himself.

“No way,” I gasped.

“And we’re here because of this place’s nonexistent reputation,” she sighed, “I hate it here too, last night Eric was furious with me for staying out too long. He locked me in my room. I had to climb out my window just now.”

“Oh gosh.”

“So let’s get out of here, Kathleen. You and me. We can go far, far away and never have to think about Jimonrat again.”

“I can’t do it, Isabella.”

“Come on, Kathy. I know how much you hate it here. You said it yourself.”

“I can’t leave my mom and my brother.”

“You’ll see them again. Please, Kathy, this is the only thing that can save me. He’ll kill me for leaving again, I know he will.” 

“What will we do once we’re out of here? And where will we go?” I demanded.

“We’ll figure it out, I know we will. I won’t let you down, Kathleen.”

It was so much to take in, my mind was crowded and my heart was racing. The thought of actually leaving Jimonrat? It’s all I’d ever wanted. But leaving my mom and Kingston? I didn’t know if I could handle that. They love it here, and I don’t, maybe it was for the best that we split up. It had never been a plan of mine to stay here, I guessed it would’ve happened eventually.

“What do I bring?” I asked.

“The clothes on your back.” My jaw dropped. “Thank you so much, Kathleen. You won’t regret this. I already booked a sailboat to take us to Rhode Island at 11:30. If we run we can make it.” Isabella wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Wait, can’t I bring my phone at least?” I begged.

“We’ll get new phones, and new names, it’ll be perfect.” Isabella grabbed my arm and we ran in the direction of the sailboat company. I looked back at my house, my eyes filled with tears. I’m sorry mom, and I’m sorry Kingston, but I have to go now. We’ll meet again soon. 

We got to the dock and breathed a sigh of relief that we made it just in time. 

“294,” Isabella said to the man in the ticket booth who was playing a game on his phone.

“That’ll be 24 dollars,” the sour man said. Isabella handed over some change and the man pointed us in the direction of one of the sailboats. “Your captain will be out in a moment.”

“Thank you,” we said.

“Hey, aren’t you one of those Simpnoia kids?”

“No, I think you have me mistaken for somebody else.” The man shrugged and continued playing his game.

“No instructions? Jeez,” Isabella muttered to me.

“You told him you’re not a Simpnoia, everyone else is familiar with what to do.” Isabella followed me into the boat. We talked as we waited for the captain to arrive. It was really dark outside, and there was a cold breeze blowing. I was in my pajamas, but Isabella had it worse because she was wearing a nightgown.

“We’re gonna get out, Kathleen. We’re actually doing this,” she cried.

“Yeah, it’s a rush.” I shivered from the cold and my nerves.

“There’s the captain,” Isabella said, nodding in the direction of the dark figure that was heading towards us. He sat down at the front of the boat with his back to us without saying a word. He creeped me out a lot. I couldn’t speak to Isabella, my nerves were so extreme I couldn’t function. The captain started rowing, slowly and ominously. We sailed out a few miles, and then he put the oars up and turned to face us. I couldn't see his face but Isabella could.

“No,” she whispered, “How?” I heard muffled tears coming from her side of the boat. Suddenly, the light from a distant lighthouse shone on the captain’s face. Eric.

“Girls, I’m sorry but I think there was a bit of a mix-up down by the sailboats. I’m not a captain, how could they make me row a boat?” He frowned, “And Isabella doesn’t get to leave Jimonrat and her family behind. Isn’t that right Bella?”

Isabella was crying loudly then, and I was frightened out of my mind.

“I said isn’t that right!” he yelled and stood up in our tiny sailboat.

“Yes,” Isabella cried.

“That’s right. And what do I do to brothers and sisters and moms and dads who try to leave their poor family behind?” Isabella was crying hysterically at that point.

“Answer me!”

“You kill them,” she said through tears.

“That’s right, I kill them.” He edged closer to Bella. I couldn’t speak and I couldn’t move, we were in a tiny boat in the middle of the ocean. There was nowhere to run. 

“Bye-bye Bella,” Eric said with a grin. I shut my eyes and heard screams followed by a splash. Then the screams were indulged by water. I felt tears running down my face. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t help her, I couldn’t help myself. Eric sat back down to face me.

“Well, it’s quite unfortunate you had to witness that, but there are more important things to discuss. Now that Isabella’s gone we’re back to nine. Nine’s not good enough. I need ten.”

He stared at me and didn’t break his gaze. I wondered what the heck he meant.

(Thank you so much to anyone who made it this far, I really appreciate it. Leave a comment and let me know what you think about the story :)

June 05, 2021 03:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Phebe Emmanuel
00:45 Jun 17, 2021

Hey, I have to say that I haven't read the story, but I did read your bio, and I'm also in 8th grade (we're rule breaker buddies! :)

Reply

Esther :)
03:23 Sep 05, 2021

Me too! Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Esther :)
03:23 Sep 05, 2021

Great job! Read your bio! I’m also in school still lol. What school do you go to? 😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Somegenius Kid
05:01 Jun 17, 2021

Also, I LOVE your bio! I'll make sure to check your page everyday in case of a new story or update on your bio!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Somegenius Kid
04:59 Jun 17, 2021

Love all your stories!!! I usually don't read every single story but I sure did for yours!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.