A FOREST OF MYSTERY
 by Laura Molina Arango

Submitted into Contest #146 in response to: Write about a character discovering a surprising strength in either themself or another.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Adventure Fantasy

The young kit looked up to see her mother gazing down affectionately at her, but there was something in her eyes that suggested that not everything was well. The tabby kit noticed her father wasn’t in the nursery, as per usual, so she meowed “Where’s Dad, Ma?” Moon Feather’s eyes darkened as she tried to make her tone sound cheerful, “Oh! He is....off somewhere, don’t worry about it Fern Kit.” Fern Kit frowned but said nothing, instead nestling into her mother’s side and falling asleep within moments. 


“Moon Feather!”, the noise of a cat calling her mother from outside woke Fern Kit up. She got up and stalked after her, remembering to keep to the shadows of the thorny brambles where her cream coloured pelt would not be so easily spotted. “Moon Feather!” The voice called again, and this time she recognised it as Lily Star. “Coming, Lily Star!”, her mother responded. She watched as Moon Feather padded towards Lily Star, her fur on end. She watched eagerly as the dappled clan leader murmured softly, “I’m sorry about Leaf Claw’s death, he was an amazing deputy and will forever be remembered by all Clans.” With those words, she froze. Moon Feather sighed and nodded, "He was a great father too, I wish he could see Fern Kit and Shrew Kit grow up into warriors....” Her mother trailed off as if it was all too painful to say. The kit ran back to the nursery, dismay and fear filling her, her heart thudding painfully in her chest. So, she didn’t notice her brother, Shrew Kit as she banged into him. “Sis? What happened?” Shrew Kit asked curiously, not knowing how devastating the answer was. "L... Leaf C.. Claw! H...He’s gone!” Fern Kit cried out, she was all too young for this, she was only six moons! And besides, Leaf Claw was an amazing fighter, whatever had killed him must have been extremely strong. What will happen to me and Shrew Kit?! She thought anxiously, worried for herself and her brother. “W...what? H..He c..cant be!” The tom kit mewed, his eyes widening and filling with distress, shaking his head as if to deny the fact.

Moon Feather padded into the nursery and saw her two kits huddled together, worry filling her face “What happened?” She meowed softly. "I... I saw y..you and L...Lily Star d..discussing Leaf Claws d.. death!” Fern Kit cried out, and she leaned against her mother for support, feeling as if the world was spinning out of her control. How did Leaf Claw die? He didn’t deserve to die! He deserved to watch her and Shrew Kit grow up and- and- "Oh Fern Kit... you shouldn’t have heard that, both of you...” Moon Feather murmured, interrupting her thoughts. “What will we do now?” Fern Kit wailed, the sheer thought of becoming an apprentice without her father horrified her, it seemed so….wrong. “We’ll find a way to live without him” Moon Feather responded, her voice dull. Fern Kit looked up to see her mother’s eyes glistening with unshed tears, her soft grey fur rippling with distress and sadness. She pushed her nose into her mother’s chest fur, muffling the shaky sob that escaped her muzzle. Moon Feather pulled the siblings close, hugging them tightly. Fern Kit felt her brother trembling against her, and her mother’s chest rising and falling rapidly. She pressed herself against Moon Feather, the warmth from her and Shrew Kit’s bodies eventually lulling her to sleep.


“Wake up Fern Kit” Shrew Kit was nosing her, and his eyes were bright with excitement, much more like his usual self than how subdued he was yesterday. “We are becoming apprentices today!” He whispered loudly, so as to not disturb Sedge Heart, who had moved into the nursery last night. The kitten purred happily and sprung up, her father’s death temporarily forgotten. Moon Feather gave them each a few quick licks before they heard the summoning calls “May all cats gather beneath High Rock for a Clan Meeting!” As all the cats began to pad out of their dens, Fern Kit thought, I wonder who will be my mentor, Dusk Speck would be a good one, but she is really serious, maybe Grey Flight, she is quite fun and nice! "Who do you think your mentor will be?” She whispered to her brother as they waited for the rest of the clan to arrive. Shrew Kit answered, "Hmm I want Snake Storm to mentor me! He’s really friendly and thinks of fun training exercises!” Fern Kit whispered "I want Grey Flight, she’s really nice and fun!” Before Shrew Kit could respond, Moon Feather nudged both of them forward, in the middle of the circle of cats. Lily Star meowed loudly "We are gathered here, today, to welcome two new apprentices. Shrew Kit, step forward. Shrew Kit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you will be called Shrew Paw. Your mentor will be....” She gazed around the cats before her green gaze landed on Snake Storm. "Snake Storm, you are a brave and smart warrior, you will mentor Shrew Paw. I expect you to pass on all you know to him” “Shrew Paw! Shrew Paw! Shrew Paw! "Fern Kit and the rest cats called out joyfully, their voices ringing around the Wind Clan camp. Shrew Paw gave his chest fur a couple of quick licks before padding up to Snake Storm and touching noses with him, his eyes shining with pride and happiness. Lily Star waited for the clan to quiet down before she meowed "Fern Kit, step forward.” Fern Kit stepped forward, her fur rippling nervously. She lifted her head to gaze at Lily Star, and the leader met her gaze, a small smile appearing on her muzzle. She shifted her paws before sitting down and curling her tail around her. Lily Star continued "Fern Kit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you will be called Fern Paw. Your mentor shall be Spotted Frost. Spotted Frost, you are a quick witted and courageous warrior and I expect you to pass down all you know to young Fern Paw” As Lily Star finished, joyful caterwauling broke out in the clearing "Fern Paw! Fern Paw! Fern Paw!” Fern Paw could hear her brother’s voice ringing out clearly and she purred before padded over to Spotted Frost and touching noses with her. "Congratulations, Fern Paw” Spotted Frost murmured, and Fern Paw grinned up at her. The previous day’s events were forgotten for the moment, her apprenticeship ceremony putting it out of her mind.

--

Laura Molina Arango - Singapore

May 20, 2022 11:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

David Wu
20:17 May 26, 2022

How do you even write like that? Good story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anissa Waterman
17:29 May 24, 2022

What a good story. I enjoyed it. Different.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.