1 comment

Fantasy Friendship Funny

It all began when the cricket ball hit me and I wasn’t even batting. It was the company’s annual cricket match, where all the men and women compete against each other. Everybody took part, and the teams weren’t segregated. Instead, women played alongside men from the same branch and quite a few of the women outperformed their male colleagues. It was just as well I thoroughly enjoyed this company event as I’m not a company man.

I was a bowler and a fast one. . They feared my bowling among the other teams and I didn’t spare the ladies in opposing teams. When my turn came to bowl, the ball burnt its way down the pitch towards the wicket. Anticipating my victory, I raised both arms above my head when the batsman hit the ball and it hit me on the forehead, right between the eyes. I went down like a sack of potatoes.

I was only unconscious for a minute or two, but they carried me off to the first aid station and deposited me on a chair. The paramedic fussed over me for a few minutes, taking my pulse, peering into my eyes, then declared me out of danger. He gave me a beer, told me not to move and watch the game. I must admit, it was a pleasant afternoon, and I had a perfect view of the match, but my head was pounding.

A young woman moved in and blocked my view, interrupting my enjoyment. I guessed she was in her early twenties and here I had to blink my eyes. She appeared to be wearing horse riding breeches. She had lovely curly brown hair and, although I could only see her back, I was sure the front would be just as nice.

My head was pounding badly. I gave up the chance to start a conversation and, with a hint of irritation, said,” Excuse me, miss, but you’re blocking my view.”

She turned around with a look of absolute surprise on her face.

‘You can see me,’ she said, eyes wide open. I had been right. The front was rather nice.

“Of course i can,” I replied, thinking she was being sarcastic, “what do you think you are? A ghost.”

A look of sadness came over her face.

“Well, no, not yet. I’m a disembodied spirit, actually.”

“Whatever do you mean?’ I asked.

“I’m lying in a coma in the hospital. I fell off a horse. My helmet came off, and I hit my head on a rock. I forgot to fasten the straps, silly me. I’ve been in a vegetative state ever since. They’ve taken me off of life support and now I’m just waiting to die.”

She said all this with a such a serious face that I felt inclined to believe her, however, I still could not see the match.

“Sit down beside me. That way, we both can see the game.”

The young woman complied and sat in the seat next to me.

“You don’t seem to be upset?”

Before she answered, the other team hit a six, and she jumped up cheering and shouting. Smiling, she sat back down.

“I’m not,” she answered. ‘I’ve accepted it. It’s been a year now and I’m tired. It’s very lonely being a disembodied spirit.”

“How did you find out?”

“I woke up in a hospital bed. I tried to speak to the nurses, but they couldn’t hear me, so I stood up. It was quite a shock when I saw myself on the bed, with wires and tubes coming out of me. I looked so peaceful.”

“What have you been doing all this time?”

“Watching equestrian events and going to cricket matches. It’s frustrating. I can only go in horse riding gear. I can’t change clothes and I’m stuck with these. I used to go to cricket matches in a white top and shorts.”

At this point, she gave me a radiant smile.

“I looked so good in these short. I have lovely legs. I’m proud of my legs. Now I can’t show them to anyone.”

“Can’t other people see you?”

" If they’re just about to die or really insane, but I stay away from them. Too scary and depressing.”

“Well, I’m not dying or insane and I can see you.”

“Your not insane, but you could be dying. How do you know you’re not? That’s quite a lump on your head. I bet the blood is building up in your skull, putting pressure on your brain.”

I felt a sudden burst of panic, then she burst into laughter.

“Just kidding. You will not die yet, but that is an impressive lump on your forehead. Pity though. It was a fantastic bowl you pitched.”

“I bet you get great seats at the matches.’

“Yes. I’ve seen some superb cricket matches. Been to the SCG. Stood right next to the umpire.”

“Can you touch things?”

“No. Look?”

A handsome man was just passing by and she went to grope his bottom. Her hand just passed through him.

“Can you touch me?” I asked.

She put her hand on the lump on my head. It felt wonderful, soft and cool, but a worried frown crossed her face.

“Something doesn’t feel right,’ she said, then the world spun. I put my hand out to grasp her hand but felt a large thigh instead. Then a loud voiced yelled, “What do you think you’re doing?”

The world stopped spinning. Then a great hairy face filled my vision.

“I don’t know what you’re doing with your hand, son, but do it somewhere else.”

He stormed off, and the world went black.

I woke up in a hospital bed, and the pounding had gone. I glanced sideways and the young woman was there.

“Am i going to die?” I asked. She laughed lightly.

“No,” she replied,” they relieved the pressure on your brain. They’re quite good doctors here, but I will be gone in about ten minutes.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I’m glad you could see me and I enjoyed the cricket match, but it’s time for me to go. Close your eyes”

I did, and she stood up, leaned over and kissed me. I’ll never forget that kiss. Soft, moist lips that blended into mine and her tongue, sweet and soft. It seemed to go on forever but it was only a few minutes till I opened my eyes. She was gone.

The four-bed ward I was in was very quiet and something made me look at the bed in the corner, surrounded by curtains. A nurse came by, a large Islander who reminded me of my mother.

“Are you ok, sonny?”

At that moment, the curtains parted and a sobbing woman came out with a man supporting her arm around her waist. Together, they walked out of the ward.

“Who was that?”

“Their daughter has just passed away. She had been on life support for the past year. They turned it off a couple of days ago.”

I lay back on the bed. I didn’t even know her name.

May 19, 2022 03:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cindy Strube
04:26 May 27, 2022

Coming from Critique Circle- This is a clever story. Enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.