2 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

Captain Hardy Messerschmidt and Rush Davenport are the last two pilots to enter the briefing room.

The dull grey walls are lined with photographs of smiling dead pilots, and Hardy can’t help but notice there are more men on the walls than in the room.

“The whole squad is here,” Hardy notes. “This can’t be good news.”

Rush pats him on his broad back. “Don’t be so grim. Whatever it is, I’m sure you’ll pledge your blind loyalty. Maybe the brass has decided to throw a party for us.”

Hardy gives Rush a disparaging look. Unlike his happy-go-lucky fellow pilot, Hardy is willing to acknowledge that the five-year struggle between the imperialistic planet of Titan and his democratic home world of Zendiria has turned decidedly in their enemy’s favor.

Square-shouldered and buff from his punishing daily workouts, Hardy is the Zendiria Space Force’s most accomplished pilot, with fourteen kills to his credit. His close-cropped hair, crystal blue eyes, and dimpled jaw reflect his rigid beliefs and unwavering faith that Zendiria will win the war against the Titans.

Known for his glib tongue, dark-haired Rush Davenport has equally sharp, striking features. Rush’s perpetual smile has helped buoy the spirits of his fellow pilots, particularly the awkward and boyish Ariel Deeds, a recent arrival at the base.

Colonel Orion Kettering enters, stiffly saluting his men. Compact and husky, with bushy eyebrows that seem perpetually locked together in a no-nonsense V, Colonel Kettering is a battle-tested, twenty-seven-year veteran of Zendiria’s space force.

“I called you here today because our backs are against the wall. At this very moment, the Titans have a mothership hovering above Petain, our largest settlement, ready to annihilate it. Over fifty thousand Zendirian pioneers face annihilation. Once they conquer Petain, their next step will be to bomb Zendiria into submission. It’s our job to stop them. Because we’ve been cut off from our supply lines, we’re low on fuel and ammunition, and our remaining fighters are badly in need of repair. That’s why the Titans will be unprepared when we crash our fighters into their mothership and destroy it.”

The Colonel’s announcement is met with stunned, pale-faced silence.

“I think someone’s been sneaking goofy juice into the officer’s mess,” Rush says to Hardy.

“I heard that, Davenport,” Colonel Kettering says. “You need to learn how to whisper.”

“Begging the Colonel’s pardon, but you’re talking suicide,” Rush counters.

“No, Davenport. I’m talking sacrifice. I know you’re close to your mother. Would you give your life to save her?”

“You bet.”

“And you, Captain Messerschmidt, would you volunteer for a mission that could save your family and the millions of inhabitants of our home world?”

“Sign me up.”

“Spoken like a true patriot,” Colonel Kettering says. “Captain Messerschmidt knows there’s a place in Canaan for him alongside the other brave men and women who sacrificed their lives to make Zendiria one of the greatest civilizations in our galaxy…Our home world has a long, illustrious military history dating back centuries to when our ancestors left the planet Earth…”

Colonel Kettering casts a circumspect eye in Ariel Deeds’ direction.

“The playground is back on Zendiria. How old are you, son?”

“Eighteen.”

“Can you cope with not seeing nineteen?”

“Yes, sir! I want my place in Canaan!”

“You idiot,” Rush whispers in his ear. “He was giving you a way out.”

“Maybe I don’t want one.”

“Your personal life must really suck.”

“I firmly believe this tactic will turn the tide of the war,” Colonel Kettering continues.

Devin Hempstead, Colonel Ketterings’s bespectacled, compassionate aide, flinches. His downcast expression says he doesn’t believe the Colonel.

"When you crash your plane into the Titan mothership, you‘ll feel proud knowing you’ve accomplished the most important mission in our history. Sweet memories of childhood, friends, and family will fill your mind. Then you’ll see the gates of Canaan open for you.”

“How does he know?” Rush asks Hardy.

Even though their insides have turned to jelly, the pilots hurrah in agreement.

Rush lets out a brief chuckle.

“I was thinking about a name for our squadron.”

Hardy exhales heavily. “Okay, let me have it.”

“The Flying Corpses.”

Hardy, Rush, and Ariel remain in the briefing room long after the other battle-fatigued pilots have filed out.

“We were winning this war. What happened?” Rush asks.

“They destroyed all our military bases except for this one, and they’ve been relentlessly fierce in battle,” Hardy replies. “They have a military code – never surrender, and they’re willing to do unspeakable things we’d never even consider. They’ve planted bombs in their dead comrades, used biological weapons, and have tortured prisoners for information.”

“There used to be a hundred pilots assigned to this station. Now we’re down to eighteen,” Rush notes.

“They have better pilots, better fighters,” Ariel adds.

Hardy gives Ariel a withering look.

“We have what those savages don’t - faith and determination, and don’t forget it.”

“I was thinking, why are we putting our lives on the line?” Rush asks. “Why not use robots for this mission?”

“Their self-preservation mode would kick in.”

“I’ve always said robots are smarter than us.”

Ariel runs his hand through his thick hair. “Is nobody going to say it?”

“Yes, we’re likely all going to die,” Hardy says solemnly. “If that’s the case, I say, let it be for something meaningful.”

“I’ll try to remember that when my fighter hits the side of the Titan mothership, and it flattens out like a silver dollar.”

Rush listens to the sound of their shoes tapping against the polished floor. Unable to stand the silence, he asks, “Do you think the kid’ll post up?”

“I think when the time comes, Ariel will surprise us both and himself.”

“You really do live on faith, don’t you?” Rush teases. “I’m going to get plastered. You coming?”

“I’m going to record a video for Genevieve. You ought to think about doing one for your Mom.”

“I’d rather not.”

Hardy looks around his quarters at the books he never read, the bed he seldom slept on, and at his closet, wondering if his stylish civilian clothes still fit.

Reminding himself to smile, Hardy turns on the camera.

“Hello, sweetheart. It’s been a while. We got our new assignment today, and it’s a real doozy. That’s why I’m sending you a message instead of talking face-to-face. I couldn’t bear seeing the tears in your eyes when I told you the news. This flight is a one-way ticket. You know I believe in our president, our right to be free, and in the sanctity of family. I know we’ll succeed and that we’ll meet again in Canaan… We’ve planned for this moment, so I know you and the boys will be fine. I remember how safe and warm we felt in each other’s arms when we first met. I can’t wait to feel that way again… Forever…”

Rush takes a deep breath as he turns on the communicator’s screen.

It’s only been a month since he last spoke to his mother, but as her face comes into view, she looks older, like a withering leaf on a rotting tree.

The skin on her face is sallow and saggy, and the bags under her eyes have multiplied and darkened. Her stringy grey hair and bent posture say she’s worn out and ready to die.

She undoubtedly feels the same way about Rush because her first words are, “You look stoved in, son. Are you getting enough sleep?”

“You know me, always burning the candle at both ends. Listen, Mom, the key to my safety deposit box is in the engraved wooden box on my desk. I paid off the mortgage on the house last month, so you should be getting verification soon, and I’ve paid Sis’s tuition.”

“Why are you telling me this, son? Are you in danger?”

“No. It just pays to keep things under control. It’s a lesson I’ve learned from Captain Messerschmidt.”

The two of them stare at one another, their lips quivering, unable to speak.

“Listen, Mom. I’m sorry I was such an unruly clown when I was a kid. I know there were a lot of times I disappointed you and Dad…”

“But look at you now. You shot down eight enemy ships, and you’re defending our last air base. I’m proud of you, son. You’re a hero around here, so I’d say you’ve done all right.”

Rush can feel himself choking up.

“I have to go, Mom. I’ve got to study my flight plan. We’ve got an important mission in a few days.”

“I’ve overlooked something important,” his mother says. “Happy birthday, son.”

Rush forces a smile.

“Yeah, I forgot it’s in a couple of days. Thanks, Mom.”

“And one more thing. I love you, son.”

Hardy and Rush encounter Ariel on the observation deck when heading to the mess hall. He’s staring at the stars, his forlorn expression making him look like a pouty child.

“Stop thinking about it,” Rush says.

“I’m not. Olson and Johnson were bragging about their girlfriends, how pretty they are, how they’re perfect, how they’re so…”

“Oversexed?” Rush says salaciously.

“…I was thinking, here I am facing death, and it’s not fair that I don’t have a girlfriend or I’ve never…”

Hardy and Rush’s eyes widen with surprise.

“You’re a virgin?”

“He’s only eighteen, Rush. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

“Sure, if we were priests. But we’re in the Space Force. We’re the Flying Corpses, the most macho, soon-to-be-extinct daredevils in the universe. You know what, kid? I’ve got the perfect solution. One that’ll put a big smile on your face. Who’s your favorite celebrity?”

“Dean Lawford. He’s a great singer.”

Rush rolls his eyes. “No, no. Who’s your favorite female celebrity?”

“Raquel Russell. We used to watch her movie ‘Attack of the Killer Corsets’ over and over at the orphanage. She’s got those pretty violet eyes and long silky hair. She’s a real bombshell.”

Rush smiles slyly. “Well, then. Bombs away.”

Ariel exits the Pleasure Dome on wobbly legs, a broad punch-drunk expression dominating his features.

A curvy sexbot resembling Raquel Russell blows him a kiss. “Call me!”

“Looks like mission accomplished,” Rush whispers proudly to Hardy. “How was it, kid?”

“Magnificent,” Ariel says dreamily. “Melly was so romantic.”

“Romantic? She was supposed to treat you like a woodpecker drilling a stump.”

“…We talked… We cuddled…”

“But did you?…”

“Eventually.”

“I told you this was a bad idea,” Hardy says. “It’s not natural. It’s like having sex with a toaster.”

“Please don’t say that. I’m in love with Melly.”

“You call it Melly?” Hardy questions.

“Yes, because she can be melancholy. But she’s also able to laugh.”

“Then maybe you should call her Happy,” Rush teases.

“I’m going to marry her when we come back.”

Hardy’s blue eyes narrow.

“There are laws against marrying androids.”

“Yeah, you can get into their gearbox but not their hearts,” Rush says. “Let the kid have his fantasy, Captain. We all know the rules don’t apply to the Flying Corpses.”

Putting on their helmets, Hardy, Rush, and Ariel walk across the tarmac toward their fighters.

“You know, I expected my knees to be knocking together,” Ariel says. “But I feel steady as a rock.”

“Proof youth is wasted on the young,” Rush counters.

Hardy stops to shake Rush and Ariel’s hands.

“Good luck, fellas. And by the way, Rush, happy birthday.”

From his vantage point on the bridge, Colonel Kettering takes out his battle sword, saluting his men.

A lone figure walks across the tarmac toward Ariel’s ship.

“Who in the name of Canaan is that?” Colonel Kettering asks Devin.

“I don’t know, Colonel. It’s a woman. She’s not wearing a helmet. Looks like she’s carrying a bouquet of flowers.”

“How is she able to survive out there without a helmet?”  

Colonel Kettering picks up the bridge microphone, his voice barking across the tarmac. “You, next to fighter A-3! Stand clear!”

The woman looks up at the bridge. Smiling gleefully, she moves closer to Ariel’s fighter.

“Get away from that ship! Davenport, cut your engine!”

Ariel looks down from the cockpit in time to see Melly sucked into the engine.

Melly’s arms, legs, wires, and circuits come spilling out when he turns his engine off.

Ariel stands next to his ship, watching the other pilots take off.

“Did you say she was your girlfriend?” Colonel Ketting snaps, the words echoing flatly through his helmet.

“I think he said ‘friend’, Colonel,” Devin offers.

“Is that right, son? Is that what you said?”

Ariel is glad he’s wearing his helmet so the Colonel can’t see his tears.

“…Yes, sir…”

A maintenance man carrying Melly’s head tosses it to his co-worker.

Ariel shakes his fist at him. “Hey! Show some respect!”

“I wondered if you could cope with the stress of this mission,” Colonel Kettering says gruffly. “You’re too green, son.”

Ariel’s posture stiffens, and he salutes Colonel Kettering.

“I’m ready, sir!”

“Good. I have a special assignment for you. The gravitational pull of the mothership will prevent long-distance communication. We will be unable to reach Captain Messerschmidt and the others. I want you to trail the attack force. Document and record what happens for the record. Keep your distance from the others. Don’t engage the enemy unless it’s absolutely necessary, understand?”

“But sir…”

“You can thank me for sparing your life after we win the war.”

Ariel climbs into his ship and takes off.

Devin turns to Colonel Kettering as Ariel’s ship disappears into the stars.

“What makes Davenport different from the others?”

“He’s a child, barely older than my son. And he’s in love. Granted, it’s a strange, forbidden love, but it shouldn’t be extinguished.”

Devin receives a message in his earpiece from the bridge.

“Colonel…We just received a priority one message from Zendiria… Our forces have surrendered… We’ve lost… The war is over.”

Hardy’s radio crackles with activity.

“This is Parsons in A-15. I’m experiencing mechanical difficulties.”

“Can you make it to the target, A-15?”

“Negative. My engine just cut out. I’m adrift.”

“We’ll send somebody for you, Allen,” Hardy says.

Rush cuts in on the transmission. “That’s three.”

“I can count, Rush.”

“That’s good. Can you count how many enemy fighters are closing in on us?”

“Thirty,” Hardy says, sighing.

Laser blasts illuminate the bleak space surrounding the Zendirian ships.

Olson and Johnson turn their ships to face the enemy fighters and are vaporized. Seven other Zendirian fighters quickly meet the same fate.

Hardy’s fighter dives, a Titan fighter on his tail. He pulls back on the controls, and his ship rises, swooping behind the enemy fighter. Hit by two short bursts from Hardy’s laser cannon, the Titan ship explodes.

Rush ducks behind a tiny asteroid. With his ship’s presence masked by the asteroid, Rush is able to wait until the last two enemy fighters pass.

Emerging from his hiding place, Rush tracks down the first enemy fighter, blasting it with a shot that melts its laser cannons. A second laser blast cripples its engine, leaving it dead in space.

The second ship zigzags in an attempt to lose Rush. Rush fires a rocket that hits the fighter dead center, blowing it up.

“Should have zigged when you zagged,” Rush remarks.

The other Titan fighters break off the engagement and continue their flight path back to the mothership. Hardy and his remaining fighters follow them.

Twenty minutes later, Hardy sights the mothership. The planet-sized ship’s dozens of anti-aircraft lasers go into action, incinerating three Zendirian ships.

“That leaves just us, Captain,” Rush says. “What say we earn our place in Canaan?”

Weaving under heavy fire, Hardy and Rush’s fighters rise above the mothership. Turning, the ships dive, crashing into the mothership’s flight deck. Both ships penetrate the deck, hitting the magazine, which erupts into flames, tearing the mothership apart.

A severely damaged fighter, its hull scorched from laser bursts, makes a rough landing on the air base.

An exhausted Ariel is escorted to Colonel Kettering’s office, where he shows him footage of the battle. The Colonel tells Ariel that the war is over.

“There were six thousand Titans on that mothership,” Devon notes.

“They can only execute me once,” Colonel Kettering replies. “Thank you for your report, Davenport. You have one last duty to perform before you’re discharged.”

Devin goes into the next room. When he returns, Melly is following him.

“You repaired her!”

The pair rush into each other's arms.

“My last order, Mister Davenport, is for the two of you to continue to love one another.”

Holding hands, the couple departs.

Colonel Kettering pulls out his battle sword, breaking it over his knee. 

July 18, 2024 15:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

19:35 Jul 18, 2024

Bound to happen someday!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
18:07 Jul 18, 2024

War in the stars.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.