Contest #187 winner 🏆

Mitzee’s Moment

Submitted into Contest #187 in response to: Set your story in a cat shelter.... view prompt

226 comments

Fiction

Mitzee was in prison for a crime he did not commit.


Well, OK, he probably had committed it once or twice. Who knew? Who kept count? But he was very sure that he had been incarcerated now because of something he didn’t do. He glared through the prison bars, plotting. He was Houdini, Al Capone, and Einstein rolled into one. There was nothing he couldn’t do… except break out of this prison, apparently.


If looks could kill, there would be no one left alive in this joint. If he could get out, he’d make each and every one of them sorry they were born. So he sat and glared, the unblinking, one eyed glare that unnerved his enemies. No one stayed before his cell for long. They moved on quickly, repulsed by his battered visage and death ray glare from his single working eye.


He looked around at his fellow inmates. Some lay resigned to their fate, their eyes blank with despair, others shivered and cried, wailing at their fate with terror. The two brothers in the cell on the end of the opposite row cried in fear. They were barely legal, mere babes, and he wondered what was their heinous crime? What had they done to be sent here to maximum security? Perhaps they were framed.


Directly across from him was Snow. Butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth, and she reclined like a queen surveying her subjects. She knew how to work the system, all the guards bent to her will, as she slowly batted her lashes in their direction, purring her delight to see them again. She was a master at manipulation, that one. He’d met her more than once or twice on the outside, and they’d even had a thing going for a while. She looked sweet and innocent, but she was tough as nails. They had worked one joint together in the old days. She was sleek and fast, in and out with her purloined goods. He had been the scout that time, surveying the joint, ready to set off the alarm or create a distraction. Snow had shared the loot, she was an alright sort. Just don’t get on her bad side, or she’d cut you without remorse.


A smaller visitor stopped before his cell, eyes wide with an emotion Mitzee could not name. Horror? Fright? Disgust? Pick one. He gave the small visitor his best one eyed glare and accompanied it with a snarling growl. The visitor moved on, just as he liked it. He enjoyed being alone. He really did. Less to worry about, less to factor into a daily plan, and Mitzee had a plan. Bath, eat, glare. It worked for him. There was nothing else to do. He was on the countdown to death-row, and he knew it. Not much point worrying about it, not much point wailing. Bath, eat, glare. Right until the end.


Snow obviously had other plans. She simpered in her cell as the small visitor passed, flirting shamelessly. She was a chameleon, good at becoming what she needed to be to survive. Mitzee was just too old for it, it took too much energy, but good for her. Snow’s antics entranced the small visitor and she wound herself sinuously into convoluted dance steps that were designed to hypnotise and mesmerise the audience. Captive became captor, and soon Snow was free. God, she was good! From her small, transportable travel cell, she crowed triumphantly. Off to minimum security prison for her. Mitzee wondered how long it would be before Snow busted out. He reckoned she’d be back here within a month, but it was unlikely he’d still be here to see her. He sent her his best ‘well f*ck off and to hell with you’ glare. She smiled like a cat who got the cream. Good to know they still understood one another, he thought.


The prison guards came and went, his cell was cleaned on a regular rotation and the litter was removed and replaced. If he didn’t dream of freedom, of following the butcher bird in the early morning dawn and pitting his wits against the noisy little bugger, he’d be happy, or at least content. But freedom was as long gone as his eye. This was it for him, and he knew it.


He watched as each inmate got their reprieve, their chance at freedom that was precariously perched in the hands of unsuspecting visitors, victims if you will. But no one came for Mitzee.


“I’m unlovable,” he thought to himself with a kind of twisted pride. “I have a face that only a mother could love, and I never knew my mother.”


“Mommy, look, this kitty’s only got one eye!”


Mitzee opened said eye and glared at the little visitor. She wore a patch over her half her face, and the eye that was visible stared into his cell with interest. He hissed and glared, showing all his teeth. The little visitor’s mouth opened wide, showing him all her teeth too. Mitzee was impressed. Some teeth were missing. This little visitor was a scrapper. Must have fought many battles to be so scarred and toothless.


“I want this one.”


“Honey, don’t you think you should have a good look around? This one’s quite old, and he looks quite beat up!”


The little visitor turned her head to glare at the older one who spoke. Mitzee was at once amazed and enchanted. The glare was awe-inspiring, and it obviously came naturally to her.


“Well, if you’re sure. How about we ask the staff about him?”


Soon Mitzee found himself in a room he had never been in before, but had seen other inmates enter—the meet and greet room. It was strange to be in such wide open spaces again and he crept slowly, stomach low to the floor, poised and ready to leap out of harm’s way at any given second. The little visitor sat cross-legged in the middle of the floor and beckoned with treats and soft noises. Treats! Mitzee had never seen or smelled treats, and, against his better nature, he was intrigued.


“He likes me.”


“It would seem so,” the prison attendant said in amazement. “I’ve never seen old Mitzee cuddle up to anyone before. He’s usually the spitting, hissing kind of cat. We thought to re-home him as a barn cat. Are you sure you want this one?”


The little visitor looked Mitzee in the eye, single eye to single eye. “He’s just like me. He knows how to feel different from everyone else.”


“If that’s what you want to believe, little visitor, who am I to disagree?” Mitzee thought to himself, but outwardly he purred.


For the first time in his life, Mitzee was bundled into the transportable travel cell. This was his big moment, the one he never thought to have. He was off to minimum security. The little visitor babbled about a new home, a bed, food and toys. It all sounded so good, so warm and loving to Mitzee. He yowled a long, “Goodbye suckers!” to the inmates still incarcerated as he was bundled out through the doors, before being settled into the back seat of a car.


He yawned as he watched the scenery flash past, and already he was planning his big escape. His single eye twinkled with glee.

February 26, 2023 00:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

226 comments

13:14 Mar 11, 2023

Michelle, I loved this story so much! I am a huge fan of anything that gives us a cat's inner monologue, and this was so well done! Mitzee was a great character, and I the juxtaposition of Snow "working the system". The ending made me chuckle. I have a feeling Mitzee miiiiiiiight end up being ok with the minimum security, but I could be wrong xD Thank you for this delightful read!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:15 Mar 11, 2023

Thank you for reading it. I have just posted the prequel if you’re interested.

Reply

14:45 Mar 11, 2023

YES! I will be reading this ASAP :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jeannie Thomas
13:07 Mar 11, 2023

Congratulations on your win! I like your story and perspective. I am a big fan of a reveal at the end where there is a resolution in a heartwarming way. As a former writing instructor, I want to give you two small critiques and they may have just been typos: Like many words, "alright" has been used informally for years, but in edited writing, it is "all right". Also, based on the context of the words, "bath, eat, glare," I'm guessing you meant, "bathe" which is the verb, but if you meant, "bath" as a noun, that's different. I hope y...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:23 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have used the words very colloquially. Bathe sounded too posh for my ratbag cat. I tossed it back and forth a few times, but it just looked wrong for my cat to think that way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrew Fruchtman
11:49 Mar 11, 2023

Congrats on the win! Enjoyed your story.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
12:24 Mar 11, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ted Collier
08:14 Mar 11, 2023

You totally had me going at first. Then it was a shelter. HA! I was thinking space or something. This was fun and neat.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
08:26 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Quinn
03:31 Mar 11, 2023

I really enjoyed your story. You really captured Mitzee's character by putting him in prison and telling his story using prison analogies. I can picture him flicking his tail as he gives everybody the one-eyed death ray glare. Congrats on the win.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
03:49 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks Carol, I really enjoyed writing about this cat who was quite unlovable and had a big attitude. Happy that you enjoyed it too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Calm Shark
02:07 Mar 11, 2023

Congrats, Michelle!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
02:28 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
01:50 Mar 11, 2023

Confession: I am addicted to those animal rescue videos on YT where they find cats and dogs that have been abused and abandoned...and I bawl like a baby (but don't tell anyone). This story hit home for me...which was probably the reason why I avoided this prompt. And I congratulate you on the win! :)

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:55 Mar 11, 2023

Thank you. I know what you mean. I love those videos too, and no judgement here. (It’s just something in my eye, probably hay fever! I’m not crying.) I wonder what Mitzee’s back story is, perhaps he was featured on one of those rescue videos.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
01:59 Mar 11, 2023

There are a lot of stories like hers online. And yeah, hay fever. Serious short video clip hay fever... :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Christine Gries
01:07 Mar 11, 2023

Great work, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I too have been squeamish about reading the shelter stories. I really loved this.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:08 Mar 11, 2023

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
00:00 Mar 11, 2023

Heh :) Mitzee's a fun protagonist, and the story took a hard, sweet turn. But it makes sense; "He’s just like me. He knows how to feel different from everyone else." sums it up. They're kindred spirits. Congratulations on the win!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
00:12 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks Michal. Mitzee was fun to write about, such a scamp!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Miriam Culy
21:26 Mar 10, 2023

Wow! So well written and so moving. Loved reading this story x

Reply

Michelle Oliver
00:56 Mar 11, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yen G
20:02 Mar 10, 2023

I love this story! It's so cute and humorous. I love Mitzee. You would think for him to be the bad guy, so I love that he actually got the love he deserved :) Adorable story! I have to read your other ones! :DD

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:51 Mar 10, 2023

Thanks Yen, he’s a pretty tough cat, but perhaps he is just a soft ball of fluff inside.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LEVI WOOD
19:59 Mar 10, 2023

CONGRATS ON THE WIN!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:51 Mar 10, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard E. Gower
19:35 Mar 10, 2023

Congratulations and well done! You really got into Mitzee's head.-:) RG

Reply

Michelle Oliver
19:40 Mar 10, 2023

Thank you for reading about Mitzee and I’m glad you enjoyed the little scamp!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:29 Mar 10, 2023

I like to think that despite Mitzee's plan to escape from his new home, that he will soften with some love from a little one that understands his issues. I am betting that he settles in to a lovely new life.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
19:33 Mar 10, 2023

I’d like to think that too, thanks for reading about this little scamp

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Frances Gaudiano
19:22 Mar 10, 2023

I loved your story. I've worked with animals for 30 years and you have got this type of cat exactly.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
19:34 Mar 10, 2023

Thanks for reading, I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:01 Mar 10, 2023

Great characterization, charming story.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
19:34 Mar 10, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
18:28 Mar 10, 2023

What a wonderful story! Mitzee's personality is so clear. You've made a little work of art that is both poignant and humorous. Brava! I really enjoyed reading it. And congratulations on your win. It's well-deserved.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
19:37 Mar 10, 2023

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
18:16 Mar 10, 2023

Of course I have to give the obligatory "well deserved win" sentiment. This is easy because it's true. Very enjoyable story. Well written:and capturing the various feline spirits and personalities successfully make it more enjoyable still. I can see Mitzi planning his escape, and postponing it over and over until he does actually bond with the little scrapper who chose/freed him. I will read more of your stories when I can. Thank you foe this.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:13 Mar 11, 2023

Yes Mitzee would probably have at least a dozen grand escape plans, that would need to be postponed due to one reason or another. Perhaps this will be the plot of the sequel. Thanks for reading it.

Reply

John Del Rio
05:05 Mar 11, 2023

I look forward to the sequel

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Simone J Fry
18:13 Mar 10, 2023

A big congratulations on your win Michelle. Well done!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:13 Mar 11, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
01:03 Mar 09, 2023

Nice job, Michelle. Mitzee is a force to be reckoned with, the kind of scamp that can get in its own way because of attitude - palatable, fearless and don't tell me what to do! For some, it works as a defense; others, it's borne out of fear or insecurity. But, delving into a cat's mind? I'd surmise it's win me over, bitch! And, I'm thinking, at the right hand of the right human? Shall will be done! Mitzee could have a sequel and a prequel I'd be interested in. Just a thought (and a compliment)!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:00 Mar 09, 2023

Mitzee, the sequel… hmm maybe. Thanks for reading and I’m glad you enjoyed this little scamp.

Reply

Susan Catucci
17:12 Mar 10, 2023

YAY! Congratulations, Michelle! Talk about a force to be reckoned with, eh? That makes YOU a force to be reckoned with as well! I'm so happy for you. Keep writing!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:10 Mar 11, 2023

Thank you! Wow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
11:18 Mar 12, 2023

You inspired me Susan, I posted a prequel. Not quite as charming as the original, but hey it’s there!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.